Start by marking “The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files, #2)

The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files #2)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,786 Ratings  ·  271 Reviews
An arsonist has struck a top-secret research facility at a key US naval base. But it's not just a random terrorist attack. These people were after something specific. When Special Agent Patrick Bowers is called in to investigate, he is drawn into a deadly web of intrigue and deception. With his own criminology research being turned against him and one of the world's most d ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about The Rook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rook

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: R
Overall: Entertaining
Characters: Well Written
Plot: A killer with no threshold for pain
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Patrick

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This is the second book in a series. You could start here, but I would start from the beginning. It was a solid read that kept me interested in reading. I wasn’t however fooled as to the who, what, why and where. Too bad.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my b
Harry
Imagine my surprise after reading all the Patrick Bower series by Steven James and in wanting to write a review of the books, to discover that this series is labeled as being published by a Christian publisher, as well as authored by a Christian...ergo, the Patrick Bowers series is labeled Christian Fiction. I'll tell you this, as an atheist, I didn't have a clue (not even a suspicion) of this throughout my reading of these novels.

Now, now, I am not implying that good Christian fiction doesn't e
Melanie
May 06, 2015 Melanie rated it it was amazing
As I'm working my way through rereading this series, I've been getting to see anew all the little things I love about it.

In The Rook, I loved how Patrick and Tessa, his stepdaughter, continue to build and grow their relationship in the midst of difficulties. I also thought that the case Patrick was working on was very complex and the villain(s) was/were hard to guess!

All in all, a great thriller! I recommend it if you enjoy thrillers and can handle intense/gruesome reads.
Paul
Mar 24, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
during half of this book I thought I may have been reading one of sandford's Lucas davenport novels. however james makes bowers a character that maybe has similarities but is very different and the second half had enough twists and turns to make this a very enjoyable "beach read" I look forward to reading more Bowers stories
Ally (The Scribbling Sprite)
Originally posted at The Scribbling Sprite

Okay, so now I've read only the first two books in the Patrick Bowers Files, and it's already one of my favorite series. As soon as I finished the Pawn I had to rush to the library to get the Rook. It soared above and beyond my expectations(which were very high).

Just like The Pawn, The Rook had me hooked from the first page. It kept me guessing; the end had me completely shocked.

Again, I love the characters. While it's mostly from Patrick's point of view
Ronie
Nov 02, 2011 Ronie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Steven James has penned a compelling read in THE ROOK. I'm pretty sure he's made it onto my list of "auto-buy authors" because if his incredible talent for bringing together an intricate and intriguing plot. The only reason I didn't give this one 5 stars (which, here on GoodReads means "it was amazing!") is because at times the pace started to feel a bit drawn out. It's not a gripe or a complaint. It could've just been me and my antsy nature. And I really love Patrick Bowers stepdaught ...more
Melanie
Nov 16, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading 'The Pawn' I couldn't wait to read this thriller & I wasn't disappointed. Steven James is great at writing books that hold my attention throughout the entire book.

Patrick Bower's step-daughter, Tessa, is a vegetarian/vegan for humane reasons, which I found interesting since I am a vegan.

'The Rook' is filled with twists and turns that kept me guessing until the end. Throughout this book I tried to figure out who 'Shade' was, but without success.

The ending of 'The Rook', wow, it
Julie Graves
Jun 24, 2015 Julie Graves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Patrick Bowers has taken his step-daughter Tessa with him to San Diego to work on a series of arsons. Tessa and Pat are still trying to work out a relationship as father/daughter. Tessa is 17 and wanting independence, but with the work that Patrick does he knows the evil that is out there waiting for young women.

The arson cases and a government secret soon collide with each other and has the FBI and local authorities working against the clock to find a woman who only has hours left to live.

Lien-
J.S. Bailey
Oct 14, 2013 J.S. Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd just like to say that Steven James has great talent for creating and drawing out suspense. And I like his characters, too. I think Tessa might be my favorite. :)
T.E. George
Jun 23, 2009 T.E. George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
When I reviewed Steven James’ debut novel, The Pawn, I hesitated giving it five stars because I wanted to leave room in case the author proved to be more than a one hit wonder. I give The Rook four and a half stars only because I know, The Knight comes out in September. I feel quite sure this writer has several more turns at bat in his career!

