Start by marking “Hastur Lord (Darkover Series)” as Want to Read:
Hastur Lord (Darkover Series)

Hastur Lord (Darkover - Chronological Order #23)

A never-before-published fantasy novel set in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover universe.

The world of Darkover, a unique, isolated, and protected world, has long avoided becoming part of the technologically advanced Terran Empire. But things are about to change. Regis Hastur, lord of the most powerful of the seven Domains in Darkover, learns that the Empire is about to
Published January 5th 2010 by DAW (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hastur Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hastur Lord

Shira Anthony
Apr 01, 2011 Shira Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Darkover fan
It had been so many years since I last read the Darkover series, I had lost touch and didn't even realize this new book would be coming out. I am SO glad I found it. First off, I have to admit it's not another "Heritage of Hastur," arguably the best Darkover book ever, but it is a wonderfully written book and fills in some important gaps in the series covering the 2nd contact with the Terrans. Most importantly this book explores the relationships between Regis, Linnea and Danilo, something I've ...more
Aviva
Mar 28, 2010 Aviva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Darkover books. I didn't discover them until the mid to late '90s, when I was bored at my then-boyfriend's apartment and went digging through his bookshelves for something to read. Once I started, I couldn't stop, going through his collection and then buying or borrowing the rest.

Honestly? I'm not sure if I would have developed that passion if this had been the first book of the series I read. But there's still so much I like about Darkover that's in this one: the acceptance of same-sex
Morgan Dhu
Hastur Lord (pub. 2010) credited to both Bradkey and Deborah J. Ross, but published ten years after Bradley's death, is perhaps the weakest of all the Darkover novels, at least in my opinion.

It introduces a few new characters who will be important later on, and sets up the next major conflict between Terrans and Darkovans, but the main plotline is totally unnecessary and relies on a great deal of out-of character behaviour on the part of both Regis Hastur and Danilo Syrtis.

First, the important
Avril
Apr 11, 2014 Avril rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so there's never going to be another Heritage of Hastur and I should stop looking for it. Hastur Lord is the third in the 'Regis and Danilo' series within the greater Dorkover series, but it is vastly inferior to Heritage and Sharra's Exile.

I suspect that Deborah J. Ross just doesn't write as well about Darkover as the planet's creator did - after all, this is authorised fanfiction rather than 'the real thing'. But even reading the book with the leniency that fanfiction deserves, this is a
Avis Black
Pros: Focuses on Danilo and Regis, which is always good--there aren't nearly enough books about them. Story of a political coup is a solid plot idea. I liked the way the narrative split gave both Regis and Danilo their say. I'm also a sucker for Danilo-in-danger plots, and this book delivered.

Cons: Ross isn't that good at action scenes, and the book could have used more machiavellian plot twists and character development. Has too many references to occurrences in other Darkover novels that are u
Melinda Snodgrass
Apr 14, 2010 Melinda Snodgrass rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Darkover. It's one of those created world like Barsoom, and Hogwarts and Middle Earth that have substance. On a sentence by sentence level Marion Zimmer Bradley was not an elegant writer, but she made this planet and this culture real.

Unfortunately this book just isn't making it for me. It features one of my favorite characters from the series -- Regis Hastur and the time period I liked the best -- the clash when Earth rediscovers it's lost colony, but the protagonist is making choices t
Judy
Feb 01, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best of the Darkover books but an easy read.
Jimyanni
Dec 07, 2016 Jimyanni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is not, really, a terrible story. It has a fair plot, interesting characters, and a marvelous background world. There's just one small problem: it never happened.

Both Marion Zimmer Bradley and now her successor, Deborah J. Ross, have always maintained that they won't let consistency from one "Darkover" story to another stand in the way of a good story. Although I dislike that attitude in any case, I can tolerate it in respect to minor details; there have, after all, been over 20 major novel
Kathy Martin
Jan 05, 2014 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was nice to visit Darkover again after many years away but I picked a very turbulent time to drop in. The Terran Empire is on the verge of becoming the Terran Federation and dispensing with the designation of Protected World. Darkover finds itself in danger of being taken over as a military base or being otherwise exploited by the Expansionist Party.

Regis Hastur is facing lots of pressure from his grandfather too who is determined to see him married with heirs. Since Regis is in a long-time
Jimmy
Jimmy
Lys
Quelle parole nell'introduzione, "Marion ha sempre affermato come la linearità temporale tra un romanzo e l'altro non potesse essere un intralcio al buon racconto di una storia", avrebbero dovuto essere un campanello di allarme.

