Start by marking “Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)

Duck! (Avian Shifters #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  4,382 Ratings  ·  477 Reviews
Please note - this listing is for the first edition of the book. It is no longer available. A second edition was released August 2015

Raised among humans, Ori Jones only discovered he was an avian shifter six months ago. Unable to complete a full shift until he reaches his avian maturity,
Published August 4th 2010 by Resplendence Publishing

Captive Prince by C.S. PacatDuck! by Kim DareBloodraven by P.L. NunnCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatConcubine by Jill Knowles
Best Gay Slaves
240 books — 908 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
942 books — 1,297 voters

More lists with this book...

Monique ~ Sinfully
Aug 14, 2012 Monique ~ Sinfully rated it really liked it
Captivating retelling of the Fairy Tale Story of "the Ugly Duckling" charmingly incorporating a Dom and Sub TPE Relationship! WOW!..loved it...

Philip-Damon-Baker-Homotography-18

After my more recent reads, this book by Kim Dare was a breath of fresh air ~ How? you might ask is a TPE BDSM novel a breath of fresh air?.... well, the relationship between our two MC's Ori and Raynard, was so sweet in it's rendition, full of deep awareness and tender love, told from both POV's. This was not crude, degrading or humiliating in anyway, t
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Kim Dare + M/M + BDSM + shape-shifters + finally a longer book! =>

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Loved this one! And finally a good and LONG book by Kim Dare
Photobucket

The story starts with Ori, a young, not fully formed shifter, being laughed at and treated horribly at the place he works. There he meets Raynard, a hawk shifter who takes him under his wing Photobucket

Raynard is a natural dominant, both hawk and human, and he can't help but feel the need to protect Ori, and at the same time want to have him as his submissive.

Ori was raised
Ingela
5 Stars - so beautiful, so tender, so enchanting wonderful to read - the Ugly Duckling in its finest form

Some days ago: I cannot resist the temptation to start reading this tempting DUCK! novel (..as I impulse bought yesterday). I have seen this novel highly ranked on favorite lists but the topic feels slightly odd and strange. A duck??

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Quack!! - What an excellent decision. This Duck! novel had everything I love in a great romance; Tenderness, a new opportunity, grand love, empat
Sheziss
This was the first time in a long time when I felt warmth in the belly. Like, for real.

This is a fairytale but not because it’s flowers and hearts and pink everywhere, but because it’s magical. As simple as that.

The writing grabs you and doens’t let go but it’s not only that, it’s not that it’s a page turner, although it is. It’s not that it’s BDSM, although it is. It’s not that it’s PNR, although it is.

It’s the atmosphere that surrounds it all. The feeling you are falling forever and diving int
Mona
Dec 07, 2013 Mona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, fucking-awesome
**5 Intense, Sweet and Captivating stars**

description

"Never doubt this is exactly where you belong."

A story about an ugly ducking and a hawk, who sees beyond appearance and rank, to the beautiful and gentle soul that lays underneath.
description

I didn't think I could ever say I would love a BDSM read...they're just not for me, but I can say with all my heart, that I LOVED this book!
description

Ori, a sweet, soft spoken and miss judged shifter, has seen hardships in life at the hands of others, who see him below them. Unsure o
Remington
Dec 30, 2010 Remington rated it did not like it
*Spoiler alert*

I've read quite a bit of BDSM, and I'm even a pretty big fan of it. But this novel just didn't sit well with me.

Don't get me wrong, the premise was superb. An ugly duckling turns out to be a swan? It's a great opportunity to utilize creative measure coupled with an old fairytale theme. Unfortunately, the execution fell short.

Here are the things that irritated me:

1)Where was Ori's personality? Maybe I got lost between the numerous editing mistakes (of course this is at the fault
Damon Suede
Feb 18, 2011 Damon Suede rated it it was amazing
I just reread this as part of the "Group book" thing and again found this book totally enchanting. I wish Kim Dare was willing to write more novel-length fiction because this book strikes so many interesting and sexy notes. I enjoy Kim Dare's short fiction, but I often feel like she doesn't have/take the room to give more than sketchy characterizations. Duck! gave her a chance to *ahem* spread her narrative wings.

