Start by marking “Charles Dickens: Five Novels” as Want to Read:
Charles Dickens: Five Novels

Charles Dickens: Five Novels

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,493 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Five Novels, Complete and Unabridged: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfi, by Dickens, Charles
Published May 24th 2010 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about Charles Dickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charles Dickens

Mimi
3½ stars

This leather-bound Dickens collection is a must-have for any Dickens fan and any fan of Victorian England. It looks great on the shelf, especially next to those other leather-bound classics, if you have any. The novels included are:A Christmas Carol, A Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist.

A better review can be found at Wordpress and Booklikes.
Nina
I first started reading Dickens in junior high. My literature teacher Mrs. Porter suggested Oliver Twist. In English we read A Tale of Two Cities. My French ancestry made this especially interesting. I was hooked. I spent many mornings before school reading in that junior high library. I love how good triumphs over evil, but not until tremendous trial has been gone through. From Oliver Twist to Great Expectations one is never disappointed. Mr. Dickens is amazing and addictive.
Caroline Åsgård
This 1500-page baby is the 200th book I rate here on Goodreads! It's the biggest book I own (so far), and I've spent a good while on it, for obvious reasons (Edit: Actually only exactly two months, and I was away for vacation for one, lol). It's been a nice journey!

Here are my reviews on each of the five novels in this collection:
Oliver Twist
A Christmas Carol
David Copperfield
A Tale Of Two Cities
Great Expectations

I guess if you check out all of my reviews on those, there's not much more to say!
I
I hated Great Expectations in high school so I was skeptical of this, but I'm a sucker for a nicely bound edition of classic works so I gave it a try. Dickens was far more entertaining reading it as an adult than it was as a kid.
Inkpenshmee
David Copperfield is gong and tedious. Story resolutions do not merit the effort it takes to get to them -- do not let the first 200 pages fool you with their promises. I would recommend reading anything else by Dickens -- even and especially Bleak House -- before picking up this 600-page, slow-paced monstrosity.
Mandy
I can't believe I finished this classic! If you're like me you might want to keep a dictionary handy. I found the reading laborious but beautifully written. Well worth the time and effort!
Mette
"Oliver Twist": Have not read.

"A Christmas Carol": *****

"David Copperfield": Have not read.

"A Tale of Two Cities": Have not read.

"Great Expectations": Have not read.
Melinda
I read David Copperfield and found it delightful. I had no idea I would like it so much. I'm taking a break from Mr. Dickens but can't wait to read some of his other stuff.
Elise
Jul 26, 2010 Elise marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Dickens is my favorite English writer! No one better for social commentary, history, character development. He takes real effort to read but his writing is pure treasure.
Tyrene
Though I didn't read this exact version, I have read these all unabridged and these are probably my top five favorite Dickens works.
Mike
This was my first post-high school Dickens and it is incredible! - That guy could write - Highly recommend
Nivas
Charles Dickens is one of the finest authors from England. Read these books in school. Timeless classics
Cassie
Oct 31, 2009 Cassie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've read Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, and A Tale of Two Cities - working on the other two :)
Nikolina Hansen
I can't believe I never read this sooner. It really is a great book. Highly recommended.
Nikolina Hansen
I don't know why it has taken me so long to read this classic. It is very good.
Amber Holmes
David Copperfield and/or Great Expectations. A Tale of Two Cities is it's own item.
Chiyomi
Wonderful stories to get a feel for history and the era! Great for rainy-day reading!
Zac
So far, Dicken's amazing story telling shines through so well. Great author.
Samana
well all books r gr8 i m inspired
Michelle
Not my favorite Dickens book.
Rod
Jan 29, 2008 Rod marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The last time I read this was for an 8th grade book report; maybe it'll be better 15 years later.
Karol Becker
Karol Becker is currently reading it
Nov 26, 2014
Helen Park
Helen Park marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Yonatan Cudilleiro
Yonatan Cudilleiro marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • Jane Austen Seven Novels
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics)
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • Seven Novels
  • Dracula and Other Horror Stories
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works (Halcyon Classics)
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • Jane Eyre / Les Hauts de Hurle-Vent / Agnes Grey
  • Classic Fairy Tales
  • Slab City Blues: The Ballad of Bad Jack
  • The Complete Fiction
  • Snap
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Anne Rice)
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • Jade
A prolific 19th Century author of short stories, plays, novellas, novels, fiction and non-fiction; during his lifetime Dickens became known the world over for his remarkable characters, his mastery of prose in the telling of their lives, and his depictions of the social classes, morals and values of his times. Some considered him the spokesman for the poor, for he definitely brought much awarenes ...more
More about Charles Dickens...
A Tale of Two Cities Great Expectations A Christmas Carol Oliver Twist David Copperfield

“Be natural my children. For the writer that is natural has fulfilled all the rules of art."

(Last words, according to Dickens's obituary in The Times.)”
35 likes