Start by marking “Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry

Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  31 reviews
""Here, in my own words and as I remember them, are my cherished stories about a lifetime of fun and love and laughter...I've never thought of my jewelry as trophies. I'm here to take care of it and to love it, for we are only temporary custodians of beauty." --Elizabeth Taylor"

She has mesmerized movie audiences since her debut in "National Velvet" at the age of twelve, da
Published September 30th 2002 by Gem Guides Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth Taylor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth Taylor

Virginia
I began my look into Elizabeth Taylor's life by reading a very large biography of her life. However, I had wished that I had seen more pictures of her and loved looking at all the jewelry she was lavished with. When the author suggest reading this book I couldn't get to the library fast enough. I truly wish that the stories in this book were more than the stories everyone knew. I was also shocked by how many pieces were just so grand! She could have bought a country with the amount of worth is i ...more
Becky Moore
My mother passed this library book onto me once she was finished, and we both really enjoyed it. This is the only book Taylor wrote herself, and it's an interesting, fabled look inside her legendary Hollywood lifestyle. Seriously, her jewels would put the Queen to shame. The only thing that would make it better is if we could reach into the book and pull out one of the pieces for ourselves.
Irene
Sep 29, 2008 Irene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2006
This is the book that made me love jewels in the worst way...and I love her take on it--meant to be loved by all, not just the owners.
BikerDude
Having read this book a couple of years ago I thought it would be interesting to see the Bulgari exhibition at the DeYoung Museum in SF.

I came to the conclusion I have no real interest in jewelry itself. The only thing that moved me at the exhibition were the photos of Liz wearing the jewelry. They had other photos of women wearing various bits of jewelry and none of them looked authentic. A couple of photos showed various royals wearing bits and only made me realize how ugly some royals were.

On
230 pages
Non-fiction; Coffee Table Book
5/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: Stunning pictures of some of Elizabeth Taylor's favorite jewelry with some of her anecdotes.

Thoughts: After I read two bios of Elizabeth this summer, I was very intrigued by the jewelry that played a role in them. Then I saw that this book existed so I requested it from the library. It's not so much a book as a coffee table book w
Libby
I've been reading in the news that Elizabeth Taylor's jewels are going to be the stars of a traveling exhibit before they are auctioned. So I went to my bookshelves to pull out this book to check on my memories of them, and, yup, they're still as catch-in-the-breath dazzling as I recalled them. The illustrations are top-notch and the narration is casual and intimate, as tho you had just dropped in for a glass of tea and a good chat. Miss Taylor was not just a movie star glutting herself with bau ...more
Gobnait
Ok I'll admit. As a little girl, I loved going through my Mom's jewelry drawer and gazing at her things. I never was allowed to wear them, just look. Looking at the stunning photographs of Miss Taylor's jewelry reminded me of those early days, so very long ago. The jewelry was simply stunning. I loved looking at it, even though I would never wear anything like that, even if I could afford it. Well, ok I'll admit it. There were two necklaces that I'd like to have. Just because I'm intelligent and ...more
Jan Polep
Viewed some of David Webb's jewelry on the "CBS Sunday Morning Show" and followed up by getting up close and personal with some of his creations in this coffee table book about Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry. Webb's cultured pearl, diamond and emerald lion bracelet and necklace are featured as are 200+ pages of pictures Taylor's fantastic jewelry, the reasons behind the purchases and gifts, and how this beautiful woman wore them through the years. Gemstone eye candy...bring it!
Lee
I purchased this book on the discount table at Barnes and Noble. What a deal!! Years later, when her jewelry went up for auction after her death, I re-read the book so that when I viewed the jewels at the auction house, I could remember her recollections of the gems. They had a life of their own.
Julie
I bought this book as a sort of "guilty pleasure" at a library book sale. I am also a jewelry collector, but nothing I have begins to match the magnificence of Elizabeth Taylor's jewels! I'm not a starstruck kind of person--actually, I despise celebrity worship--but after reading this book, I wish I'd had a chance to meet her in person. I was utterly charmed with the story of how she saved as a child to buy her mother a brooch, and felt Elizabeth Taylor had really given everyone an intimate look ...more
Allyson
this book is a great one! the pictures of these amazing jewels make your mouth water. what i also love is that ms. taylor tells how she aqquire these items. she shows items she bought for her mother. but what impresses me the most is that she talks about how she is simply just the keeper of the jewels and that after she passes on, they will onto the next person. she never really owns them, just cares for them. the most beautiful pearls, rubies, emeralds and diamonds are appropriate for one of th ...more
Sandra Espinet
It goes without saying what kind of legendary and iconic reputation Elizabeth Taylor left for herself, and her jewelry. I'm obsessed with this book! Elizabeth's incredible jewelry collection has made its way around the the world, selling at auctions for 4 to 5 times their value. This just shows how impeccable she was and how lovely and legendary each of her pieces of jewelry really were. Royalty! If you have the kind of admiration I do for Miss Elizabeth Taylor, this book is perfect for you.
Jaimie Teekell
This is the quintessential coffee table book. Beautiful illustrations, beautifully done, and I love the commentary from Taylor.
Victoria Price
The ultimate jewellery junkie, Elizabeth Taylor had some exquisite pieces with equally compelling back stories. For some one who is not really a fan of jewellery, I still find this book fascinating and beautiful.
Jodi Papazian
Rubies, Diamonds, and Pearls! Oh my!

