Start by marking “Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission” as Want to Read:
Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission

Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  595 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Much of what is written about church planting aims at methodology and strategy for facing such challenges, but specific strategies do not apply to every context. What lies deeper, at the heart ofevery church plant?

The most critical human component of every church plant is the planter.

Darrin Patrick, vice president of the Acts 29 Church Planting Network, looks at what Scrip
Published August 12th 2010 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Church Planter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church Planter

Aaron Downs
Darrin Patrick’s Church Planter encourages development and understanding in three areas: the man, the message, and the mission. Patrick begins by describing the biblical qualifications for elders, as well as advice for cultivating personal growth in those who desire to plant churches. He emphasizes that those who desire to plant churches must indeed be rescued by Christ from sin. This emphasis is especially important because many charlatans and false teachers have entered into the realm of Chris ...more
Matthew Robbins
Here’s the takeaway from this review: If you have any interest/desire to be a church planter, pastor, or simply a leader of any kind in your local church, you need to read Church Planter.

Darrin Patrick, lead pastor of The Journey in St. Louis, is very qualified to write about church planting and pasturing. He’s done both well and God has worked through him to form a vibrant church. He uses that experience, as well as a thorough understanding of the gospel and biblical doctrine, to craft a very u
Aaron
My review can be read in three parts at Blogging Theologically:

Part one: The Man
Part two: The Message
Part three: The Mission

“[W]e have a cultural crisis and a theological one,” writes Darrin Patrick in Church Planter: The Man, the Message, the Mission. “We live in a world full of males who have prolonged their adolescence. They are neither boys nor men. They live, suspended as it were, between childhood and adulthood, between growing up and being grown-ups. . . . This kind of male is everywhere,
Brett Mclaughlin
There's a lot to like in Darrin Patrick's "Church Planter." First, and perhaps foremost for the primary audience, this book is readable and feels very "current." Unfortunately, even the Reformed movement among young men still seems to read over Edwards or Baxter too quickly. They're seen as the guys to read, but deep meditation doesn't seem too occur often. Patrick, then, engages that audience with something that is easy to read, and from one of their own (seeing as most young and Reformed eithe ...more
Sean
I picked up “Church Planter” because of Darrin Patrick’s YouTube promo video. I’m a sucker for good marketing, but a skeptic for church planting resources. The honest reason is I haven’t had good experiences with church planters or good exposure to church plants; I was expecting this to be yet another how-to guide for the young, energetic church leader who wants to be relevant. I was pleasantly blown away by this book. “Church Planter” strips away the chic “calling” to plant churches and gets do ...more
Jared Totten
The title for this book, Church Planter, is in my opinion a very unfortunate one—and I mean that in the very best way possible. This is an excellent book that should be read by anyone in Christian ministry, and I fear that the title will prevent many people from considering picking up a book that should have a much broader audience than the name suggests.

The subtitle, however, gives us a perfect breakdown of the book: "The Man, the Message, the Mission". The first section, "The Man" is probably
Ben Connelly
Solid overview of the 3 aspects of church planting in Patrick's subtitle: the man, the message, & the mission. He introduces & summarizes those three areas well; a must-read heart-check for pastors & especially future planters.

I think the downside to the book come in the amount of content for its length - while it is, again, a good overview, many areas & topics could have been better served with more depth. He did a fantastic job on "the message"; I wish the book could have been
Aaron
Church Planter by Darrin Patrick is a helpful read to anyone who wants to serve God in a significant way by being both practical in the wisdom it offers and theologically rich. The book is broken up into 3 sections: the man, the message, and the mission.

By far the first section (the man) is the most helpful as it highlights the requirements and the pitfalls of being a church planter (or any servant of God for that matter).

The second section (the message) reviews how the gospel is an objective
Joshua
Darrin Patrick has created something of a handbook not only for church planters, but for church pastors. I was deeply impressed with the quality and authenticity of this work and find myself recommending this book to others.

