Start by marking “The Unincorporated War” as Want to Read:
The Unincorporated War

The Unincorporated War (Unincorporated Man #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  676 ratings  ·  57 reviews
The Kollin brothers introduced their future world, and central character Justin Cord, in The Unincorporated Man. Justin created a revolution in that book, and is now exiled from Earth to the outer planets, where he is an heroic figure.

The corporate society which is headquartered on Earth andrules Venus, Mars, and the Orbital colonies, wants to destroy Justin and reclaim h
Published May 11th 2010 by Tor Books (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Unincorporated War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unincorporated War

Tim Hayes
Absolutely horrible, and almost certainly a crime against science fiction as a genre. As competent an exploration of the soft sciences (sociology) as was present in the prequel The Unincorporated Man, the authors managed to prove, before they were even out of the first chapter, that they should not ever include mention of the hard sciences in their future works; not only do they lack the theoretical background necessary to be informed, they also lacked the motivation to do even basic research (s ...more
Heather Pagano
Avatars, personal incorporation, battle fatigue, mind control, a controversial view on the return of religion: this book had so many interesting ideas, which is probably why I was extra disappointed by the storytelling. I did not enjoy the storytelling because I could not engage with the characters.

Characters in the book felt like engineered aspects of the author's premise. Never for one moment did I feel as though the characters had any life of their own. In most cases characters were completel
Clay
“The Unincorporated War” (Tor, 462 pages, $25.99) isn’t as good a read as the first book in what appears to be a trilogy, “The Unincorporated Man,” but it’s still a solid, old-fashioned, Solar System space opera. We’ve got the plucky folks out in the asteroid belt battling the evil dictator of Earth and Mars, we’ve got grand battles in space, we’ve got treachery and plots and love affairs and all sorts of action.

Unfortunately, Dani and Eytan Kollin (brothers) lost some of the momentum of “The Un
CV Rick
Is this really what gets past editors now?

Here's what is right with this book - it has an interesting premise and a fairly decent plot structure.

Here is what is wrong with this book:
1. Cardboard Characters.
There isn't a single believable character in this whole book. Not one with realistic motivations or actions. This is what happens when ideologues with no life experience try their hand at social commentary. Bureaucracy is bad - so everyone in the book who represents an organization of any siz
Michael Drakich
First of all, I would like to point out that I did not read the earlier book, The Unincorporated Man. I picked up this book at my local bookstore based on the blurb.

At the beginning, it showed all the promise of a standard space opera with descriptive space battles and your classic huge underdog Alliance against the evil UHF. Although unrealistic with the heavily outgunned Alliance winning stunning upset victories and the characters polarized as either very good or very evil, it had a level of f
Paul Reinheimer
Where the first book struck a delicate balance between the ideas of self-incorporation and the story of Justin Cord, this book ignores the first topic entirely. That in hand you're left with a sci-fi book with two waring factions. The stories of the battles aren't particularly memorable, neither are the politics. I feel like the first book stood on two crutches, having one pulled out in the second really hurt the book overall.
Sasha
I really like this and am excited to see where it goes. I don't think it quite lived up to the first one, but I never think the second books ever do >.<

In this sequel to The Unincorporated Man, war has broken out between the core planets and the outer civilizations following attempts at force "psych-audits" of the people from the outer alliance and the unincorporated man himself.

First of all, it kills me anytime someone says "anyways." I'm sure in 300 years, as language is living, that co
Ken Lavine
An interesting premise but I was left vaguely unsatisfied by many elements of the story. The focal(?) point of the story is the idea of personal incorporation ... the idea that people sell shares of themselves into a marketplace and it is the "invisible hand" of the market that ultimately determines your place in society. The war that ensues is between the core systems (Earth and Mars) who support the idea of incorporation and the outer alliance systems (Jupiter, Saturn, the Asteroid Belt, et al ...more
Matt
Not nearly as good as the first one. I still liked it quite a bit though. If it was a stand alone book I read for the first time I would give it 4 stars, it's only 3 compared to the first.

This is the first book I have read on a Kindle. No I did not buy a Kindle, I won it. Really. Zions wantd me to give money to the United Way and then they entered my name into a drawing and I won a Kindle. Pretty cool eh!?! Since the Kindle cost more than my donation, this was actually a profitable charitable ac
Nathaniel
After reading The Unincorporated Man I wrote in the review: "This is what a science fiction novel should be," and the Kollin Brothers did not let me down with their sequel. The Kollin Brothers are without doubt the best new sci-fi authors since John Scalzi hit the scene with Old Man's War in 2006.

