Start by marking “Herland and the Yellow Wallpaper” as Want to Read:
Herland and the Yellow Wallpaper

Herland and the Yellow Wallpaper

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Large Format for easy reading. Two of Gilman's best works: a fascinating novel depicting a feminist utopia, and a short horror story based on Gilman's own bout with mental illness and misguided medical treatment.
Published October 17th 2005 by Dodo Press (first published October 9th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Herland and the Yellow Wallpaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herland and the Yellow Wallpaper

E
Sep 10, 2015 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read The Yellow Wallpaper before. There is something very important and also very disturbing about it, and it is a great read for anyone, I think.

As for Herland, I am glad I finally read it. There is many topics to discuss about it, but for me I think is the most poignant the discussion about religion and the Judeo-Christian concept of God, an old one, redundant in our culture nowadays. Perkins Gilman pointed this out hundred years ago. Yet we still have people who find "the laws of God"
Bellish
A utopian fantasy from 1915 about three men finding themselves in an undiscovered country populated only by women. It's the kind of thing I would call a missed opportunity, except that it does exactly what the author wants it to. Rather, as Lindy West says in her introduction to this volume, it would be great to see what someone did with this premise in 2015: hopefully Herland would be a little more imperfect, as the lack of war, disease and even negative thoughts stretched disbelief even furthe ...more
Lexi
Oct 29, 2010 Lexi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
oh my goodness. Read this on a plane to England. Talk about dystopic utopias!
S. Naomi Scott
[Disclaimer: This review is just for Herland. I've chosen not to review The Yellow Wallpaper at this time.]

I should love this book, I really should. If everything I've heard or read about how important and groundbreaking Herland is can be believed then this should have immediately become one of the most valued books I've read in a long time. Unfortuantely, for me the experience simply didn't match up to the hype that had somehow built up around the book itself.

That isn't to say that this is a ba
Brett
Jul 01, 2013 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, feminism
I read the Yellow Wallpaper for a college class and wanted to come back and read some more Gilman, who seems to have been unjustly forgotten, given her role as an early, energetic feminist.

Yellow Wallpaper is a very strong, well-written and affecting story. Given that more than 100 years have passed since its writing, it still has a remarkable power to raise some goosebumps. It also accomplishes that rare feat of being both plainly "about" a social issue while also delivering compelling characte
Tammy
Mar 21, 2015 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Purchased to follow along with Craftlit.com podcast.

It's an interesting story, with a unique viewpoint.

It is categorized by some as Feminist Literature, I think because the author was in the middle of the Suffragist movement and also, it's a Utopian Society of ONLY Women. I think it's not really, though. It was very nearly Science Fiction, also an Adventure.

If you read it, you'll see what I mean. I'm looking forward to reading The Yellow Wallpaper, which was part of the same download.

***SPOILE
Harriet
Jul 20, 2015 Harriet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Feminists, people wanting to understand women, revolutionalists
I had no idea this book ever existed but now I am glad I do.
It is amazing. I have never read anything like it before and I don't think I ever will again.
It is unbelievable that this novel was written 100 years ago because it is just as relevant today.
Women may have come far in man's world but we have far to go until we are as comfortable as the women in Herland.
Please read it.
Alison Clague
I really wanted to like this book, because the premise and the author sounded so interesting.

It's an imagining of a female utopia; an isolated society where women have lived without men for two thousand years. Three American men set out to discover Herland, and this short novel takes the form of the account of their experiences.

Ultimately, I found the book slightly disappointing. The account form means there is little narrative drive, although the ideas about how an all female society might be
Chris Passingham
I reckon this book should be regarded as a historical document about the authors wish fulfilling views of the perfection of an all female society rather than a serious work.
Holly Iles
One of the best ideas ever!
R.a.
Jun 25, 2009 R.a. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting utopic / dystopic of a country w/ no men. Three adventurous, albeit clumsy, young men land their plane and find themselves sometimes guests, sometimes prisoners, sometimes wanting.

Neat. And, the male stereotypes / archetypes reflect a more admirable outline than those of today.
Ute
Ute marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Gill
Gill is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
Belinda Ramsay
Belinda Ramsay marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Luke Schwiebert
Luke Schwiebert marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
laura morican
laura morican rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Howard Lim,
Howard Lim, marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Scott
Scott is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2016
Mahmuda Yasmin
Mahmuda Yasmin marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Sydney James
Sydney James marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Kristi Wimbish
Kristi Wimbish marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Kiran
Kiran rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Mari K
Mari K rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Paattypie
Paattypie rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a prominent American sociologist, novelist, writer of short stories, poetry, and non fiction, and a lecturer for social reform. She was a utopian feminist during a time when her accomplishments were exceptional for women, and she served as a role model for future generations of feminists because of her unorthodox concepts and lifestyle. Her best remembered work today i ...more
More about Charlotte Perkins Gilman...