Start by marking “The Husband Test (Brides of Virtue, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Husband Test (Brides of Virtue, #2)

The Husband Test (Brides of Virtue #2)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  495 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
She devised her own standards for the perfect man. Now, can she resist him?

Betina Krahn, the New York Times bestselling author of Sweet Talking Man and The Soft Touch, is at her most charming and witty in this enchanting tale of unlikely love.

She vowed never to be married....

Sister Eloise was perhaps the most well intentioned novice at the Convent of the Brides of Virtue —
Published November 27th 2001 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Husband Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Husband Test

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
My Favourite Historical Romance
388th out of 1,369 books — 1,865 voters
Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasRomancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia QuinnNine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLeanThe Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia QuinnThe Bride by Julie Garwood
Best Humorous Historical Romances
319th out of 611 books — 710 voters

More lists with this book...

Penny Watson
Nov 24, 2012 Penny Watson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
The Husband Test by Betina Krahn

The Husband Test by Betina Krahn is absolutely adorable. One of my favorite re-reads. Eloise is a nun-in-training, headstrong, independent, and driving her mother superior out of her mind. Peril, Earl of Whitmore, is a master warrior, but floundering as master of his estate, and in dire need of a wife. Mother Superior figures out the perfect way to fix her nagging problem with Eloise. She sends her with Peril to "judge" him and figure out which novice at the Conve
Huma Rashid
May 26, 2014 Huma Rashid rated it it was ok
This seemed a rather amateurish attempt. The writing itself left much to be desired. The plot was actually pretty good. The dialogue was ... stilted, a bit contrived, and often quite corny, but otherwise decent. There were some scenes that were SO CORNY that I literally rolled my eyes while reading, which slowed down my reading pace and left me STUCK IN THE CORNY PARTS FOR EVEN LONGER. Eloise, especially in the first half of the book, is almost TSTL: Too Stupid To Live. Lord. She was whiny and a ...more
Paula Bothwell
I get my book ideas off Amazon by checking the number of reviews and stars. I read the reviews carefully, because some kind soul will usually note if there's anything thing "blush-worthy." If there's not, it's called "clean." This was not a smutty book, by any stretch; in fact, were it not for parts where the reader is subjected to reading where exactly the male protagonist touched the female and exactly how her body responded, it would be a good book. I took a risk on this book because more tha ...more
Caro
Feb 13, 2016 Caro rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, own
This was a really good book. I loved all the characters and their personalities. This was interesting, has some twists, fun and spunky, tough and tender, and definitely had me turning pages fast. A great read that pulls you in, you feel, have fun, gotta know what happens next..., and has a good HEA. Something I'll probably end up reading again and has me wanting to read more in this series. Good for anytime and anywhere. Enjoy!
Michelle
Apr 03, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Ai
Shelves: romance
I hate when people use ellipses ... all the time ... and not regular sentences ... like they are lazy ... or we are supposed to ponder some great thing ...

AND I HATE WHEN AUTHORS CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO USE THEM CORRECTLY.
An ellipsis is like a 3-letter word, people. It's something ... something. Three dots. Spaces on either side. It's not complicated.

/rant.
MB (What she read)
Jan 03, 2011 MB (What she read) rated it really liked it
I love this series! I have to pull them out and re-read them when I need a 'happy fix'. This one is my favorite because I love the medieval food details (and the 2 main characters, of course.)

Comfort re-read 12/24/10.
April
Aug 03, 2011 April rated it really liked it
Abby Jean
May 11, 2013 Abby Jean rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
quick fun, somehow more fun for being set in lands of castles. it was nice that it didn't end with the wedding, but waited until they had a marriage of equals to call it a happy ending.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
DNF on page 12.

DNF because this is inane, and I don't want to put the effort in.

Julie
May 17, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Sweet and funny at times. The things this girl did to try to prove a point!!
Crystal
I loved this book. A plucky heroine who stands on her own, decisive and brassy while being compassionate and loyal. An heroic and stubborn hero with depth and a strong sense of honor. A villain, a redemption, a battle and the righting of a wrong. The struggle to stay true to yourself in the face of self-doubt and adversity. I'm not sure what's not to love. This has all of the ingredients of a perfect historical romance for me. I laughed, I cried, I was indignant and I was charmed. I will definit ...more
Valéria Alves
Jul 18, 2015 Valéria Alves rated it really liked it
Bem no início do livro pensei, "Se o Bernard Cornwell escrevesse um romance de época, ele escreveria um livro assim!", mas a medida que fui lendo, reparei que só o humor do Bernie e da Betina são bastante parecidos, HAHAHAHA!
Ainda que eu tenha concluído que o Bernie não esqueceria de alguns personagens e, provavelmente, não teria escrito um livro assim, "The Husbband Test" ainda é muito bom e divertido e Eloise <3 <3 <3
Deborah Gafford
Jul 11, 2015 Deborah Gafford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC READ!

