Start by marking “The Birthright” as Want to Read:
The Birthright

The Birthright (Song of Acadia #3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,831 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Book 3 in the Song of Acadia. Facing the threat of war, can two families be united in peace amid the heartbreak?
Published January 1st 2001 by Bethany House Publishers (first published December 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Birthright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Birthright

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“The Thread Binding Them Together As Sisters Is All Too Fragile...
The bittersweet reunion of the Robichaud family and the Harrows in the land of the Acadians has brought two mothers and two daughters full circle. They rekindle those early bonds and experience restoration of those lost years, but time and tragedy have left their indelible imprints on all who have endured the decades of separation and uncertainty. Moving forward with their lives now means further farewells--not a
Olivia
And thus the series continues...

Nicole and Anne's lives change drastically. Nicole moves to England to become Viscountness for her uncle Charles, and Anne suffers a dreadful loss in her life. I could understand Nicole's character a lot. She doesn't know what is expected of her life. Even at the end she does not know what holds for her in the future, which brings you to book four!

When I read this series for the first time three years ago, book three was my favorite. I still really enjoyed it, but
Melissa
After being reunited with her birth parents in Nova Scotia and after saying a tearful goodbye to her Louisiana parents, Nicole has a yearning for more. She and Anne become close friends and Nicole loves her parents, but there is something calling to her, dividing her allegiance. Her Uncle Charles has asked for her to go to England and become his heir, and she considers doing just that. After prayer and consideration, she decides to leave.

England is a contrast to all she's ever known . . . its gl
Pam
Feb 09, 2016 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3
Terri
Apr 26, 2016 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During a long day of solo driving I started and finished this audio book and besides keeping me awake, it entertained and uplifted me. I liked the emphasis on trying to do your duty and doing your best to follow what God would have you do. I also like the continued theme of relying on God during the tough times in life. In this book, Nicole agrees to travel to England to learn how to become her uncle Charles' heir. Her "sister" Anne faces a tragedy that almost overwhelms her before she finds ren ...more
Rachel
The charming conclusion in the Songs of Acadia series. Nicole finally takes her uncle up on his offer to stay with him at the Harrow estate in England, yet her heart is still torn between her new-found family home and this burning desire within her. As she adjusts to her new lifestyle as Viscountess Nicole Harrow, with all the airs and graces, society and politics, she puts her whole effort into seeking God's further direction and purpose for her life.

“She felt more whole, more at peace with wh
Mom
Sep 25, 2014 Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved being swept away into this time period - to live in a grand mansion and have servants to take care of your every desire. Plus, wearing the pretty dresses and attending all the balls and teas. I would not have liked to travel as they did though - in a carriage over land (rough, bumpy and slow) or on a sailboat over the seas (not like the ocean liners of today). The ending was a pleasant surprise and twist to the story. Nicole and Anne have such a wonderful relationship and a very kind Uncle ...more
Nadine Keels
Aug 15, 2014 Nadine Keels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts on the entire series.

With these novels, I joined the ranks of readers who know what it is to be in the midst of a series, waiting, even with bated breath, for the next book in the series to be published.

I appreciate the style and language that Bunn clearly brought into this co-written historical fiction saga with Oke. I remember being totally engrossed and on edge during a certain crucial stretch in The Meeting Place and was floored by the unembellished end to that nerve-racking rush: “
Donna
Jun 28, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015challenge
I read this book not knowing that is was part of a series until after I already started it. Although the book can be read on it's own, it does leave some questions about their back story that I am assuming can be learned in the other books. I really liked this book but the whole way thru I was trying to figure out how the girls became switched in the 1st place (especially during that time period). I will just have to find a copy of the other books to find out, I guess.
Anzie Layton Jethro
5 stars, Beautifully written, captivating