Voglio dire, chiunque abbia un minimo di familiarità con Darkover sa dell'esistenza di questa regola non scritta. E sa anche che le incongruenze non sono mai particolarmente sconvolgente. Una sorella che diventa cugina, cinquant'anni che diventano quarantratre. Quindi per
Melody
Jan 20, 2010 Melody rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Darkover fans
I read the Darkover books before I was old enough to have the slightest bit of literary discernment. They offered me a world very far from the unhappy one I lived in. Some of them I can stand to re-read, but some of them are unrelievedly awful, and for the most part I prefer my memories of them to the actual books. When Bradley died in 1999, her world lived on and various others began publishing "Darkover" books based on alleged conversations with MZB or outlines left behind.

I think one of the
Doris
Nov 19, 2012 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this book because it filled in some rather important gaps in the series, not least of what would happen when/if Regis ever became ruler of Darkover, which he was supposedly trained for his entire life. That said, I was not happy with the rather contrived plot in this story. Primarily, it seemed that Regis, a man of honor trained from birth to lead his people, is not only eager to give it over to the first eligible person, but does not care enough about his people to do any research / i ...more
I've been reading the Darkover books for, oh, maybe 20 years now and it saddens me to think that I won't be reading any more new ones. Having said that, I'm a little annoyed that there series is ending without a real look at what happened in the thousand years between Darkover Landfall and Stormqueen! - how did the religion evolve? Who settled the Dry Towns? Why does Zandru have seven cold hells? If the answers to those questions are any where in the canon, please let me know!

As with all the rec
Rodrigo
Mar 22, 2013 Rodrigo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I found this book particularly weak. It doesn't feel like a story by itself, but more of a filler that, in all sincerity, didn't need to happen.

Ok, so now we know how Danilo and Linnea came to accept each other's love for Regis, and their places in his heart but, again, this is a filler. So we understand Ariele's trauma that left uncertain and unstable as we've seen on Exile's Song. Again, filler. The Ridenows are for the first time (chronologically) was in their evil/murder/betrayer role, to be
Nanci
May 02, 2011 Nanci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I have read everything this author has written. Marion Zimmer Bradley died in 1999. The world lost an amazing and far-seeing woman who was born in the 50s. Bradley brought an early feminist perspective to her world-building and this is present in all of her books.

This particular novel deals with the ongoing political struggles of a planet that does not have much technology according to Terran standards, but the small population of the Comyn (local nobles) have psychic powers and have used them
Starling
I hate it when this happens. The plot of the book just did not do it for me. And I know it is me more than it is the author because I did dip into the book at the end and towards the end to see how it ended. I read about 160-175 pages into the book before I realized I just did not want to go where the book was going.

I don't give star ratings to books I don't finish. I don't think that is fair unless I stopped and the fault with the book is very clear.

I loved the Darkover series when Marion Zimme
Contrarius
Oct 05, 2011 Contrarius rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm waffling between 3 stars and 4 on this one. On the one hand, I was rather pleased with the quality of the writing. This is the first cowritten Darkover novel I've read, and fortunately the quality of the prose did not seem to suffer in comparison with "pure" MZB books. On the other hand, I didn't really believe the motivations and actions of the major characters in many instances, and I spent most of the book wanting to smack Regis Hastur upside the back of his head.

Incidentally -- for thos
Patricia Fontes
Thanks to the discovery of an older hidden half-brother, Regis Hastur is given the opportunity to lay down the responsibilities as leader of the Comyn. Unfortunately, Rinaldo had not been groomed for leadership and things quickly fall apart.
This book was written by Deborah Ross based on notes left by the late Marion Zimmer Bradley. It is well written, but I felt that it was a bit thin on plot and character development. All in all, if you are a fan of Darkover, the book is satisfying. There is al
Jeanne Johnston
Well, we now know Regis has a failing, and that's to assume everyone is as noble as he is. Hated Rinaldo from the start. The creepy smile, the weirdly ambitious and greedy crap that didn't gibe with the monk shtick. Dani saw it. I spent 9/10 of this book screaming it at Regis, but he wouldn't listen. I kept hoping Lew Alton would zip home and bolster the good guys before everything went to shit.

