Start by marking “The Switch” as Want to Read:
The Switch

The Switch

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  233 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Diane Whiteside explores the dark side of sexual fantasies in this tale of controlled desire, submission, and domination. It kicks off when buttoned-down business woman Beth Nakemura goes to a Seattle bookstore, hoping to find a paperback fantasy, but instead meets tall, blond Sean Lindstrom in the erotica section. The two begin to play out ela
Published January 3rd 2006 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Switch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Switch

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Review completed December 16, 2012

This gif reflects my reaction to The Switch. DNF at 50 %. The story/characters bordered on being silly.

Photobucket

I'd be lying if I'd say that I liked the author's voice. The sex scenes are kinda strange and the opposite of well-written. Here are a few writing samples for your perusal in order to get a feel for the story.

His c@ck blazed against her like an iron bar fresh from the furnace, restrained only by his jeans and her suit.

"Show me more, Sean. More of you, the fl
Buggy
Opening Line:"Beth stood on the street corner, waiting for the light to change."

Oh I liked this one, a different sort of erotica then I usually read wherein the man gets dominated by a woman here. The thing that made this so hot for me is that the man in this case is 100% alpha, a manly man, a decorated military man, who also just happens to have fantasies about being Dom’d by a woman.

Diane Whiteside’s writing is sensual rather than sexy with long drawn out love scenes and tons of reader forep
Janet Morris
Mar 07, 2015 Janet Morris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: romance, self-discovery, disappointing-books, disturbing-content, infidelity, politics, death-and-dying, library-books, racism, pov-switching, triggers, bdsm, erotic-romance, erotica, holocaust, contemporary, scotland, america-and-canada, 20th-century, dating, rich, family-drama, contemporary-romance, alpha-male, bisexual-character-written-as-slut, good-friends, dysfunctional-family, taboos, annoying-characters, secrets, custody-battles, sick-relatives, terrorism, virginity-and-abstinence, plotless, jealousy, books-i-need-to-review, pacific-northwest, bad-relatives, grief, asia, underwhelming, memory, genocide, relationships, celibacy, parenting, 2015-reads, backwoods-shaming, sex-with-your-boss, audience-female, audience-adults, 21st-century, hall-of-shame-sex-scenes, family-issues, boy-meets-girl, absentee-parents, past-trauma, adult-fiction, all-kinds-of-sex, almost-dnf, almost-threw-at-the-tv, annoying-ex, hookup, bad-dialogue, betrayal, big-city, boring, caring-for-sick-or-dying-relative, compelled-marriage, coping-with-loss, chemistry-less-couple, crazy-friends-and-relatives, current-affairs, dubious-consent, books-i-didn-t-like, eye-rolling-moments, façades, family-legacy, family-secrets, estranged-family, forced-marriage, frustrating-couple, lead-black-hair, lead-blond-hair, lead-blue-eyes, lead-rich, lead-has-kids, lead-tall, unplanned-pregnancy, too-many-plot-issues, pov-third-person, no-sexual-tension, insta-love, female-authors, mile-high-club, one-night-stand, one-night-stand-wanted-more, smut, lead-smart, story-within-a-story, bad-sex-with-ex, lead-past-trauma, lead-successful, fiction, birth-control, no-glove-no-love, forbidden-dreams, nontraditional, sexual-liberation, marriage-loveless, mf
The Switch was a really bad book. I absolutely loathed this book. I knew five pages in that this book was going to be boring and, in that aspect alone, I was not disappointed.

The book was excessively repetitive on topics that weren't really all that important to the story-line. An example is Beth's continuous grief over Dennis. I get it. This was set two months after 9/11 and he had supposedly died when the World Trade Center collapsed. It would be reasonable for a person to grief and to obsess
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
I won’t be able to come close to Baba’s review of this thing. Her gifs & pics are spectacular, especially the Wall-E. I’m eternally grateful I didn’t spend $16 on this thing; Baba got hosed. I did finish it though. What? There’s no prize?!?!?! >:(

There’s some truly awful cheesiness in this. Case in point: “Naked could be very useful for fucking.” *sad face* Nah unh, you don’t say? Good tip. Good tip indeed.

And so much corn I felt like I took a wrong turn & wound up in Nebraska somehow
Bookfanatic
Feb 06, 2016 Bookfanatic rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring, bdsm
I really couldn't get into the story. I tried to like her, but I didn't care for the heroine. I will give the author props for having an Asian American heroine. Well, the heroine is not completely Asian. She's part Japanese and part Scottish, but how often do we find a heroine like that in this genre?

