Start by marking “Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry

Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  285 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
""Here, in my own words and as I remember them, are my cherished stories about a lifetime of fun and love and laughter...I've never thought of my jewelry as trophies. I'm here to take care of it and to love it, for we are only temporary custodians of beauty." --Elizabeth Taylor"

She has mesmerized movie audiences since her debut in "National Velvet" at the age of twelve, da
Published September 30th 2002 by Gem Guides Book Company

Irene
Sep 29, 2008 Irene rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006
This is the book that made me love jewels in the worst way...and I love her take on it--meant to be loved by all, not just the owners.
Virginia
Jan 27, 2013 Virginia rated it really liked it
I began my look into Elizabeth Taylor's life by reading a very large biography of her life. However, I had wished that I had seen more pictures of her and loved looking at all the jewelry she was lavished with. When the author suggest reading this book I couldn't get to the library fast enough. I truly wish that the stories in this book were more than the stories everyone knew. I was also shocked by how many pieces were just so grand! She could have bought a country with the amount of worth is i ...more
Becky Moore
Oct 12, 2011 Becky Moore rated it it was amazing
My mother passed this library book onto me once she was finished, and we both really enjoyed it. This is the only book Taylor wrote herself, and it's an interesting, fabled look inside her legendary Hollywood lifestyle. Seriously, her jewels would put the Queen to shame. The only thing that would make it better is if we could reach into the book and pull out one of the pieces for ourselves.
BikerDude
Sep 09, 2014 BikerDude rated it it was amazing
Having read this book a couple of years ago I thought it would be interesting to see the Bulgari exhibition at the DeYoung Museum in SF.

I came to the conclusion I have no real interest in jewelry itself. The only thing that moved me at the exhibition were the photos of Liz wearing the jewelry. They had other photos of women wearing various bits of jewelry and none of them looked authentic. A couple of photos showed various royals wearing bits and only made me realize how ugly some royals were.

On
230 pages
Non-fiction; Coffee Table Book
5/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: Stunning pictures of some of Elizabeth Taylor's favorite jewelry with some of her anecdotes.

Thoughts: After I read two bios of Elizabeth this summer, I was very intrigued by the jewelry that played a role in them. Then I saw that this book existed so I requested it from the library. It's not so much a book as a coffee table book w
Libby
Feb 25, 2015 Libby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, jewels
I've been reading in the news that Elizabeth Taylor's jewels are going to be the stars of a traveling exhibit before they are auctioned. So I went to my bookshelves to pull out this book to check on my memories of them, and, yup, they're still as catch-in-the-breath dazzling as I recalled them. The illustrations are top-notch and the narration is casual and intimate, as tho you had just dropped in for a glass of tea and a good chat. Miss Taylor was not just a movie star glutting herself with bau ...more
Autumn
Feb 20, 2011 Autumn rated it really liked it
Ok I'll admit. As a little girl, I loved going through my Mom's jewelry drawer and gazing at her things. I never was allowed to wear them, just look. Looking at the stunning photographs of Miss Taylor's jewelry reminded me of those early days, so very long ago. The jewelry was simply stunning. I loved looking at it, even though I would never wear anything like that, even if I could afford it. Well, ok I'll admit it. There were two necklaces that I'd like to have. Just because I'm intelligent and ...more
Katrina
Jan 08, 2016 Katrina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiographies
A must read for any fan of Elizabeth Taylor. This book has stunning photographs of Taylor's famous jewelry collection, along with humorous, heart-warming, and sometimes incredulous stories about the jewels' history and how Taylor obtained them. This book of anecdotes is a very candid expression of the kind of person Taylor must of been, bringing special insight to fans of Old Hollywood and Elizabeth Taylor herself.
Jan Polep
Mar 10, 2014 Jan Polep rated it it was amazing
Viewed some of David Webb's jewelry on the "CBS Sunday Morning Show" and followed up by getting up close and personal with some of his creations in this coffee table book about Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry. Webb's cultured pearl, diamond and emerald lion bracelet and necklace are featured as are 200+ pages of pictures Taylor's fantastic jewelry, the reasons behind the purchases and gifts, and how this beautiful woman wore them through the years. Gemstone eye candy...bring it!
Lee
Mar 31, 2014 Lee rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book on the discount table at Barnes and Noble. What a deal!! Years later, when her jewelry went up for auction after her death, I re-read the book so that when I viewed the jewels at the auction house, I could remember her recollections of the gems. They had a life of their own.
Daisy
Jan 20, 2016 Daisy rated it really liked it
On the heels of Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century, this puts faces on the jewels Elizabeth Taylor famously loved, wore, gave, was given. This would have been a better read if the A--HOLES who desecrate library books hadn't torn out so many of the pages!
Julie
Dec 26, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
I bought this book as a sort of "guilty pleasure" at a library book sale. I am also a jewelry collector, but nothing I have begins to match the magnificence of Elizabeth Taylor's jewels! I'm not a starstruck kind of person--actually, I despise celebrity worship--but after reading this book, I wish I'd had a chance to meet her in person. I was utterly charmed with the story of how she saved as a child to buy her mother a brooch, and felt Elizabeth Taylor had really given everyone an intimate look ...more
Dana Al-Basha
Jan 19, 2016 Dana Al-Basha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish to have so much beautiful jewelries as Elizabeth but I'm absolutely in love with her baby diamond ring!!
Allyson
Sep 25, 2011 Allyson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
this book is a great one! the pictures of these amazing jewels make your mouth water. what i also love is that ms. taylor tells how she aqquire these items. she shows items she bought for her mother. but what impresses me the most is that she talks about how she is simply just the keeper of the jewels and that after she passes on, they will onto the next person. she never really owns them, just cares for them. the most beautiful pearls, rubies, emeralds and diamonds are appropriate for one of th ...more
Sandra Espinet
Oct 16, 2013 Sandra Espinet rated it it was amazing
It goes without saying what kind of legendary and iconic reputation Elizabeth Taylor left for herself, and her jewelry. I'm obsessed with this book! Elizabeth's incredible jewelry collection has made its way around the the world, selling at auctions for 4 to 5 times their value. This just shows how impeccable she was and how lovely and legendary each of her pieces of jewelry really were. Royalty! If you have the kind of admiration I do for Miss Elizabeth Taylor, this book is perfect for you.
Jaimie Teekell
Feb 04, 2014 Jaimie Teekell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is the quintessential coffee table book. Beautiful illustrations, beautifully done, and I love the commentary from Taylor.
Victoria Price
Feb 12, 2014 Victoria Price rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glamour-art
The ultimate jewellery junkie, Elizabeth Taylor had some exquisite pieces with equally compelling back stories. For some one who is not really a fan of jewellery, I still find this book fascinating and beautiful.
Jodi Papazian
Apr 26, 2010 Jodi Papazian rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-reads
Rubies, Diamonds, and Pearls! Oh my!

