Start by marking “Speaking of Boys: Answers to the Most-Asked Questions About Raising Sons” as Want to Read:
Speaking of Boys: Answers to the Most-Asked Questions About Raising Sons

Speaking of Boys: Answers to the Most-Asked Questions About Raising Sons

My eight-year-old son is the only boy in his class who doesn't have a Gameboy. I don't want him to be ostracized for not having one, but I worry that it's addictive. What do you think?

Our two sons are eleven and fourteen, and they are fiercely competitive. The tension around our house is awful. How can we help them get along better?

We've worked very hard to keep our ten-ye
Published April 23rd 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published August 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Speaking of Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking of Boys

Sally
Written by Michael Thompson and Teresa Barker, this book describes the questions Dr. Thompson has been asked by parents of boys over his counseling career. Related questions are organized by topics (e.g Girls, Love and Sexuality; Social Anger and Aggression) so it is easy to find what parents have asked regarding those subjects, and includes Dr. Thompson's responses.

This book cannot cover every single question that he's been asked or you might have, but it is certainly worth a read. I wish it a
Marie
Jul 06, 2012 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The question & answer format means there is lots of specific, practical
advice. It is not a thorough look at ages and stages or brain development. (The author's other book Raising Cain is more comprehensive.) I'd say most of the advice is related to older kids and teens and some of it got repetitive (basically, if your teenage son acts like a jerk, it's because he's differentiating himself from you and proving his manhood). I'm uneasy about his casual attitude toward video gaming based on oth
Jenn
Jan 08, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always seeking out resources that will continue to help me be the best mom that I can be. This book was written in the question/answer format. As with many self-help books, some topics were relevant to my own boys and some--not so much. It did help me feel like I could better define boundaries in my children's behavior. Concrete examples will make this a good book for my reference library as my boys continue to grow and change.
Lisa
May 07, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im a little bit scared by this book. I pretty much figured out after reading the question and answers that I have alot to learn with regards to raising my three boys. YIKES.

The book was good, the content was varied from questions concerning 4 year olds to 18 year olds. It was grouped by subject matter broadly, but, I think it might have worked better grouped by age, only because I spent alot of time skipping around trying to find question and answers pertaining to my children's ages.
Kellie
Sep 21, 2011 Kellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went to an event and listened to the author speak about boys. I was very impressed. This book wasn't as good as him in person, though. It was a god book and it isn't that I disagreed with him, it's just that most of it was common sense and dealt with problems with older boys. Most of it didn't have anything to do with the problems we are having with Jeremy. I will still read his other books in hope that they will be more helpful for us.
Melissa
Aug 23, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all my friends with sons
Shelves: parenting
This was an excellent book -- questions and answers by a psychologist who wrote "Raising Cain" (which I now want to read). I like his voice, and his experience, and his insight. Truthfully, most of the questions are about boys older than my own, but it was helpful to see what's coming down the pike. I feel like I really learned about some male motivations that I didn't know about before.
Joan Kilpatrick
Feb 21, 2012 Joan Kilpatrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for anyone with a boy in your life!

This book was much easier to digest than Raising Cain, another of his books. I think it was because of the specific question and answer format. There are so many things about boys I never understood, and so many things about being a child and teen that I had forgotten, that his explained a lot of why boys react the way they do.
Deron
Nov 14, 2009 Deron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read all of this just skimmed it (after reading Raising Cain I was curious to read more by Thompson) but the parts I read I enjoyed. Smart, thoughtful, and liberal advice for raising kids. Mostly skewers towards middle school/high school advice.
Susan
Sep 02, 2010 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a Q&A format, this book address questions about parenting boys. Some are applicable to the current life-phase of my boys; others aren't. All in all, it's a good, definitely not-too-heavy reading for parents of boys.
Cori
Apr 02, 2008 Cori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light overview of common dilemmas and issues parents encounter when raising boys. The author used actual questions and then responded so the info is fairly surface-level and reads much like Dear Abbey or other advice columns.
Kim
Feb 08, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While a lot is common sense, there were some great insights into what makes boys and men tick. It was new for me and when I shared it with my husband, he couldnt' believe I didn't know this already. So it may help with our relationship as well.
Jennie
Mar 07, 2010 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of these questions were about boys older than the ones I have, but I liked the author's approach and it's good for me to realize what I might be getting into in a few years.
Alison Kenney
Dec 14, 2016 Alison Kenney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend anything that Dr Michael Thompson writes.
Joanna
Jan 24, 2008 Joanna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Raising Cain was wonderful and so far this book is very informative too.
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2011
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Jason Newgard
Jason Newgard rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Amy Gropp
Amy Gropp rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2013
Cari
Cari rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2009
Walter Elliott
Walter Elliott rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Vijendran
Vijendran rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Tammy
Tammy rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2016
Rod
Rod rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2012
Michelle Meyer
Michelle Meyer rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Britt
Britt rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys
  • It's a Boy: Women Writers on Raising Sons
  • Girls Will Be Girls: Raising Confident and Courageous Daughters
  • 10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behavior
  • The Wonder of Boys: What Parents, Mentors and Educators Can Do to Shape Boys into Exceptional Men
  • Momfulness: Mothering with Mindfulness, Compassion, and Grace
  • Real Boys' Voices
  • Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings
  • The Way of Boys: Promoting the Social and Emotional Development of Young Boys
  • The Optimistic Child
  • Swagger: 10 Urgent Rules for Raising Boys in an Era of Failing Schools, Mass Joblessness, and Thug Culture
  • The No-Cry Discipline Solution: Gentle Ways to Encourage Good Behavior Without Whining, Tantrums, and Tears: Foreword by Tim Seldin (Pantley)
  • Raising Boys: Why Boys Are Different and How to Help Them Become Happy and Well-Balanced Men
  • Raising Resilient Children : Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent
  • Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • How Do You Tuck In a Superhero?: And Other Delightful Mysteries of Raising Boys

psychologist, school consultant and international speaker on the subjects of children, schools and parenting
More about Michael G. Thompson...