Tartine Bread

Tartine Bread

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  903 ratings  ·  58 reviews
For the home or professional bread-maker, this is the book of the season. It comes from a man many consider to be the best bread baker in the United States: Chad Robertson, co-owner of Tartine Bakery in San Francisco, a city that knows its bread. To Chad, bread is the foundation of a meal, the center of daily life, and each loaf tells the story of the baker who shaped it....more
Published September 29th 2010 by Chronicle Books

Tartine Bread by Chad RobertsonFlour Water Salt Yeast by Ken ForkishTartine Book No. 3 by Chad RobertsonBouchon Bakery by Thomas KellerHow to Make Bread by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou
BREAD--Stars That Rise & Shine
1st out of 32 books — 4 voters
Love Soup by Anna ThomasGood Meat by Deborah KrasnerThe Blue Chair Jam Cookbook by Rachel SaundersThe River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallReal Cajun by Donald Link
James Beard Award Cookbooks
44th out of 100 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Naomi
I have a LOT of bread books. This is the best. Not because it has hundreds of different recipes and fancy rolls and pastries- it doesn't. Not because it has breads from round the world- it doesn't. What it DOES have is the best sourdough bread you have ever tasted, with the simplest and most foolproof method ever. This bread beats anything you will buy, it has flavour, texture, colour and it keeps. The best toast in the known and unknown universes, and the recipe can be adjusted to your own circ...more
Mo Tipton
If I could give this book an excess of five stars, I would. I sat down to flip through the pictures, and instead found myself immersed in Robertson's journey from culinary school grad to professional baker by way of the Berkshire Mountains, bicycling through vineyards in Provence, and finding himself back in North Carolina, with an eventual migration to San Francisco's Mission, where he now operates the famous Tartine Bakery.

If you're looking for a simple bread recipe, move on, but if you want a...more
Steve Turtell
The book is gorgeous but inadequate. The instructions are not clear and Robertson seems more interested in his image as a too-cool-for-you surfer dude baker than in creating a book that is what it should be: a fool-proof method for baking great bread at home. If that's what you want, I'd advise buying Jim Lahey's My Bread or Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery, both of which I've used with zero problems ever--and Keller also gives expert foolproof instructions for making your own starter, so it's not...more
Christopher Bunn
This is, hands-down, the best book I've ever read on baking bread. Clear, concise information. Beautifully written with how Robertson interweaves his life and baking journey. Fantastic photographs. Good recipes.

I'm a total foodie, constantly hunting down interesting recipes. This is partially due to the fact that I live on a farm and that we have a commercial farm bakery where we bake tons of pies each week with the produce we grow. It's also due to the fact that cooking and baking are pure cre...more
Mrs.
What this book is: a compilation of recipes from Tartine Bakery.
What it is not: a comprehensive bread baking book.

There really are only a few bread recipes in here, and the author goes into great, and I mean GREAT, lengthy detail about his breads, his philosophy, and how to make them. So, if you are not into creating and nursing sourdough starters, or don't need 20 pages of instructions to teach you how to make an artisan loaf of Tartine bread, this is not the book for you. There are plenty of o...more
Carter Ashby
Part recipe book, part memoir of a bread maker's search for a loaf with an "old soul," this book is a must have for any bread enthusiast, whether you're just starting out or have been at it a while. I enjoyed the romance of Robertson's bread making journey, which got me pumped to make my first loaf using the basic country loaf recipe. The photographs are both artistic and thoroughly useful. If you follow the method you'll turn out, as I did, a high risen, crusty loaf that makes that gorgeous cra...more
Darius
This is a beautiful book and a fabulous method for making the best bread you have ever tasted. Certainly better than you can buy in the grocery store. It'll take time and practice, but the result is amazing.

Chad's descriptions make this possible. He lays out all the steps and describes well how the starter and dough should look and smell at every stage. I've made dozens of loaves over the last year and while I'm still not perfectly consistent, the bread is almost always superb.

