Winning with People: Discover the People Principles That Work for You Every Time

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  2,494 ratings  ·  69 reviews
If you can win with people, you can win!
Many people focus on other talents and abilities first- such as polishing their communication or leadership skills or taking courses to expand their base of knowledge- but they forget that good relationships are the foundation for achievement.
"Winning with People" will provide you with the tools you need to immediately improve your...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 210 pages
Published January 27th 2005 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2005)

Isis Sousa
Like other Maxwell books, this one is also a very pleasant read. Maxwell's captivating writing style and the interesting topics he brings up within this book will inpire you.

As I read each principle, I reflected upon the complex subject of relationships. Here are some of the eye-openers for me:

The lens principle: who you are determine how you see others.

The charisma principle: people is interested in people who is interested in them.

The bedrock principle: trust is the foundation of any relations...more
Mckinley
Very gentle approach to friendly, kind ways to interact with others. Discusses 5 central concerns: readiness, connection, trust, investment and synergy. Lots of examples and questions bring points home.

Readiness - who we are determines how we see others, know yourself first, hurting people hurt people, never hammer someone, we can lift up or take people down

Connection - entire world, except 1, is composed of others; put ourselves in our place not others; each person has potential to teach us so...more
Scott
Former pastor turned leadership guru, John C. Maxwell is known for his insight and experience when it comes to the business industry. What I find helpful is Maxwell’s teachings are applicable to other environments such as church, small groups, and relationships. His 2004 release Winning With People specifically deals with relationships. Quite frequently the mindset of the business world is “What can I do to get ahead?” or “How can I succeed?” Maxwell challenges the reader to think outside of the...more
Christopher
One word, GAY.

This might be good for the touchy feel sensitive person but for me I could not stand to read this. It mentions different strategies on how to deal with people and some principles behind it, but the entire time I kept saying to myself "TELL THESE PEOPLE TO STOP BEING SUCH WHINEY BRATS"

I'll take my advice from Jim Collins where he says that if you hired properly in the first place, then you eliminate most of your people problems in the future.
Zara
Great book! I learned quite a deal from it. He touches on some important and useful life lessons in terms of relationships and daily interactions. Read it if you don't easily take to people (generally speaking) or often find yourself in negative dysfunctional relationships. And read it even if neither one of those applies.
Nicholas Bradley
Dec 13, 2007 Nicholas Bradley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone trying to strengthen leadership understanding
I read this book with a group of people and we had a good time discussing the various chapters and pinpointing where we were strong and where we were weak. Maxwell always uses great analogies and stories and his books are always filled with good lessons you can use later. This book is no exception.
Cynthia O'Donnell
You just can't go wrong with any of John Maxwell's books. If you deal directly with people, then this book is for you. This book helps you identify ways to strengthen your relationships with people and helps you grow your interpersonal skills. A must for all sales people.
Anoud
First thought: he really should turn all his books into Autobiographies!! I haven’t seen such an author who has nothing to do but to show off through his writings !!

Almost all the examples and stories in the books revolve around him, his inspiring character, his influence on people, his kindness, his brilliance, his bright soul..and the self-promotion goes on!

For this reason, reading this book wasn’t interesting, Yet, truth be told, he brings some beneficial thoughts and tips and many of them ar...more
Derek Wong
Author John Maxwell describes how anyone can improve his or her relationship skills.

25 “People Principles” that anyone can learn and use anywhere he or she might be, Maxwell shows how relationships can be created and strengthened for success in work and life, and provides the tools needed to immediately improve existing relationships as well as cultivate strong, exciting and new ones. The skills used plus the relationships chosen equal success.

