Start by marking “The Cinderella Deal (Loveswept)” as Want to Read:
The Cinderella Deal (Loveswept)

The Cinderella Deal (Loveswept)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,607 Ratings  ·  779 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Jennifer Crusie brings humor and storytelling magic to this modern-day romance of a match made anywhere but in heaven—but destined for a fairy-tale ending.

Daisy Flattery is a free spirit with a soft spot for strays and a weakness for a good story. Why else would she agree to the outrageous charade offered by her buttoned-down workaholic ne
Published (first published October 1st 1996)

Tammy
The Cinderella Deal is a straight-forward romance, minus the secondary characters and complicated mystery plots in Crusie's later books. She manages to take the old fake marriage trope and add her own clever spin to it.

Daisy and Linc are both likable and very typical of Crusie's characters (him/straight-laced and her/bohemian). Even the pets developed their own personalities.

The banter between Daisy and Linc was entertaining and the sexual tension between the two had me glued to this book from
Sara
I loved, loved this book. There is the fairytaile-y feeling, the romance is deep, there is humor, and two strays cats and a stray dog, what more can you ask?
The love-hate initial relationship is great and the development of the love story is even better. I would definitely recommend this book.
Ami
Jun 03, 2012 Ami rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Just when I am ready to 'embrace' M/F contemporary romance again, I have to stumble into this BLAH story. At first I though, "Hey, I used to like Jennifer Crusie's older stories, so this might work". Especially since this is supposed to be a revised version. Oh, how WRONG I was!!

How wrong? Let me count the ways.

Yes, I know the blurb says it will going to be one-of-those-fake-wife thing. I'm good with that ... if only I can find each of the character as likeable. But nope, not at all. I think Lin
Emma
Adored this book, really romantic. I don't know how to explain it, but the style was different... somewhat old fashioned...profound!
I loved it.
I also love stories that start as a love/hate relationship.
Saly
Loved the book, JC just has this very different style. The heroine is quite bohemian, she quit her teaching job to be an artist, lives in a mis-matched apartment with cats, wears weird loose clothes and is not the hero's type who likes blondes but she is his perfect fake fiancée and would help him get a teaching job at a college. Her transformation makes him want her but he knows she is a hurricane while he is all dull and boring, the heroine finds him stifling, he reminds her of her father who ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 06, 2014 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
Once I got past the premise, I found myself completely enjoying this book. I mean, I don't buy the whole pressure on Linc to be all Stepford and to go so far as to propose his deal with Daisy. It just didn't work for me.

Fortunately, I knew that was going to be weak going in. As fortunate, I found myself liking both Daisy and Linc and their mutual maturation through the course of the story—after subtracting about ten years from their stated ages . . . okay so the surrounding story wasn't very sol
Carrie
ETA: (9/17/10) I listened to this on audio narrated by Susan Boyce. The narrator has a nice, strong voice and does a fine job with the story. I usually listen to audiobooks while I occupy myself doing chores or walking. However, this time I simply listened to the last 2 hours of the book while sitting quietly with my eyes shut. It was a great way to experience the story, being immersed in it. Even knowing the ending, I felt the anxiety of both Linc and Daisy as they came to grips with their feel ...more
Jessie
Daisy, a woman who has a messy apartment, messy clothes, and a messy life, is seriously in need of money. Her landlord came one day and found the cat Daisy just adopted. And he also came to tell her that she didn't pay her last month's rent. Lincoln, who was next to them, couldn't help but overhear her predicament and came up with a proposition. Daisy was to pretend to be his fiancée, so that he could land a job at Prescott. In exchange for helping her pay her rent ($300), and add in a thousand ...more
Kathy
Jun 09, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread. Still funny as hell especially Jupiter the one-eyed, broken-tailed, limping dog who tends to fall over at odd times. I loved how Jennifer Crusie not only worked the Cinderella tale into Daisy and Linc's romance but subverted and tweaked it so that none of the characters are stereotyped.

description

Susana

This is a story that i can't even complaint on how much it disappointed me...

