Raising the Stones

Raising the Stones (Arbai #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,558 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The author of The Gate to Women's Country and Grass weaves a moving story of one man's coming to accept his role in a far future universe, providing a brilliant exploration of relations between the sexes, the value of religion, and marnkind's place in the universe.
Published August 1st 1991 by Spectra (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Raising the Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising the Stones

Lindsay
This book was pretty uneven. There were parts of it that I loved, and (usually longer) parts I was bored by. It could have benefited from some tightening up; the parts that bored me seemed to be just waiting for the plot to catch up with the exposition.

However, even though it probably contributed to the book's length, I liked the fact that the story was told from so many characters' perspectives. Especially because this isn't a story about individuals, but about societies, it seems necessary to...more
Emily
This was good stuff. Like lots of Tepper's books, it grappled with issues of gender roles and spirituality.

The story takes place in a solar system where there are several occupied worlds. One of these worlds, a relative backwater, has some indigenous gods. They look like big stones that live in little houses, and are tended by the Ones Who. The Ones Who are people who just start to feel as though they would like to take care of the local god. On this planet, there is little conflict or struggle...more
Delicious Strawberry
I read 'Sideshow' before this, and reading this book actually made some of the things in Sideshow easier to understand. This is my favorite book out of the trilogy, though the trilogy overall is good and I recommend all three books. The premise is very interesting, and it's easy to see that the strictly patriarchal religion of Voorstod is a combination of fundamentalist Christian and Islamic teachings. Not surprising since Ms. Tepper has very strong feminist feelings and this shows up a lot in h...more
Kate
I'd forgotten quite how amazing this book is. Tepper when she is on form writes grippingly and her characters are really well formed. The Grass/Stones/Sideshow trilogy is my absolute favourite of hers, and of the three books, I think Stones is the best. The plot is multi-layered and intriguing, and I LOVE the idea of the Hobbs Land Gods (and the reasons why some people/cultures/religions might think that they might not be a good thing). I just wish they were real as to be honest, the world could...more
Amanda
Loved it. Samasnier Girat, the narrator, is irritating as crap for a good bit of the book, but the things he's irritating about help you understand life on Hobb's Land.
There's a scene I particularly love, about the aftermath of a terrorist attack against Hobb's Land, where Mysore Hobbs tries to find out what happened and why, and runs up against a bureacracy to end all bureacracies. After the tragedy of the killings in the previous chapters, this restrained and slyly funny interlude was very wel...more
Zack Hiwiller
Pretty much everything I look for in SF/F. The plot was lively and kept me interested. The characters were multi-dimensional. The sci-fi ideas made sense and served the story, the Big Ideas were meaningful and dealt with some relevant philosophical questions and there were just enough oddball things (like the Porsa) that the story will stick with me.

However, I can see this one being not for everyone. There are almost as many characters as Game of Thrones and it doesn't seem like their stories wi...more
Isabel
A black-and-white tabby cat came into the room with a live ferf in her jaws. She jumped onto the plinth and laid the animal against the base of the mass, then jumped down and left the room, purring loudly.
Two other cats came in with similar burdens.
"That was Gotoit's cat," Jep remarked after a time. "That stripey one. She calls it Lucky."
Saturday nodded and brushed the surface of the plinth with her bare palm, cleaning away the few scraps of scruffy ferf hair that remained on the stone. The bodi
Martha
Mitch
I found this book objectionable for the same reasons a woman would dislike reading a novel thoroughly laced with misogynist statements.

Ms. Tepper does this well. Only on occasion does she descend into angry rants against men; she is far more subtle and skillful than that most of the time. But it's all there.

Men are to be mistrusted. They are misled, egotistic, violent, power-hungry, oppressive, cruel and only capable of being saved by becoming more like women.

