Start by marking “Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)” as Want to Read:
Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)

Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  58,322 ratings  ·  1,508 reviews
Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, takes on a case as a favor to his friend Thomas-a vampire of dubious integrity-only to become the prime suspect in a series of ghastly murders.
Published August 3rd 2004 by Roc (first published August 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Rites, please sign up.

Gabdingo That's a really good question. The pack has proven themselves in the past, and werewolves seem to be natural enemies of vampires. I think he…moreThat's a really good question. The pack has proven themselves in the past, and werewolves seem to be natural enemies of vampires. I think he specifically mentions he doesn't want to drag Michael into anymore trouble, but I feel the wolves would have been a huge asset here.(less)

Stephen
Stick a fork in me, folks…I’m done. My relationship with the Dresden Files has officially hit rock bottom.
rockbottomv2

This is one review I've been dreading to write, both because A LOT of my friends passionately love these books, and because there are so many aspects of the series that are praise-worthy and enjoyable. The world-building is terrific, the magic system is well constructed, and there are host of likeable supporting characters, such as Thomas, Kincaid, Bob, Michael, Ebenezer...just to name a fe
Chris
Book Twenty-four
[image error]
Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

"Hell's Bells" count: 19 [1:]

As far as I know, The Dresden Files is an open-ended series that Butcher will continue to write until he decides to end it, which is fine with me. He's set up a universe that has endless possibilities to it, from simple mysteries to humorous romps to soul-searing betrayal and heartache. Can't go wrong with all that, and if Butcher wants to just keep putting out Dresden books every eighteen months or so, I'll happ
Richard
9/10

This was probably the best outing in the Dresden world for me to date. The series could have gone one of two ways really; tedious and repetitive with stale characters with a too jokey style or an ever increasing amount of world building with entertaining characters with a whimsical style that amused. Luckily, the later seems to be more apt for me and I love that with each novel there is more information provided, like a slow drip feeding, about the world and characters to draw you in further
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Despite the fact that this book needed an editor to point out places where the character gets up from a chair twice in the same paragraph without ever sitting down again or when he eats 3 breakfasts at three different places while seeing a doctor at the last minute between the last two (er, what time is breakfast at the last place?) without ever even mentioning he was full... Okay I'm going to pause there and add a period because even though that isn't a complete sentence, it's too dang long.

Any
Callista
Jim
It was a pretty good romp in many ways, but I was highly ticked off my numerous logical flaws, especially around the middle of the book. Harry's staff is very important, but through sheer sloppiness, Butcher manages to have it in two places.

He also puts a manual car - one that has been a stick throughout the series & we just read was hard for Harry to drive due to a wounded leg - into 'drive' instead of first. A sentence or two later, he shifts into second.

Power is out in the city - a big
DarkHeart "Vehngeance"
Well, I'm definitely glad that I stuck it out through the first couple of books in this series, as it's just moving from strength to strength now. By this, the sixth book, the cast of characters is well developed and one that we've grown quite attached to. As such it was wonderful to have Murphy play such a prominent role in this one and took get a better look into her life. Harry's life also opened up some more and some very significant events took place. Thomas has always been a favorite, so I ...more
David Sven
This is probably my favourite Dresden novel so far. The plot was tight and well paced. The sub plot/side story enhanced the main story instead of competing with it (like the last book instalment). The story just flowed smoothly and James Marsters has the audio narration down pat making for an overall enjoyable reading/listening experience.

This book we learn more about Harry’s past and more about his family, his mother in particular. There are some juicy revelations that continue to build Harry’s
Rob
Executive Summary: Mr. Butcher ramps things up with this story, and continues to break away from the formulaic style of the previous novels.

Audio book: Nothing really of note for this book, although James Marsters does get to try his hand at a Greek accent, which to me sounded pretty good. At this point in the series, I can't imagine anyone else reading it.

Full Review
So for me, the turning point for the series starts with the last book
Death Masks, but if that one didn't impress you, this one s
Martha
I first heard of the Dresden Files when the Sci Fi Channel made a show about it. I watched all the episodes, and no, it wasn't the greatest show, but I was intrigued and hoped that it would come back a little cleaned up (I believe it's been canceled.) It turns out my parents are big fans of the books, so I thought I'd give them a try.

I should say that I read a couple of the books already, I think #1 and #3, both of which I thought were decent. Not great, but not bad either. This is not a series
Alex Ristea

This is the best Dresden novel yet.

Jim Butcher's writing is getting better and better. It's tighter, cleverer, and has a higher laugh-out-loud per chapter ratio, much to the consternation of everyone else on my commute.

This is my preferred style of humour, and Blood Rites is probably the funniest book I've ever read.

In fact, it had one of the best single lines ever, which was doubly as effective in audiobook because it was read slowly and I couldn't peek ahead and ruin the surprise.

Ready? Here i
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: R
Overall: Typical Harry
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Wow, so much going on. We learn a lot about Harry’s past in this one
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Thomas

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

There was so much going on in this one. I’m not sure why I didn’t like it as much. I found myself drifting a lot during the listening and not bothering to rewind. Hmmm. It wasn’t a bad story. In fact we have succubi and incubi in
Sath
One of the best opening scenes for a Dresden novel yet, Dresden is fleeing for his life, carrying a box of puppies, and being chased by purple monkey demons that fling flaming poo. Awesome. Just awesome.

