Start by marking “You Have the Power: Choosing Courage in a Culture of Fear” as Want to Read:
You Have the Power: Choosing Courage in a Culture of Fear

You Have the Power: Choosing Courage in a Culture of Fear

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Frances Moore Lappé-author of the million-selling Diet for a Small Planet-and Jeffrey Perkins offer the radical notion that our fears can be a source of energy to create the lives and the world we want.

NOw more than ever, it seems, our lives and the lives of our loved ones are at risk. Our normal response is to retreat. But what if fear were not a negative force but a po
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about You Have the Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Have the Power

Joyce
Jan 26, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.

The right book at the right time.

Lappe and Perkins present a reasoned argument for the need to think differently.

Their are so many problems in our country and the world that need addressing, but not in the traditional ways we have thought about things.

When we are able to use our fear, risk being different and aligning with people outside of our traditional network, we find new outlooks and means for addressing entrenched problems.

Thought provoking and timely. (also relatively short and
ChaCha Ala Mode
This was a grad school book. It is not a difficult read, but it is much the same stuff over and over. I did enjoy reading other people's experiences, but like most other grad school texts, I never read it in college.

The writing is simple, and maybe that makes for a difficult attention span. The fact that I have already figured much of this out made it seem boring. I am glad that I now have terminology and reference for some of my life choices, overall if you are not self aware it will benefit y
Lisa
May 16, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book about fear, making a difference and living one's dream. I am loving it. Recommended for anyone who's not sure what that next step is.

I finished it, and the resource lists and quotes at the back of the book are particularly valuable.
C.A.
Nov 04, 2010 C.A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the message that fear is as powerful as you choose to make it, like all self-help books they dont' provide much in the way of pratical advice. Still, an inspiring read.
Christina
Feb 09, 2008 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-justice
This book is short and little and I remember REALLY liking how positive it was. I just saw it on my bookshelf and kind of want to read it again.
Lisa
Jan 02, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just starting, Lappe wrote the bible for eating as if the world mattered, Diet for a Small Planet
April
Apr 03, 2010 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love this book. I can really relate to the authors wants and experiences.
George
very positive Amazon reviews:
Terrie
Jan 03, 2012 Terrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Feel the fear and do it anyway..."
Mary Ann
Sep 28, 2007 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is at the fork in their road
Inspiring.
Ezzeren
Ezzeren marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Chelsey
Chelsey marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Andre Damian
Andre Damian marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Allison Hall
Allison Hall marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
John
John rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2016
Lara-Lauren
Lara-Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Annabanana
Annabanana marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Francesca Brierley
Francesca Brierley marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Jessie Frith
Jessie Frith rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Arlo
Arlo marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Lisha Doucet
Lisha Doucet rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Lova Bromander
Lova Bromander marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Eric
Eric added it
Nov 27, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Laura Reading
Laura Reading marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Frances Moore Lappe--author of fifteen books, including three-million-copy bestseller Diet for a Small Planet --distills her world-spanning experience and wisdom in a conversational yet hard-hitting style to create a rare "aha" book. In nine short chapters, Lappe leaves readers feeling liberated and courageous. She flouts conventional right-versus-left divisions and affirms readers' basic sanity - ...more
More about Frances Moore Lappé...