Start by marking “I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability” as Want to Read:
I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability

I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  40 reviews
After years working as a journeyman comic, struggling from one gig to the next, Ron White-now known by fans (and law enforcement officials) as "Tater Salad"-struck gold with the Blue Collar Comedy phenomenon.

Here, Ron brings his unique brand of humor to the page, accompanied by hilarious illustrations by acclaimed cartoonist Matthew Schultz. For hardcore "Tater" fans and...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published June 6th 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability

Brian
is there anyway to make more distinctions with the rating system...i am new to this game. for instance, when i'm sitting on the john and reading this...it's definitely a six. when i'm just sitting in my round black sort of basket reading chair, it's more like a 5 and a half. it's somewhat hard to explain.
T.J.
Not a classic or literary gold by any means, if You've seen the comedy hours you've already heard over half the material in here. This is still a likeable, honest autobiography. If you like the man read the book.
Rachel
72% of this book was his stand up routine. Yes, I actually counted the pages. Out of that 72%, half of it was cartoon illustrations of the stories that did not add anything to the book. The book would be shorter by almost half without the pictures. The stand up portion of the book will fall flat if you have never watched his stand up routine live, but on the other hand if you have seen him perform it then you have already heard it all anyway. There were maybe 4 pages of material that I don't rem...more
AndrewP
This book is four of Ron White's stage acts put down on paper, with a couple of background chapters on his real life.
The stage act material goes to prove the old saying about comedy "It's not what you say, but how you say it." When Ron does these on stage they are very funny, even if you have heard them before. On paper they just don't work.
The real life chapters were interesting but point towards the idea that Ron is mostly a big jackass off stage. From what is written in this book he is probab...more
Knitter
Mostly bits from his regular comedy routine but a quick fluffy read that requires very little attention.
Gina Mora
This book made me laugh. I had already heard most of the comedic bits- which helped put the book completely in his tone of voice- but the background stories were really interesting. I knew that he had a dependence on Scotch, but I didn't know how much it hindered his career. Great book- I like him more now than before I read it, and I guess that that is all you can ask of a book about someone's life.
Valerie
Some of this is word for word from his standup act...and I can hear his voice in my head, so it worked well (I'm not sure how it would come across to someone unfamiliar with his act--probably reads a lot angrier than it's delivered). I enjoyed the biographical info, which was new to me.
Have to say, I don't much care for the illustrations.
Missy

This was a funny book to read while sitting on the beach. I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. I did feel like much of it was straight from the standup shows I'd seen and I found I enjoyed the behind the scenes stories and wished for a bit more of that. By the end of the book it was a stretch for information.
Denise
Hilarious!!! LOL funny. Yes, Ron does talk about how he became a comedian but he told it in Ron White fashion so you will find yourself laughing but then he goes into some of his comedy...well, if you have a weak bladder you might want to put on a Depends before reading. Just sayin....
David
It was a quick read, nothing deep here folks. This is the type of book I woul dhave loved in school when you are forced to read. Big margins and every over page is an ink drawing illustration. I really like his standup so I enjoyed the book. He talks very highly of Jeff Foxworthy who comes across as a great friend and mentor.
Tracy  Burd
I read this book on my dad's recommendation. I like Ron White, and have seen him on tv often. His book is taken straight from his stand up act. The act is much better. The words are flat and almost stupid at times, the act is hilarious all the way through. I probably won't read anymore books by him.
angrykitty
in find ron white to be really funny. dan read this today...yup....all in a day...and so i'm now reading it. there's lots of pictures.

this was a pretty funny book. if you like ron white, you'd probably like this book, even though it does just rehash a lot of his stand-up material.
Adam Nulph
If you are a fan of Ron then you will like this book. It includes many of his familuar skits, but the best part is the behind the scenes insight into how he became a comedian and the exploits along the way. It is an easy read that is worthwhile, if nothing else during bathroom time
Ariestess
I adore Ron White. I figured this would be a good book to have in our library. It's a mix of both his stand-up routines and newer material [well, new to me:].

It's a perfect "bathroom" book: The sections are relatively short, perfect for use in the bathroom.
Dave
A lot of this book made me laugh. But a lot of it is transcripts of routines that are even funnier on video. If I could do it over, I'd invest in the video and live without the relatively little new material that fills in between the routines.
Melissa
I am a huge fan of Ron White so I knew 90% of the book already. It was interesting learning a little about his personal stuff. I would recommend it if you haven't heard his act but you are a fan of the blue collar comedy stuff.
Roadhouse
It is an entertaining book. Drunken stories with bad ending are humorous. Others people misfortune makes me laugh, like when someone trips. If you have ever laughed when someone tripped, you will like this book.
Lori
Complete waste of part of an afternoon. Surprise! It reads like a crasser version of the anecdotes that follow articles in Reader's Digest. I'm actually kind of embarrassed to put it on my list. It was that bad.
Sally
I have enjoyed Ron White's comedy with the Blue Collar group, but this book was bloody awful. It was not funny, but merely the ramblings of a drunken self absorbed moron with no personal integrity.
Kerri
If you love laughing at Ron's stand-up(as I do), this is a collection of his jokes, some old and some new, I believe. I love having it around to give me a laugh and it is a very quick read.
May
First Sentence: "I'm going to start off by asking a question, 'cause I don't know the answer."

The book had some funny moments. I still prefer to watch him on the telly though.
Allison
This book starts off a bit slow and it is not even close to seeing Ron White live, but if you really like him, it's worth the 3 to 4 hours it takes to get through.
Audrey
Nov 17, 2008 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Ron White and the Blue Collar Comedy Tour
Shelves: biograpy, humor
If you love Ron White and the Blue Collar Comedy Tour then you'll love this book! It takes Ron's usual act and splices it in with a bit of biography.
Ok, this one is crass and vulgar humor. Sometimes you just need to have a good laugh. It was on the $5 table at B&N so I couldn't resist.
Stacey
I've heard all the stand up in this book already. What I really enjoyed were the stories about his life inbetween. They were great!
Leslie
Dec 09, 2007 Leslie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ron White fans
Shelves: comedians
Half the book is jokes from his act. The other half is crazy stories of drunkenness. I like his act, but the book could have been better.
Lmevans926
currently reading , but funny. Mostly material I have heard from his show, but learning some new things about him personally.
Tim
This book is just brutal. I wouldn't advocate burning books, but if I did this would be the first one one the pile.
Gabby Sida
It's his onstage sets with glimpses to various experiences that have helped mold him into the comedian he is today.
Indah Threez Lestari
Too rude to my taste of humor. For a stand up comedian's book, Seinfeld's book is waaaay much better.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
How Computers Work Memory Improvement: How To Improve Your Memory In Just 30 Days 22 Success Lessons From Baseball Memory in a Month Holland

“You can't fix stupid! ” 30 likes
“When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Then find someone who's life is givin' them vodka and have a party!” 29 likes