The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves, #2)

The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,769 ratings  ·  61 reviews
The dwarves have gone to battle and they have been victorious. But outside the realm, dark forces are at work.. .

Published (first published October 31st 2004)

Bart Van Loon
My experience with the sequel to the Dwarves is similar as with its predecessor: nice story in a nice world, but too straightforward and just too simple. Characters are still the caricatures of themselves (especially Ireheart and Rodario) which is quite funny, but doesn't do the story justice. Also, Girdlegard and its history deserve much more attention in my opinion. Finally, the (few) moral dilemma's of the characters in the book are not investigated in depth.

So, in general I like the world, t...more
Duesterwald-Online
Inhalt:
Tungdil und seine Freunde feiern immer noch den Sieg über den Magus Nôd'onn. Sie freuen sich jedoch zu früh, denn ein Heer von Orks ist unterwegs, um die Zwergenreiche zu zerstören. Und diese Orks sind unsterblich.

Doch wenn das doch nur alles wäre, denn ein weiteres Unheil droht von einer anderen Seite: Elf Magi, die eine Verkörperung eines gefallenen Gottes darstellen, erheben sich an der Westgrenze des Landes mit ihren Heeren. Den Zwergen steht ein Kampf an zwei Fronten bevor, doch das...more
Kaohlir
In an unorthodox move by myself, I will give The War of the Dwarves a short-review in comparisson to other fiction I have rated, which frankly is all it is worthy of.

Synopsis and generic summary
Your traditional Tolkien-esque yarn, with characters not cliched, but certainly typical of the more traditional-beginning`s of the Fantasy genre. The framework of the Characters seem stripped from those of The Lord of the Rings, without the piercing seriousness of the Silmarilion, or the contemptous, c...more
Jimmy
Brian
The story is great. The writing is "eh" probably because it's a translation.

I love the characters of this book and the ideas behind the world that Heitz creates. However, things do have a tendency to just... happen. It's like most stories in that you know X, Y, and Z are events that have to take place, but usually the author fleshes out the struggle to accomplish it. In War of the Dwarves (and in the Dwarves, really) the actual struggles and climax points are brief and overly simple. I don't kno...more
Mark
Another home run Mr. Heitz you continue to sate my appetite for destruction and story. Tungdil and friends return in this epic. I like how there is more conflict added within the main character to keep the story interesting. And an in depth view on the thirdlings and how tungdil truly is unique. Tungdil continues to be the leader we know he can be. I am overly excited to read the third book and will be buying the 3rd on release day.
Anna
Very good, nearly as good as the first one! Loved following along with Tungdil and his friends in the fight to save thier world. Many surprises happened along the way I was NOT expecting! Great book!
Nareg Megerdichian
One of the biggest "FUCK YEAH" moments in my life came from this book. Filled with humor, drama and of course action the "war of the Dwarves" was very satisfying.
Long live the children of the smith.
Mel Curtis
Just as good as the first!!! Love these sort of books that make your imagination go wild. Love it Love it Love it.
Tony
This book is fooking amazing.

Buy it.
Jen Gambale
It has now occurred to me why I'm having so much trouble reading this series. Despite that it's pretty well-written writing-stylewise, despite that it's relatively well-plotted and despite that there are quite a few very interesting characters in this series, there is one thing these novels are seriously lacking — and that is the spark. The spark that gives the story its breath, its heartbeat and its life. The spark that catches my ultimate interest and glues my eyes to the page. It's not there....more
Francesco
Vote: 3

Mi è piaciuto di più del primo libro della serie: sviluppa meglio i personaggi e aggiunge un po' di carattere al mondo.
(NB: entrambi i libri possono essere letti in modo indipendente)

- Mondo (2,75):
Un po' studiato a tavolino ma sufficiente; la mitologia
(creazione dei popoli, dei, semidei, ecc.) risulta un po' troppo "storica" e poco mitica (nel libro le leggende non solo hanno un fondo di verità sono spesso vere, storiche).

- Personaggi (3,25): convincono abbastanza e, rispetto al primo l...more
Garrett Herrington
This book really did it for me. As stated in my review of The Dwarves, I didn't REALLY enjoy the previous book until about 2/3 of the way through it, but then I fell in love. This book was a continuation of that love the whole way through. It hit me in the gut when I was at a high, and brought me up from rock bottom just as I thought there would be no end to the troubles of Tungdil Goldhand. Thisbook was superbly done, and if you've made it through it's predecessor it is a must read.
Alessandro Pellizzari
La prima parte (circa un quarto) è abbastanza noiosa, e nelle 20 pagine successive spara in sequenza 4 o 5 colpi di scena che fanno dubitare della capacità dell'autore di gestire i tempi in un romanzo.

E invece!

Il resto del libro è un crescendo molto appassionante, con colpi di scena al momento giusto e pochissime sbavature, sviluppi molto interessanti dei personaggi e intrecci molto godibili.

Decisamente meglio rispetto al primo.
Al

A secret army of Orcs, made immortal by the hidden powers of the Black Water, now marches towards Girdlegard, set to unleash its fury upon the kingdom. Sooner than they realize, Tungdil and his comrades will need to summon all their courage to do battle against this bloodthirsty horde.

