Start by marking “Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)” as Want to Read:
Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)

Worldbinder (The Runelords #6)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  2,543 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Fallion and Jaz are living as fugitives in their own kingdom, now secretly controlled by evil supernatural beings. Fallion seems destined to heal the world and feels the calling to act, but when he summons his powers, two worlds collapse into one.
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Worldbinder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worldbinder

Joe Moley
Nov 03, 2009 Joe Moley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What used to be one of my favorite series and one that I waited impatiently each year for a new release from has degenerated in an amorphous blob of unreadable text. In fact, until a random Amazon recommendation, I was blissfully unaware that I had in fact missed 2 recent installments entirely. After much trepidation, I opted to add them to my “to read” list and downloaded the first one I had missed on my Kindle.

I originally prided Farland for his unique (in my mind at least) system of magic as
Marie
Jul 01, 2017 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
That was boring
Gen 1 was so much better
Jesse Whitehead
Oct 14, 2015 Jesse Whitehead rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could tell the difference between when I have changed too much to appreciate an author’s writing and when the author has just diminished too much to be read any more.

I recall really enjoying the first four books of this series and found them to be exciting and phenomenal works of fantasy with brilliant consequences to the magic system that seemed to be missing in other works.

Then I read the precursor to this book and found it almost unbearably dull and poorly written.

Being a glutton for
Alec
May 02, 2016 Alec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given my relative inexperience with epic fantasy, I don't know if this series has followed a typical story arc or if it is as unique as it seems to me reading it. Unsatisfied with the world he originally created, David Farland bound two worlds (as the title might suggest) in this book introducing an entirely new geography, cast of characters, and fantastical creatures. That being said, this is obviously a continuation of the series and fits snugly into the narrative thus far.

Over the course of
Phil
Jun 06, 2011 Phil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This new addition to the Runelord series seems like kind of a rehashing of the first part. The only difference now is that everything takes place on a "shadow world", but the same characters and ideas are used. I'm not a huge fan.

On top of that, I feel like the books are fairly disconnected. Each book seems to introduce new monsters and new bad guys and I just don't get the feeling that there is a master plan. I would prefer there to be a clear cut distinction between the different parts of the
Angie
May 04, 2012 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I had a VERY hard time getting into this book. I felt like there were too many new characters, and I didn't care about most of them until they all started to come together. The book didn't seem to move toward anything--I still couldn't tell you what the climax was. All I know is that the book ended in a complete mess, which means I can't give up on the series yet--I can't just leave the mess alone, completely unresolved.

Binding imperfect worlds together to create one perfect world is an interest
Kenneth Geary
Jun 05, 2012 Kenneth Geary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a whole new world. Literally. As the title suggest in worldbinder. Fallion is able to bind some of the shadow worlds together. This book shows how well Farland is able to build up a world. It goes beyond the Runelords magic system and adds a whole new magic system and a whole new race (sort of) of enemies. He is able to take the world he created in his earlier books and with mostly new characters allow us to see how generations grow. I see that some of the reviews put him down for having so ...more
Ginn
Jan 12, 2009 Ginn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This one took a lot of effort to get into. The first half is quite slow because many new things have to be introduced, which is fine but not quite what one is expecting in the sixth book of a series. It also seemed that the author didn't put as much effort into the first half as compared to the other books. I enjoyed some of the concepts, such as worldbinding itself, and wings as a thing you can wear, but the most compelling characters I found were not Fallion or Rhianna, as you would expect, bu ...more
Abbe
EDITORIAL REVIEW: **The bestselling epic breaks new ground **After the events of *Sons of the Oak*, Fallion and Jaz, the sons of the great Earth King Gaborn, are living as fugitives in their own kingdom, newly invaded and secretly controlled by supernatural being of ultimate evil. The sons are hiding until they can regain their rightful places in the land. Fallion seems destined to heal the world, and feels the supernatural calling to act. When he calls on his powers to do so though, two entire ...more
Louis-simon
Pour renouveler le monde de la série "Les seigneurs des runes", David Farland a décidé de fusionner deux mondes ensembles... littéralement. Cela entraine beaucoup de présentations de noueaux éléments au début de l'histoire ce qui ralentit le récit.

Par contre, une fois cette première partie passée, l'histoire continue au rythme habituel. On y fait la connaissance d'un nouveau peuple et d'un nouvel ennemis à l'armée surpuissante (pour faire changement).

