Start by marking “Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #5)” as Want to Read:
Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #5)

Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt #5)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  10,783 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews

Also see: Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

In the midst of an international crisis, Heidi Milligan, a beautiful, brilliant American naval commander, accidentally discovers an obscure reference to the long-buried North American Treaty, a precedent-shattering secret pact between the United States and Great Britain. The President believes that the treaty of

Mass Market Paperback, 345 pages
Published June 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Night Probe!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Probe!

Scott Rhee
Jan 20, 2015 Scott Rhee rated it really liked it
So, I’m berating myself that I have only recently discovered the joys of reading Clive Cussler. Seriously, Clive, where have you been all my life?

“Night Probe!” is the third Cussler novel I have ever read, and it’s the sixth to feature his beloved action hero, Dirk Pitt. It’s clear to me now why so many people love the Pitt series.

Strange name aside, Dirk Pitt is a pretty lovable hero. Tough but funny, charismatic but serious when he needs to be, Pitt is basically an American James Bond minus a
Eric Bauman
Jul 15, 2011 Eric Bauman rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
You know that one favorite restaurant of yours? Sure you do: the one that you go into so often that they know you on sight, and where you order pretty much the same thing every time so that you almost don’t have to order—they just bring it to you. And it is always so good! You know the place?

For me, Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series is like that restaurant (except that Clive Cussler doesn’t know me—at least, I don’t think he does). I have read all but the last two Pitt books—and am rereading them
Roberta
Feb 23, 2011 Roberta rated it it was amazing
In May 1914 two couriers disappear in twin disasters taking the only two copies of the North American Treaty with them. The governments of the United States and Great Britain order a cover up so it is as if the treaty never existed. In February 1989 Heidi Milligan, a stunningly beautiful (of course) naval commander discovers an obscure reference to the long-lost document which is now worth billions of dollars. The race is on to rescue one copy of the treaty from the bottom of the ocean.

I have a
Kallen Kentner
I've read all of the Dirk Pitt books (except perhaps some of the newest ones) and this definitely ranks as one of my favorites.

In my opinion, Night Probe (pub. 1981) is the best of Dirk Pitt's earlier novel and byy earlier, I mean before books set before Treasure... for no particular reason except I feel that by Treasure, the tone and style of the novels has shifted more to his contemporary style.

I re-read Night Probe! because of my love of the deep water recovery scenes and the exciting locomot
Janet
May 09, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Dirk does it again, folks. The superhuman stamina and luck Cussler gives this guy always overwhelms me. I would never have accused either of them of having romantic tendencies, but the wonderful ending of Night Probe! (why does he end every title with an exclamation point?) proved me wrong. This is the best novel in the series so far.
Ed
Jan 31, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#5 in the Dirk Pitt series. Published in 1981, this series entry takes place in the near future of 1989 after a 1914 prologue.

"Dirk Pitt series - May, 1914. Two undercover couriers plummet to watery deaths in twin disasters, taking with them the only two copies of the North American Treaty, a precedent-shattering secret pact between the United States and Great Britain. On both sides of the Atlantic, stunned heads of state immediately order all mention of the treaty obliterated… forever.
February
John Porter
Jun 08, 2008 John Porter rated it liked it
Okay...I'm Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel. (Actually, I was going to visit a friend, but he was at a meeting...and in case you don't know, pool areas in Vegas that have swim-up gambling are open to the public. Seriously.) And I start giggling uncontrollably. Is it the aluminimum bottled Bud Lights they are bringing on demand (and I was demanding)? The tackiness of the pool area and people there? No. It was from reading Night Probe! It's a Dirk Pitt novel I've somehow missed, and it's one of the mo ...more
Bev Taylor
Aug 13, 2014 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
an early dirk pitt but giordino does put in an appearance (small!)

1914 - 2 top diplomats hurrying home by sea and rail each carrying a document of world changing importance - a north american treaty. however, both the train and the ship are sunk and they die, together with their documents

fast forward 3/4 of a century and with energy a top priority these documents could make a huge difference. enemies and allies alike fight to find them first and in the process many people - good and bad - die.
Barbara ★
This one was a little too cloak and dagger for my tastes. And Dirk Pitt didn't even enter the story (except for a brief one night stand) until 100 pages in.

