Start by marking “How a Seed Grows” as Want to Read:
How a Seed Grows

How a Seed Grows (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)

How does a tiny acorn grow into an enormous oak tree? With beautiful and accurate watercolor illustrations from Loretta Krupinski, this book by Helene Jordan traces the process of how a little seed grows into the plants and trees that surround us.

Published April 10th 1992 by HarperCollins (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about How a Seed Grows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How a Seed Grows

Kirah Marshall
Sep 15, 2016 Kirah Marshall rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-summaries
1. This informational book walks the reader through the steps of seeds and seed growth. It identifies all kinds of seeds, like beans, oak tree seeds (acorns), and more. Then it sets forth an experiment that takes you step by step of how the plant grows. It's example is a bean plant because bean plants grow fast. It talks about what plans need to grow and how to take care of them. It is beautifully illustrated and shows the step by step stages of seed growth!
2. This would be good for grades pre-k
John Moore
Mar 07, 2013 John Moore rated it it was amazing
How a Seed Grows, Helene J. Jordan
Grade Level: K-2
Topic: Plants and seed growth
Description: This book is great for helping young children learn how a seed grows into a plant or tree. It uses kid friendly language and terms but also provides an easy experiment in steps at the end where kids can grow their own plant with the help of an adult.
Lisa Dominick
Dec 01, 2016 Lisa Dominick rated it really liked it
How a Seed Grows by Helene J. Jordan is a nonfiction picture book intended for readers in grades pre-k to second grade. The book is part of the series, Let’s-Read-and-Find-Out, that won the 2010 American Association for the Advancement of Science/Subaru Science Books & Films Prize for Outstanding Science Series. This level 1 book offers introductory science concepts to how seeds grow and how young readers to plant a garden. I gave the book a 4-star rating because of the language, step-by-ste ...more
Amanda Andrews
Oct 19, 2013 Amanda Andrews rated it really liked it
Book Title: How a Seed Grows
by Helene J. Jordan

Short Description of the Book: Jordan explains that seeds become plants and gives examples of slow growing and fast growing seeds. She gives a description of a science experiment that children can do themselves, while teaching what plants need to survive.

Focus: Informational Features I Would Use in a Mini-Lesson

1.) Informational Text Structure, How-To: Jordan begins her story with an introduction page about seeds. She then narrows her focus by show
Madison Woodmansee
Nov 18, 2015 Madison Woodmansee rated it really liked it
How a Seed Grows by Helene J. Jordan is a young informational text for mostly kindergarten and preschoolers. The reason it is for new readers is because it teaches the basic concepts. The book is about how a small seed grows into a big oak tree. It shows how we get the beautiful plants that surround our world.

This book touches on the science behind how a seed grows. However, it puts into to basic terms for young readers to be engaged and interested. Making it easy for them to understand how it w
Joseph Sarandrea
Apr 30, 2015 Joseph Sarandrea rated it liked it
In the short informational picture book How A Seed Grows, Helene J. Jordan writes a story of an acorn and how it becomes a tree. With the help of Joseph Low’s illustrations, children can read about and understand the process of a seeds growth.

The illustrations in this book, although very creative, are a bit odd. With some pages in black and white and other in color, the drawings are inconsistent and somewhat confusing. They do their job of illustrating the text, but do not exceed expectations or
Zoraya Brown
I would use this book to teach children about the process of seeds transforming into plants. The activity for extension would entail providing each child in the lesson with a small styrofoam cup, 3 Lima beans, and a piece of brown paper towel. We would place the paper towel in the bottom of the cup with the seeds on top, then allow children to water their seed by putting water in the cup. We would watch the plants grow each day and have the children draw their views of them, as well as discuss w ...more
Calie Youmans
Nov 19, 2015 Calie Youmans rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
How a Seed Grow shows the process of how a little seed grows into the plants and trees that are all around us.

This is a Stage 1 Let's-Read-and-Find-Out, which means the book explains simple science concepts for preschoolers and kindergarteners. It is also the winner of the American Association for the Advancement of Science/Subaru Science Books & Films Prize for Outstanding Science Series.