But be warned. T...more
Heather
Really spent a long time with this one. I don't mean to be too big of a hater, because I did learn a lot from this book, but unless you are the world's most dedicated home baker, you're still going to find this process a bit arduous. The good: really sold me on the benefits of growing your own starter. The bad: kind of fussy, prissy process to getting to the end goal (especially *after* trying and succeeding with a no-kneed, Lahey-approved method).

On the plus side, the bread-based recipes (e.g....more
Daisy
I have started my starter, am feeding it every day now to make my eventual leaven: words I never imagined I'd say.

Instructions for every step of the way, from creating a starter to baking a loaf, are clear and well illustrated. I already understand new things! I love the romantic science (chemistry, magic) of bread-baking. The photographs are not only beautiful, they are really useful and revealing. The documentation of steps to make the Basic Country Bread is key to seeing how the dough progres...more
Rj
After reading Chad Robertson's Tartine Bread I decided to try his recipe for wild yeast bread starter. The book is a bread lover's bible filled with not only bread recipes but how Robertson developed his love and passion for bread. The process is relatively simple, just requiring attention and care.

"Developing a starter begins with making a culture. A culture is created when flour and water are combined, and the microorganisms-wild yeasts and bacteria present in the flour, in the air, and on th...more
Foxthyme
Gorgeous, gorgeous book. If you are a real bread lover, the kind of bread where you hunker in to chomp the crust and then chew the inner goodness--not that that supposed bread stuff that dissolves in water and smell like chemicals, well then this bread book is for you. The process may take a bit of coordinating at first, but when you have it down, you will be able to make the kind of bread people fly across the country to certain bakeries for.
Marta
May 29, 2013 Marta added it
The method is good, but I think the instructions in The Bouchon Bakery Cookbook are better. I will revisit this again when I have more experience. It's a beautiful cookbook with gorgeous photos and some excellent recipes for using leftover bread. I do recommend it, if for no other reason that inspiration.
Based on SF baking conditions. M says even all the testers for this book must have been based in SF as there are no tips for making your baking environment COOLER, only warmer.
M
Mar 17, 2014 M rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
Loved: the photography, the descriptions of how the dough should feel or smell at different stages in addition to the usual visual terms. Many of the recipes are inspiring.

Not so much: the tips seem really tied to San Francisco - no help for high altitude bakers. Also not a great method for small batch home baker dilettantes liked myself - I know starters and levain are the way to get great flavor but just can't bring myself to love a method that calls for discarding so much food, nor daily atte...more
Elizabeth
Jul 13, 2012 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: any home cook who bakes bread
After accidentally on purpose murdering my wild yeast starter a few years ago, I vowed I would never have a pet again. But after reading Robertson's words about how to achieve wild yeast bread that ISN'T sour, I have changed my mind and am anxious to try wild yeast bread again.

I loved this book! I love the mixing, shaping and slashing techniques (Robertson's boule shaping can be viewed in a video about Tartine Bread; this boule shaping is the reason that his book was given to me), various bread...more
Goran
A joy to leaf through, with wonderful photos and some great recipes, but I've perhaps been spoilt by the brilliant "The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens" (Daniel Wing & Alan Scott).
Ginna
I feel like I'm cheating on James Beard with this one. But oh! wild yeast! Combo dutch oven! steaming and cracking! Who wouldn't hunger for a little of that?

Aaaaannd now I'm finished. But that just means I know where the good parts are so I can go back to them. One of these days I may even make croissants....

Beautiful pictures, nice depth & history of breadmaking, good (but not great) descriptions of technique. I actually prefer the illustrations in Beard on Bread to the process photos here...more
Jarkko Laine
May 04, 2011 Jarkko Laine rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: advanced home bakers
It's hard to say *when* you have really read a cookbook. That's why I haven't listed most of my other baking books at GoodReads yet. Tartine Bread is quite different from most: it can actually be read as a book!

