Start by marking “The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves, #2)” as Want to Read:
The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves, #2)

The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  2,563 ratings  ·  79 reviews
The dwarves have gone to battle and they have been victorious. But outside the realm, dark forces are at work.. .

Published (first published October 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The War of the Dwarves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War of the Dwarves

Bart Van Loon
My experience with the sequel to the Dwarves is similar as with its predecessor: nice story in a nice world, but too straightforward and just too simple. Characters are still the caricatures of themselves (especially Ireheart and Rodario) which is quite funny, but doesn't do the story justice. Also, Girdlegard and its history deserve much more attention in my opinion. Finally, the (few) moral dilemma's of the characters in the book are not investigated in depth.

So, in general I like the world, t
Nice thing is - it is a long book so value for money. Overall, it's entertaining but not a page-turner. Unlike some books, I didn't find myself compelled to read late into the night. The characters are good generally but there are times when they are a little too comical. You do want the central hero, Tungdil, to do well and he does. There are some nice twists to keep the story from being too straightforward, but they are fairly predictable. Telling the tale from the dwarves viewpoint is nice an ...more
Tungdil und seine Freunde feiern immer noch den Sieg über den Magus Nôd'onn. Sie freuen sich jedoch zu früh, denn ein Heer von Orks ist unterwegs, um die Zwergenreiche zu zerstören. Und diese Orks sind unsterblich.

Doch wenn das doch nur alles wäre, denn ein weiteres Unheil droht von einer anderen Seite: Elf Magi, die eine Verkörperung eines gefallenen Gottes darstellen, erheben sich an der Westgrenze des Landes mit ihren Heeren. Den Zwergen steht ein Kampf an zwei Fronten bevor, doch das
In an unorthodox move by myself, I will give The War of the Dwarves a short-review in comparisson to other fiction I have rated, which frankly is all it is worthy of.

Synopsis and generic summary
Your traditional Tolkien-esque yarn, with characters not cliched, but certainly typical of the more traditional-beginning`s of the Fantasy genre. The framework of the Characters seem stripped from those of The Lord of the Rings, without the piercing seriousness of the Silmarilion, or the contemptous, c
The story is great. The writing is "eh" probably because it's a translation.

I love the characters of this book and the ideas behind the world that Heitz creates. However, things do have a tendency to just... happen. It's like most stories in that you know X, Y, and Z are events that have to take place, but usually the author fleshes out the struggle to accomplish it. In War of the Dwarves (and in the Dwarves, really) the actual struggles and climax points are brief and overly simple. I don't kno
Wie schon der erste Band ist auch dieser gut geschrieben. Alles, was man von einem Fantasy-"Epos" erwartet, ist da: große Schlachten, gute Freundschaft, schwierige Krisen, und auch das Quentchen Humor und etwas Liebe und Gefühl sind vorhanden, aber nicht zu aufdringlich. Ich werde die Serie auf jeden Fall weiterlesen.
Another home run Mr. Heitz you continue to sate my appetite for destruction and story. Tungdil and friends return in this epic. I like how there is more conflict added within the main character to keep the story interesting. And an in depth view on the thirdlings and how tungdil truly is unique. Tungdil continues to be the leader we know he can be. I am overly excited to read the third book and will be buying the 3rd on release day.
Stefanie Hasse
„Um sie herum tropfte und plätscherte es. Eiszapfen schmolzen, der erstarrte Wasserfall neben dem Eingang hatte seinen durchsichtigen Panzer aus gefrorenem Wasser gesprengt und toste befreit. Gischtnebel stiegen in die Höhe und brachten die Luft zum Schillern.“

Das Tote Land und seine Horden wurden besiegt. Die flüchtenden Orks, Oger und andere Bestien werden von den Verbündeten verfolgt.

Tungdil plant, die Zwergenfestung am Steinernen Torweg wieder zu bevölkern und das Geborg
Very good, nearly as good as the first one! Loved following along with Tungdil and his friends in the fight to save thier world. Many surprises happened along the way I was NOT expecting! Great book!
Nareg Megerdichian
One of the biggest "FUCK YEAH" moments in my life came from this book. Filled with humor, drama and of course action the "war of the Dwarves" was very satisfying.
Long live the children of the smith.
Shane Kiely
Similar tone wise in broad strokes to the first Dwarves book, but definitely different enough to more than justify it's existence. Expands nicely on some of the concepts hinted at previously & offers a nice series of twists that never seem to materialise out of thin air. The writing itself continues the tradition of marrying sophistication with ease of readability. Markus Heitz comes from the George RR Martin school when it comes to character deaths which adds a nice layer of tension to proc ...more
Mel Curtis
Just as good as the first!!! Love these sort of books that make your imagination go wild. Love it Love it Love it.
This book is fooking amazing.