Raising the Stones? More like cuttin...more
Mary Holland
Sheri Tepper has written over 20 books, and in my opinion, this is one of her best. It's not mentioned anymore in her current back jacket blurb and seems to be overlooked. It's also out of print, which is a shame. Tepper is known for polemical writing and sometimes it overwhelms her story, but here she gets the balance just right. It has a wonderful, unusual premise: what if you had a god that worked? Her world-building is perfect, logical, and fascinating, and the characters are memorable.
Amos
Beautifully written. This is the first book I've read by this author; I love her philosophy and theology and admire how she presents it through a wonderful story. I appreciated her pacing; not rushing from action scene to action scene, plenty of time to get to know the characters and come to care for them. Good suspense building toward the end, with some fine humor thrown in.
James Owen Ether
Just finished reading for the 3rd or 4th time, this time with my partner. It's a different experience reading Tepper's works out loud. Her sermons about religion and philosophy have always seemed to stretch out much longer than necessary, but they do this even more so when you have to speak through all the words. Kris was distracted and annoyed by the strange names in the beginning, but got used to it, and was amazed by the book by the end.
This is a great example of Tepper's complexity. Multipl...more
Karen
It's been a while since I've read a Tepper book, and it took me a good long while to get through this one. Not because there is anything wrong with Tepper but because her books are very dense. There's a lot to shift through and it's not a fast read. That being said, I didn't really care for the story or characters that much. But the ideas that were presented through the story really made me think a lot about religion especially but also quite appropriately the idea of the hero's journey (since t...more
Bria
Velvetink
Sep 03, 2014 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
$2. found at the salvos
Stan Pedzick
Katie M.
Aug 05, 2011 Katie M. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: feminists, mycologists, sf fans
Raising the Stones is an interesting and well-told piece of idea-heavy science fiction. I was particularly impressed by how Tepper brings together the diverse threads and many characters of her story at the end. The book started out rather slowly, but it built up momentum and tension.

Like most of Tepper's books, this one has strong feminist themes. It's a bit anvilicious at times and occasionally prone to overgeneralization, but valuable nonetheless.
Alayne
When a book makes me think about it for some time after finishing it, I consider it to be a good book. This one was very thought provoking, as it covers topics as varied as what makes a god, what is religion, and the treatment of women. Very good! All done in an amusing and entertaining way, with a book that keeps you turning the pages all the way through.
Michele Tracy
I am new to Tepper's work and just finished Grass which was spell-binding. Here she takes up themes about religion, women's oppression and alien cultures in a profound way. I could not put this book down. I also think while Grass also explores the themes I identified above, in RTS the depth of characterization is much more complex and satisfying.
Christopher Sutch
This is one hell of a good book. Her previous novel, _Grass_ was quite good, but this one is better. I like the depth of imagination, the world-building, the multiple serious issues Tepper raises. This is as close to literature as science fiction gets, usually (and unfortunately).
Nancy
I had to read this a couple of times because I missed some important stuff. Like her other books, it's eerie and scary, and there are some images that don't leave your mind. Don't rush your reading or you will miss out.
Nick
Sherri S. Tepper writes some science fiction that I really enjoy. This one has to do with religious superiority complexes, intolerance and mind-controlling fungus. Despite all that, it's a light read and goes pretty fast.
Dodie Reed
Sheri Tepper's books are always good! This one is no exception. It was read so long ago now, that I no longer remember what it was about, but do know that I've never read a book authored by her that wasn't great.
Fiona
Seriously my favourite book ever! can't quite explain why but it is my top book, re-read it every year at least and it was one of the first books i bought on my new kindle
Barbara
was a bit put off some by the caricature of the myths til it became clear that well,myths ARE just sketchy caricatures and that yea maybe it is time we write sime new ones...
Elena
a little wonky with the names and things but ultimately a very sweet story about hope and possibility and what people will do to kill it and how it survives
Kathleen Dixon
2004 isn't that long ago - I can almost remember this book. And again, I really would love to read it again, but there are So Many Books that need to be read!
Ceilidh
This book changed my life, it gave me a whole new perspective on the world. I carry it with me where ever I go so I can reread it any time.
Kali
For me, this is very much a bridge between Grass and Sideshow. It's very good, but I'd read it less if it weren't for sideshow.
Christine
Had to really push myself to finish this one. Not my favorite of hers. She's still my favorite author though!
  • The Summer Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #3)
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)
  • Adulthood Rites (Xenogenesis, #2)
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • A Door Into Ocean
  • Vindication (Cyteen, #3)
  • Ammonite
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • Beggars and Choosers (Sleepless, #2)
  • Earthsong (Native Tongue, #3)
  • Always Coming Home
  • Gods and Pawns (Company)
20560
Sheri Stewart Tepper is a prolific American author of science fiction, horror and mystery novels; she is particularly known as a feminist science fiction writer, often with an ecofeminist slant.

Born near Littleton, Colorado, for most of her career (1962-1986) she worked for Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood, where she eventually became Executive Director. She has two children and is married to Gen...more
More about Sheri S. Tepper...
The Gate to Women's Country Grass (Arbai, #1) Beauty The Family Tree Gibbon's Decline and Fall