Check this book out if you want to 1. See how the other half lives and 2. Be depressed about the contents of your jewelry box.

Not too much to read in this book except descriptions of the jewelry and how Liz Taylor got some guy to buy it all for her, however, the photographs are amazing.
Kristen
Jul 01, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
OH! I loved this book. I got panicked a few days ago because I haven't seen it since we moved, but I found it last night. The pictures are gorgeous, the stories are entertaining and I think it's so cool that she'd share her treasures with the rest of us.
Jamison
Feb 19, 2011 Jamison rated it it was amazing
visually stunning pictures, compelling anecdotes on each piece of jewelry, glimpses of a life well lived. elizabeth taylor has lead a lucky life, and the respect and love she felt for burton and todd was reciprocated beautifully.
Kate
Jul 26, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I feel down, all I have to do is cuddle up with Elizabeth and a nice glass of red wine and read all of her incredible stories that accompany her gorgeous gems.
Judith
Elizabeth Taylor has always been one of my favorite women in history. I have always been fascinated with her life, her career, and of course her jewelry
Bradley
May 14, 2011 Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I'm still mourning the loss of Elizabeth Taylor. This book focuses on her legendary jewelry collection and the stories behind them.
Narariel
Jul 12, 2015 Narariel rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable book, full of pictures & stories. Little bits & pieces about jewelry & E. Taylor make for a fun, light read.
Tamara J.
Jan 26, 2009 Tamara J. rated it really liked it
Great photos of Liz and her jewelry. I loved the fact that the book is larger in size so I could see the pieces better.
Amy
Jul 13, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
pretty pictures, but disappointing narrative. I was expecting more information, or more of a biography.
Elizabeth Duncan
Jun 29, 2011 Elizabeth Duncan rated it liked it
Beautiful pictures. She was very good at persuading men to buy her nice things.
Rose
Dec 06, 2009 Rose rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book.
It's one of my favorite coffee table books
Tina
Jul 12, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
I love "sparklies" and this book is full of them!!
Tobi
Apr 10, 2008 Tobi rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and interesting book.
  • MM--Personal: From the Private Archive of Marilyn Monroe
  • The Dress Doctor: Prescriptions for Style, From A to Z
  • Greta Garbo: A Cinematic Legacy
  • The Lonely Life
  • The Golden Girls of MGM: Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, and Others
  • Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It
  • Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth
  • Now
  • Elizabeth Taylor
  • What to Wear, Where: The How-to Handbook for Any Style Situation
  • 365 Style
  • Sex and the City 2: The Stories. The Fashion. The Adventure.
  • Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow
  • Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century
  • The Grace Kelly Years: Princess of Monaco
  • Refinery29: Style Stalking
  • Audrey Hepburn: A Life in Pictures
  • Front Roe: How to Be the Leading Lady in Your Own Life
Dame Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor, DBE is a two-time Academy Award-winning English-American actress. Known for her acting skills and beauty, as well as her Hollywood lifestyle, including many marriages, she is considered one of the great actresses of Hollywood’s golden years, as well as a larger-than-life celebrity.

The American Film Institute named Taylor seventh among the Greatest Female Stars of Al
More about Elizabeth Taylor...