Patrick is a part of Acts 29 which is a reformed ministry focused on launching churches across the country. Personally, I am an Arminian but I really like what these guys are doing and God is truly blessing them. Patrick gives a good look into why these guys are doing so well
Wes Martin
"Church Planter" by Darrin Patrick is a great book for anyone who longs for more out of life and ministry. This book is incredibly comprehensive and very challenging. As others have stated, the title and cover art are misleading, this book has very little to do with actual church planting; rather, it would be more accurately portrayed as a comprehensive and in depth, step by step rendering of the office of pastor.

Having said all of this, the book is very well written. Patrick is very detailed,
Drew Peterson
Darrin Patrick, the lead Pastor at The Journey Church in St. Louis, in his book Church Planter gets to the Biblical foundation for what a church planter looks like. But even more than that, he goes into even what a leader in the church today looks like according to Scripture.

While reading this book I was challenged, stretched, convicted, and even changed several of my approaches to ministry after Darrin presented solid Biblical support for how a church leader needs to look. There are so many boo
Josh Albers
Quite possibly one of the best books I have read in regards to the subject of Church Planting.

For those of you who are seeking to plant churches, or are simply wanting to know more about the subject of mission, this is the book for you. Though it can at times be a daunting task to work your way through the chapters, Darrin Patrick does an incredible job going through scripture as well as utilizing some of his own experiences as a church planter to help bring to light some very important issues i
John Wiley
When one hears the words “church planter” there may be several ideas that could come to mind. For those who passionately pursuit what they believe to be God’s calling on their lives as church planters, I do not think I could recommend a better “foundational” book on church planting. Additionally, I find this book to be of great worth for others who may or may not be lead church planters but have a desire as to see their churches take further steps into reaching their communities with the Gospel. ...more
Ho Christopher
This was a better book than what I had expected. I first saw some rave reviews online for this particular book by Darrin Patrick when I was just released and I didn’t think much about it at that time. I thought that such a hype that soon would be over. However, after seeing there was a great kindle deal on this book, I thought why not read it myself, and boy did I enjoy reading this book.
This book is separated into 3 major portions, the man, the message and the mission. Simply put, it talks abou
Jason Duran
Let me just start out with some background. My church fellowship has been planting churches for 40 plus years, in the states and worldwide. It has always been our focus and direction in all that we do. Discipling men and planting churches is the focus of all our conferences, men's ministries and rallies. We have our own vernacular and terminology regarding the subject, in fact, you can walk into any of our churches and ask someone "who's your mother church?" or "You have any couples out of here? ...more
Joshua D.
Jun 28, 2011 Joshua D. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: church leaders
The worst thing about this book is the title. "Church Planter" is about much more than church planting, or what qualifies one to plant. It's a book that all kinds of church leaders should read, and churches in all stages (pre-planting, new plant, established church, church revitalization) can benefit from.

Darrin Patrick is the pastor of The Journey in St. Louis, a multi-campus, growing church in the Acts 29 Network. Most folks familiar with the reformed church planting culture will find that mos
John Weathersby
I enjoyed this book. In the second half it became a book about doctrine, which is great, however, I was looking for a book about church planting from a different perspective. i don't want to be taken the wrong way here, I know doctrine is central to the church plant. Of that I am aware.

There are LOTS of books about ecclesiology and doctrine, including doctrine from Mark Driscoll, this one repeated much of what those books bring to the table. I was searching for more experiential narrative in ch
Mike
A very good book on the philosophy of church planting. Divided into three sections, man, message, and mission, Patrick shares his views on what kind of man should be a church planter, what the message should be , and some very good practical suggestions.

I thought the greatest strengths of the book were the preface, where Patrick talked about men needing to be men instead of boys (he called old boys "bans"), how appropriate. The chapter on conceptualization was particularly good, and the other ch
Mike
Despite the title and the Acts 29 connections, Church Planter is actually less about planting and more about what pastoral ministry looks like. In that sense, it was more helpful to me personally. The best chapters were probably on Shepherding and The Church.

Patrick has some great warnings and real examples of where things could go badly if you are not careful. For someone in the middle of a pastoral internship, it was all really insightful.

