Start by marking “Chop Wood, Carry Water” as Want to Read:
Chop Wood, Carry Water

Chop Wood, Carry Water

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  441 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Every day of your life can be a spiritual adventure!

Make all the ordinary experiences of your life a part of your path to enlightenment. Whether balancing a checkbook, working in an office or factory, raising a family-- Chop Wood, Carry Water shows you how to integrate the events of modern living into a quest for spiritual fulfillment.

Based on the classic, inspirational be
Audio, 0 pages
Published October 15th 1988 by Macmillan Audio (first published December 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Chop Wood, Carry Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chop Wood, Carry Water

Anna
"If I had my life to live over, I'd like to make more mistakes next time. I'd like to relax. I would be sillier. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream. I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies."
-Nadine Stair
Carol
This is a book to treasure. I have go back to it many times. Basically it tells of how we can find spiritualy in the common everyday chores like washing dishes, sweeping floors. It combines the teachings of Lao Tse, Buddha,Christianity and Confucius. It is a book to pull done from the shelf when everything seems to be going too fast, be too troubling and too stressful. It helps people deal with all of that and inspires a certain sereness.
Paul
This was one of the first books that really grabbed my interest when, years ago, I started to think outside the box of my traditional religious upbringing and indoctrination. I continually go back to reading it as it can be read just as effectively by jumping all around and reading whatever pleases you. There are many excellent reviews on Amazon so I won’t take the time to repeat what has already been written in review. Suffice to say, this book has and continues to influence my world and religi ...more
Robert
This book was copyrighted, ironically, in 1984 and is filled with a great deal of what was regarded as "new age" thinking at that time. It certainly stands in complete antithesis to "1984," the novel in theme and content. There are excellent references and chapter by chapter bibliographies, which represent only a small part of the other works cited in each chapter. The overall thrust of the book is to serve as a guide in various areas of our lives from work to play, physical well-being, spiritua ...more
Alexis
I read this book years ago and felt the need for a re-read. It seems somewhat dated, but it did remind me of some other spiritual classics and Buddhist books that I want to read. I feel that I've been neglecting my Buddhist reading lately.
Linda
I stopped giving this book away to friends. Now I invite them over to share my book by reading it together and then talking about the Spiritual message behind each passage.
David Corbet
Although slightly dated, the material in here is timeless.
Keishua
dated in some minor ways but a good resource.
Marshall
A basic and general overview of liberal spirituality, mainly Christianity, Buddhism, and New Age, covering such everyday life topics as intimate relationships, sex, family, work, money, play, health, technology, environmentalism, and activism. It was kind of like a Spirituality For Dummies. I got nothing new from this book, but it was kind of interesting when it wasn't too woo-woo New Age or pseudo-science.
Lance
I love this book. It is a compilation of teachings in various spiritual disciples, of the various aspects of human thought and experience. It is complete and a primer for further reading. I've used it as both. Very easy to read. Great stuff. A must for any bookshelf.
Bill Currie
A page or so a day of spiritual and psychological thoughts or comments early in the morning provides a wonderful opening for the beginning of the day. Many people collaborated in providing a book of ancient wisdom for a contemporary life.
Tiffany Davidson
I had a notion once to write a book about applied Zen in everyday life. Then I found this book and realized it had already been done ;) Lovely read. I especially like what the authors have to say about relationships.
Sparkie Allison
Read it when it was first published, loved it a second time. It's a nice spiritual guide that I keep with my camping gear and enjoy when out in the quiet of a forest walk or campsite.
George

Have to pull this book out again, need to push the basics, this book probably saved my life in the 80's. It's one of he few books I have kept. It's even a paper back.
Larry
I read this many years ago and just looked at it briefly to make this entry. I really MUST read it again. I would recommend it to you too.
Karen
Read this book a long time ago- picked it up and started to re read some parts-- nice to reflect on the gifts and fulfillment of each day.
Priscilla
A beautiful book for anyone single or in a relationship. It is a beautifully written book.
One of my favorites!
Chris
A good flaky overview of the spiritual and good to remind me about important perspectives on daily living.
Lisa Hannahs lmt
This book always reminds me to be grateful for each and every moment no matter how small the task.
Girish
Melissa
Definitely try to practice the philosophy...
Gini
Take care of the basics - or not.
Elizabeth
A handbook for living.
Barbc
Sep 04, 2013 Barbc marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
C. L.
C. L. marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life
  • Transform Your Life: A Blissful Journey
  • Kissing The Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Cloud-hidden, Whereabouts Unknown
  • Liberating the Gospels: Reading the Bible with Jewish Eyes
  • Against the Stream: A Buddhist Manual for Spiritual Revolutionaries
  • The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self
  • After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path
How the Swans Came to the Lake Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters The Awakened Warrior The Code of the Warrior: In History, Myth, and Everyday Life Loka 2: A Journal from Naropa Institute