Start by marking “Slick” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Slick

Daniel Price

Slick

She teases and deceives. She writhes her way across the nation and beyond, seducing us all with her light and noise. Love her or hate her, you can’t escape her. She’s the American media–and nobody understands her better than Scott Singer.

A rising star in the world of public relations, Scott is a master at manipulating the news, especially when the news isn’t good for his c
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Slick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slick

Haya
May 31, 2013 Haya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at random at a Half Price Bookstore because the cover looked interesting and it seemed to have a decent rating on Goodreads. I honestly had zero expectations going in.

This book was a FANTASTIC read. It's not a peachy book, it's a bit dark and... different. I feel like people would either really love this book or not understand it all.

The plot keeps you fully engaged, but it's not too crazy to the point where you don't know what is going on. I honestly couldn't stop reading
Marty Beaudet
Nov 06, 2011 Marty Beaudet rated it really liked it
This humorous romp grabbed me before I was even done with the prologue. The witty, sardonic voice of the protagonist kept me laughing and wondering throughout his narration of a twisted tale of media manipulation. It was both believable and outrageous, and had all the trappings of a true-to-life exposé.

My only complaint is that at times it tried to be too true to life, not only juxtaposing the names of real celebrities and events among its fictional elements, but frequently going too far into th
Fraemone
Aug 08, 2007 Fraemone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
daniel price is a GOD!! i loved this from start to finish.
Kia LaTrice
Dec 17, 2015 Kia LaTrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't let the length of time it took me to read this book be any indication of how much I loved it! This was one of those books that I picked up just because I like the author, knowing very little of what the book was about. It only took a couple chapters for me to be completely hooked. I fell in love with Scott Singer and wasn't ready to let him go so I took my time with him, I meant, the book...took my time with the book :-)

I was not expecting this book to be so entertaining. Daniel Price did
DAREL HERBERT PATTERSON
Read this one based off the wonderfully written "Flight of the Silvers" by the same author. Let's just say based on his first two novels, Daniel Price has a long and bright future ahead of him... And at least one faithful reader! This was a great book!
Frenje
Sep 02, 2007 Frenje rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the bits of random trivia about the whole PR business.
Erin
Jan 28, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a friend of mine recommended this one to me. i opened it up and read the first few pages -- a pr agent's wild media stunt. within the first 2 pages i could see jeremy piven in the lead role of a movie based on this book... slick is the story of a 'slick' pr guy, who has the heart of gold.

price's style reminds me a bit of old noir mysteries. or maybe even david mamet. he uses tight, clipped phrasing, and scott, our pr guy, has a tough exterior bullets can't penetrate. i'll admit that the phrasing
Miles Palmer
Jun 17, 2014 Miles Palmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very rare to find a book that is so readable and fun yet so intricate. Reading it is like opening a Chinese puzzle box with prizes inside. I can understand after reading this book and Price's other book, Flight of the Silvers, why there were several years in between. Writing a book like this and the Flight of the Silvers is a lot of work. In both cases here, the work is very well done and pays off for the reader like a well aged vintage wine.
Matt
Jul 31, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this novel was going to be full of the dirty tricks of an amoral publicist--which would have been fun to read--but it developed into a pretty well done human drama. The main protagonist is a bit of a cipher and not always 100% sympathetic, but the book kept me interested throughout.

One nice feature was the slice of time presented. The book took me back to the early 2000s quite well.
Shawn Skaggs
Jan 03, 2015 Shawn Skaggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A page turner