I picked it up because i just wanted a nice, fast read to just "cleanse" my mind for the next "earth shattering" story that happened to come my way!
So yes, i just wanted something fluffy to read! Something that would just leave me with a stupid smile on my face, and that i would mostly forgot in the following week.... o_O
Instead i got a novel capable of rousing my inner feminist...not that she needs being rous
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This turned out to be a surprisingly quick, funny & romantic read! Linc's name got on my nerves at the beginning until I found out his name was short for Lincoln, DUH DAISY!! & of course I loved Daisy's name. **I wonder why?** :)

Linc & Daisy are total opposites and would never even consider speaking to one another until Linc realizes that he needs Daisy to pretend to be his wife so he can get his dream job at a university. Daisy & Linc go through their ups and downs as they unra
Jill
Jan 17, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful surprise. I read the occasional romance novel for a fluffy lark but I'm picky about them. I read a couple of Jennifer Crusie's other books and liked them because they're funny, breezy and not always entirely formulaic.

The Cinderella Deal starts off the same as expected: girl (Daisy) meets boy (Lincoln), they dislike each other, Wacky Shenanigans force them to spend time together, and Hijinks Ensue involving uncontrollable attraction, snarky dialogue and several dysfunc
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Lincoln Blaise is a college professor and an author. He's also a stick in the mud and usually an ass. Whilst searching for better employment he tells a lie to the hiring board that he has a fiancee. When they want to meet her he better find one quick. who else can he come up with but a natural story-teller - the flake who lives downstairs. No not the friendly blonde that he's friends with and has had repeated carnal knowledge of her body, that would make sense. But instead the really wacky brune ...more
Leona
Feb 20, 2013 Leona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
It's been awhile since I have read a Jennifer Cruise book. I have always been a big fan of hers. After all the glowing reviews, I thought I would give this one a read. However, I felt it lacked the sizzle and tension and just downright fun her other books have.

I would say this one was just okay. I settled at 2.5 stars. Her other books are so much better
CP
Jan 03, 2016 CP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!
Feb 26, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crusie fans, Kate Hepburn fans, romantics!
Recommended to Jennifer by: Tammy
This was really fun to listen to while knitting away on the tread mill. A straight up fun romance novel that harkens back to the old black and white slap-stick movies.

Daisy is a former teacher who quit her job to become an artist and a story teller. Linc is a straight laced professor who lives in a very crisp, clean and organized world. (Think of a house decorated by Sharper Image and you will get Linc in a nut shell.)

Linc applies for a position at his dream college - and when he fears he will
Jane Stewart
Jul 14, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars. Fluffy, enjoyable, light romance. The characters were stereotypes but fun. It’s a nice little escape.

STORY BRIEF:
Daisy is an artist; she paints pictures. She also tells stories at local libraries and book stores. She buys clothes and furniture at thrift shops. Her home is full of color. She adopts damaged dogs and cats. She’s desperately in need of a thousand dollars for back rent and other necessities.

Linc is Daisy’s neighbor. He drives a black Porsche which Daisy calls the nazimobile
Christine
Nov 21, 2010 Christine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I didn't feel that this book was as strong as Jennifer Cruisie's other work. I didn't hate it, but it seemed to lack that spark that usually draws me into her stories and makes me laugh. In fact, this book didn't make me laugh at all. Or chuckle. I might have broken into a smile a couple of times, but even at moments that I knew were supposed to be funny, I just couldn't manage it.

In a nutshell, this is an oppositse attrack story involving a stuffy college professor and an oddball artist. In or
Mouse
May 02, 2011 Mouse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a DNF for me.

I would have never picked this book. It was recommended to me by a friend. Honestly, the cover is flat-out awful. I would have never, ever read it based on that alone.

The tone was older. I smiled a few times, but that was pretty much it. There was none of the snappiness I like (probably why there was no man-titty on the cover).