Buy it.
Vote: 3

Mi è piaciuto di più del primo libro della serie: sviluppa meglio i personaggi e aggiunge un po' di carattere al mondo.
(NB: entrambi i libri possono essere letti in modo indipendente)

- Mondo (2,75):
Un po' studiato a tavolino ma sufficiente; la mitologia
(creazione dei popoli, dei, semidei, ecc.) risulta un po' troppo "storica" e poco mitica (nel libro le leggende non solo hanno un fondo di verità sono spesso vere, storiche).

- Personaggi (3,25): convincono abbastanza e, rispetto al primo l
Garrett Herrington
This book really did it for me. As stated in my review of The Dwarves, I didn't REALLY enjoy the previous book until about 2/3 of the way through it, but then I fell in love. This book was a continuation of that love the whole way through. It hit me in the gut when I was at a high, and brought me up from rock bottom just as I thought there would be no end to the troubles of Tungdil Goldhand. Thisbook was superbly done, and if you've made it through it's predecessor it is a must read.
Mark Doornbos
Great story once again, like the first book. Book had me on the edge of my seat.
Didn't like what happened to some characters though, especially the ones with major roles in the first book. It's OK to let bad things happen to some but it seems most of the more interesting characters get completely screwed over this time.
Alessandro Pellizzari
La prima parte (circa un quarto) è abbastanza noiosa, e nelle 20 pagine successive spara in sequenza 4 o 5 colpi di scena che fanno dubitare della capacità dell'autore di gestire i tempi in un romanzo.

E invece!

Il resto del libro è un crescendo molto appassionante, con colpi di scena al momento giusto e pochissime sbavature, sviluppi molto interessanti dei personaggi e intrecci molto godibili.

Decisamente meglio rispetto al primo.
The main downside to this book was that I had read the first one over five years ago and I didn't remember all that much from it. In this book, they refer a lot to those happenings to explain certain things though and I kept on feeling the urge to pick up that first book again. But all in all, I thought that this was the better of the two, probably because the main characters didn't have to be introduced anymore and the action seemed to start earlier in the book. Found a few translation mistakes ...more

A secret army of Orcs, made immortal by the hidden powers of the Black Water, now marches towards Girdlegard, set to unleash its fury upon the kingdom. Sooner than they realize, Tungdil and his comrades will need to summon all their courage to do battle against this bloodthirsty horde.

The Orcs are not the only threat. An unspeakable new power is growing and threatens the very exist

Dit is weer een serie die zich begint te ontwikkelen als een epic serie. Waar ik na het lezen van het eerste boek nog een beetje twijfel had hoe het verhaal zich verder uit moest gaan bouwen na het 'einde' van dat boek, loopt het nieuwe 'hoofdstuk' zo soepel dat je het niet eens meer merkt. Nieuwe duistere machten staan op en bondschappen worden gesmeed en gebroken.
Qua ontwikkeling van het verhaal en de hoofdpersonen zit het uitstekend in elkaar. Ook leuk is de nieuwe dwergen die je leert kenne
I enjoyed this story, with its occasional humour, and the Thirdlings adding some unrelenting nastiness. The author surprised me by killing off some central characters.
John Dackrotz
This was a great read almost as good as the first one but could get a little boring at times with Narmora and Andokaii, but overall an amazing sequel.
Tom Webster
picks up where the Dwarves left off.

drags a bit in places but well written and once again worth sticking with
Fahed ( Fred )
I enjoyed this book, even though the more I read the more it resembles lord of the rings it was still interesting to read and can't wait to start the 3rd book hopefully it's just as good
John Walkenford
I enjoyed the book but I also felt it wandered around too much in search of a primary storyline. "The war" kept changing until you lose track of who is supposed to be the "good guys" and the "bad guys" so that by the time you get to the end of the book the last war didn't feel as impressive. But i will continue on to the next book because I still like the characters.
Having enjoyed the first book in the dwarves series, I was keen to read on with this, the second book. What a major disappointment! I can't recall another book with so many errors in continuity. There are errors throughout the text. Not only between sections but, eventually they start to occur within paragraphs!
This book comes across as badly written, badly proof read, and generally has a feeling of being rushed to press.
Overall, a very frustrating and disappointing read!!
I have the third in t
Michael Froio
I actually enjoyed this book even more than the first. It took off right where the other left off and it kept me interested all the way.

I definitely recommend
Hugh McShane
See my review of book 1. It covers all books. Read whole series
Michal Kulas
Příliš často používáno "deux ex machina" a to mě moc neba...
  • Elfenwinter (Die Elfen, #2)
  • Die Trolle (Die Trolle, #1)
  • Bodyguard Of Lightning (Orcs: First Blood, #1)
  • Am Abgrund (Die Chronik der Unsterblichen, #1)
  • Die Zauberer (Zauberer-Trilogie, #1)
  • Die Zweite Legion (Das Geheimnis von Askir, #2)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 2 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 2)

The Dwarves (5 books)
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
  • Die Rache der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #3)
  • Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4)
  • Der Triumph der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #5)
The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1) Die Rache der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #3) Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4) Ritus (Die Bestie, #1) Gerechter Zorn (Die Legenden der Albae, #1)

“Der Tod verändert auch die Lebenden.” 2 likes