An entertaining read that constantly has you wondering what will happen next. I liked the characters and enjoyed all the twists and turns the author threw out.
Doris
May 25, 2015 Doris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Great book! Really interesting and hard to put down. Give it a try.
David
Jun 01, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this after another book of his. Totally different genre, but awesome none the less. His writing is super compelling to me. Definitely enjoyed the story and how this went.
Meotzi
Feb 18, 2015 Meotzi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read and one that makes you think many times about how our opinion is manipulated by people who make it their business to ensure that we have the "right" opinion of their clients. I didn't like the main character but he was fascinating to watch in action. I'm not sure I liked any of the characters but they were all interesting people.
joshua toro
Jun 17, 2009 joshua toro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I have to say I picked up based on the fact its cover design smacked me in the face, but it was earnestly fun. The main character's trip is ridiculous if not funny. Especially enjoyed the explanation of PR companies hiring other PR companies. This was a generally fun story.
Rolli
May 08, 2014 Rolli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
It's not just a smart, witty and entertaining novel. It also has depth, is insightful; the characters all really come to life and it also has a great balance between storyline and characters.
This book really rocks! The plot is both complicated and very simple - just great.
Betsy
May 26, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-read-in
Politics...PR...the music industry...news media...love and lust...all of these are melded into a car chase style race for integrity in Daniel Price's book. For a work of fiction, Price fits quite a lot of (non-preachy) discourse into this book. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Judith
I'm writing this review six years after I read the book, so I don't remember many details. What I do remember is that I absolutely loved it! The ending was rather unpredictable too. It was so good that I should actually read it again.
FittenTrim
Jul 09, 2011 FittenTrim rated it liked it
A really fun page-turner about a decent guy who's job is sleezy... but I think the general idea in the story is the same type of plot that explains the whole Dan Rather-Bush National Gaurd memo.
Marjan Wynia
Dec 10, 2013 Marjan Wynia rated it it was amazing
Hilariois, whitty, must read when you work in the music industry or as a pr agent. I agree with Metro's review: " an intelligent piece of zeitgeist literature"
Samra Muslim
Mar 29, 2013 Samra Muslim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never have I read such an interesting and well-written book about the world of spin (or media and PR as it is popularly known!!). Kudos to the author ... !
Katigie
Jul 31, 2015 Katigie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Skillful, skillful, skillful character development, plot, and fascinating premise. Ambiguity explored
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 Frederick Bingham rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A novel about a guy in public relations. I could not get interested and put it down after 30 pages.
Stefan
Aug 09, 2011 Stefan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to read it again. And again. And again...
Anakin
Aug 03, 2007 Anakin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone going into marketing
The life a top marketing agent can be cold!
Sam
Sep 19, 2016 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing
Leo
Nov 23, 2012 Leo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Lee Devinney
Lee Devinney marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Reese
Reese marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
  • Eyewitness to a Genocide: The United Nations and Rwanda
  • Near + Far
  • Paradox: Am Abgrund der Ewigkeit
  • Seed of Evil: An Ancient Evil Rises (Saga of Evil, #1)
  • Freehold
  • Synchronic: 13 Tales of Time Travel
  • Subversives: The FBI's War on Student Radicals, and Reagan's Rise to Power
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • The Law & the Heart:
  • Cloak of Darkness
  • Cheat and Charmer
  • The Straight Girl's Guide to Sleeping with Chicks
202807
Daniel Price is the author of Slick and The Flight of the Silvers, the latter of which was nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award for Best Science Fiction Novel in 2014.

He's currently putting the finishing touches on The Song of the Orphans, Book Two of the Silvers Series, due for release in July 2017.

He lives in Gilbert, Arizona, with his partner Nancy (also a Goodreads author) and her three wond
More about Daniel Price...

“By the time I left college, I realized I'd never be happy unless I undid a lifetime of conformist conditioning.

Thus, I reversed my directives. I shunned affirmation and craved contempt. I sought arguments from argumentative people. I encouraged judgement from judgmental people. I went out of my way to trigger all kinds of scorn from anyone who was willing to give it, and there was never a shortage of volunteers. It wasn't the easiest phase of my life. In fact, there were dozens of nights I cried myself to sleep. But like the most determined of body builders, I stuck to my regimen and eventually began to see results. Eventually, I became a human fortress, impervious to even the most subtle and penetrating forms of disdain. At long last, my mind became a peaceful, self-sufficient entity. Life got easier from there.”
3 likes