How We Fight: Crusades, Quagmires, and the American Way of War

How We Fight: Crusades, Quagmires, and the American Way of War

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Americans love war. We've never run from a fight. Our triumphs from the American Revolution to World War II define who we are as a nation and a people.

Americans hate war. Our leaders rush us into conflicts without knowing the facts or understanding the consequences. Korea, Vietnam, and now Iraq and Afghanistan define who we are as a nation and a people.

How We Fight explore...more
Published November 4th 2010 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about How We Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How We Fight

notabattlechick
This is a provocative book that examines the question of an American "way of war"--proposes two versions of it (the crusade and the quagmire), concludes neither are terribly promising as national security or military strategies, and proposes the recovery of a third "founding" tradition of American force, which espouses wars for limited objectives using limited means and embraces nation-building.

Broadly, Tierney's argument falls in line with Weigley's thesis in The American Way of War, and the ar...more
SA
Apr 02, 2013 SA rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I am basically the target audience for the thesis of a book like this, and that's why it was so disappointing. It read like an introductory poli-sci text, and as a result came across like Tierney was cribbing his lecture notes to make his students buy his book for class.

Also, it should have been edited for tone and structure more effectively. I felt like I was falling asleep as Tierney wandered through his narrative; never have such compelling concrete examples been made so goddamn boring, expe...more
Jon
I thought this was an enjoyable look at how, what, when and who Americans fight. Principally that Americans get behind full force interstate/ crusade type wars but the minute the war turns into nation building, Americans are averse. Part from previous failures but even after successes such as Europe and Japan after World War 2, Americans still have a very hard time supporting. Book offers a number of wars to illustrate this point.
Courtney Burns
A look at the way Americans approach and pursue two basic types of warfare (or military intervention): interstate war and nation building. I learned some interesting and fascinating things about some of the wars we have fought and had quite a few aha moments regarding how we have fought them. Very readable.
Brandon
If you want a good book that will give you a history of war fighting in the United States and how America reacts to them this book is for you. I really didn't come away with a new found sense of how America fights wars though.
Caleb
Caleb is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Magdalena
Magdalena marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Emily Reeder
Emily Reeder marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Keck Williams
Keck Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2014
jeff wong
jeff wong marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Daniel Urdzik
Daniel Urdzik marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Ashley Moonshoes
Ashley Moonshoes marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Adam
Adam added it
Jul 31, 2013
Map Alfaris
Map Alfaris marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2012
How We Fight: Crusades, Quagmires, and the American Way of War FDR and the Spanish Civil War: Neutrality and Commitment in the Struggle that Divided America FDR and the Spanish Civil War: Neutrality and Commitment in the Struggle that Divided America FDR and the Spanish Civil War: Neutrality and Commitment in the Struggle That Divided America The Right Way to Lose a War: America in an Age of Unwinnable Conflicts