This is the first book by Ms. Krahn I have read but it won't be the last. Her characters are wonderful and grip your emotions throughout the whole book. She does not fill the story with tedious descriptions, but rather fills it with emotion that keeps you reading anxiously to the very end. VERY WELL DONE!! 5 stars!
Robin (RBBR)
Oct 28, 2010 Robin (RBBR) rated it liked it
Its been awhile since I read this one but as I recall it was somewhat slow paced at times. The parts that had pace were good although I don't recall specifics and to a degree it had a Sound of Music feel. If memory serves correctly the Heroine was not really cut out to be a Nun and so the Mother Superior played matchmaker without the Heroine realizing. Once you, the reader realized this it got a bit more interesting. The Sound of Music feel comes in where the Heroine is not really cut out to be ...more
Kelli
Jul 20, 2012 Kelli rated it liked it
This was just ok. The concept is sweet, but I can't describe why I thought the direction of the storyline kinda smarmy. I think the writer can write, but instead of honing in on her skill she writes mushy, cheesy, lushy, topics. It had some witty moments and some funny moments. I give it that. I just wish the writer wouldn't stay in the land of heaving chests and quivering lips. I think it's kind of funny to describe this as a heaving chest book with nuns. Kind of gross really. I didn't buy into ...more
Lesa Baxter
Jul 26, 2015 Lesa Baxter rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
Ok, maybe I just need to stick with Beta heroes or something, but let's be honest - this guy was a DICK. Even worse, he never redeemed himself at the end. The heroine had to placate him and that was that.
Tabs
Jul 26, 2015 Tabs rated it liked it
Shelves: medieval
Parts of this were really fun but I had a problem with the hero acting like a jerk to the heroine for great swaths of the book. Could have used some good grovel. I did really like the ingenious heroine, though. I'm always looking for solid Medievals so I'll probably try another from this author.
Dottiebears
Sep 21, 2015 Dottiebears rated it really liked it
If the h had been named Maria I would have thought I was reading the sound of music at the beginning of the book. Fortunately it improved by mid-book.
Gelo Salinio
Nov 30, 2015 Gelo Salinio rated it really liked it
I actually kind of liked it even though this book is kinda of old. The characters are somewhat interesting for me and I just can't help but love it even more cause of it. The book is nice and that's all what matters to me :P.
Jessica Bartels
Jun 26, 2014 Jessica Bartels marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Lillian
When I read this it was called The Husband Judge, not The Husband Test. Maybe, the title changed in the last seven years.
Elisa Bookaholic
Feb 20, 2012 Elisa Bookaholic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback, romance
Loved it. I fell right into the story and really cared what was going to happen to the characters. All except one of the nuns. Clemmie just never became real. That is the only negative thing I have to say about this book though.

I'm going to have to find the first of the series and then the others because this is definitely going on my keeper shelf. This can be read as a stand alone. I didn't even know it was the second in the series until I got on here to post it. lol

So exciting to find another
Mae R
Apr 30, 2014 Alexa Moss rated it it was amazing
love it
Amy
Aug 16, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
I debated between 3 and 4 stars for this book because it was really a good read except for the few PG-13+ scenes. I didn't know it was a second book in a series because it was a total stand-alone story. I really loved the main characters. The book is written in the medieval time period, which I love, and i thought the story was well paced and entertaining.
Brenda (b)
This was a delightful story. I loved the characters. They were personable and endearing. The idea of a "husband judge" was a new one for me. Sister Eloise had me chuckling several times.

side note -- Peril introduced himself to the Abbess as a loyal subject of Edward of England. The first five King Edwards ruled during the medieval period.
Naomi
Aug 09, 2015 Naomi rated it liked it
3.5/5
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
So how bad is this? I remember this cover very distinctly I even remember this author. I remember this title yet when it comes to this story, I can't remember a bloody thing. Not a thing. I know I read it because I felt it was okay. This tells me...story didn't do anything for me.
Maggie
Oct 13, 2013 Maggie rated it really liked it
Nice story, good heroine and hero, worth reading. Had a bit of everything wit, danger, treachery, villains and love. Only problem I had was that I thought it was going to be funny and I did not find it LOL funny, just smiled now and again.
Lavender Brooke
Sep 09, 2013 Lavender Brooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Sweet. I really enjoyed the heroine, she was of the all-ways-up-to-something school of heroine but sweet and earnest with it. I loved that drove the Earl a bit demented with her interfering, busy-body ways too.

• Fires of Winter (Tales of Jernaeve, #2)
  • Bride for a Night
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Saxon Bride (Bride #4)
  • Take Me, I'm Yours
  • The Angel and the Prince
  • The Brat
  • The Lover
  • Come Back to Me (Viking & Saxon, #3)
  • A Mother's Way
  • Stealing Heaven (Medieval #3)
  • The Babe Magnet
  • A Kiss at Midnight
  • Aphrodite's Flame (Superhero Central #4)
  • Wicked (Medieval Trilogy, #3)
Krahn, born Betina Maynard, is the second daughter of Dors Maynard and Regina Triplett. Krahn learned to read at the age of four, and began making up her own stories when she was only six. In fifth grade she won a silver "Noble Order of Bookworms" pin for her achievements in reading, and the following year she began writing down her stories.

Krane was graduated from high school in Newark, Ohio and
More about Betina Krahn...

Brides of Virtue (3 books)
  • The Wife Test (Brides of Virtue, 1)
  • The Marriage Test (Brides of Virtue, 3)