Nothing worked for me, not the set up or the characters. Linc was a big douche. He'd slept with Daisy's friend and yet wanted Daisy to pretend to
Shxrxn
Mar 20, 2010 Shxrxn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m broke.Nothing new.
- Daisy
I’m so tired of worrying about everything.
- Daisy
Sometimes stories are just previews of coming truths.
- Daisy
People throw away too many things because they always want new. But if you look at old things, they have history and personality and spirit. The things that I have that I love best are the old things that I’ve rescued. They have stories of their own, and then I fix them up and they’re part of my story too.
- Daisy
I can’t hold on to the past, and I can’t keep do
Namratha
Aug 11, 2010 Namratha rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This romantic comedy is recommended for those days when you have encountered one too many frogs who failed turn into loyal, charming princes…the days when everything seems to go wrong and all you want is a Happy Ending, however predictable and seasoned with clichés it is. The Cinderella Deal serves as good comfort food for those ‘I-want-to-stay-in-bed’ days.

Meet boho-chick artist, Daisy Flattery who believes in clash and contrast. She wears clothes in eye-watering colours, takes home stray dogs
Norma
reread, 3/13/15. well re-listen. :) still love this book just as much. I just love the whole story. I wish I could meet Daisy and have her tell me a story. :)

The first thing that comes to mind is WOW. I find Jennifer Crusie to be very hit or miss--with an emphasis on the miss. The only reason I still give her a chance is because I loved Bet Me so much. Until today, that was the only book by her I could say I loved. This book was terrific. It felt like it was written by the same author who wrote
MissMaj
Feb 29, 2016 MissMaj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally me after I finished the book
Oswego Public Library District
The Cinderella Deal is a fun, flirty, and very steamy romance by Jennifer Crusie. The only thing Daisy and Linc have in common is that they both live in the same building. Daisy is a warm and free-spirited artist who happens to be crunched for money while cool and collected Linc has just scored his dream job – the only catch? He needs a fake fiancée to make his new boss happy, and quirky Daisy is the woman for the job. The Cinderella Deal is fast-paced and funny, with a lovable cast of character ...more
Cindy
Jul 23, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
When a man comes to you for help, what do you do? You aid him of course! For a thousand dollars.
Or at least that was the idea when dear Lincoln Blaise came to ask Daisy Flattery to be his fiancée for a day.
Could this be the start of something real? Or will this fairy tale end after midnight?

It was so obvious. He was everything she was not and vice versa. He is serious, colourless, cold and strict while she is the definition of colour, warmth and intuitive actions.
Meet Daisy Flattery, a woman
Jacqueline
Enchanting lighthearted story of a staid professor who asks a ditzy artist to pretend to be his fiance in order for him to get the professorship he wants. She turns his life around. I thoroughly enjoyed this. The couple worked well together and the story was charming. Nice secondary characters. Well written with good pacing and plotting.
Jennavier
Jun 06, 2015 Jennavier rated it really liked it
6/15 Reread: I love rereading Jennifer Crusie because I don't have to worry about the issues. I know things might be a over the top or ridiculous and I don't even care. It makes for great reading!

I had a hard time suspending my disbelief in the beginning but I loved the rest. I completely fell in love with the story!

Nidofito
It's a nice story but Crusie's written better. The personalities of the H/h and the spark between them wasn't as good as say the couple in Welcome to Temptation and Bet me but they were pleasant to read.

Nonetheless, I think I'm about to go on another Crusie binge-read :D
Marleen
***3,5***
What I liked best about The Cinderella Deal" is that’s it’s beautifully tender and moving. It’s also very human. It’s a credit to Crusie to be able to manage to inject both funny and touching moments into a wonderfully developed little romance. This book dates from 1996, and I must admit that the contemporary Crusie doesn’t write that like anymore.
Linc and Daisy are two very different people, and at first they aren't sure whether they really like one another. But gradually, Linc begins
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
  • Catch of the Day (Gideon's Cove, #1)
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils (Playboys, #2)
  • The Fortune Quilt
  • All They Need
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • Tallie's Knight
  • Gone With the Nerd (Nerds, #4)
  • Tangled Up In You (Truly Idaho, #2; Writer Friends, #3)
  • Getting What You Want (Stepp Sisters Trilogy, #1)
  • Coming Undone (Marine, #4)
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...

“That’s not a father. That’s a sperm donor. Forget him. He’s a mess. Concentrate on me. I’m terrific. -(Linc Blaise)” 25 likes
“That furniture cost me a fortune! It's designer furniture."
"Designed by whom ? Darth Vader ? The Hitler Youth ?”
11 likes