I like Darrin Patrick's style and I agree with probabl
Jon
simple straightforward contextual "hip" pastoral theology

highly footnoted and puritanized. Patrick is well read and relies heavily on the shoulders of our faith fathers

a great overview of pastoral ministry with several great quotations and illustrations

felt it pushed the missional envelope further than I feel the gospel allows on several applications

misleading title as most of the book is directed at pastoral work in general. very little strategy or practical direction for church planters

loved t
J.E. Jr.
Overall a good book-- but with a couple of big qualifications.

First, I'm not sure what about this book makes it about "church planting"; it's more of a basic survey of what any pastor ought to attend to. For that, it is good content, but I wished for something more apropos to the specifics if church planting.

Second, nothing here is new to any graduate of a solid seminary-- at least one who paid attention. It is a very sound re-presentation of vital truths, and a few good references and illustrat
Bill
An encouraging and challenging job description for a church planter under three headings: the man, the message and the mission. "The Man" was the personally inspiring and practical. "The Message" was theological, personally challenging, though not particually written with reference to church planting. "The Mission" was the least satisfying but most interesting section -- featuring some debatable issues. Incorporates lot of familiar Mark Driscoll material, but Darrin Patrick has his own contribut ...more
Job Dalomba
Some parts are really good and some were things that have been said quite a bit, which makes it hard for me to enjoy reading.
Robin Koshy
Kinda misleading...not really about church planting, but more about the heart and life of a christian minister.
Matt Moran
Excellent. A character based book on church planting. Some people have criticized DP because his book is called "Church Planter" and is not methodological - i.e. he will not tell you how to gather a core group, start your website, launch your first Sunday, or find a worship leader. They are missing Patrick's point that a man's character, his grasp of the Gospel, his commitment to mission are foundational. The methods are secondary.

Thoroughly researched and grounded in orthodoxy. Most people quot
Conor
An essential read for anyone praying about church planting in any capacity. Patrick lays down a wonderful foundation that will test and convict the intentions and methods that might have all ready started in the mind of a new church planter. Part One: The Man, and the chapter on contextualization were my favorite sections.
Tim McLaughlin
I found the book very good and useful. I appreciated that it had almost no talk about specific tactics or models for planting as being the purpose of the book, but in detailing the requirements for the planter, the message of the church, and the mission the church is to be on. This approach is better because it focuses on the common traits needed for a thriving, gospel-centered ministry rather than getting bogged down on ideas that have worked in one environment but may not work in others.
Ben Titsworth
Stopped me from running from what I believe God wants me to do. Need more confirmation into the call, but I have stopped running and embraced my passion and desire for church planting. Of course, this book is not just for those who want or are planting churches, it's for MEN. Men that are still caught up in being a boy and who haven't grown up and "fled youthful lusts" (2 Timothy 2:22). It is definitely an inspiration for ministry and men. READ IT!
Bethany
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. I think I expected it to be more of a how-to In-the-trenches guide, but turns out Patrick is asking the pre-questions of who before what, laying a strong foundation. The most pleasant surprise for me was that the book was well researched, almost academic, in that he quoted a plethora of various sources. I wish he hadn't ended the book with such a lengthy story of an awkward surgery, but I did get his point.
Chris Armer
The book is broken into three sections: The Man, The Message, and the Mission. The first section was very helpful. God used one thought to enlighten my understanding on the role of a pastor. The second section was an overview of the gospel. I felt like the third section was weakest and least helpful only because his philosophy wasn't as grounded in Scriptural exegesis. I'd give the book 3.5 stars if possible, but I will settle on 3 stars.
  • Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods
  • Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community
  • Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your City
  • Church Planting Is for Wimps: How God Uses Messed-Up People to Plant Ordinary Churches That Do Extraordinary Things
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Leaders Who Last
  • Planting Missional Churches
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Churc
  • The Trellis And The Vine
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Gospel-Centered Discipleship
Education:
BA - Southwest Baptist University - Bolivar, MO MDiv - Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary - Kansas City, MO Doc - Covenant Seminary - St. Louis, MO