I did love the conspiracy and how Dirk figured it all out. A thrilling read once Numa and Pitt entered the story. I did have issues with the "heroines" sleeping habits but that's on me and not the story itself (without it things wouldn't have gone as planned).

I think later books in the series are better written and more enjoyable.
Jeffrey
Mar 27, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans the world over
Shelves: mystery, thriller
This is a superb example of Cussler's oeuvre. It has action, great scenes, suspense and even a homage to James Bond.

Although Raise the Titanic broke Cussler into superstardom, this book was, to this reader, his best.

Nowadays with his co-written books on the best seller list monthly, its a good idea to go back and read the books that got him there.

Isaac Langley
Nov 23, 2015 Isaac Langley rated it really liked it
It had a lot of action. I thought that it was very good. Clive Cussler does a very good job at writing the Dirk Pitt collection. In this book Dirk has to find a treaty that has been buried in the sea for a long time, but the British don't want him to.
Lee
Feb 02, 2014 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: dirk-pitt
This Dirk Pitt adventure was a dangerous one for our hero. With a high body count, corrupt politician's (imagine that?), and a retired British spy called back in to service. This had the feel of a spy novel, with the action of a Pitt novel. Fun read.
Cait
Mar 14, 2009 Cait rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This is a ridiculous book. Utterly ridiculous and incredibly fun to read. If you're traveling and need something to bide your time, read this. All Dirk Pitt novels are page-turners, but this one is particularly classic.
Ryan Scicluna
Sep 03, 2012 Ryan Scicluna rated it really liked it
Shelves: clive-cussler
James Bond meets Dirk Pitt. No seriously there is James bond in this novel by Clive Cussler.
Neil
This is a book that brings me both enjoyment and frustration. It is a fast book [not as fast as Vixen 3, but still fast] and it still manages to be interesting. It also has James Bond appearing opposite Dirk Pitt. Ironically, this is my third or fourth copy of the hardbound edition. I bought my first copy at a thrift store, loaned it out, and never got it back. Same with the second copy. The third copy I bought at a used book store, only to have it magically disappear from my shelves [either I ...more
Aidan
Oct 27, 2016 Aidan rated it really liked it
Paul Andrews
Nov 27, 2016 Paul Andrews rated it it was amazing
I've read a few Dirk Pitt adventures, and while most of the recent ones are formulaic and co-authored, I consider the early novel Night Probe to be Cussler's best. A great tale weaving in history as always and a believable adventure.
Kelanth
Jan 27, 2016 Kelanth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avventura
Salto nel buio, in originale “Night Probe!” è un libro del 1981, romanzo del genere avventura di Clive Cussler, che è uno scrittore statunitense di romanzi d'avventura. La carriera di scrittore comincia nel 1965, mentre si ritrovava a badare ai figli la notte per sopperire alla moglie poliziotta. Esordisce nella narrativa nel 1973, con la pubblicazione del romanzo Enigma, cronologicamente il secondo romanzo dedicato alle avventure di Dirk Pitt. Solo nel 1982 viene pubblicato il primo romanzo di ...more
Johan
Oct 23, 2016 Johan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ongeloofwaardig, personages zonder diepgang, massa's details en toch kon ik dit boek niet neerleggen. Junkfood, maar soms kun je er niet aan weerstaan.
Pamela
Luis Fernando Franco
Me parece increíble tanta variabilidad en un mismo autor. Los primeros tres que leí, más bien novelitas quinceañeras. Pero con Vixen 03 pensé que Cussler había llegado a "la madurez" porque el titulo me encantó.

Sin embargo, este es una decepción total. Intenta repetir la fórmula del anterior, pero añadiendo misterios de calibre Scooby Doo (el tren fantasma), junto con una trama verdaderamente estúpida y larga, larga, larga.