The recipes are great (although there aren't that many) and the Basic Country Bread from this book is my favorite bread recipe so far. Yet the beauty of this book is in its story and the love for bread that shines from every page.

While I wouldn't recommend this book as the first book fo...more
Timothy
I don't usually read cookbooks cover-to-cover, but I made an exception for this one. I really want to start making good sourdough bread so this was a must-read. I've made my starter and I'm making my first loaf tomorrow. I very much enjoyed the book and if it delivers on the descriptions and photos, I'll be very pleased

Edit: I've now made several loaves and they turned out very well. I've also tried some of the recipes for using left-over bread. I'm very please with the book!
Peter Zingg
I am learning to fit Tartine's 12 hour bread recipe (actually it takes 18 hours if you include the time to feed your levain) into a normal life. I start mixing dough at 10 pm, bulk rising it overnight in my cold January kitchen, forming it at 6:30 in the morning, and then it's ready for the oven after my morning shift from 7:30 to 10 am.

Lots of information and pictures in the book help you understand what's going on with your dough, but as with all good cooking, it's your practice that makes the...more
Heidi
Mar 16, 2014 Heidi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Gorgeous, and a story to boot1
Tim
let's be clear - you won't make any of these recipes. the basic recipe (i use 'basic' incredibly loosely here) is 87 pages long. no, i'm not kidding you. and then all the other recipes expand from that basic leaven/dough. so this is obviously the best bread in the whole world because it takes 6 weeks, 18 tries, and 87 pages to get a freaking leaven, but i'm knocking off a star because of the sheer impossibility of it all. (oh, but i'm trying it out anyway - will update after first successful go)
HeatherH
Love this book. The pictures are lovely. The bread is mouthwatering.

I have only made the country loaf. It has turned out wonderful everytime. Looking forward to making more of the recipes.

What I really love about this book is all the personal stories of those who tested the recipes. The stories were interesting and inspirational.

If you want to learn to make exceptional sourdough bread buy this book! It's worth every penny.
Clay
The book is well crafted, well written, and includes beautiful photography. Also, the bread is superb. Artisans like Chad Robertson fan the small spark of hope that I have left in humanity.
Amy
Jul 31, 2012 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Bread Appreciation and Artisan Living 101:

There is a tremendous difference in making something by hand than by machine. In bread, it affects everything, from crumb to flavor. Tartine confirms the theory of the 5 minutes a day approach to bread making, albeit for different reasons and from a different point of view. In short, when mixing by hand, the dough has to be looser.
Roxi
I put my life on hold over this book! I'm headed for San Francisco this week to finally taste Chad Robertson's bread, and compare his to mine. It took me almost a year to read through the cookbook, and try the recipes. Each process and recipe is an adventure, and opened up an entirely different world for me! So grateful for this book!
Carolin
This book is beautiful with stunning photography and clean typography. The bread recipe is still a little intimidating to me. Taking care of a starter every day scares me. Sometime in the future I'll give it a try.
I did however make the Panzanella and it was fantastic.

I can't wait to try some bread from Tartine Bakery in San Francisco.
Minneapolani
If you pick this sucker up and think "oh good! bread made easy!" you're going to be disappointed. This is a love story, a loyalty pledge and a food science-ish manual to make serious bread. Definitely not for novices, there are just a few recipes in the book and the main is over 60 pages long. A text, not a cookbook.
Maureen
The rumors are true, this book will help you make a solid loaf of bread. With a tender inside. Snowstorm proof, tested and approved.
Scott
I included this book in my survey of artisan bread methods (also read Lahey and Forkish). I picked up a number of nice tips and incorporated several points from Robertson's book in my final version of the recipe. This book is definitely worth your time when learning about artisan bread.
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home
  • Baking
  • The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Momofuku Milk Bar
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • The Bread Bible
Tartine Book No. 3 Tartine Brown Bread Tartine Book No. 3: Modern Ancient Classic Whole Tartine Edible Selby