The Six SIGMA Way: How GE, Motorola, and Other Top Companies Are Honing Their Performance

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This is the first book to provide basic, non-technical information on understanding and implementing Six Segma.
Audio, 128 pages
Published May 8th 2003 by American Media International (first published April 27th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Six SIGMA Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Six SIGMA Way

Jim Dubois
Great information but it is a very dry,textbook style of book. If you make it bedtime reading material you will fall asleep and not retain anything. Best to read when you are alert and seeking information. Very process oriented.
Beth E
Painful. I thought the book would be more of a commentary on how these big companies embraced the process and what their bottom-line success was. Instead, this book was more of an owners manual on Six Sigma. Not at all what I expected.
Brad
This is a group of summaries of how companies succeeded. It also has a summary of VERY general descriptions of the Six Sigma program, but without giving the reader any true wisdom.
Karleton Helfer
This recommendation is based on having read dozens of books in this genre.

Read this book, it is a straight forward read.

See other reviews for details.
Benjamin
A bit better than the average business book about six-sigma in that it's not just a sales tool trying to convince you to implement it at your company, but also gives tips on how you can better use the techniques at companies that are already using the business model.
Randolph Carter
Ostensibly a "manager's book" for Six Sigma. which translates to: not much depth. This in turn translates to: teaches you to do nothing actually useful so don't waste your time here unless you want a long winded 40,000 foot introduction to GE Six Sigma methodology.

Another problem with Six Sigma is there are really two schools: Motorola and GE. The Motorola methodology actually teaches one how to use statistical principles to build better quality in, how to maintain it, and how to continuously im...more
Omar Halabieh
This book is THE reference on Six Sigma. The authors define it as "A comprehensive and flexible system for achieving, sustaining and maximizing business success. Six Sigma is uniquely driven by close understanding of customer needs, disciplined use of facts, data, and statistical analysis, and diligent attention to managing, improving, and reinventing business processes."

This work is made up of three major sections. The first part provides an executive summary of this system. The second part foc...more
Bob Wallner
Jan 13, 2013 Bob Wallner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with little understanding of change management
Shelves: 6-sigma, audible
My review is based on the Abridged Audiobook. I guess I may have been expecting something else. This book is a great introduction to people who have little or no experience with any kind of Continuous Improvement effort and the challenges they will face. This book did a great job of talking about cultural changes all Improvement efforts will take. In the audiobook; however, there was little explanation of what tools drive the Six Sigma Way. I like that the author did not put down other efforts s...more
Milo Vukelich
I enjoyed this book. A good primer on 6-Sigma, how it works and, most importantly for me, how it works in service industries. I recommend it to anyone looking for a quick intro to the field.
Timothy Tacker
This was more of a high-level overview than I had hoped. It did not contain the level of detail that I was seeking but, instead, mainly related a set of stories about organizations that had seen success using Six Sigma.
Meaghan
pretty sure i would never have read this book if it wasnt for me mistakingly believing i wanted to be an engineer. however, for a school book, it was pretty good.
Curtis
I listened to the abridged audio version. Based on that, I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe the book has more detail, but this audio version was full of summarized info that I could have gotten from a Wikipedia article.
Dax
Well, it's pretty good for a six-sigma how-to. Whether six-sigma can live up to its promises is another question entirely.
Shawn Chase
A good book to give to your friends who want an introductory understanding of Six Sigma
Katy Dickinson
A good introduction to Six Sigma statistics-based business improvement methods.
Matthew Pierce
If you like business books, this is a must read.
Phyllis
Great overview of the methodology
Hardiansyah
Help my project much ..;)
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Andrea Hill
Andrea Hill marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Densil Alexander
Densil Alexander is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Don Bosco
Don Bosco is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
  • Age of Unreason
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Toyota Production System
  • The Lean Six SIGMA Pocket Toolbook: A Quick Reference Guide to 70 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed: A Quick Reference Guide to 70 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed
  • Competing for the Future
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • Out of the Crisis
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • Inside the Tornado: Strategies for Developing, Leveraging, and Surviving Hypergrowth Markets
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • The Fast Forward MBA in Project Management
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • McDonald's: Behind The Arches
  • Weird Ideas That Work: How to Build a Creative Company
  • The Three Laws of Performance: Rewriting the Future of Your Organization and Your Life
Pete is a seasoned consultant in process improvement, organization change and Lean, Six Sigma initiatives – and is one of the recognized "experts" in the field. He has provided senior executive training and deployment consulting services in business improvement and Lean, Six Sigma efforts for such companies as GE Capital, Cisco Systems, Starwood Hotels, Honeywell, Carlson Wagonlit Travel, Adobe, G...more
More about Peter S. Pande...
What Is Six SIGMA? The Six SIGMA Way Team Fieldbook: An Implementation Guide for Process Improvement Teams The Six Sigma Leader: Putting the Power of Business Excellence Into Everything You Do The Six SIGMA Leader: How Top Executives Will Prevail in the 21st Century The Six SIGMA Way Team Fieldbook, Chapter 6 - Define the Opportunity Scoping Six SIGMA Projects