Blank-133x176
Slick

Daniel Price

Slick

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  19 reviews
She teases and deceives. She writhes her way across the nation and beyond, seducing us all with her light and noise. Love her or hate her, you can’t escape her. She’s the American media–and nobody understands her better than Scott Singer.

A rising star in the world of public relations, Scott is a master at manipulating the news, especially when the news isn’t good for his c...more
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Slick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slick

Marty Beaudet
This humorous romp grabbed me before I was even done with the prologue. The witty, sardonic voice of the protagonist kept me laughing and wondering throughout his narration of a twisted tale of media manipulation. It was both believable and outrageous, and had all the trappings of a true-to-life exposé.

My only complaint is that at times it tried to be too true to life, not only juxtaposing the names of real celebrities and events among its fictional elements, but frequently going too far into th...more
Haya
I picked up this book at random at a Half Price Bookstore because the cover looked interesting and it seemed to have a decent rating on Goodreads. I honestly had zero expectations going in.

This book was a FANTASTIC read. It's not a peachy book, it's a bit dark and... different. I feel like people would either really love this book or not understand it all.

The plot keeps you fully engaged, but it's not too crazy to the point where you don't know what is going on. I honestly couldn't stop reading...more
Frenje
Liked the bits of random trivia about the whole PR business.
Fraemone
Aug 08, 2007 Fraemone rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
daniel price is a GOD!! i loved this from start to finish.
Erin
a friend of mine recommended this one to me. i opened it up and read the first few pages -- a pr agent's wild media stunt. within the first 2 pages i could see jeremy piven in the lead role of a movie based on this book... slick is the story of a 'slick' pr guy, who has the heart of gold.

price's style reminds me a bit of old noir mysteries. or maybe even david mamet. he uses tight, clipped phrasing, and scott, our pr guy, has a tough exterior bullets can't penetrate. i'll admit that the phrasing...more
Miles Palmer
It is very rare to find a book that is so readable and fun yet so intricate. Reading it is like opening a Chinese puzzle box with prizes inside. I can understand after reading this book and Price's other book, Flight of the Silvers, why there were several years in between. Writing a book like this and the Flight of the Silvers is a lot of work. In both cases here, the work is very well done and pays off for the reader like a well aged vintage wine.
Matt
I thought this novel was going to be full of the dirty tricks of an amoral publicist--which would have been fun to read--but it developed into a pretty well done human drama. The main protagonist is a bit of a cipher and not always 100% sympathetic, but the book kept me interested throughout.

One nice feature was the slice of time presented. The book took me back to the early 2000s quite well.
David
Read this after another book of his. Totally different genre, but awesome none the less. His writing is super compelling to me. Definitely enjoyed the story and how this went.
joshua toro
This is a great book. I have to say I picked up based on the fact its cover design smacked me in the face, but it was earnestly fun. The main character's trip is ridiculous if not funny. Especially enjoyed the explanation of PR companies hiring other PR companies. This was a generally fun story.
Rolli
It's not just a smart, witty and entertaining novel. It also has depth, is insightful; the characters all really come to life and it also has a great balance between storyline and characters.
This book really rocks! The plot is both complicated and very simple - just great.
Betsy
Politics...PR...the music industry...news media...love and lust...all of these are melded into a car chase style race for integrity in Daniel Price's book. For a work of fiction, Price fits quite a lot of (non-preachy) discourse into this book. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
FittenTrim
A really fun page-turner about a decent guy who's job is sleezy... but I think the general idea in the story is the same type of plot that explains the whole Dan Rather-Bush National Gaurd memo.
Marjan Wynia
Hilariois, whitty, must read when you work in the music industry or as a pr agent. I agree with Metro's review: " an intelligent piece of zeitgeist literature"
Samra Muslim
Never have I read such an interesting and well-written book about the world of spin (or media and PR as it is popularly known!!). Kudos to the author ... !
Katigie
Skillful, skillful, skillful character development, plot, and fascinating premise. Ambiguity explored
Frederick Bingham
A novel about a guy in public relations. I could not get interested and put it down after 30 pages.
Stefan
I have to read it again. And again. And again...
Anakin
Aug 03, 2007 Anakin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone going into marketing
The life a top marketing agent can be cold!
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Andy
Andy added it
Sep 05, 2014
Jen Morton
Jen Morton is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Ashley Deeter evans
Ashley Deeter evans marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Åsa
Åsa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
202807
I'm an L.A. author with two very different novels to my name. One's a comedy set in the world of public relations. The other's a sci-fi saga about superpowered people on an alternate Earth. I'm not entirely sure how that happened.

Readers can contact me directly through Goodreads mail. I'll gladly reply to any thoughtful message, though my response time may be slow. I'm scrambling to finish the seq...more
More about Daniel Price...
The Flight of the Silvers (Silvers, #1) The Song of the Orphans (Silvers, #2)

“By the time I left college, I realized I'd never be happy unless I undid a lifetime of conformist conditioning.

Thus, I reversed my directives. I shunned affirmation and craved contempt. I sought arguments from argumentative people. I encouraged judgement from judgmental people. I went out of my way to trigger all kinds of scorn from anyone who was willing to give it, and there was never a shortage of volunteers. It wasn't the easiest phase of my life. In fact, there were dozens of nights I cried myself to sleep. But like the most determined of body builders, I stuck to my regimen and eventually began to see results. Eventually, I became a human fortress, impervious to even the most subtle and penetrating forms of disdain. At long last, my mind became a peaceful, self-sufficient entity. Life got easier from there.”
3 likes