Start by marking “Chop Wood, Carry Water” as Want to Read:
Chop Wood, Carry Water

Chop Wood, Carry Water

Every day of your life can be a spiritual adventure!

Make all the ordinary experiences of your life a part of your path to enlightenment. Whether balancing a checkbook, working in an office or factory, raising a family-- Chop Wood, Carry Water shows you how to integrate the events of modern living into a quest for spiritual fulfillment.

Based on the classic, inspirational be
Audio, 0 pages
Published October 15th 1988 by Macmillan Audio (first published December 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Chop Wood, Carry Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chop Wood, Carry Water

Anna
Jul 26, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If I had my life to live over, I'd like to make more mistakes next time. I'd like to relax. I would be sillier. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream. I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies."
-Nadine Stair
Carol
Apr 10, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book to treasure. I have go back to it many times. Basically it tells of how we can find spiritualy in the common everyday chores like washing dishes, sweeping floors. It combines the teachings of Lao Tse, Buddha,Christianity and Confucius. It is a book to pull done from the shelf when everything seems to be going too fast, be too troubling and too stressful. It helps people deal with all of that and inspires a certain sereness.
Paul
Sep 13, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first books that really grabbed my interest when, years ago, I started to think outside the box of my traditional religious upbringing and indoctrination. I continually go back to reading it as it can be read just as effectively by jumping all around and reading whatever pleases you. There are many excellent reviews on Amazon so I won’t take the time to repeat what has already been written in review. Suffice to say, this book has and continues to influence my world and religi ...more
Robert
Apr 25, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was copyrighted, ironically, in 1984 and is filled with a great deal of what was regarded as "new age" thinking at that time. It certainly stands in complete antithesis to "1984," the novel in theme and content. There are excellent references and chapter by chapter bibliographies, which represent only a small part of the other works cited in each chapter. The overall thrust of the book is to serve as a guide in various areas of our lives from work to play, physical well-being, spiritua ...more
Alexis
Mar 17, 2009 Alexis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I read this book years ago and felt the need for a re-read. It seems somewhat dated, but it did remind me of some other spiritual classics and Buddhist books that I want to read. I feel that I've been neglecting my Buddhist reading lately.
Lance
May 04, 2013 Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It is a compilation of teachings in various spiritual disciples, of the various aspects of human thought and experience. It is complete and a primer for further reading. I've used it as both. Very easy to read. Great stuff. A must for any bookshelf.
Linda
Feb 05, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stopped giving this book away to friends. Now I invite them over to share my book by reading it together and then talking about the Spiritual message behind each passage.
Michelle
Nov 28, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book seems dated because we've been saturated with its message for 30+ years. The concepts of the New Age movement are socially accepted and even mainstream-- it's become a bit more sophisticated and its language is part of our daily lives now. But the message is good and as I look at our disintegrating, chaotic society it feels to me like I need it even more than I did 30 years ago. I keep this book nearby and read a page or two when I need to unwind and center myself. Though it's ...more
Lane Anderson
Jan 31, 2016 Lane Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book offers many great thoughts on a wide range of topics. While it doesn't seek to provide exhaustive depth on any one subject, it's a great nudge in the right direction in all areas of life.

Work, family, money, sex, learning, technology – there was something I loved in each chapter. This is recommended reading no matter where you are on your yatra (journey). The "Recommended Reading" section at the end of each segment will furnish you with enough great reading material for years!
Marshall
A basic and general overview of liberal spirituality, mainly Christianity, Buddhism, and New Age, covering such everyday life topics as intimate relationships, sex, family, work, money, play, health, technology, environmentalism, and activism. It was kind of like a Spirituality For Dummies. I got nothing new from this book, but it was kind of interesting when it wasn't too woo-woo New Age or pseudo-science.
Bill Currie
Apr 26, 2014 Bill Currie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, spiritual
A page or so a day of spiritual and psychological thoughts or comments early in the morning provides a wonderful opening for the beginning of the day. Many people collaborated in providing a book of ancient wisdom for a contemporary life.
Tiffany Davidson
Jul 26, 2011 Tiffany Davidson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a notion once to write a book about applied Zen in everyday life. Then I found this book and realized it had already been done ;) Lovely read. I especially like what the authors have to say about relationships.
Priscilla
Jan 31, 2008 Priscilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book for anyone single or in a relationship. It is a beautifully written book.
One of my favorites!
Chris
Mar 25, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good flaky overview of the spiritual and good to remind me about important perspectives on daily living.
Karen
Aug 15, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book a long time ago- picked it up and started to re read some parts-- nice to reflect on the gifts and fulfillment of each day.
Larry
Nov 10, 2007 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago and just looked at it briefly to make this entry. I really MUST read it again. I would recommend it to you too.
Sparkie Allison
Aug 21, 2013 Sparkie Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it when it was first published, loved it a second time. It's a nice spiritual guide that I keep with my camping gear and enjoy when out in the quiet of a forest walk or campsite.
George

Have to pull this book out again, need to push the basics, this book probably saved my life in the 80's. It's one of he few books I have kept. It's even a paper back.
Ravi Narayanan
Ravi Narayanan rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Lucas Lowe
Lucas Lowe rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Brenda Frechette
Brenda Frechette rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2014
Todd Settimo
Todd Settimo rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2010
Audrey Coleman
Audrey Coleman rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2010
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Jennie Floyd
Jennie Floyd rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Mrs. Danvers
Mrs. Danvers rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Carlee Myers
Carlee Myers rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Penny
Penny rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
  • A Year to Live: How to Live This Year as If It Were Your Last
  • Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women (Hazelden Meditations)
  • The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life
  • Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • Against the Stream: A Buddhist Manual for Spiritual Revolutionaries
  • Transform Your Life: A Blissful Journey
  • The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
  • Liberating the Gospels: Reading the Bible with Jewish Eyes
  • Bodhisattva of Compassion: The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery