Start by marking “Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1)

Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  3,419 Ratings  ·  345 Reviews
Jane Whitefield is a Native American guide who leads people out of the wilderness--not the tree-filled variety but the kind created by enemies who want you dead. She is in the one-woman business of helping the desperate disappear. Thanks to her membership in the Wolf Clan of the Seneca tribe, she can fool any pursuer, cover any trail, and then provide her clients with new ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published March 2nd 1996 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1995)

Jim
Listening to this was like eating at a good restaurant; the appetizer was OK, the main course fantastic, but a roach crawled onto the last bite of dessert. I didn't care for the description & almost didn't read this because I really hate the whole Indian mysticism thing, but there wasn't much of that. Unfortunately, it started & ended with some - the end being the worst. I've really liked every other book that Perry wrote, so I took a chance. It was a great story for the most part, but c ...more
Keri
Oct 29, 2010 Keri rated it it was amazing
Jane Whitefield is a kick-ass and take no names heroine. She is my new fav. Those that are Tony Hillerman fans might like Jane as well, but without the woo-woo. Jane helps people step off the grid...way off the grid. As never to be heard from again and she is very, very good at what she does. But when a smooth talking tall dark man comes into Jane's life even she can't seem to see the forest for the pair of dark eyes looking into hers.

So when he needs help to disappear she can't seem to break h
Lynn
Jun 10, 2016 Lynn rated it it was amazing
An excellent female protagonist is the focus of this first in a series by Thomas Perry. Jane Whitefield belongs to a network of guides who help people disappear when they are threatened by the very powerful or unscrupulous. It's a premise that can carry on for many interesting books I hope. This one was set around Lake Ontario and I loved following the action everywhere it led. The complex plotting and pursuit are definitely worthy of the author of The Butcher's Boy.
John Culuris
Oct 02, 2016 John Culuris rated it really liked it
I felt I had to give Thomas Perry another chance. At the same time I felt I had plenty of reason not to. Despite a glowing-but-carefully-worded introduction by Michael Connelly to Perry’s first book, The Butcher’s Boy (Random House, 2003), it remains the only novel--off the top of my head--that I’ve rated 2 Stars. In fact, I found the introduction much more interesting than anything that followed it. But I closed the review with: “. . . there is something here. I find myself wanting to read more ...more
Chris May
Mar 12, 2012 Chris May rated it it was ok
Jane Whitefield is a Native American woman who specializes in making people disappear, she is like a black market, 1 person witness protection crew. I picked up this book becase the series was recommended in the Seattle Times. The premise and protagonist are full of potential, but it is never realized in this book. Jane is interesting, but too solitary for any real character developemnt to take place, so the reader sympathetic to her, but always at arm's legnth. There are only two other "major" ...more
Ed
Jan 16, 2011 Ed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Thriller fans
This is my first Thomas Perry novel. It will not be my last.

I am not usually enamored of female protagonists in crime thriller fiction. I'm in love with Jane Whitfield, though. Half Seneca, she has chosen to be a tribal member and acts accordingly. She has the ability to imagine how her ancestors, who inhabited the upstate New York area she lives in, were able to live and prosper before the coming of the Europeans.

She makes a living by helping people vanish. A career, she stumbled into when she
Jodi
Jan 11, 2011 Jodi rated it it was ok
I really didn't like this book. I read it because my book club chose it and I had to force myself to finish. I found the plot totally opposite anything the main character, Jane, would have done. She totally trusted a guy and offered to help him ignoring all of the clues he gave about his true self. As aware as she was of her surroundings all the time I found this totally unbelievable.

Basically she is someone who helps people hide and gives them new identities, surely she must have thought at so
Jerry
May 29, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it
A friend recommended we try author Perry, so we glommed onto “Vanishing Act”, the first in his seven-book Jane Whitefield series. Whitefield is indeed an interesting leading lady – of Seneca Indian heritage, she lives in the same western New York state area from which Perry hails. Her “occupation” is like a one-woman Witness Protection Program – she helps people disappear through all manner of elaborate schemes and new identities.

In the first half of the tale, John Felker arrives on her doorstep
Geoff.
Oct 28, 2016 Geoff. rated it it was amazing
Somehow I missed reading the first two Jane Whitefield novels (Vanishing Act, Dance For The Dead). Vanishing Act sets the tone that is followed in the other Jane novels. Jane Whitefield is one of the most compelling characters in fiction. All of the Jane novels are highly recommended.
Teri Pre
Mar 08, 2017 Teri Pre rated it liked it
Shelves: march2017
A little too "woo woo" for my taste but I'm willing to read book 2 in the series.
Ann
Feb 06, 2017 Ann rated it it was amazing
excellent.
Melanie
Mar 18, 2017 Melanie rated it really liked it
Hard hitting Perry gives us a heroine to love. I love Perry's first person view of Jane Whitefield especially her Native American stories. This is the strength of this novel, he re-creates the forgotten world of the American Indians that once populated the US from the East Coast to the West Coast. Jane is their voice. Rightly so, she works to protect the vulnerable. But as with all Good Samaritan (a similar theme from another novel I read prior to this), you know what happens! The amazing thing ...more
Connie
Oct 20, 2012 Connie rated it it was amazing
VANISHING ACT by Thomas Perry is 321 pages in paperback format. This is the first book in the Jane Whitefield Series.

Brief Description:

James Adams
Jan 17, 2016 James Adams rated it liked it
This one is a little tough to rate, as the first third was good, if tradecraft-heavy, the middle was utterly predictable and frustrating, and then the finale is fantastic.
Thrillers focused on an unusual trade, here being disappearing people, can fall into the same info-dump traps as hard sf or epic fantasy, and Perry mostly sidesteps that issue, but there are a couple draggy sequences in the first act that mostly serve to show he's thorough in his research. Only a couple, though.
The real problem
Olivia R. Burton
May 15, 2009 Olivia R. Burton rated it liked it
This is quite solidly a 3-star book. It's got some good aspects and some bad, and neither are to an extreme. Overall, the book is interesting and the story is engaging; the dialogue never feels faked or forced and the character interactions are mostly believable and also don't feel forced. The story moves at a pace that's just short of fast enough and it has some good twists and turns. It hits a wall, however with the excessive amount of narrative.

I was not interested in all the backstory the au
Frank
Sep 26, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Jane Whitefield series. I read the 4th in the series, The Face-Changers a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Glad to get back to this series! Jane Whitefield is a Native-American guide who leads people to a new life when they deserve a second chance and are being sought by others. She knows how to cover her tracks and provide her clients with new identities to start a new life. In this one, she tries to obtain a new life for ex-cop, John Felker, who is wrongfully ...more
Mike Debaptiste
WHOA!! This is the first Jane Whitefield novel, and I sure can't wait to read the others by this award winning author. Jane is a young Native-American woman who helps people 'disappear'. She is the main character, but I still shelved this as 'male' action-adventure because it follows that format. Jane is hot! In this book she helps a tough studly dude disappear - great escape scenes in western New York along Lake Ontario and the Niagara Falls area, all the way out west to Washington State and Lo ...more
Rhonda
Feb 20, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was ok
i did not really care for this book. Another reviewer said that they found the main characters actions contrary to her character. I have to agree. When Jane chose to sleep wth John, I was surprised. It totally did not agree with her actions up to that point nor with the character she was supposed to be playing.

I also found the history lessons on the Native Americans out of sync with the rest of the book, like little subtexts. I am also not a fan of how the book was laid out - where you sorta st
Thetravelingb
Feb 06, 2017 Thetravelingb rated it really liked it
Well written! Interesting characters. Strong female protagonist. Ties in Native American history and content. Excellent plot. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Tracye Quinlan
Jun 17, 2014 Tracye Quinlan rated it it was ok
Excruciating to get through... I had the feeling the author really wanted to write a history of Native Americans of the NE but didn't think it would sell... There was TOO much nothingness in it... Just because the character is paddling in a canoe for days doesn't not mean reading about it should take the same amount of time... Every time I was ready to put it down it would get interesting enough to keep me going a bit further. I will chalk it up to "first book" syndrome and give book 2 a try, bu ...more
Bill
Feb 05, 2008 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This was a pretty good suspense novel with a very original premise.

Jane Whitefield is a Seneca Native who helps people in trouble disappear and start fresh lives with new identities. Recently I read a very good review about Dance For the Dead, the second in this series, so I figured I'd better read this one first. Even though I could pretty much see what was going to happen I still enjoyed it. Those of you who enjoy a good chase will love this one.
Tammy K.
Dec 18, 2010 Tammy K. rated it really liked it
I pushed this book up to a four rather then a three but its not a solid four. Tends to get slow in spots as the author does a lot of explaining of things that could have been left out. This is book one of an on-going series. I have read some of the other books of this series, one of which is far better then this one. If you are looking for 'a cat and mouse chase' book with likeable characters, clear good guys vs bad guys this is that kind of book and series.
Ruth
May 02, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, thriller
High adrenaline, high octane thriller with a strong female protagonist. The author leaves clues that makes the reader uncomfortable with the story and Jane's decisions but never enough to say "that's it!" Also full of Native American lore, culture and mystic.
Francis
Apr 08, 2015 Francis rated it really liked it
This is a tale of conflict between a young resourceful woman and an older, stronger more experienced man. If you are a woman I think you know how this turns out. I know because ...I can see you grinning.
Connie
Mar 17, 2013 Connie rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-thriller
Not my normal read but entertaining enough. My problem with the the smart, tough female lead is I didn't buy some of her actions or choices sure they made for an interesting plot but why would someone so careful and smart trust someone that I myself as the reader thought was a bad idea.
Luke
Mar 25, 2009 Luke rated it liked it
It was a little predictable, but overall a good book. I'm interested to see where the series goes, i think it does have alot of potential. The main character is very compelling if not a little naive.
Julie
Jun 05, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-as-ebook, 2015
Reminds me of Deliverance in all the best ways - I mean the nature/wilderness/survival/hunting people ways. Great setting. Characters I want to read more about.

Thanks to the libray patron that recommended this to me.
Julie Kellner
Oct 14, 2014 Julie Kellner rated it liked it
I've forgotten how much I enjoy reading the Jane Whitefield. Thoroughly recommended
Dawn Kunda
Nov 22, 2016 Dawn Kunda rated it it was amazing

I felt like reading a story including Native Americans. Thomas Perry was suggested to me, so I picked Vanishing Act, A Jane Whitefield Novel and loved it! The story was unique and a great read.
Jane Whitefield is a Native American guide except her guiding is underground, dangerous, and is aimed at helping a good person vanish from the evil closing in and wanting to kill them.
She just finished a case, worn out, lack of sleep for days, and food had been scarce, when she arrived home. Her residence
Michael Norwitz
Dec 30, 2016 Michael Norwitz rated it really liked it
The first novel in the Jane Whitfield series, featuring a Native American woman who functions as a one-woman witness protection program - finding and making new lives for people whose lives are in hopeless danger. The series is a bit long in the tooth by now, but Jane is a great character and Perry a masterfully suspenseful writer.
my favorite book series 3 6 Jun 16, 2016 03:13PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Vanishing Act 1 2 Aug 19, 2013 03:52PM
  • All Cry Chaos (Henri Poincaré Mystery, #1)
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #2)
  • Put A Lid On It
  • The Wrong Girl (Jane Ryland, #2)
  • Shooting at Midnight (Atticus Kodiak #4)
  • Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • Doing the Devil's Work (Maureen Coughlin, #3)
  • Hidden Moon (Inspector O, #2)
  • The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1)
  • The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1)
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)
  • Aftershock
  • Welcome, Chaos
  • Hell or High Water (Nola Céspedes, #1)
Thomas Perry was born in Tonawanda, New York in 1947. He received a B.A. from Cornell University in 1969 and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Rochester in 1974. He has worked as a park maintenance man, factory laborer, commercial fisherman, university administrator and teacher, and a writer and producer of prime time network television shows. He lives in Southern California with his wife ...more
More about Thomas Perry...

Jane Whitefield (8 books)
  • Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, #2)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield, #4)
  • Blood Money (Jane Whitefield, #5)
  • Runner (Jane Whitefield, #6)
  • Poison Flower (Jane Whitefield, #7)
  • A String of Beads (Jane Whitefield, #8)