Special Agent Patrick Bowers returns along with his hard-to-love-hard-to-hate stepdaughter, Tessa. I mention her in the same sentence with Patrick because
Debbie
Dec 12, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, thriller
I received this book as a review copy from the publisher. "The Rook" was a well-written, fast-paced forensic/detective thriller. This is the second Patrick Bowers novel, but you don't need to read the first book, "The Pawn," to understand what's going on in this one.

The first novel had a very well-written "who-done-it" element (which I loved), but this book was more a thriller with a good dose of romance. While still a bit dark, "The Rook" wasn't as gruesome as "The Pawn." The crimes and crime s
Dana Griffin
Aug 16, 2012 Dana Griffin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the benefits of coming across an author who’s written several good books is you don’t have to wait a year between readings. This is how I feel about Steven James novels.

Several months ago I read The Pawn, which I loved. I would’ve read the next in the series, The Rook, the next day, but I try not to let one writer’s voice influence my own. Now after reading this book, it’s tempting to break my rule and read the next in the series, The Knight.

Each stand alone book has the same protagonist
Elizabeth Zundel
I didn't like #2 as well as I liked #1 & #3. This story didn't flow quite as easily as the others and it had a more "techno" type plot that didn't really work for me. There were too many people involved in the story and there were some that weren't developed as well as they could have been. Were some of these people involved good, bad, extras? The villians in the other books were very clearly the bad guys. The ending didn't work for me either. It felt sort of forced. I like Tessa as a main c ...more
Angela Bycroft
Feb 10, 2013 Angela Bycroft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Two of the Patrick Bower series gives us another action packed thriller of a tale, guaranteed to get the heart racing and the late night candle burning (if you can handle the scares that late in the night!). Also another chance to get to know Patrick and his daughter Tessa just a little bit better.

Investigating a series of arsons in the city, but with much deeper ramifications with the stealing of a national security weapon being stolen, the tension is palpable. Layer upon layer of plot sl
Cynthia
Nov 04, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Since I read his first novel in the Patrick Bowers series and thought it was okay, I thought I would read his second. It was, again, just okay. What FBI agent travels around with his family in tow? And, what an annoying stepdaughter! What FBI agent, or for that matter anyone with a gun, would first take time to destroy "the device" before going to the aid of a fellow agent? What law enforcement agent would wish he could have cuffed the bad guy instead of letting sharks have their way with him? A ...more
Doreen Dalesandro
Really 2.5 stars.

I listened to this book.

I am quite disappointed with The Rook. Maybe it is because I was so impressed with The Pawn. For my taste, The Rook spends too much time on character development and not enough on plot. The plot is no where near as engaging as that of The Pawn.
Claire H
Aug 17, 2015 Claire H rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
FBI Special Agent Patrick Bowers has been investigating a series of arsons when the latest strike hits a research facility at a U.S. naval base. With his own criminology research being turned against him and one of the world's most deadly devices missing, Bowers is caught up in a race against time to stop an international assassin before it's too late.

I won't get into the plot; it's pretty much the above except with lots of symbolic rubbish thrown in to make this book feel weightier and more ser
Ryanxpauls
Dec 11, 2014 Ryanxpauls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Rook", the second book in the series of The Patrick Bowers Files is packed full of mind bending twists that will only leave you with more predictions that will turn out wrong almost every single time because it is a mind bending book.

As with the first book in the series, there were many positive feels illuminating from it, but this time conflicts rise. It is much harder to catch an arsonist because the evidence is left literally in ashes. We're looking at a theme of everyone is under someo
Dustin
Oct 13, 2008 Dustin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Steven James has built a compelling storyline (Continuing on the story of Patrick Bowers in "The Pawn") based on deep character development, high tech know-how, and being able to convey the fine-line walked between being a criminal and knowing how to catch one.

