Clifford's Birthday Party

Clifford's Birthday Party (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  4,212 ratings  ·  28 reviews

Published February 1st 1988 by Cartwheel (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford's Birthday Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford's Birthday Party

Ina
This is another charming book about Clifford's life and his struggles to fit in to this miniature world. The kids enjoyed this story, and there were many laughs to be had, especially when all the guests at the party dream about what Clifford would look like after a trip to the groomers. I was bothered by the way the story centered on birthday presents - at first none of the guests would come, because they felt that their gifts were inadequate for their friend. The bulk of the story features each...more
Angie
Synopsis: "For nearly 30 years, the antic of Clifford, the biggest, reddest dog in America, have delighted young children around the world. With Scholastic Book and Cassette children can read the book, listen to the story, and play along with lovable Clifford. Emily Elizabeth, Clifford's owner, narrates the story on one side, and the other side features imaginative, educational activities."

My Review: Definitely a great one to share as Munchkin's birthday approaches. The classic Clifford characte...more
Maria
This book was not one of my favorites, but it does show that gifts do not mean everything on your birthday. It's the thought that counts.
Carissa M
"Clifford's Birthday Party" by Norman Bridwell is a great way to teach lessons to children. It's Clifford's Birthday Party but none of his friends came, so Emily his owner goes out and finds them playing in the park. They all didn't come because they didn't have good gifts for Clifford. They all run home and grab their gifts and come to celebrate his Birthday. Clifford ended up breaking most of the gifts since he was too big for them, but the best gift of all was his friends coming and the surpr...more
Olivia Bailey
This is a book to celebrate birthdays. After reading each student can write and/or draw about their past birthday experience that meant something to them.

Also it talks about the importance of family. The students can put together a story, song ( record them using instruments and/or singing with a purpose), draw, or any creative outlet to express their importance of family.

Clifford books are known form some cause and effect stories. I could have the students go through and write the cause and ef...more
Amy Rae
Cute, lots of fun to read aloud.
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐
Amanda Kolar
Birdwell (1988) tells a story about Clifford’s friends thinking their presents weren’t good enough to give to him. Elizabeth tells them that it’s about what they get him. It’s about spending time with his friends. I would use this in my classroom. It would help me teach my students that it doesn’t matter what you give a friend as long as it come from the heart. It would also help me teach my students that family and friends are important to spend time with on holidays like birthdays.
Kelsey
This book was particularly great for discussing predictions with students about what might happen next at Clifford's party. There were ellipsises and insinuations throughout that set the reader up for formulating ideas. It also had a great moral at the end that could be talked about as well: friends and family are the best gifts ever.
Robert
May 26, 2012 Robert rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
Shelves: fiction, 2-5, dog, birthday, own, cfc
Eh.

Another Clifford book. Clifford's birthday had issues. Of course, being a huge red dog presents issues. He destroyed the tree when trying to open the pinata. He let the air of the beach ball. Clifford basically mucked things up all over.

It's typical Clifford, which is to say, not great.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 14612 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.5 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Julee
It's time for Clifford's birthday party, but where are his friends? They don't think their gifts are good enough for such a special friend. Clifford shares some fun and friendship and is rewarded with a visit from his family.
This is an awful story. None of Clifford's friends show up to the party and them Emily Elizabeth has problem with all of the gifts. Shouldn't we be teaching our children how to be gracious?
Shantel
not a huge fan of the Clifford books, and they often have ideas that are beyond a 2 year old. But my son seems to like them, although I don't know how much he understands
Bridget
My boys have all loved Clifford and the Clifford books. I have never been a huge Clifford fan, but it sure entertains my little boys.
Clifford has a birthday party and his presents end up being a bit of a problem - a pinata, for example, causes him to bash a fence over!
Sheila
A nice children's story for beginner readers or struggling readers, or just for those who enjoy Clifford the Big Red Dog.
Jeffrey
Cute, entertaining Clifford book with the usually reliable sense of whimsy found in most of this series.
Karley
Cause and effect
Student birthday
Inspire writing about student experiences
Family
Adam
Clifford always feels pretty dated, but I love the pinata aftermath.
Theresa
good early reader, using texet to relate to the television show
Kathryn
Not my favorite, but my son likes it and that's what really matters.
Beth
Clifford understands that his friends and family are the best gifts.
Dimps
One of my childhood favorites. :)
Amanda
A good book that I enjoyed as a child.
Benjamin Plume
Clifford, with a party hat.
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • Just a Mess (Little Critter)
  • Curious George Visits the Zoo
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...
Clifford the Big Red Dog Clifford's Halloween Clifford The Small Red Puppy Clifford The Firehouse Dog Clifford's Puppy Days