Check this book out if you want to 1. See how the other half lives and 2. Be depressed about the contents of your jewelry box.

Not too much to read in this book except descriptions of the jewelry and how Liz Taylor got some guy to buy it all for her, however, the photographs are amazing.
Kristen
OH! I loved this book. I got panicked a few days ago because I haven't seen it since we moved, but I found it last night. The pictures are gorgeous, the stories are entertaining and I think it's so cool that she'd share her treasures with the rest of us.
Jamison
visually stunning pictures, compelling anecdotes on each piece of jewelry, glimpses of a life well lived. elizabeth taylor has lead a lucky life, and the respect and love she felt for burton and todd was reciprocated beautifully.
Kate
Whenever I feel down, all I have to do is cuddle up with Elizabeth and a nice glass of red wine and read all of her incredible stories that accompany her gorgeous gems.
Judith
Elizabeth Taylor has always been one of my favorite women in history. I have always been fascinated with her life, her career, and of course her jewelry
Bradley
I'm still mourning the loss of Elizabeth Taylor. This book focuses on her legendary jewelry collection and the stories behind them.
Narariel
A very enjoyable book, full of pictures & stories. Little bits & pieces about jewelry & E. Taylor make for a fun, light read.
Tamara J.
Great photos of Liz and her jewelry. I loved the fact that the book is larger in size so I could see the pieces better.
Amy
pretty pictures, but disappointing narrative. I was expecting more information, or more of a biography.
Elizabeth Duncan
Beautiful pictures. She was very good at persuading men to buy her nice things.
Rose
I LOVE this book.
It's one of my favorite coffee table books
Tina
I love "sparklies" and this book is full of them!!
Tobi
Beautiful and interesting book.
Vita
Aug 13, 2009 Vita rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Very interesting. A bit shallow...
Emily Joyce
The. Greatest. Book. Ever.
Shelley
Jun 14, 2009 Shelley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jewelry fans
Recommended to Shelley by: Alex
drool worthy photos
  • MM--Personal: From the Private Archive of Marilyn Monroe
  • The Lonely Life
  • The Dress Doctor: Prescriptions for Style, From A to Z
  • The Golden Girls of MGM: Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, and Others
  • Elizabeth Taylor
  • Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth
  • Avedon Fashion 1944-2000
  • Ava: My Story
  • Chanel: Collections and Creations
  • Sex and the City 2: The Stories. The Fashion. The Adventure.
  • Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It
  • Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century
  • Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow
  • Vivien Leigh: An Intimate Portrait
  • What to Wear, Where: The How-to Handbook for Any Style Situation
  • Now
  • Diane: A Signature Life: My Adventures in Fashion, Business, and Life
  • Elizabeth: The Life of Elizabeth Taylor
Dame Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor, DBE is a two-time Academy Award-winning English-American actress. Known for her acting skills and beauty, as well as her Hollywood lifestyle, including many marriages, she is considered one of the great actresses of Hollywood’s golden years, as well as a larger-than-life celebrity.

The American Film Institute named Taylor seventh among the Greatest Female Stars of Al
More about Elizabeth Taylor...
Elizabeth Takes Off Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth Taylor's Nibbles and Me Cat on a Hot Tin Roof Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?