Start by marking “Night Show” as Want to Read:
Night Show

Night Show

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  675 ratings  ·  27 reviews
High-school prankster Tony Johnson kidnapped school beauty Linda Allison and locked her in a haunted house for the night. Linda didn't see the funny side. Now Tony is in Hollywood and has forgotten all about Linda. But she certainly hasn't forgotten him.
Published October 1st 1994 by Headline Book Publishing (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Night Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Show

♍ichael Ƒierce
May 18, 2015 ♍ichael Ƒierce rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Splatterpunk, 80's Horror movies and early Stephen King
3 1/2 stars rounded up because, though the subject matter & plot were not as intriguing as other books I've read of his, Richard Laymon is a Master storyteller of Horror, and I couldn't put this down until I finished.
 description
Melissa
Night Show is, in typical Laymon fashion, a non-stop thrill ride from start to finish. The tale follows Dani, known in the movie biz as the Queen of Horror Movie Special Effects, as she is relentlessly stalked by a disturbed superfan who calls himself the Chill Master. His enthusiasm for scaring movie audiences seems creepy yet innocent enough at first until the Chill Master keeps showing up to Dani's house at the most opportune times. Will Dani be the Chill Master's next victim? Not as brutally ...more
Trace
Hmmm not sure why I keep bothering with Laymon other than the fact I want to keep up with reading a different book every few days and I enjoy a fast read sometimes that doesn't require much thought. This one was pretty lame to be honest. But nonetheless I definitely know what I am in for when reading Laymon so my own fault! Says a lot about myself actually that I keep reading his novels!!!
John
NIGHT SHOW reads like a made-for-TV thriller, like a mix between a TNT Original Movie and something you might stumble across on Cinemax late at night in your hotel room.
It's a guilty pleasure that caters to undiscerning consumers, men and women alike: Blood, guts, and old-school horror film references for the men; Harlequin-style sex and romance for the women.
The plot is about as basic as you can get: A woman is being followed by a stalker. Things escalate. The end. There is a brief additional
Bandit
Classic Laymon, albeit considerably less sexually deviant as some of his work. No rape for one thing. No bestiality. Both leads are fairly capable females. I loved the fact that it has to do with horror movies. Still plenty of T & A and horny teenagers and scares, but relatively tame comparing to some of Laymon's work. Entertaining and very quick read and glorious Steve Crisp's cover, which makes UK published Laymon books such a treat. Definitely recommended.
Andrew
One of the leanest Laymon novels I've ever read. Definitely not the prime rib with all the trimmings - no, sir, 'Night Show' is that sirloin choice cut. A little weirdness here and there, the sleazy glazed potatoes on the side and some of that Laymon gorgonzola on the house salad. Straightforward revenge story mixed up with some romance novel erotica and a solid dash of melodrama. A lot of people tend to define Mr. Laymon's work as 'splatter punk'. I honestly have no idea what that means. To me, ...more
Patrizia
Rache ist süß
Sara
Though I found it a bit slow in the beginning, but once I got into it I really enjoyed it :)
chucklesthescot
Tony liked to play nasty tricks on people at school and his prank led to Linda being badly hurt. But Tony has moved on and is trying to get the job of his dreams working for the Queen of special effects in Hollywood, by using his tricks to scare her as well. Linda hasn't forgotten Tony though, and is plotting her revenge against him.

This was a decent read. You hated Tony and his nasty friends and I loved the way Linda started to get her revenge on those who had wronged her! I was cheering her on
DJMikeG
This is far from Laymon's best work. That said, if you have a long bus ride, this is a great read. At only 190 pages, I was able to finish it on an 8 or so hour bus ride. Its a fun, twisted little romp. With the right director and actors, this would make an awesome movie. Its messed up, fast and crazy. I would have probably given it 3 stars, but there were some problems with the characters and with there being missing pages towards the end of the book. Looks like it was an editing error, so we c ...more
Robjr73
This felt very Alfred Hitchcock-like to me. The sex and romance got a little redundant and boring but otherwise a nice creepy, suspenseful read. I can't stop reading Laymon...
Wayne
Good for a horror novel. Far from Laymon's best. I expected a few more twists and turns from him. All in all a nice time waster.
Elso
With an altar ego as the "Chill Master" you know you are in for a great ride. Another classic Laymon read.
Vicious
Took awhile to decide whether I liked this a lot, or only a little.

Turns out, it was a lot - once I realized what Laymon was doing. The whole book is a horror movie double feature. There's the over-the-top-sort-of-schlocky revenge plot, and the "higher production value" stalker main plot. Once you take the book on these terms, it's absolutely wonderful, and Laymon's style and pacing are just fantastic.

This was my first exposure to Richard Laymon - won't be my last!
Nick
As noted by my rating, eh . . . it was okay. Tony, this book's version of Laymon's creepy stalker guy archetype, does a good job at being relentlessly weird and troublesome to our heroine, but I think the story suffers from the lack of developed characters and plot. Linda's vengeance makes for a good secondary storyline, but it too needed some fleshing out to flow better with the main story and not feel as forced when it came time to tie the parts together.
Jamie
While this had the traditional Laymon trademarks, horny teen-aged boys with a vicious streak, nude or semi-nude women, and brutality, it just didn't add up to a great tale. Like MsPooh and ellymae58 I found the transition between two sets of characters to be awkward. Either one on its own would have been an interesting tale if developed further but by combining the two it gave short shrift to story and character development on both fronts.
Andrew Costello
A pretty solid Laymon book although certainly not my favourite.
Mehmet
This book was a quick read and lots of fun. Lots of reference to horror films and special effects as the two main characters work in the film industry. I enjoyed it but did not find it one of his best works. Only read if you are a Laymon fan or if you want to try one of his novels to start off. The gore and violence is less then some of his other novels, which is not a bad thing to be honest.
Joe
Jun 07, 2013 Joe added it
Shelves: horror
I really enjoyed this book. Once you get past Laymon's notoriously squicky depiction of both women and sex, you will find a fantastic portrayal of an immature personality with no concept of boundaries who preys upon the kindness of the protagonist. It's a surprisingly nuanced portrayal of the sharper side of mental illness, free from the usual horror movie histrionics. I recommend it.
Daniel Russell
I love Laymon, but this is far from his best. I enjoyed the insight into horror SFX and make up, but there wasn't the nasty feel of other Laymon books. It's...okay. If you haven't, I'd read One Rainy Night, Endless Night or Island.
Nick Cato
This is the first novel I read by Laymon (21 years ago!) and I still think it's one of his best. I hope Leisure re-releases this one soon so a new generation can see why the author has such a devoted following.
Andrew
Not exactly vintage Laymon. The writing, normally so lean and spare, is a little on the perfunctory side, and I really didn't buy into any of the main characters. Even so, it's Laymon…
PsypherPunk
The literary equivalent of the schlock-horror films it keeps referencing. It's mindless fun but when everyone is utterly moronic it's gets a little tired.
Mark
Sep 05, 2011 Mark rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
One of the earlier Laymon's, by contrast to his later overblown stuff, this is actually told too quickly. And it's not a great story either.
Dave
Vintage Laymon - beautiful
Kimberly Bass-McCandles
Kimberly Bass-McCandles marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
  • House of Blood
  • The Bighead (Author's Preferred Version)
  • Triage
  • Population Zero
  • Darkfall
  • Dominion
  • The Last Motel
  • Blood Red
  • Stolen Angels
  • Castaways (Leisure Fiction)
  • Night Life
  • The Drive-In (A B-Movie with Blood and Popcorn, Made in Texas)
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...
The Traveling Vampire Show The Cellar Island Endless Night In the Dark