This is also about a man who can be both dominant and submissive. He was intriguing. He's not into intense humiliation. Much of the domination is mental rather than physical. The erotic aspects are
Daisy Contreras
intresting topics but towards the end it gets kinda weird. . .
Darla Stokes
Sep 07, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd-sm, erotic-romance
I liked this one. Beth, a high-powered business woman of Japanese/Scottish descent, is in Seattle for work and runs into a very Viking-like ex-Army Ranger, Sean, in a bookstore while looking for erotica. She's mostly a Domme, but likes to switch. This book takes place in Nov. 2001. Beth has just lost her last lover, who was working on top of one of the Twin Towers and never escaped. They were never serious about love, but his last words to her, to find someone to make her happy, weigh heavily on ...more
Christie
Feb 21, 2008 Christie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: erotica readers
HOT!!!!! Very engaging and exciting.

This is the second time reading The Switch, and I'm impressed how Whiteside tied her story to the current political situation. Beth Nakamura lost a close friend in the 9-11 bombings and she is hoping her job with the U. S. Treasury will allow her to take an active part in the investigations surrounding the bombings.

Sean is a widower and entering the dating scene reluctantly now that his son is nearing high school graduation and will be removed from any ramific
Ruthie Taylor
Aug 19, 2014 Ruthie Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a very entertaining read. A woman who is a switch, but wishes also to be monogamous, is a woman who needs a very particular man. Has she found him in Seattle, whilst on a high powered conference? As the story develops we get to read some lovely, titillating fantasies as well as some very hot scenes. This well written, fast moving story is well worth a read.
Karen Nichols
Jun 11, 2012 Karen Nichols rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People who launch themselves into a book without reading the excerpt and/or the offered tag lines, shouldn't leave reviews because of your errors.

This is a book about human feelings and needs. Good and sad. Talking and communicating. Wow, what a concept! If your relationship had this level of communication, it would be 125% better, believe me.

The characters are interesting and alive with hot, sensual eroticism. And time. It's not just about a quick pounding and it's over. It's a good BDSM read a
Erinaceina
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this at all, as it's not my usual thing. In particular, I wasn't sure if I'd like the dominant heroine (I wasn't that keen on the heroine in Emma Holly's The Top Of Her Game, which is most definitely erotica, rather than erotic romance, although it does have a happy ending). However, The Switch was both extremely hot and a sweet and tender love story.
Tasula
Nov 10, 2012 Tasula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some parts were OK, but others I thought were stupid (a man goes for YEARS without sex because of a vow to his wife who he doesn't have sex with either?). And for so much explicit sex (including S/M), it just didn't seem erotic to me.
Suzanne
Feb 05, 2009 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This one is all BDSM and pretty explicit descriptions. The author does a great job of keeping the story moving but I know there are some who prefer not to read this particular type of book and wanted to give a small warning.
Nicole
Apr 07, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom
Another gold standard of erotic romance, involving two people who think they are just having fun, but who are actually making a connection. Does involves some bdsm & d/s, but still surprisingly readable!
Karen
Jun 18, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one kept my attention the whole way through the story. I enjoyed this one that this was the second time I read this book.
Jeanne
May 21, 2009 Jeanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-erotica
One of my favorites!
Aelliana
Oct 19, 2014 Aelliana rated it liked it
Shelves: e-r, romance, kink, read-2012
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flo James
Flo James rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Carole-Ann
Carole-Ann rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Alysha
Alysha rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2016
Cherie Jeanne
Cherie Jeanne rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
  • Dare to Surrender
  • When Alex Was Bad
  • Take Your Pick
  • Demon's Fire (Tale of the Demon World, #6)
  • A Hard Man to Love
  • A Wilde Wedding Night (The Brothers of Wilde, Nevada 0)
  • Secret Thirst
  • Take Me (Wild Oats, #1)
  • Mr. Benson
  • I Love Rogues: Zuleika And The Barbarian / All The Secret Pleasures / A Taste Of Honey
  • Slave To Love
  • The Master and the Muses
  • Burning Up: Four Novellas of Erotic Romance
  • Ice Queen (Nature of Desire, #3)
  • Six
  • Sexy Beast II (Sexy Beast #2)
  • Skin Deep
  • One Weekend
By day, Diane Whiteside builds and designs computer systems for the government. By night, she escapes into a world of alpha males and the unique women who turn their lives upside down. Noticing the lack of a husband to keep Diane in line, her Tibetan Terrier stepped up to the plate and makes sure that Diane does everything The Right Way which means lots of walks and dog treats. For more informatio ...more
More about Diane Whiteside...