My favorite line in the book is: "Love that's too timid to ache isn't love at all"

Can't wait for "The Knight" coming out Summer 2009.
Feb 07, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Creepy, creepy, creepy, creepy. Very good, of course, but very creepy. It was a little darker than the first book, and I got somewhat annoyed that there was Danger! on every side, and in every B plot, but good. I might need to take a break and get some lighter reading in before I attempt the next book in the series.
Jerry
Apr 19, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking turns between creepy, intense, heart-breaking, and (to a lesser degree) light-hearted, The Rook is a great follow-up to The Pawn. I'm interested to see where Mr. James takes the story from here; the ending definitely leaves room for a sequel, so my curiosity is piqued.
AlegnaB
4.4 -- This was another dark and disturbing but interesting and suspenseful book. I will continue listening to books in this series, but I think I need to listen to lighter, happier fare for a bit before starting the next book in the series.
Susan
Mar 23, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I'm getting a little put out that this author has no trouble in describing despicable acts of violence but allows no cussing or sex in his writing. One reviewer mentioned that he was a "Christian" author. I don't understand this thought process...
Barbara Brink
Oct 20, 2011 Barbara Brink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story from Steven James! Although I liked the first one a bit more, this one kept me on the edge of my seat as well. I look forward to getting my hands on the next in the series.
Lawrence Brennan
Trying too hard

I loved the first book. it both kept me up till the early morning hours, but also kept me guessing. With this the second Bowers novel, it was a case of stuffing 10 pounds into a 1 pound sack. It was a case of too much story, with too many characters to get "pages" of attention, as it saying "guys remember me? Don't forget about." And, while I won't spoil anything for future readers, but Shade was too "perfect."Almost like the author remembered he had this character in the shadows.
Clarissa
Jan 13, 2015 Clarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant in its own right, The Rook continues in boasting nail biting suspense. Although I feel the pace did slow down a bit, it was just as satisfying.

I remember wondering what Steven would come up with since the first book packed quite a punch with several story lines,.but this was great. The story itself was defined and unique. The characters were also well developed. I enjoyed getting blown away by Patrick Bowers intellect and Tessa's snark and witty self. Sometimes I just didn't understan
Leslie
Jan 26, 2015 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT BOOK!!!!
I apologize in advance for the length of my reviews, whether they be long or short, or lacking the feel of real literary reviews.
The continuation of the Bowers story is very intriguing. His interaction with his stepdaughter Tessa and the connection they share humanizes the character, and you can't help but root for the two as they struggle to get through their tumultuous lives with only each other for real support. The twists in the storyline and the experiences shared between th
Allison
Oct 03, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Pamela Jordan
Oct 08, 2010 Pamela Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read!
Grantclark
Oct 09, 2014 Grantclark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in James' saga was not a let down. Steven takes four different mysteries and combines them to one much larger mystery. This is one of the few books that I haven't been able to solve. Patrick Bowers is the main character and he is a government employed detective. James makes references to two of his favorite detectives himself. I think that Bowers is a combination of Dupin (Poe) and Holmes (Doyle). Pat is called to San Diego to investigate a mysterious arsonist. There's also the q ...more
Fri.'s thought 2 35 Apr 27, 2012 12:04PM
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • Chop Shop (Bug Man, #2)
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Blood Lines (NCIS, #3)
  • The Trial
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
Steven James is a national bestselling novelist whose award-winning, pulse-pounding thrillers continue to gain wide critical acclaim and a growing fan base.

After consulting with a former undercover FBI agent and doing extensive research on cybercrimes, Steven wrote his latest thriller, EVERY CROOKED PATH--a taut, twist-filled page turner that is available now wherever books are sold.

If you've nev
More about Steven James...

The Patrick Bowers Files (8 books)
  • The Pawn (The Patrick Bowers Files, #1)
  • The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files, #3)
  • The Bishop (The Patrick Bowers Files, #4)
  • The Queen (Patrick Bowers Files, #5)
  • The King (Patrick Bowers Files, #6)
  • Checkmate (Patrick Bowers, #7)
  • Every Crooked Path (The Bowers Files #8)

“When you get the coffee from the store, does it come in a great big metal can?'

He beamed. 'Absolutely.'

That was all I needed to hear. "Tea. A cup of tea.”
2 likes
“Part of living is acknowledging people’s pain and grief, but not letting it take over your heart. Though it’s always nighttime in the depths, the waves still reflect the day.” 0 likes