For me what is most interesting is that she takes the original fairytale, which is
Deja Dei
Oct 05, 2011 Deja Dei rated it it was ok
I'm a little nervous to review this because so many people to seem to like so much. I think many people will enjoy it, depending on what they expect going in. This is just my personal opinion, and I know a lot of people disagree. It is well written, but here's what didn't work for me:

There's no characterization. Ori is the sub, he wants to please his master, but he has no personality or motivations beyond that. His entire characterization is he's a submissive. Raynard is the same: he's the domin
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Jan 09, 2013 Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion by: Dre
I could think of nothing above and beyond what I previously said about this book, so the unicorns got together to squeal about Ori. It's possible only dogs and sea creatures could hear the squealing. Luckily we had chatzy!

Read our collective squealing over a sweet lil fledgling HERE

Sometimes a Swan is just a Big, White Duck!

Duck! is about a hierarchical society of avian shifters. Ducks are near the bottom, typically servants. Ori has no real family so he has no idea what he'll shift into when
SheReadsALot
You know stories that you can feel in your gut? Like when the emotions are running high, you're right there? And you really can't find a single thing wrong with said story? You're just still reliving some great scenes between the main characters even after finishing.

Well that's me and Duck!.

Ori? Loved!

Reynard? Loved!

The subtle nuances and the emotions said without saying a frigging thing? Loved!

The BDSM mixing into this modern fairy tale? Loved!

I need to add more work from this author in my lif
Bookwatcher
Sep 07, 2010 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing
Avian Shifters!!! A duck as a main character!

Yeah... the word "Duck" can make you think about Donald Duck... but hum... no...

The main Duck character, Ori, is a low class shifter in a world where avians like Hawk and Eagle are the top... His behave is what his specie must do, serve another avians. Luck Duck!!!!!!!! because after few pages you will read about Ori submitting, body and soul, to a hawk... a veeeeeeeeeeeeery sexy Hawk.
There are also a lot of mystery in this book and I'm saying "Duck
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

I'm not sure what to think about my first full length Kim Dare book. On one hand, I think she did a good job with the psyche of someone who craves and requires a full time D/S relationship. This book was a hard core BDSM book but not in the way you might think. It isn't that there is a lot of whipping or chaining or anything, but it is about a master/slave type of living situation where the submissive has little say in his day to day activities. This type of relationship doesn't pus
Shelley
3.5 Stars

“A modern day M/M, BDSM retelling of The Ugly Ducking Fairy Tale using avian shifters.”

Firstly I’d like to say that the shifter/man on the cover has the loveliest bum I have ever seen in my life! Now, I love fantasy/shifters, I love BDSM and of course I love an original quirky idea like …bird shifters? Oh boy, am I sold, sold and …SOLD!

What a fascinating start, observing the young Duck Ori’s cruel life in the Nest of bird shifters. You see, Avian hierarchy determines that he is the lowe
Chelsea
Re-read - February 2016- I think I enjoyed this book even more the second time around! I just adore Ori's natural submissiveness.

Review:

I knew I'd love this book and I absolutely did!!!!! I loved Ori's sweet, natural, submissive nature. Like I said in my updates, there was nothing complicated about him, he wanted to submit and was happy to do it. I liked that despite what happened throughout the book this stayed the same.

Actually thinking about it the characters were fairly basic 'good dom' a
Vilda
Rating: 2,5 stars

"Closure apparently felt like someone was driving a stake into his chest and twisting it around, not really killing him, just making Ori wish it would."