The Orcs are not the only threat. An unspeakable new power is growing and threatens the very exist

Lizza11
Dit is weer een serie die zich begint te ontwikkelen als een epic serie. Waar ik na het lezen van het eerste boek nog een beetje twijfel had hoe het verhaal zich verder uit moest gaan bouwen na het 'einde' van dat boek, loopt het nieuwe 'hoofdstuk' zo soepel dat je het niet eens meer merkt. Nieuwe duistere machten staan op en bondschappen worden gesmeed en gebroken.
Qua ontwikkeling van het verhaal en de hoofdpersonen zit het uitstekend in elkaar. Ook leuk is de nieuwe dwergen die je leert kenne...more
John Dackrotz
This was a great read almost as good as the first one but could get a little boring at times with Narmora and Andokaii, but overall an amazing sequel.
Tom Webster
picks up where the Dwarves left off.

drags a bit in places but well written and once again worth sticking with
John Walkenford
I enjoyed the book but I also felt it wandered around too much in search of a primary storyline. "The war" kept changing until you lose track of who is supposed to be the "good guys" and the "bad guys" so that by the time you get to the end of the book the last war didn't feel as impressive. But i will continue on to the next book because I still like the characters.
Tim
Having enjoyed the first book in the dwarves series, I was keen to read on with this, the second book. What a major disappointment! I can't recall another book with so many errors in continuity. There are errors throughout the text. Not only between sections but, eventually they start to occur within paragraphs!
This book comes across as badly written, badly proof read, and generally has a feeling of being rushed to press.
Overall, a very frustrating and disappointing read!!
I have the third in t...more
Michael Froio
I actually enjoyed this book even more than the first. It took off right where the other left off and it kept me interested all the way.

I definitely recommend
Tia
abbystvnsn
This book is incredibly tragic when I stop to think about it, but while I was reading I was never really overcome with emotion. The last page did make me choke up a bit, but other than that... despite the overwhelming number of deaths, earth-shattering triumphs, and heart wrenching break-ups, I didn't really get a strong emotional impact from Der Krieg der Zwerge. From talking to native German speakers who have read this book, I'm an outlier. Regardless, it's a good story, a good read, and the 6...more
Jean-Francois Amiot
From the last half on, there was a lot of action and I had trouble putting the book down as you always want to know what's going to happen.

I think he stroke a good balance between killing off characters and not killing anyone. Heitz is certainly not afraid to kill his "creations".

Translation was better than the first book where sometime some sentence were built strangely and that was a bit distracting.

The ending of the book could be the finish of the series, but I know there's a third book.

Than...more
Ralph Halse
Following his last novel, Dwarves Heitz has created a cracker of a yarn filled with strong characters acting out scenario's in a tolkienesk world. He kills off his heroes and anti-heroes with equal zeal, quickening the pace with fresh characters and circumstances of war, magic & heroism. Heitz's novels would suit any reader of traditional fantasy through to historical novels and could be read for enjoyment by readers as young as ten.
Dan
Doesn't live up to the promise of the first book. I stopped half way through and never picked it up again, which is my test of a good book. If I come back to a book after putting it down then it has kept me engaged. This book failed to call me back, it kept the cliches coming (unrequited love, unknown danger, travel into an unknown land, etc) and I wasn't invested in the characters enough to bother finding out how it ended.
Michael
The 2nd part of the Dwarves, *sigh* what can I say... it's a fantastic sequal to The Dwarves.
Pretty good, straightforward story, easy reading.

Dwarves will always have a special place in my heart, they're just the coolest fantasy-creatures ever I.M.O.

Jsrott
Disappointing. In many cases it felt like the plot was forced unnecessarily through questionable actions by the characters in several spots. The action was decent, but in between the story hinged on too many instances where supposedly intelligent characters made boneheaded decisions that were obviously wrong. Strange to say about fantasy, but I found it unrealistic.
Gill
Great story, make time to read this, it won't be an overnight stint! I read straight after book 1, which I also enjoyed but did find the hero a little 'too good to be true'. In book 2 we realise he is not by any means perfect and dwarf society is far more complex than we ever imagined in book 1. A book full of intrigues, betrayals, twists and turns. I enjoyed it.
Colin
Brilliant, it was better than the first book which I also gave 5 stars too ... If you could give more I would.....

The Battles were again Epic the characters were strong, you were pulled through this epic adventure, by a ring through you nose, you just had to find out what happened next.....

Well here's looking forward to the third installment....
  • Elfenwinter (Die Elfen, #2)
  • Bodyguard Of Lightning (Orcs: First Blood, #1)
  • Das Erste Horn (Das Geheimnis von Askir, #1)
  • Am Abgrund (Die Chronik der Unsterblichen, #1)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - part 2 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 2)
  • Lumen (Uralte Metropole, #3)
  • O Despertar da Magia (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo, #4)
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1) Die Rache der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #3) Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4) Ritus (Die Bestie, #1) Kinder des Judas (Kinder des Judas, #1)

“Der Tod verändert auch die Lebenden.” 1 likes