Family:
Darrin and Amie have been married since 1993. They have four children: Glory was born in 2000, Gracie was born in 2002, Drew was born in 2006, and Delainey born in 2009. In 2001, Darrin and Amie moved to St. Louis and planted The J
More about Darrin Patrick...
For the City: Proclaiming and Living Out the Gospel The Dude's Guide to Manhood: Finding True Manliness in a World of Counterfeits Replant: How a Dying Church Can Grow Again Patrick Untitled #2 Church Planting Is for Wimps: How God Uses Messed-Up People to Plant Ordinary Churches That Do Extraordinary Things

“Most churches do not grow beyond the spiritual health of their leadership. Many churches have a pastor who is trying to lead people to a Savior he has yet to personally encounter. If spiritual gifting is no proof of authentic faith, then certainly a job title isn't either.

You must have a clear sense of calling before you enter ministry. Being a called man is a lonely job, and many times you feel like God has abandoned you in your ministry. Ministry is more than hard. Ministry is impossible. And unless we have a fire inside our bones compelling us, we simply will not survive. Pastoral ministry is a calling, not a career. It is not a job you pursue.

If you don’t think demons are real, try planting a church! You won’t get very far in advancing God’s kingdom without feeling resistance from the enemy.

If I fail to spend two hours in prayer each morning, the devil gets the victory through the day. Once a month I get away for the day, once a quarter I try to get out for two days, and once a year I try to get away for a week. The purpose of these times is rest, relaxation, and solitude with God.

A pastor must always be fearless before his critics and fearful before his God. Let us tremble at the thought of neglecting the sheep. Remember that when Christ judges us, he will judge us with a special degree of strictness.

The only way you will endure in ministry is if you determine to do so through the prevailing power of the Holy Spirit. The unsexy reality of the pastorate is that it involves hard work—the heavy-lifting, curse-ridden, unyielding employment of your whole person for the sake of the church. Pastoral ministry requires dogged, unyielding determination, and determination can only come from one source—God himself.

Passive staff members must be motivated. Erring elders and deacons must be confronted. Divisive church members must be rebuked. Nobody enjoys doing such things (if you do, you should be not be a pastor!), but they are necessary in order to have a healthy church over the long haul. If you allow passivity, laziness, and sin to fester, you will soon despise the church you pastor.

From the beginning of sacred Scripture (Gen. 2:17) to the end (Rev. 21:8), the penalty for sin is death. Therefore, if we sin, we should die. But it is Jesus, the sinless one, who dies in our place for our sins. The good news of the gospel is that Jesus died to take to himself the penalty of our sin.

The Bible is not Christ-centered because it is generally about Jesus. It is Christ-centered because the Bible’s primary purpose, from beginning to end, is to point us toward the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus for the salvation and sanctification of sinners.

Christ-centered preaching goes much further than merely providing suggestions for how to live; it points us to the very source of life and wisdom and explains how and why we have access to him. Felt needs are set into the context of the gospel, so that the Christian message is not reduced to making us feel better about ourselves.

If you do not know how sinful you are, you feel no need of salvation. Sin-exposing preaching helps people come face-to-face with their sin and their great need for a Savior.

We can worship in heaven, and we can talk to God in heaven, and we can read our Bibles in heaven, but we can’t share the gospel with our lost friends in heaven.

“Would your city weep if your church did not exist?”

It was crystal-clear for me. Somehow, through fear or insecurity, I had let my dreams for our church shrink. I had stopped thinking about the limitless things God could do and had been distracted by my own limitations. I prayed right there that God would forgive me of my small-mindedness. I asked God to forgive my lack of faith that God could use a man like me to bring the message of the gospel through our missionary church to our lost city. I begged God to renew my heart and mind with a vision for our city that was more like Christ's.”
9 likes
“Jesus is not just a servant of God who was bruised by Satan, but the Lord who destroyed Satan’s power over the human race. The resurrection is the vindication of all of Jesus’ claims and the salvation that is offered by him. It completes our Lord’s work and shows beyond all doubt and argument that the salvation he offers is real.” 0 likes