Then Thomas, Harry's white court vampire friend, persuades Harry to take on a job as a favour to him. Arturo Genosa is a producer of x-rated movies, and women around him are being killed off by an entropy curse. So Harry has to protect the women, whilst trying to find the actual perpetrator, and
Rick Riordan
My guilty pleasure reading is the Harry Dresden series, featuring Chicago’s only professional wizard. Butcher has the first-person hardboiled narrator voice down pat, and throws out one-liners and rock ‘em sock ‘em action with equal abandon. Harry Dresden’s world gets increasingly complicated in this book with new allies and new enemies, and I’m glad I went back and started at the beginning of the series. This book, like the rest of the series, offers a wild ride and lots of fun.
Tania
3.5 stars.
Hell's bells, this was exactly what I needed! Fun, funny and fast-paced. This series is perfect for those times when you just need to escape reality. I'll be reading number 7 very shortly!
Lee
Book six in the Dresden series takes us to a whole new level with Butchers ability to spin a yarn.
Given what these stories are, I was expecting to see a different story based on the same theme for the next twenty books, or for how ever many he could spin out and have readers pay for. There is a limit that I will go to, when the story just becomes wizard vs Vampire or demon, but I have to say that Butcher stepped up to the plate and kicked ass with this one.

We still have our usual bashed and bat
Sandi
Steven
I fricking love Jim Butcher. I love Harry Dresden, I love Karrin Murphy, I love Thomas Raith. I love Mister and Mouse, Bob and Ebenezer, and every single thing about this series!

Justin
“The building was on fire and it wasn’t my fault,” says Harry in the opening line of Blood Rites. This has to be one of my favorite DRESDEN FILES books, and the very first line is quite possibly one of the most memorable in the series. Harry has been asked for a favor by his pseudo-friend and White Court Vampire, Thomas Raith: he is to investigate a possible death curse at an independent adult film studio. As with all DRESDEN stories, not everything is as it appears to be. Harry finds himself in ...more
Eon
Sooo close.... 4.5 Stars

If book 5 was a hole-in-one, this one lipped out. Just needed a little something extra, but a great read through and through.

Cannot wait to get started on the next one.

Evgeny
A friendly White Court vampire Thomas asked Harry Dresden to take a job of protecting a movie producer who seems to be a target of a dark force trying to kill him. It seemed to be simple enough until people start dropping dead left and right under a very unusual circumstances (how is about being hit by a car while water skiing?).

The book starts on a very humorous note, but became much darker afterwards. It gives some insight on Harry's family and mentors. It also has the best portrayal (so far)
Becky
3.5 Stars

Very interesting... I have to say, Dresden is imaginative as hell in his insults... not so much in his pet names.

I liked this book, but it kinda fell off from the last two, which I really enjoyed. I was interested in the main story, but the setting was kinda... gratuitous. Gratuitous. Yep, that's the word.

Anyway, this was good, but not the best in the series in my opinion. I do like some of the developments in Dresden's life, though, so here's to the next book. :D

Carol.
Three and a half stars. Haven't hit it for a re-read in a while, so I'll eventually have to come back to this review. Liked the developing relationship with Thomas. Notable for the introduction of Mouse.
Deborah Markus
Dear Jim Butcher and Everyone Who Looks Like Jim Butcher:

So apparently if men like motorcycles (and a great many do), it's because motorcycles are awesome. If women like them, it's because women have a space between their legs that needs filling. Got it. Thanks.

Sincerely,
The Bitter Redhead

As you can see, this book got four stars from me. That's how you know how good the dialogue, pacing, plotting, characterization, and world-building are. If Jim Butcher would stop doing stupid things with women,
Nimrod Daniel
Another good book in this great series. The book focuses on the white court, while we learn more about how they act, and their motivations. The black court also has some role in this book,and we learn more about them, but no doubt that the focus is on the white court.

We see a major character development regarding Murphy in this book, and for the matter of fact after six books I really start to like her. Thomas also has an important role in the story, and we get to know him much better. Harry is
Chris
Ranting Dragon

In Blood Rites, the sixth installment in Jim Butcher’s bestselling The Dresden Files series, Harry’s acquaintance Thomas brings Harry a client who works in one of the most unlikely industries Harry has yet found himself in: adult film. It seems that the director/producer of a new studio thinks he is the target for a death curse, except it’s the women around him who are dying in unusual ways. It’s up to Harry to solve the mystery before anyone else winds up
Ben Babcock
Riju Ganguly
Suppose you are tired. And when I say tired, I mean that bone-crushing, mind-numbing, everything going slow-motion type of tired. Now consider picking up a book, just to allow yourself to be slowly cajoled to sleep, so that neither the bed nor the pillow can hit you unaware. And then consider staying awake for hours & hours, simply because the book wouldn’t let you go before you are through with it (and it’s through with you). The present book under review did exactly that, and gave the word ...more
Cathy
Danger, heatbreak, humor, betrayal, epic love, Murph on a motorcycle (and in pink panties!), Mommy issues, and most importantly, a puppy! And a lot more. Oh yeah, excellent use of past elements and tantalizing hints for the future. Hellfire?
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (MHI, #2)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye #3)
  • Roadkill (Cal Leandros #5)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)

“Are you always a smartass?'

Nope. Sometimes I'm asleep.”
1484 likes