Start by marking “I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability” as Want to Read:
I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability

I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability

After years working as a journeyman comic, struggling from one gig to the next, Ron White-now known by fans (and law enforcement officials) as "Tater Salad"-struck gold with the Blue Collar Comedy phenomenon.

Here, Ron brings his unique brand of humor to the page, accompanied by hilarious illustrations by acclaimed cartoonist Matthew Schultz. For hardcore "Tater" fans and
Published May 1st 2007 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published June 6th 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability

T.J.
Dec 12, 2012 T.J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography, comedy
Not a classic or literary gold by any means, if You've seen the comedy hours you've already heard over half the material in here. This is still a likeable, honest autobiography. If you like the man read the book.
Rachel
Jan 02, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-rental
72% of this book was his stand up routine. Yes, I actually counted the pages. Out of that 72%, half of it was cartoon illustrations of the stories that did not add anything to the book. The book would be shorter by almost half without the pictures. The stand up portion of the book will fall flat if you have never watched his stand up routine live, but on the other hand if you have seen him perform it then you have already heard it all anyway. There were maybe 4 pages of material that I don't rem ...more
Wayland Smith
If you're familiar with Ron "Tater Salad" White, you know what to expect from parts of this book. If you're not, I really do recommend his stand up. Ron is a very entertaining performer, probably best known as part of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour with Jeff Foxworthy (who he credits with making his career and being a great friend), Bill Engvall, and Larry the Cable Guy.

The book is a mixture of a few different elements. There are bits from his stand up routines, which fans will recognize. Many of
AndrewP
Mar 23, 2012 AndrewP rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is four of Ron White's stage acts put down on paper, with a couple of background chapters on his real life.
The stage act material goes to prove the old saying about comedy "It's not what you say, but how you say it." When Ron does these on stage they are very funny, even if you have heard them before. On paper they just don't work.
The real life chapters were interesting but point towards the idea that Ron is mostly a big jackass off stage. From what is written in this book he is probab
Cagne
I watched some Comedy central blue collar thing (the DVD?) and Ron White was my favorite among them, with his debaucher attitude. Years later, I've also heard his recent WTF interview. I wasn't sure about the "putting his act on writing" part of the book, but I saw it's alternated with some biographic chapters, and those convinced me to read the book. Liked it. The life events he (maybe) skimmed through on that podcast were dwelt deeper in the short bio part.
Gina Mora
Mar 29, 2011 Gina Mora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2011
This book made me laugh. I had already heard most of the comedic bits- which helped put the book completely in his tone of voice- but the background stories were really interesting. I knew that he had a dependence on Scotch, but I didn't know how much it hindered his career. Great book- I like him more now than before I read it, and I guess that that is all you can ask of a book about someone's life.
Cindy
Oct 31, 2014 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Do you like Ron White? Have you watched Blue Collar Comedy Tour or one of his other comedy specials on HBO? If so, there's not much point in reading this. This is mostly his stand-up acts interspersed with some biographical material. The stand-up is lifted almost verbatim. Like those movie tie-in books that are just the script in novel form. It was not bad - I like Ron White - but I guess I was expecting more.
Missy
Jun 05, 2012 Missy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a funny book to read while sitting on the beach. I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. I did feel like much of it was straight from the standup shows I'd seen and I found I enjoyed the behind the scenes stories and wished for a bit more of that. By the end of the book it was a stretch for information.
David
Jan 07, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a quick read, nothing deep here folks. This is the type of book I woul dhave loved in school when you are forced to read. Big margins and every over page is an ink drawing illustration. I really like his standup so I enjoyed the book. He talks very highly of Jeff Foxworthy who comes across as a great friend and mentor.
Tracy  Burd
I read this book on my dad's recommendation. I like Ron White, and have seen him on tv often. His book is taken straight from his stand up act. The act is much better. The words are flat and almost stupid at times, the act is hilarious all the way through. I probably won't read anymore books by him.
Valerie
Mar 29, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of this is word for word from his standup act...and I can hear his voice in my head, so it worked well (I'm not sure how it would come across to someone unfamiliar with his act--probably reads a lot angrier than it's delivered). I enjoyed the biographical info, which was new to me.
Have to say, I don't much care for the illustrations.
Brian
May 02, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
is there anyway to make more distinctions with the rating system...i am new to this game. for instance, when i'm sitting on the john and reading this...it's definitely a six. when i'm just sitting in my round black sort of basket reading chair, it's more like a 5 and a half. it's somewhat hard to explain.
Dave
Jun 24, 2013 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of this book made me laugh. But a lot of it is transcripts of routines that are even funnier on video. If I could do it over, I'd invest in the video and live without the relatively little new material that fills in between the routines.
Adam Nulph
If you are a fan of Ron then you will like this book. It includes many of his familuar skits, but the best part is the behind the scenes insight into how he became a comedian and the exploits along the way. It is an easy read that is worthwhile, if nothing else during bathroom time
Stephen Young
Strictly for fans. Consists mostly of print versions of White's standup routines. The remainder is backstory about his life which apparently has been a tough one although his problems are mostly self made.
Roadhouse
It is an entertaining book. Drunken stories with bad ending are humorous. Others people misfortune makes me laugh, like when someone trips. If you have ever laughed when someone tripped, you will like this book.
Denise
Dec 22, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!!! LOL funny. Yes, Ron does talk about how he became a comedian but he told it in Ron White fashion so you will find yourself laughing but then he goes into some of his comedy...well, if you have a weak bladder you might want to put on a Depends before reading. Just sayin....
Melissa
Apr 27, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
I am a huge fan of Ron White so I knew 90% of the book already. It was interesting learning a little about his personal stuff. I would recommend it if you haven't heard his act but you are a fan of the blue collar comedy stuff.
Lori
Jul 28, 2013 Lori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Complete waste of part of an afternoon. Surprise! It reads like a crasser version of the anecdotes that follow articles in Reader's Digest. I'm actually kind of embarrassed to put it on my list. It was that bad.
angrykitty
Apr 27, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, humor
in find ron white to be really funny. dan read this today...yup....all in a day...and so i'm now reading it. there's lots of pictures.