Hasta la mitad, todo iba bien, tres historias aparentemente inconexas, un
Betelgeuse
Dec 09, 2014 Betelgeuse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chi sogna immersioni al buio in acque misteriose.
Recensione pubblicata su Cronache di Betelgeuse

Nuova avventura e nuovi nemici per Dirk Pitt. Il nostro protagonista stavolta dovrà affrontare complotti politici tra due nazioni confinanti e immergersi in due località diverse: nel fiume Hudson e nel bacino di San Lorenzo. Entrambi i luoghi presentano incognite e bisognerà tenere gli occhi ben aperti per le possibili intromissioni di chi trama dalla superficie.

Dirk Pitt dovrà sfoderare tutto il suo ingegno per riuscire a trovare il modo di tirarsi
Stories
Jul 04, 2015 Stories rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: america, 4-stelle
Blog Stories Review: http://storiesbooksandmovies.blogspot...

Nella stessa notte del 1914 accadono due disastri: la locomotiva Manhattan Limited, diretta a New York, precipita da un ponte appena crollato; nello stesso momento l'Empress of Ireland, nave da crociera canadese, dopo una collisione con un altro mezzo, affonda nella Baia di San Lorenzo. Su entrambi i veicoli viaggiano segretamente dei funzionari del governo. Si tratta di una pura coincidenza o di meditati attentati? I due casi vengono
Balkron
May 06, 2015 Balkron rated it liked it
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th
Teo Hoppe
'm not going to give this one 5 stars because it's just not as good as many people play it out to be. I had read a lot of these reviews before I bought it and it just wasn't one of the best books ever. Hey, Cussler is a good writer.
I liked Night Probe and will continue to read his stuff. All the same Dirk Pitt acrobatics are there. Giordino is in tow as well. Good stuff. Fun stuff. As can be expected.
On the down side, I thought some of the literary elements were a bit lacking. Not to give too mu
Annie
Feb 29, 2016 Annie added it
Night Probe! is outside of my usual reading fare. I picked it up for a class in library school while studying the adventure genre.
The book was a real page turner. Before the first chapter was out, a train had gone off the rails and a ship had sunk to the bottom of the sea. The action continued throughout. Cussler has an in depth knowledge of underwater exploration and a real appreciation for the importance of archival research in recovering lost documents.
Although the book is part of the Dirk
Holly
Apr 09, 2011 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been intrigued with Dirk Pitt from the very first book, Pacific Vortex!, and this sixth installment hasn't changed that.

In this book we see Dirk Pitt searching for the North American Treaty, now I do feel like as the series went on that it isn't really centered on Dirk Pitt any longer. As it switches from one view point to another I felt like I kind of lost the Dirk Pitt I loved in the very first book. This one seemed more centered on the Treaty, which didn't make for a bad read, I liked
Ronald Wilcox
Jun 07, 2014 Ronald Wilcox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Dirk Pitt really does make me think of a less debonair James Bond whose adventures tie in to water in some fashion. In this outing, a woman who Pitt knows from a previous novel discovers references in some historical research that there may have been a treaty in the 1910's signed between England and the United States, giving the US jurisdiction over Canada in exchange for a large amount of money. She tells Pitt about it and they discover there were two copies of the secret treaty, both which ...more
Tommy Marriner
Apr 01, 2014 Tommy Marriner rated it it was amazing
don't fool yourself you know the impossible plot and super human main character have got you by the..... well anyway if you never find the time to read it you are missing out.
I started off reading adventure storeys spy's and espionage alternate history's and political thrillers a while ago I was probably about 9 when i read my first Biggles book, after getting bored of harry potter and other such fantasies I decided grampa was right all these years and only just recently running out of authors
Stacy
Jul 19, 2015 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lots of improbable happenings, all of which the author takes immense pains to explain. He's good at making it believable but even suspension of disbelief can't go to this limit for me. Sorry. Good writing. One sentence threw me way out of the book for a little while. He's described something as not so large as an army much less a platoon. Huh? Does he not know how small a platoon is? I'm deciding the words were transposed for my own peace of mind. Too much to disbelieve including the love ...more
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • Bahama Crisis
  • The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Chains of Command
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
  • The Saboteurs (Men at War, #5)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)