Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)

Duck! (Avian Shifters #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  2,832 ratings  ·  348 reviews
This book is currently out of print and not available for purchase. A new edition will be released soon.

Raised among humans, Ori Jones only discovered he was an avian shifter six months ago. Unable to complete a full shift until he reaches his avian maturity, he still can’t be sure of his...more
Published August 4th 2010 by Resplendence Publishing

Duck! by Kim DareCaptive Prince by S.U. PacatBloodraven by P.L. NunnConcubine by Jill KnowlesGaven by J.C. Owens
Best Gay Slaves
1st out of 179 books — 628 voters
With Caution by J.L. LangleyChange of Heart by Mary CalmesWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
4th out of 620 books — 810 voters

More lists with this book...

Blacky *Romance Addict*

Kim Dare + M/M + BDSM + shape-shifters + finally a longer book! =>

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Loved this one! And finally a good and LONG book by Kim Dare
Photobucket

The story starts with Ori, a young, not fully formed shifter, being laughed at and treated horribly at the place he works. There he meets Raynard, a hawk shifter who takes him under his wing Photobucket

Raynard is a natural dominant, both hawk and human, and he can't help but feel the need to protect Ori, and at the same time want to have him as his submissive.

Ori was raised...more
Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Captivating retelling of the Fairy Tale Story of "the Ugly Duckling" charmingly incorporating a Dom and Sub TPE Relationship! WOW!..loved it...

Philip-Damon-Baker-Homotography-18

After my more recent reads, this book by Kim Dare was a breath of fresh air ~ How? you might ask is a TPE BDSM novel a breath of fresh air?.... well, the relationship between our two MC's Ori and Raynard, was so sweet in it's rendition, full of deep awareness and tender love, told from both POV's. This was not crude, degrading or humiliating in anyway, t...more
Ingela
5 Stars - so beautiful, so tender, so enchanting wonderful to read - the Ugly Duckling in its finest form

Some days ago: I cannot resist the temptation to start reading this tempting DUCK! novel (..as I impulse bought yesterday). I have seen this novel highly ranked on favorite lists but the topic feels slightly odd and strange. A duck??

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Quack!! - What an excellent decision. This Duck! novel had everything I love in a great romance; Tenderness, a new opportunity, grand love, empat...more
Remington
I've read quite a bit of BDSM, and I'm even a pretty big fan of it. But this novel just didn't sit well with me.

Don't get me wrong, the premise was superb. An ugly duckling turns out to be a swan? It's a great opportunity to utilize creative measure coupled with an old fairytale theme. Unfortunately, the execution fell short.

Here are the things that irritated me:

1)Where was Ori's personality? Maybe I got lost between the numerous editing mistakes (of course this is at the fault of the publishe...more
Damon Suede
I just reread this as part of the "Group book" thing and again found this book totally enchanting. I wish Kim Dare was willing to write more novel-length fiction because this book strikes so many interesting and sexy notes. I enjoy Kim Dare's short fiction, but I often feel like she doesn't have/take the room to give more than sketchy characterizations. Duck! gave her a chance to *ahem* spread her narrative wings.

For me what is most interesting is that she takes the original fairytale, which is...more
Mona
**5 Intense, Sweet and Captivating stars**

description

"Never doubt this is exactly where you belong."

A story about an ugly ducking and a hawk, who sees beyond appearance and rank, to the beautiful and gentle soul that lays underneath.
description

I didn't think I could ever say I would love a BDSM read...they're just not for me, but I can say with all my heart, that I LOVED this book!
description

Ori, a sweet, soft spoken and miss judged shifter, has seen hardships in life at the hands of others, who see him below them. Unsure of...more
Bookwatcher
Avian Shifters!!! A duck as a main character!

Yeah... the word "Duck" can make you think about Donald Duck... but hum... no...

The main Duck character, Ori, is a low class shifter in a world where avians like Hawk and Eagle are the top... His behave is what his specie must do, serve another avians. Luck Duck!!!!!!!! because after few pages you will read about Ori submitting, body and soul, to a hawk... a veeeeeeeeeeeeery sexy Hawk.
There are also a lot of mystery in this book and I'm saying "Duck...more
Shelley
3.5 Stars

“A modern day M/M, BDSM retelling of The Ugly Ducking Fairy Tale using avian shifters.”

Firstly I’d like to say that the shifter/man on the cover has the loveliest bum I have ever seen in my life! Now, I love fantasy/shifters, I love BDSM and of course I love an original quirky idea like …bird shifters? Oh boy, am I sold, sold and …SOLD!

What a fascinating start, observing the young Duck Ori’s cruel life in the Nest of bird shifters. You see, Avian hierarchy determines that he is the lowe...more
Daisiemae
Duck! by Kim Dare is a sweet and sexy story that is a wonderfully written spin-off of the classic fairy tale, The ugly duckling. Not only is this book a well balance of having a strong plot and well written characters; I was surprised by the intensity and the amazing love that the two heroes shared together. This is a book that lived with me long after I finished it. I absolutely loved it, and I highly recommend it.

Ori Jones feels like the rug has been pulled out from under him. Ori recently fou...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

I'm not sure what to think about my first full length Kim Dare book. On one hand, I think she did a good job with the psyche of someone who craves and requires a full time D/S relationship. This book was a hard core BDSM book but not in the way you might think. It isn't that there is a lot of whipping or chaining or anything, but it is about a master/slave type of living situation where the submissive has little say in his day to day activities. This type of relationship doesn't pus...more
Deja Dei
I'm a little nervous to review this because so many people to seem to like so much. I think many people will enjoy it, depending on what they expect going in. This is just my personal opinion, and I know a lot of people disagree. It is well written, but here's what didn't work for me:

There's no characterization. Ori is the sub, he wants to please his master, but he has no personality or motivations beyond that. His entire characterization is he's a submissive. Raynard is the same: he's the domin...more
Heather C
I loved, loved, loved it! It took me so long to start this book because I knew it was Dom/sub, which usually freaks me out because I don't understand it. But Ori and Raynard's relationship worked for me somehow. Ori was so pure and beautiful; I cried for him!! The whole story was focused on Raynard (Hawk) being Master over Ori's submission and how their relationship fit into the whole Avian hierarchy.

I loved the characters, the story, and the setting. I loved how the POVs shifted with the chapte...more
Lily

The classic Ugly Duckling tale has been given an interesting twist in this offering from prolific author Kim Dare. Ori is a young man who only recently learned he's an avian shifter. Although it still hasn't been determined what kind of avian species he truly is his first half shift indicated he'll probably be a Duck and therefore low on the pecking order. He lives and works in an avian club or "nest" and spends his days washing dishes and being picked on. All that changes when Raynard,...more
Serena Yates
This is one of the most amazing stories I have read in a long time. It takes the well-known tale of the Ugly Duckling and not only conveys its original meaning in a "modern day" setting, but adds another layer of interpretation in a domination/submission context.

Where do I even start? The world-building is excellent, with an avian shifter culture that is fresh, believable and utterly fascinating. The plot, even though well known, is put into a new perspective with a fascinating twist at the end...more
Rachel Haimowitz
Duck! is, hands down, one of the sweetest and most insightful explorations of 24/7 total power exchange that I have ever read. It's also one of the most highly recommended books I've ever read, and though I didn't quite understand why at the beginning, it was perfectly clear by the end.

There are a lot of amazing things about this book. First and foremost is the way the TPE relationship is handled--how it begins, how it develops, how it ends, and most especially the thought processes of both the...more
SheReadsALot
You know stories that you can feel in your gut? Like when the emotions are running high, you're right there? And you really can't find a single thing wrong with said story? You're just still reliving some great scenes between the main characters even after finishing.

Well that's me and Duck!.

Ori? Loved!

Reynard? Loved!

The subtle nuances and the emotions said without saying a frigging thing? Loved!

The BDSM mixing into this modern fairy tale? Loved!

I need to add more work from this author in my lif...more
JenMcJ
YAY! A perfect new Kim Dare book. Not only was the trademark relationship building and D/s subject matter back on track it was also utterly engrossing! The whip cream and cherry on top: The book was LONG too!

A new spin on the Ugly Duckling fairy tale in a parnormal yet contemporary setting. Ori and Raynard are likeable, relatable and completely captivating. Avian shifters was a unique concept. The world she built was fully fleshed out as well as the characterization of both main characters.

Way...more
Em
I didn't know birds could be so damn sexy!
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
My life was almost on stand-by while I was reading this book, after the first couple of chapters I dropped everything else. It's perfect.

It's a retelling of the Ugly Duckling tale and it has the dreamy quality of a tale, you feel you're in a different world, a world where things are sometimes wrong, but they can be made right. Ori, the submissive duckling, and Raynard, the dominant hawk, are two unforgettable characters. I admired Raynard's honor and integrity, but Ori really got under my skin....more
Gwengwel
I had to really thing at what I want to write and how, because this story's not easy for me to comment.

My first reaction was WTF? And to burn the book.
Since it's a ebook I rethink this idea, retry the book for end up just passed the too numerous sex scene and just take my time before commenting.

I'm disappointed of Kim Dare. It's the second book in row that this happen (see Mistletoe and Submission if you are desperate to read about a bad BDSM relation).

You do not have one single, indication, ex...more
Isa K.

Let's be clear about one thing: swans are bad ass mother fuckers.

No really. Google swan vs dog and notice that in every case the swan WINS. Three dogs, one swan? NO FUCKING CONTEST. Swans -vs- pitbulls? DONE. Swans are so bad ass they will come to your house and try to beat up your cats. The honey badger takes one look at the swan and says "Fuck, no way. I am out of here."

So I had some trouble with the idea that a swan's nature is good and pure and loving to all creatures, a concept fundamental...more
Gina
Jan 31, 2014 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Ingela
This story was all kinds of AWESOME!! TOTALLY AWESOME DUDE!!

I seem to be a roll of OMG’s and TOTALLY AWESOME books. What a lucky reader I am at the moment! So here I found another book to help continue my winning reads streak!

The blurb on this pretty much lets you know what is going on. And while it has a lot of aspects i love in a book it got buried in my TBR shelf. Thanks to a few GR friends i finally brushed off the dust on this and gave it a shot. Now I have to admit I love Shifter books, bu...more
Gina
I must confess, one of the reasons why I'd been pulling off reading this book for so long was that 'Ori' means Duck in my home language, Korean. And I'd be very surprised if that was a merely a coincidence. Somehow I thought I couldn't have got into the story because of it.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it enormously!

What a sweet story!
What I love about:
1. I love the characters, how they interact with each other, the consistency of their personality.
2. There is no doubt that Kim Dare is a great sto...more
JenM
Simply stated...I loved this book! You can't help but fall in love with Ori.

Here we were reading along and it seemed like everything was going well and everything was falling into place and felt right. Then Ms Dare goes and throws a wrench in it and I was thrown off my axis. At that point I just wanted to sit there and cry the tears that Ori never did and suffer with him.

Then, just as you think things are never going to get better the sun comes out and all is right in your world again! This is...more
Diane
I love m/m romance shifter stories and this one may be my new favorite.

It is a very imaginative tale of an avian shifter society full of everything from hawks, eagles, ducks, pigeons and more. In this world, each character’s personality and social standing is directly related to their specie (the tattoo artist is a peacock!), but for one orphan who isn’t old enough to shift and doesn’t know which specie he is yet, life is very confusing until he meets a very fine feathered friend.

This book is w...more
Toni (U.A.C.)
Nice story. Enjoyed reading it very much. Would be interesting to read more of this story, but where are the females that birthed all of these male avian shifters and where do they fit in this world? It's not addressed in this book, doesn't take away from the story, but it would be good to know in my mind.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰

Sometimes a Swan is just a Big, White Duck!

Duck! is about a hierarchical society of avian shifters. Ducks are near the bottom, typically servants. Ori has no real family so he has no idea what he'll shift into when he comes of age. The leader of the nest said he would likely be "an ugly little duckling" thus he's been put to work in the kitchens where he's been hazed & abused repeatedly by many, many higher ranking shifters. Until Raynard comes to his...more
 Nic
Based on the title alone, or even the blurb, I would not have chosen to read this book but I am glad that I ignored my initial thoughts and paid more attention to the glowing reviews instead. I bought this book months and months ago and it has been sitting on the Kindle unread (as has the second book in the series Magpie). I kept seeing it cropping up all over the place so finally decided to read it.

This book appears on over a dozen Goodreads lists with a lot of votes in each category (placement...more
Natsroshan
I read this one not long ago and didn't write a review. So I came back because I think it deserve a little more. I'm at loss for great words so I'll just say this:

Kim Dare spoiled us with this one by the content and the length. I tried to read 3 other books immediatly after but couldn't get into them. Had to put them down after 2 chapters and keep them for later. (Only A.J. Llewellyn' Phantom Lover series brought me back on the road lol)
Kim does such an amazing job: her characters always have a...more
Vivian Archer

Excellent read with a heavy dose of emotion on both sides of the m-m D/s relationship. This is one of the best fairytale adaptations or appropriations I've ever read. In a short novel length Dare successfully addresses not only the relationship between the two protagonists, but sociological class issues as well. There is a sensitivity to the handling of the material that is deft and unobtrusive to storytelling.

That said, I had one small problem and it revolved around the protagonists' n...more
The Challenge Fac...: Zuzana & Ezinwanyi - Duck! 41 21 Apr 07, 2014 01:16AM
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Bound and Determined
  • Discipline (Deviations, #3)
  • Spoils of War (Spoils of War, #1)
  • Forever (From Thirty Days to Forever, #2)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Truth in the Dark
  • Concubine
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Under Contract
  • Uneven
  • By His Rules
  • A Strong Hand
  • A Russian Bear (Russian Bear, #1)
  • Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)
Kim is a thirty year old bisexual submissive from Wales (UK). First published in 2008, she has since released almost 100 BDSM erotic romance titles ranging from short stories to full length novels. Having worked with a host of fantastic e-publishers, she has just moved into self publishing.

While she has occasionally ventured towards other pairings, Kim's first love is still, and probably always wi...more
More about Kim Dare...
The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline, #1) With a Kiss Ryland's Sacrifice (Thrown to the Lions, #1) Ellery's Duty (Thrown to the Lions, #3) Magpie (Avian Shifters, #2)

“The most valuable possession my master owns is his submissive. I will take great care that no harm comes to my master's submissive whenever he is not there to watch over me himself.” 11 likes