How a Seed Grows would be great when discussing common core standards on explaining how plants and tres
Nicole
Nov 24, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
How a Seed Grows is a great book about how seeds grow and what they grow into, even how to grow seeds.
It provides the reader with relate-able events to help them realize the time table for a seed growth. I love that it explains ho to grow a seed, what seeds grow what flowers, trees, or vegetables. It helps the reader with their success in growing their own seed. The realistic illustrations provide a proper description of a seed and its growth. It uses a chronological narrative to show the reader
Lizzy
Jun 25, 2014 Lizzy rated it really liked it
This book describes a science experiment in which children take an acorn and watch as it grows into a tree. It does a good job of describing the stages of growth, and would be a good way to inspire a unit about plants! I think it could have done a better job explaining what is happening as the seed is growing and why, rather than what the child is seeing as it grows. It would be a good start to a project, if other books involved in the unit explained more of the why.
Theme: Plants
Topic: Science-
Evelyn Matias
Nov 04, 2012 Evelyn Matias rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This is a great book to use in with your first graders when intoducing a lesson on seeds and plants. It gives a great list of things that come from seeds and also pictures of different kinds of seeds and where they come from. It also allows for your students to make the text to outside connection. It also gives a little experiment on growing a bean plant from a bean seed. It's a neat simply put book that a first grader can easily understand.
Stephanie
Jun 06, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
This is a great book to teach young children about how a seed grows. I did the experiment suggested in the book with my SEN class and the classroom was buzzing with children's comments and questions. I would recommend all EYFS teachers or those who have children with SEN to get this book.
This book is brilliant! It combines so skilfully both fact and fiction and was a fantastic tool to get young children and children with SEN to get to grips with growing.
Rachel C
Apr 07, 2014 Rachel C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This book explains how a seed grows into a plant, it provides a list of the things that grow as a seed and there is also an experiment readers can do with adults that allows readers to grow a bean plant from a bean. This book would be wonderful to read during a science unit of plants and animals along with the fun seed growing experiment as well.
Erin
Apr 06, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
This book has realistic pictures that show different types of seeds and the process of how a seed grows into something else. The story provides information on how to plant a seed and help it grow. It also has cross-section pictures of the seed as it grows; this allows students to clearly understand the process a seed goes through to become a plant.
Shannon Brasher
I would love to use this book with younger children to discuss how a seed grows. This is a fantastic book that shows how many different things grow from seeds such as trees, flowers, and fruits and veggies. It includes a step-by-step guide so you can conduct a science experiment with children to show exactly how a seed grows.
Donald
Mar 25, 2013 Donald rated it it was amazing
Well, I didn't actually read this. My almost 5 year old daughter did! She just got it today, sat down on the couch, and read it aloud - cover to cover! Hardly need any help to boot! Her mother and I couldn't believe it! All 32 pages, one sitting, poof - done! By far the most she's read out loud to date! Thanks Ms. Jordan!
Kellee Hao
Oct 21, 2012 Kellee Hao rated it really liked it
Grade: 1

This is a good book to use to introduce your students to using seeds to grow plants or flowers. It will educate your students what seeds are used for and how they are grown. This book is great to have in your classroom for those who are curious in learning more about science and gardening.
Janice Redding
This book is amazing to read to second graders while introducing the life cycle of a plant. I say this because all plants begin with a seed. It talks about how seeds grow many things, but need soil, water, and sunlight. I can use this book in my classroom to show my students different examples of what seeds can grow such as flowers and food.
Sabrina Henry
Jun 19, 2010 Sabrina Henry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
This book is an exciting book to use with young children. It teaches children about the growth of seeds. It is simple enough to be understood clearly. The pictures are great and realistic.
Another thing I like about this book is that it is colorful and it also showed some form of diversity in its pictures.
Jayetta Carter-mcfarlin
I would read this book to second grade students to introduce a lesson about the life cycle of a plant. This book also contains an experiment that students can follow to grow plants from bean seeds. In the back of the book, the author suggests other books that the class or individual students can use to extend their knowledge about the life cycle of plants.
Connie
Jul 26, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
What this book is NOT, to be clear, is a good read-aloud. It's tedious if used that way.

What it *is* is a good, step-by-step instruction of a basic science project for little ones. If you use it that way, reading every step as you go through it and not before, it's wonderful.

I find the reading age suggested on this book (3-6) to be a little young. Try 6-8 instead.
Leah
Jan 30, 2015 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, children-s
Written by Helene Jordan and illustrated by Joseph Low.

The content of the book was very educational and would be fun for a child old enough to be involved in planting some seeds. I would probably use this to accompany such an endeavor because I found the illustrations to be pretty irritating and badly done. not a favorite book "just to read".
Ngoc  Dang
Apr 05, 2011 Ngoc Dang rated it really liked it
I love using literature in another subject. This book is great to help kids understand about the parts of plant. First graders start learning about parts of a plant in first grade. I wished I knew about this book when I was in my first grade placement.
Sarah Snyder
Apr 25, 2015 Sarah Snyder rated it really liked it
This book is about one of my interest in growing plants. I loved the illustration through out the book. I was ready to start growing flowers after reading the book. I think students would love this book as an example of how plants grow.
Samantha
Observed a teacher read this book aloud to pre-kindergartners. Very informative, but probably not the best read aloud choice because of length of text. Students did get to plant their own bean seed in an egg shell after reading.
Kelly
A well-constructed, age-appropriated text. I wish that the eggshell bean growing exploration had been included as an add-on at the text's end, rather than embedded in the text's center. I think the text would have easier universal application if it had been organized differently.
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, science
I think this is a great book to help Nakyla understand what we are doing in the garden. My only complaint is that it talks about three things that plants need: sun, soil and water; they forget to mention air.
Hatka Kecalovic
This book is How a Seed Grows by Helene J. Jordan. This book can be used in Pre-K to 1 grade classrooms. This book can be used to introduce students to the concept of seeds and plants.
Brooke Parmely
Great book to read for when you plant seeds. This book used kid friendly terms and shows all of the steps it takes to make a seed grow.
Mommywest
Jul 01, 2013 Mommywest rated it it was amazing
Covers seed growth very comprehensively, but in an interesting way, and includes experiments a child can do to learn firsthand about plant growth. Appropriate for preschoolers and up.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • Down Comes the Rain: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • What Will the Weather Be?
  • Who Eats What?: Food Chains and Food Webs
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Big Tracks, Little Tracks: Following Animal Prints
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • From Tadpole to Frog
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • The Reason for a Flower
  • Weather Words And What They Mean
  • If You Find a Rock
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • Bugs Are Insects

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1 (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Bugs Are Insects
  • I'm Growing!
  • My Hands (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • How Many Teeth?: Let's Read and Find out Science -1
  • Clouds: Let's Read and Find out Science - 1
  • My Feet
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • What's Alive?
  • The Big Dipper: Let's Read and Find out Science - 1
  • Starfish (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)