The Unincorporated War is a much different story than The Unincorporated Man, and in a lot of ways that's very risky. But the only way to write a good sequel is to keep taking risks as big as the ones i
Kynan
If you liked "The Unincorporated Man" then you'll enjoy "The Unincorporated War", and if you've not read that, you should do so first as the story is directly continued from the end of the first book. I found this an enjoyable, put slightly flawed, follow-up.

The idea of the Avatars, only briefly touched upon in the first book, was interesting and I was looking forward to their world being expanded upon. Unfortunately I have the same problem with the description of the Avatars, their civilisation
Betsy
Mar 25, 2011 Betsy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Betsy by: Brass Needles Podcast
Audiobook, narrated by Eric G. Dove

I liked the first book better, The Unincorporated Man. This 2nd book in the series was a little too military sci-fi for me. I thought the first book had some very creative ideas behind it. Now Justin is the president of the Alliance (how did he go so fast from the One Free Man to the head of a huge Alliance at war?) and they're battling it out in space for most of the book. Book #1 raised questions that made you think, book #2 is more of a space opera.

I'm more
D.L. Morrese
In the world envisioned by this story, not only are corporations people, but people are corporations. They buy and sell shares of one another and pay dividends to their shareholders in a capitalist dystopia. It’s an interesting premise for a soft science fiction story, and it is why I picked up this book at the local public library last week.

The Unincorporated War begins with the Alliance (essentially all human colonies in the solar system that are beyond the orbit of Mars) in a lopsided war wit
Anna Phoenix
The first in the series (the unincorporated man) drew me in and astounded me with its volume - in characterization and attention to detail, at times a bit of a slog but utterly worth the time. That's the only reason I would have picked this one up.

I normally steer clear of war stories, real or fictional, because I have trouble visualizing and following the action. I had put this one off for just that reason - and now I wish I hadn't, because it would have been even better had I still had the fir
Krys
I should start by revealing that I know the authors of this book, and therefore I am biased.

I loved it. In my defense, I am fairly certain I would have loved this book even if I didn't kow them.

Dani and Eytan Kollin have created a genuine, dreaming-of-the-future, shiny/grimy science fiction universe with their Unincorporated series. Unincorporated Man started things off in the best space opera fashion, exploring deep concepts and the nature of humanity in a novel and imaginative setting. Unincor
Dan
I am not sure it is time to rate this book. It ends with so very many plot points unresolved that it is basically incomplete. I'll have to read the next one (two?) to figure out where this thing goes.

On a positive note, many of the very creative ideas about future society are taken to their logical ends in a very thought provoking discussion of rights, freedom and even religion - all within the confines of an epic space battle.

Yep - space battles. While the last book went with flying cars, thi
Darkwolf
Bob
This is the second book in a series that started with "The Unincorporated Man", and continues with "The Unincorporated Woman" and "The Unincorporated Future". The "Unincorporated War" is a war for individual freedom versus a very interesting version of brutal collective slavery. The implementation of this slavery could almost fool one into thinking it is a good thing -- but slavery it remains. The war turns really nasty and brutal, and the good side (the "Alliance") begins to show signs of turni ...more
Stephen Paul
The Unincorporated War is an amazing book about the Alliance revolution against the corporate core slavers in The Unincorporated Man. This book deals with heavy spacial warfare as well as political red tape during the war. Overall, I thought the book was pretty good, but I didn't think it was quite as good as the first. It lacked the amount of mysterious revealings of both characters and ideas.
One thing I truly loved about the book was the standpoint of the warfare. The story focuses less on th
Frederick Gault
Sweeping Space Opera - a civil war in the solar system - readable, another book obviously follows.
Brian
Nov 18, 2011 Brian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
I had a real on again, off again relationship with this book. For parts of it, I was forcing myself to go on. But other parts were very engaging. Then I got to the completely lame ending and I really gotta wonder if this book was produced in a hurry after the first one in the series unexpectedly sold well and a trilogy was requested by the publishers... On the other hand, I haven't read the first book either - maybe it was just as lame a cliffhanger.
This is barely a three book on average, think
Victor
Good but not quite as good as the first one.
Gerry Del Frari
Great characters. Tight action.
Maggie
Hm.