this was a pretty funny book. if you like ron white, you'd probably like this book, even though it does just rehash a lot of his stand-up material.
Ariestess
Aug 11, 2009 Ariestess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Ron White. I figured this would be a good book to have in our library. It's a mix of both his stand-up routines and newer material [well, new to me:].

It's a perfect "bathroom" book: The sections are relatively short, perfect for use in the bathroom.
Hugo
Mar 22, 2016 Hugo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-comedy
About half of the book is taken right out of his standup routines, so that takes some points off.
the other half are some stories about how he got started in standup and his life, interesting stuff.
there is no real comedy "craft" discussion on this book.
Linda
Apr 14, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Ron can be pretty funny so I found this booking amusing. It was a quick easy read and a welcome change from the norm.
Knitter
Mostly bits from his regular comedy routine but a quick fluffy read that requires very little attention.
Rosie
Jun 01, 2009 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
funny
Indah Threez Lestari
Aug 10, 2010 Indah Threez Lestari rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english
Too rude to my taste of humor. For a stand up comedian's book, Seinfeld's book is waaaay much better.
Tim
May 08, 2009 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just brutal. I wouldn't advocate burning books, but if I did this would be the first one one the pile.
Frank Taranto
Sep 27, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, memoir
Some wonderfully amusing stories from a very interesting man. Part of Foxworthy's Blue Comedy Tour.

Dan
Feb 09, 2009 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mix of comedy and biography.
Angie
Aug 29, 2010 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not great literature but entertaining
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • When My Love Returns from the Ladies Room, Will I Be Too Old To Care? (MM to TR Promotion)
  • Ronnie and Nancy: Their Path to the White House--1911 to 1980
  • I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas
  • The Rant Zone: An All-Out Blitz Against Soul-Sucking Jobs, Twisted Child Stars, Holistic Loons, and People Who Eat Their Dogs!
  • The History of King Richard III
  • Babyhood
  • Childhood
  • Brutal: The Untold Story of My Life Inside Whitey Bulger's Irish Mob
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word For It
  • Bloody Times: The Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Manhunt for Jefferson Davis
  • Plain Speaking: an Oral Biography of Harry S Truman
  • I'm Not Really Here
  • Karl Marx: His Life and Environment
  • Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death
  • Babies and Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have around the Home
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore Roosevelt
Ronald Dee "Ron" White (born December 18, 1956) is an American stand up comedian and actor, best known as a charter member of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. He is the author of the book I Had the Right to Remain Silent But I Didn't Have the Ability (Dutton 2006, ISBN 978-0-525-94961-9), which appeared on the New York Times best seller list.
More about Ron White...

“When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Then find someone who's life is givin' them vodka and have a party!” 37 likes
“You can't fix stupid! ” 31 likes