My feelings for Duck! is a bit mixed. I really enjoyed the beginning of the story when Ori and Raynard meet, as well as the end when Ori's true form is revealed (hello heartache!). I also liked the characters, especially together. However, I have to admit that I was quite bored in the middle. I think I was expecting more shifte
Em
Jul 23, 2012 Em rated it it was amazing
I didn't know birds could be so damn sexy!
Daisiemae
Duck! by Kim Dare is a sweet and sexy story that is a wonderfully written spin-off of the classic fairy tale, The ugly duckling. Not only is this book a well balance of having a strong plot and well written characters; I was surprised by the intensity and the amazing love that the two heroes shared together. This is a book that lived with me long after I finished it. I absolutely loved it, and I highly recommend it.

Ori Jones feels like the rug has been pulled out from under him. Ori recently fou
Macky
4.5 STARS!

It's not often you see the words "BDSM" and "sweet" together but that's exactly what this lovely bird shifter story was! Not in a saccharine sense because the D/s dynamic between the two MC's is too intense and all consuming to be classed as sugar kink (this is Kim Dare we’re talking about!) but sweet because Ori's character throughout the tale is just so precious. This little duck is an absolute darling!

Naturally submissive, his passive accepting nature in the face of the abuse endu
Heather C
Feb 25, 2011 Heather C rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved it! It took me so long to start this book because I knew it was Dom/sub, which usually freaks me out because I don't understand it. But Ori and Raynard's relationship worked for me somehow. Ori was so pure and beautiful; I cried for him!! The whole story was focused on Raynard (Hawk) being Master over Ori's submission and how their relationship fit into the whole Avian hierarchy.

I loved the characters, the story, and the setting. I loved how the POVs shifted with the chapte
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Oct 06, 2014 R * A Reader Obsessed * rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, shifters
4.5 Stars

Typically, BDSM is not my thing. Occasionally I enjoy a little slap and tickle but I don't find pain and spanking and being tied up all that alluring and I often roll my eyes at the dom/sub dynamics because I just can't relate. So I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. This book is about avian shifters and their world has a pretty brutal, clear cut, caste system. What kind of bird you are designates your station in life, leaving very little room to doubt where one is rank
Vivian
Aug 22, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica-fantasy

Excellent read with a heavy dose of emotion on both sides of the m-m D/s relationship. This is one of the best fairytale adaptations or appropriations I've ever read. In a short novel length Dare successfully addresses not only the relationship between the two protagonists, but sociological class issues as well. There is a sensitivity to the handling of the material that is deft and unobtrusive to storytelling.

That said, I had one small problem and it revolved around the protagonists' n
Ann
I had wanted to read this one forever. I know how much it is loved and have no excuse for not having read it before now. I think it’s probably because I’m really not the hugest of the shifter fans though. I do like them once in a while, but they usually aren’t my go to. That being said, I really didn’t pay enough attention to the blurb. It states very clearly that this is a fairy tale and it is and I love fairy tales! Sure, these guys are shifters, but it’s not the typical shifter story. This is ...more
Lily

The classic Ugly Duckling tale has been given an interesting twist in this offering from prolific author Kim Dare. Ori is a young man who only recently learned he's an avian shifter. Although it still hasn't been determined what kind of avian species he truly is his first half shift indicated he'll probably be a Duck and therefore low on the pecking order. He lives and works in an avian club or "nest" and spends his days washing dishes and being picked on. All that changes when Raynard,
Gina
Nov 22, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Ingela
This story was all kinds of AWESOME!! TOTALLY AWESOME DUDE!!

I seem to be a roll of OMG’s and TOTALLY AWESOME books. What a lucky reader I am at the moment! So here I found another book to help continue my winning reads streak!

The blurb on this pretty much lets you know what is going on. And while it has a lot of aspects i love in a book it got buried in my TBR shelf. Thanks to a few GR friends i finally brushed off the dust on this and gave it a shot. Now I have to admit I love Shifter books, bu
Serena Yates
May 12, 2010 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most amazing stories I have read in a long time. It takes the well-known tale of the Ugly Duckling and not only conveys its original meaning in a "modern day" setting, but adds another layer of interpretation in a domination/submission context.