A good book from a former pastor.
Nouf
An inspiring book that not only help us deal with others but also help us deal with ourselves. I believe that there are things that we don't usually pay attention to in our relationships whether with our friends,family or people whom we are working with,and Maxwell did great job in reminding us of what we are leaving behind. He emphasized that these things may be small to some people but actually have a huge importance. Helping others is serving yourself. Kindness is a language. Mutual trust, et...more
Jeffrey logan
we would pass by this book at a store n think that "i dont really have to or need to read this, i have so many good friends anyway." but what i like about this book is the idea that every relationship we have in our lives, we go through the same types of similiar situations and senarios. No matter how good of a friend or coworker or brother or sister we are, we all go through difficult times with them. And what this book does is facilitate those times, insist that we can choose our attitude thro...more
Craig
Really like this book. A quick read. I have always been inspired by Maxwell's people skills, and this book was an inside look at how he does it. Don't get me wrong, it is not an biography of John Maxwell, but his years of leadership credibility and influence with people really show through in the instruction and encouragement he gives in the book. I read this years ago, and decided to go through it again. I think I got more out of it this time and I think it may be a good book to reread every fe...more
Rob Pantoja
Anyone wanting to change your life should read this book. This book will give you a whole new outlook.
Micah
If you work with or around people this is an excellent book.
Suria Sen
Everybody in this world are different people by different characteristic.. sometimes you may find "hall of shame relational people" whose you will put them in the very end of your working plant.. and unluckily you find them everyday in your workspace.., making you less efficient and problems come. Maxwell said, if you have problem with John, and at the same time you have problem with Harry, maybe you should realize that the problem is yourself. Maxwell gives use 5 principle to check our self and...more
Ashley Stern altvater
Not necessarily a beach read but very good points made
Graham Okene
It is just out of this world.
Audrey
Great general principles and stories.
Jeff
The more I am forced to work directly with people in a leadership relationship the more I learn that it doesnt come naturally for most of us. I found many of the principles in this books either very helpful or affirmations of things I have learned in relationships along the way. I have a bit of a bias against pop leadership books but even with this I found this book very insightful overall.
Mike Sambuco
John Maxwell lines out many principles of interpersonal relationships, and examines our focus. Some of it was fairly evident, but others were an eye-opener for me. Much of it requires self-examination and contemplation. I wish I could have read and digested this 30 years ago! I was impressed with his transparency and outlook, and I am looking forward to reading more of his books!
Usiere Uko
An excellent on from John Maxwell. I have learned more about people and relationships from this book than I have from any other book. It truly shows our common humanity, no matter which neck of the woods you are from.

I had thought I knew about everything about relationships. This book showed me I have not quite started yet. I will definitely read this book again. Once is not enough
Michael
This was okay - I read it as part of my job. Not bad advice, but overall all, a little rudimentary and common sense. Had some good quotes in it though, and some clever ways to package the concepts I had learned in college communication courses. Recommended for those who want to improve relationships and don't already have a communication background.
Richard Cleary
If you are any kind of leader or you want to better relate to people, this book is solid help. Saying that, it is important to interpret Maxwell's books from a biblical worldview which makes healthy fulfilling relationships and leadership dependent on the Messiah death and resurrection, Spirit, and love of God in our lives.
خالد باجعفر KHALED BAJAFAR
من اجمل ماقرأت في هذا الكتاب هذه الحقيقة

نقب عن علامات التغيير في حياة الاخرين
هناك أوقات معينة في حياة الاخرين يكونون فيها اكثر عرضة للتغيير وهي :
١ عندما يتألمون بشكل كافي لأن يظطروا للتغيير
٢ عندما يتعلمون بشكل كافي لدرجة ان يرغبوا في التغيير
٣ عندما يتلقون مايكفي لان يكونوا قادرين على التغيير

Febryna Halim
Dari buku ini qta belajar bahwa hubungan itu adalah hal terpenting untuk seseorang mancapai kesuksesan di dalam hidupnya. Belajar tentang kepositifan jg lowh. Gimana sebenarnya cara qta mandang diri qta itu berpengaruh kepada cara pandang qta terhadap orang lain =) Bagus dehhh
Melanie
Sep 18, 2007 Melanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
ni buku top abis,, ngasi tau kita cara terjitu untuk berhubungan dengan orang lain, siapapun itu. dengan memahami diri kita sendiri dulu, because, we start all the things that will happen to us. so,, bagi yang mau gape berhubungan dengan semua orang. it a must read book. enjoy!
Whitney Hopperton
really made me think about how I make other people feel... revealed my own self-centeredness and sense of entitlement that needs to be no more. It has allowed me to not only see the best in others, but to develop my own personal skills, refining myself and my habits.
Mel Ballew
Great book. Highly recommend for anyone. This is not just for the shy introvert looking to develop confidence. It is also for the very confidant one needing to develop empathy when building relationships. Great resource tool for all people of all ages.
Princebatausa
This book changes how I think of myself and others. It made me realize why I havent won much people in the past. This book is a must read to those who wanted to have more friends and lead an organization
Becky
I received this book at a team building a year ago and have started reading it off and on.
I don't recommend it unless you're a boring person with no desire to read anything remotely interesting.
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
  • The Business School For People Who Like Helping People
  • Own Your Own Corporation
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • The Choice
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Why We Want You To Be Rich: Two Men, One Message
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know

“Any married man should forget his mistakes—there’s no use in two people remembering the same thing.” 2 likes
“people knowledge is much more important than mere product knowledge.” 0 likes