Selected Poems, 1947-1995

Selected Poems, 1947-1995

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  471 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Presents chronologically works such as Paterson, selections from White Shroud, Cosmopolitan Greetings, and including the poems Howl and Kaddish as well as songs, and notes by Ginsberg. This volume brings together the personal verse of an American poet.
Published March 29th 2001 by Penguin Modern Classics (first published 1996)

henry
laugh if you want, but this was my bible for many years, and is probably the reason i'm not plowing a tobacco field right now. still carry it with me almost everywhere i go for more than a day or two b/c i just can't imagine being without it.
Ian
I bought this edition on the day that he died. I was studying abroad in England and was devastated when I got the news. He is not one of my favorite poets, but Ginsberg was instrumental in the lives of some of my favorite authors and musicians. This is a good collection for the beginner.
Tessa De Guzman
Not for the faint of heart: lots of drug use, violence, homoerotic references. You will, however, be transported back to that age--- and if that's a high you're interested in, then it's TOTALLY worth the crash.
Abby
Dec 07, 2010 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Bought it after a friend gave me a mix cd with, among other things, Ginsburg reading "America" set on top of a Tom Waits instrumental. So many more in here that I am just now discovering.
brendan
i read HOWL

loved it

there are so many reasons that ginsberg is so incredibly well respected, but the epitome would be the work itself

i make a promise with myself to read more
Syd
It was amazing to me how relevant his older poetry is today, especially his poems about Vietnam. One of my favorite poems is "Birdbrain!" If only he could have witnessed this presidency.
Neven
Ginsberg can be terribly entertaining and powerful. He can also be trite and plain unlikable.
Garth Mailman
If you’ve heard Howl, the long-form poem that made him famous you get the idea. Kaddish assigned to Naomi Ginsberg, his mad Mother, seems only appropriate in its convoluted wanderings to the madcap woman to whom it is dedicated. ECT, Insulin Shock Treatment, and Lobotomies were all performed in her day. Passing an electric current via electrodes through the brain to cause an epileptic like seizure seems barbaric but is still done in modified form today because as a last ditch solution for extrem...more
Nick Black
America you don're really want to go to war.
America it's them bad Russians.
Them Russians them Russians and them Chinamen. And them Russians.
The Russia wants to eat us alive. The Russia's power mad. She wants to take
our cars from out our garages.
Her wants to grab Chicago. Her needs a Red Reader's Digest. her wants our
auto plants in Siberia. Him big bureaucracy running our fillingstations.
That no good. Ugh. Him makes Indians learn read. Him need big black niggers.
Hah. Her make us all work sixteen...more
Reid
Howl is good, not great, as a poem. (Part one is pretty great, but the rest loses steam.) As a countercultural force, yeah, Howl was great, and still has some of the same power. Kaddish made me cry for my momma, too, but most of these poems, personally selected through almost his entire career, aren't very good, in my opinion. Many are political, but mostly in a very direct obvious way, and others were so autobiographical as to become almost meaningless in large part, and some were just silly. T...more
John Kerridge
When I was trying to act young and cool this book was essential reading - now it holds memories of what a pretentious prat I could be. Still some brilliant pieces in here though, but not his best work. The dark sexuality and violence of this selection becomes boring as you get older.
Shawn Sorensen
Ambitiously intellectual, unafraid poetry. Written in a certain time frame and location (New York), but I won't hold that against Ginsberg. What else was he going to write about? Stream of consciousness writing from someone hungry for knowledge.
Carolyn Oliveira
I thought the last few poems in the book were the more interesting ones. I can't honestly say I enjoyed this, though. They say Ginsberg should be performed, not simply read, but I'm not convinced I'm missing out on much.
Julene
This is a comprehensive book of Allen's poetry. A must for anyone who wants to read his work. It stands a reference book next to his book of interviews on my shelf.
Proletariate Marx
'I'm with you in Rockland
where there are twenty-five-thousand mad com-
rades all together singing the final stanzas of
the Internationale"
Todd
I got this edition at The City Lights Bookstore. Love it even when I'm wondering, seriously?
Lauren Bellon
A Supermarket in California is perhaps my favorite poem. I love Allen Ginsberg.
Stinky
Pick this one, a great anthology of a really interesting author.
Vija
I wish the douche that borrowed this book would give it back
John
Ginsberg will make you laugh, cry and arch an eyebrow.
Ruth
I'm not sure this the best of Ginsberg
William Young
This guy completely sucks.
The June Bug
The June Bug marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tansy (LibraryGeekGirl)
Tansy (LibraryGeekGirl) marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Michael Loughnane
Michael Loughnane marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
  • The Beat Book
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • Selected Poems
  • Edna St. Vincent Millay: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • A Far Rockaway of the Heart
  • The Complete Prose
  • Allen Ginsberg: A Biography
  • Word Virus: The William S. Burroughs Reader
  • The Figured Wheel: New and Collected Poems, 1966-1996
Irwin Allen Ginsberg was the son of Louis and Naomi Ginsberg, two Jewish members of the New York literary counter-culture of the 1920s. Ginsberg was raised among several progressive political perspectives. A supporter of the Communist party, Ginsberg's mother was a nudist whose mental health was a concern throughout the poet's childhood. According to biographer Barry Miles, "Naomi's illness gave A...more
More about Allen Ginsberg...
Howl and Other Poems Kaddish and Other Poems Collected Poems, 1947-1980 Collected Poems 1947-1997 Reality Sandwiches