Where do I even start? The world-building is excellent, with an avian shifter culture that is fresh, believable and utterly fascinating. The plot, even though well known, is put into a new perspective with a fascinating twist at the end
Alvin
Feb 02, 2014 Alvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifter
A BEAUTIFUL D/S/SHIFTER STORY.
This is so beautiful. I loved it!

This is a story of a perfect D/S relationship. I loved Ori & Reynard. In simple terms, Ori was the perfect sub and Reynard was the perfect dom. Them together were quite hot. But it's their tenderness and devotion to each other that made me liked them.

During their (view spoiler), I've cried so much. I ached for this couple. (view spoiler)

Some criticisms t
JenMcJ
May 12, 2010 JenMcJ rated it it was amazing
YAY! A perfect new Kim Dare book. Not only was the trademark relationship building and D/s subject matter back on track it was also utterly engrossing! The whip cream and cherry on top: The book was LONG too!

A new spin on the Ugly Duckling fairy tale in a parnormal yet contemporary setting. Ori and Raynard are likeable, relatable and completely captivating. Avian shifters was a unique concept. The world she built was fully fleshed out as well as the characterization of both main characters.

Way
Rachel Haimowitz
Nov 09, 2010 Rachel Haimowitz rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy, m-m, bdsm, shifters
Duck! is, hands down, one of the sweetest and most insightful explorations of 24/7 total power exchange that I have ever read. It's also one of the most highly recommended books I've ever read, and though I didn't quite understand why at the beginning, it was perfectly clear by the end.

There are a lot of amazing things about this book. First and foremost is the way the TPE relationship is handled--how it begins, how it develops, how it ends, and most especially the thought processes of both the
Isa K.
Apr 23, 2012 Isa K. rated it really liked it

Let's be clear about one thing: swans are bad ass mother fuckers.

No really. Google swan vs dog and notice that in every case the swan WINS. Three dogs, one swan? NO FUCKING CONTEST. Swans -vs- pitbulls? DONE. Swans are so bad ass they will come to your house and try to beat up your cats. The honey badger takes one look at the swan and says "Fuck, no way. I am out of here."

So I had some trouble with the idea that a swan's nature is good and pure and loving to all creatures, a concept fundamenta
Gwengwel
I had to really thing at what I want to write and how, because this story's not easy for me to comment.

My first reaction was WTF? And to burn the book.
Since it's a ebook I rethink this idea, retry the book for end up just passed the too numerous sex scene and just take my time before commenting.

I'm disappointed of Kim Dare. It's the second book in row that this happen (see Mistletoe and Submission if you are desperate to read about a bad BDSM relation).

You do not have one single, indication, ex
The Challenge Fac...: Zuzana & Ezinwanyi - Duck! 41 37 Apr 07, 2014 01:16AM
  • Bound and Determined
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Domination (Deviations, #2)
  • Concubine
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Uneven
  • I, Omega
  • Lee's Story (The Slave Breakers, #3)
  • Forever (From Thirty Days to Forever, #2)
  • Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)
  • Truth in the Dark
  • With Caution (With or Without, #2)
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Be My Boy
  • Bloodraven
Kim is a thirty-three year old bisexual submissive from Wales (UK). First published in 2008, she has since released almost 100 BDSM erotic romance titles ranging from short stories to full length novels. Having worked with a host of fantastic e-publishers, she has just moved into self publishing.

While she has occasionally ventured towards other pairings, Kim's first love is still, and probably alw
More about Kim Dare...

Avian Shifters (3 books)
  • Celebrate (Avian Shifters, #1.5)
  • Magpie (Avian Shifters, #2)

“The most valuable possession my master owns is his submissive. I will take great care that no harm comes to my master's submissive whenever he is not there to watch over me himself.” 27 likes
“If he was in danger of anything at all, it was spontaneous submissive combustion due to his master’s teasing.” 3 likes