J'aurais donner un 3*1/2, mais, étant donné l
Shannon
Feb 06, 2008 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the....? I thought this was the end of the series. First, I heard there were 4 books in this series. Then I find that they continue with the main character's son in book 5. And it just doesn't end. All in all, I liked the original 4 much better than these last 2. After all that time connecting to the original characters, it feels like a bait-and-switch to follow new ones. That said, I like this book better than the previous one. They've taken the lore and given it a twist, so it's not just ...more
Morgan Schreffler
I was interested for the first few pages of this one, until (view spoiler) and I was forced to care about a whole host of "new" characters all at once. After that I found it hard to get through the rest of the book. Also, I agree with another reviewer that using the binding to "resurrect" dead characters is kind of cheap. It was interesting how Farland managed to effectively sever nearly all ties with the first four books in the first half o ...more
Chris
Jan 09, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I keep thinking about dropping this series (which I almost never do), and then reading the next one. Amazingly perverse and nasty (in a non-sexual way). The cosmology is interesting, but it annoys me how willfully Farland disregards (lack of) resources and the futility he oh so painfully details, in order to keep the story going.
Wilfred Berkhof
Aug 15, 2009 Wilfred Berkhof rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
After the series started to go downhill in book 5 (loved the first 4 books!) it sadly has not gotten any better, maybe even worse in book 6. I find little report with the main characters and the story has become increasingly unrealistic by trying to find bigger and bigger adversaries in each book.

I so hope book 7 will see a return to form for this likeable author.
Margot
Oct 06, 2007 Margot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adultfantasy
This is several books into the series, and I have read so many fantasy series that lose quality as they go. I was feeling this way about the Runelords series, but this book was very good. It turned this series right around for me.

Don't get me wrong...it didn't stink before. But I liked this one quite a lot. Lots of intensity and surprises, along with some very nice word crafting.
Lana
Jun 11, 2015 Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so fallion has managed to join two of the worlds but the result was not what he had envisaged it would be. things seem to be going from bad to worse in this book for the sons of the oak and the wyrmlings seem to be gaining the upper hand!! have we seen the end of averan? and what of the earth king - gaborn?
Michele
Aug 28, 2010 Michele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This installment of the Runelords series starts out strangely... I almost didn't feel like I was reading the right book. It seems odd to introduce so many new characters half way into a series, but he manages to bring it together. There is a lot of fighting and darkness in this book, but the end did leave me wanting to find out what happens, so I guess he succeeded in continuing the story.
Briar
Oct 28, 2008 Briar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason Lutovsky
Apr 01, 2011 Jason Lutovsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all "epic fantasy" series, there are characters I adore and characters I don't like so much, but I find that I'm enjoying the way Farland writes his villains. He also manages to change things up enough to not have it feel like just book 6 of a long running series.
Lee Nevo
Nov 27, 2007 Lee Nevo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one started out pretty slow, however toward the end it really picked up. This was more a development book in my opinion to get you back on the track that was the first 4 books. I am seriously looking forward to the next book in the series.
Boyd
Apr 24, 2008 Boyd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-series
This one felt like it was a transitional book in the series. Alot of new things happen, new characters, new villians etc... If the follow-up is as good as this one, then the rest of the series will be very good, just like the first 3 books in this series.
Jeremiah Hebert
Hated the ending- seems like Farland is stretching a bit, trying to keep his series alive....still, it's a cool concept and I like his writing. Wait for the paperback, but still a worthy read.
Marklandman
got a bit weird for me with all the changes and how much more powerful the enemy was.
Abhishek Goyal
Not as great as the first part in the series. The books end very suddenly with little closure.
I hope that the rest are better
Rebecca Evans
Jul 08, 2015 Rebecca Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty good
Aaron Anderson
Everything got weirder in the series. I still don't dislike it, but I think it slipped from 3.5 to 3 stars.
Chris Pacheco
May 09, 2013 Chris Pacheco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another great chapter in the action packed fantasy epic, by David Farland.
Amelia
This book was an excellent addition to the Runelord series. It had a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I am eagerly awaiting the next book in this series.
Ryan
Jun 24, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
More like ~3.5. A good story, but only more questions and an open ending.
Jesse
Jul 11, 2011 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Far and away better than Sons of the Oak. In fact, easily the best book in the entire series thus far.
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • The Shadow Sorceress (Spellsong Cycle #4)
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night, #2)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • A Tragic Legacy: How a Good vs. Evil Mentality Destroyed the Bush Presidency
  • Servant of the Dragon (Lord of the Isles, #3)
  • Shapers of Darkness (Winds of the Forelands, #4)
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa ...more
More about David Farland...

The Runelords (9 books)
  • The Runelords (Runelords #1)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Chaosbound (Runelords, #8)
  • A Tale of Tales (Runelords #9)