Well.

I was not as intrigued by this one as I was by their last novel. I thought the whola avatarity plot could have been thrown out the airlock and the story wouldn't have suffered a bit. Actually might have improved the plot lines as this book was incredibly long!

They dropped a few gigantic grey-bombs at the end there and then summed everything up with a "to be continued..." cop-out.

Dangit! I might have to read their next one just to finish off the story for myself.

We'll see...
Peter
This is part 2 in their "Unincorporated" series. The considered misfits of the outer planetary rim, the miners, fight an overwhelmingly lopsided battle.
They are helped by their ingenuity and wild west mentality along with some unexpected allies. The twisted threads start to intertwine as the story progresses. Humans become inhuman as war usually dictates and the non humans start developing human, both good and bad traits.
Looking forward to the third in the series. Interesting discourse so far!
Fred Hughes
This is a fascinating study on what happens when the government steps aside and lets big business run the world. Everyone is their own private corporation however they only start out with 20% of themselves in stock and have to buy back their shares.

In this book (2nd of 2 in the series) the so called "President" of the USA, the part that survived the weather bomb at least, is trying something in South Africa that if it escapes could wipe out the worlds population.

A great end of the world adventur
Lhavanya Dl
Definitely not as good as the first. Perhaps because the novelty of the concepts had worn off and anyway the book did not focus much on that. It was basically a typical sci-fi war set in outer space and battle tactics type of book. A tad cumbersome to read, then again no more so than any other book of its type and length.

The ending really left me wanting to read the third though. I definitely did not see that coming.

If you've read the previous book, well then, might as well read this one.
Tom
What was a really great book (for the most part) is ruined by the abrupt and completely non-sensical ending. I don't understand how a character who has been the epitome of careful planning and meticulous design would all the sudden break all character definition and do something so incredibly stupid and against his moral fiber. It makes no sense. I love this book for the most part, but the ending seriously made me angry.
Linda
The sequel to The Unincorporated Man, this book rocks as hard as its predecessor. What happens in a world where personal freedoms are not only taken away, but the corporation can change your you belief system without you even knowing it? Great subplot parallels an AI war along with the war between actual freedom and supposed freedom. Interesting views on religion and its necessity during times of great trouble.
Chris Hubbs
This follow-up to "The Unincorporated Man" was interesting but not as great as the first book. "Man" got to set up the universe and explore the (rather fascinating) idea of personal incorporation and how it would affect society. Now in "War", the people and ideas get lost to an extent as the story becomes a saga of system-wide war. Still an engaging story... but not as high on my list as the first book.
  • Geosynchron (Jump 225, #3)
  • The Digital Plague (Avery Cates, #2)
  • The Bradbury Report
  • Gardens of the Sun
  • A World Too Near (Entire and the Rose, #2)
  • KOP Killer (Juno Mozambe Mystery, #3)
  • The Musashi Flex (Matador, #9)
  • The Hermetic Millennia
  • Originator (Cassandra Kresnov, #6)
  • The Noise Within (Noise #1)
  • The Return (Voyagers, #4)
  • Directive 51
  • Strands of Sorrow (Black Tide Rising, #4)
  • Out of the Dark
  • Star Marines (The Legacy Trilogy, #3)
  • Realware (Ware, #4)
  • Death's Head   Maximum Offense (Death's Head #2)
  • The Twilight Zone Companion
I'm an accidental science fiction author.
A few years back, broke, desperate and living with my wife and three kids at my in-laws, I decided to get together with my brother, Eytan and write a book. Mind you I had no idea how to go about this but I did know that Eytan had some great ideas and little tenacity and I had a lot of tenacity and a gift for knowing how to turn great ideas into a marketabl
More about Dani Kollin...

Unincorporated Man (4 books)
  • The Unincorporated Man
  • The Unincorporated Woman
  • The Unincorporated Future (Unincorporated Man, #4)
The Unincorporated Man The Unincorporated Woman The Unincorporated Future (Unincorporated Man, #4) Day by Day Unincorporated War, The

“Not by one's word but by one's actions can you really get to know a man.” 5 likes
“If we don't hold true to our beliefs--especially now when it's most difficult--then why bother having these beliefs and why ask our brave citizens to die for them?” 1 likes