Dan Lawton's wife was similarly creepy from the first time we saw her, and if that first meeting when
Julia Hendon
Although part of a series begun by Bradley, and which I loved when I read them while in high school, this book has been written by a younger author who was apparently selected by Bradley to continue the series after her death. Not the first time this has happened -- the Oz books were continued by several writers after Baum's death, there's Nancy Drew, and more recently, such icons as Andre Norton. Folks, it never works. This book was dull, much too much talking, and really quite unbelievable cha ...more
Nancy
Jan 28, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, as I have all the Darkover novels. I think it's supposed to be the last one as Ms Bradley died some years ago and the more cent books have been written by someone else with Ms Bradley's notes. I'm sorry to see the end, as it is a complex world that has been created, and there's lots more good stories there. This book is not the best, but by no means bad or uninteresting. I recommend it to Darkover fans, but others should start at the beginning or things just won't make sen ...more
DeAnna
Mar 14, 2010 DeAnna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I have to quit reading Darkover books written after Marion Zimmer Bradley's death. My hopes are always high (I loved her Darkover series when I found them in high school), and they are consistently dashed. For all their good intentions, the people that have been trying to carry on her work just cannot imitate her voice, and I don't like the direction they took the series.
Mary
Aug 09, 2015 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This book was worth reading to fill in an obvious gap in the Darkover universe. I wasn't completely happy with the "previously unheard of illegitimate older brother in a monastery" trope and "wife who turns out to be a madwoman" and I wonder if the story could have been written in some way to avoid such clichés. However, if, like me, you are completist this will answer some questions without trashing characters you already know and love.
Lida Atkinson
Very true to Ms. Bradley's style and vision. A time in Darkover's history that has been referenced in other books, Rigus Hastur is holding back from becoming the leader that Darkover needs. His public life is intruding more and more into his personal life. His public life is making life dangerous for those he loves. While the rest of the galaxy struggles with political upheaval, Darkover and Rigus struggle with personal relationships and religious fanaticism.
Bron
Need some escapism, Darkover is a good world to return to now and then. Some of my favourite characters in this one, Regis and Danilo and Linnea in a tale, not so much of good versus evil, but of good tempered with common sense versus good under the sway of religious delusion as Regis hands over power to a long lost older brother, who then proceeds to endanger the planet's compact with the mighty Terranan Federation.
Joanna
Feb 19, 2010 Joanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Marion Zimmer Bradley's death in 1999 left a hole in my list of series, so I was so excited when I saw this I bought it and started reading it immediately. I was halfway through and I had to give up. I don't want to ruin my love of Darkover...this was actually painful to read. The plot was non-existent and Zimmer Bradley's subtlety when handling characters' sexuality and/or activites was gone. Ugh. Not good. Other collaborations of this series have been passable, but this doesn't even get that.
Nicole Simon
Aug 14, 2013 Nicole Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: darkover
I love my darkover books and I did not think anything wrong with a co author because the ones with Mercedes where just fine. This one though ... easy rule of thumb for me: If Deborah is involved, do not buy or at least not without a good scan into the excerpt if you can stand this 'writing' and this 'story line'.

Barbra
Jul 26, 2011 Barbra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. it was nice to take a dip back to darkover. It was madding at times. Hate what they went though even though I knew it would out there were times I want to throw the book and scream. Another words it was great. only resin to took me so long to read was that life kept taking away my reading time.
  • Sword and Sorceress 25
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • The Invisible Chains - Part 2: Bonds of Fear (Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse, #2)
  • Blood and Ghosts (Blood #2)
  • Gods Old and Dark (The World Gates, #3)
  • Reaching Higher (Encounters, #2)
  • Pandora Project: Runaway Star
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
  • Return to Avalon
  • Stealing Life
  • Deceiver (Foreigner, #11)
  • After Long Silence
  • Eon's Door
  • Archangel Protocol (LINK Angel, #1)
  • Earth and Sky (Clouds and Rain #2)
  • Chains of Love (Blue Ruin, #3)
  • Fallen
  • Halfway Human
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

Darkover - Chronological Order (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Darkover Landfall (Darkover, #1)
  • Stormqueen!  (Darkover - Chronological Order #3)
  • Thunderlord  (Darkover - Chronological Order #4)
  • The Fall of Neskaya (Darkover, #3; Clingfire, #1)
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • Hawkmistress! (Darkover, #6)
  • A Flame in Hali (Darkover: Chronological, #8; Publication, #37; Clingfire, #3)
  • Two to Conquer (Darkover, #7)
  • The Heirs of Hammerfell (Darkover, #8)
  • Rediscovery  (Darkover - Chronological Order #11)