The Song of Acadia series, written by Janette Ole, T Davis Bunn is OUTSTANDING.
The story wraps it as around your heart and you become part of the adventure of the Familes involved. There circumstances in life brings many trials and much joy as they lean on GODS love and guidance. Many lessons can be learned and shared through their life in the beginning of the colonies and the hardship of war. The adventures of characters, it is so real. A Must read.
Truitti
Apr 25, 2015 Truitti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy Faith based novels. Not so much when everything is chunky dorey regardless of the circumstances. I am enjoying the entire series so far because the characters are a little more realistic, expressing doubts, wondering if they are doing what is correct, and being human by making human choices. I bought this novel via Kindle
Amy Riccio
Feb 21, 2014 Amy Riccio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment in this series. Honestly, I felt more connected to this one than the sequel in the series. There was more historical content, which is a plus for me, and I felt like I really connected with the characters and the time period. I loved how the characters really displayed God's heart.
Laurie
May 11, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book #3 of the Song of Acadiana. Christian historical novel set in England just before the Revolutionary War. Very good. Enjoyed the storyline. Religious discussions and growing faith of the characters were foremost in the story. Not at all preachy as I found book #2 to be.
Noemi Goodson
Jun 25, 2014 Noemi Goodson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book I couldn't put it down. I really enjoy reading from Janette Oke I have read quite a lot of her books. This one in particular I read a while back. Noemi Goodson
Debby Baumgartner
Third book in the series where Nicole and Anne arrive in England at the beginning of the American Revolution to stay at Uncle Charles's estate. Will Nicole become his heir? Will Anne recover from the death of her husband?
Elaine
Feb 05, 2015 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat disappointed that the setting is now England, but the message of seeking God's will is still strong and appreciated.
Linda Wilson
Jul 31, 2015 Linda Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this about a week ago and it was a wonderful read... a little bit of a twist of the plot which was a delight.
Phyllis C
May 05, 2014 Phyllis C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-best
The story of the daughters moves on to England. Still captivating!
Shiloh
I appreciated the History in this book. Very interesting.
Loraine
I really like this series. I like the author's talent in being able to continue a story from mothers to daughters, with ease and finesse. Usually, when a book moves from the main character(s) to their children, or other people and continues the saga, I either don't like it, wish it would end, or get bored. In this case, however, I'm just as interested in the daughter's lives as I was in their mothers, in previous books. I don't know what the difference is, but it works. I will finish the series. ...more
Debby Baumgartner
Great series on the Acadia area of Canada.
Jenny Preston
I'm really enjoying this series. The authors did a beautiful job of developing authentic, believable characters. I love seeing their struggles and successes with living a faith that's real. Now, that said, this particular book (#3 of 5) was not my favorite. The plot was way predictable and the ending tied up too neatly and too far fetched for my taste. But the characters completely compensate for lackluster plot :) I wish I could have a conversation with Anne and Nicole!
Cheryl
Mar 06, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book felt a bit like filler at times. The plot points, like the other books, were predictable and convenient. I did like the English setting which made it much more interesting than it would have been otherwise. However, I felt like the authors phoned it in a bit with the English social scenes. The "twist" at the ending made me roll my eyes too.
Claire
The beginning of this book was better then the second half. I felt it was tapered off and became a little boring. I continue to enjoy this series but this one just fell flat for me.
I liked how the author continues to add new elements to each book, making them separate and how they don't run together in my memory.

Amy
Sep 10, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara
Feb 19, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by the twist of events at the very end of the book. Nicole was freed from what she thought was her duty to her uncle as his heir, & Charles Harwood discovered that Anne's little son John was tied to him through blood in such a way that he could become the legal heir. A total unexpected ending.
Jan 11, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I enjoy this series because of it's simple, clean approach. The love of sisters, the peace that comes when you're mindful of Heavenly Father's plan, love gained and lost. I don't stay up all night reading, but I do look forward to reading it.
Yaz *The Reading Girl*
The Birthright is one of the very good books from this awesome series Song of Acadia. I really loved the whole series. I just loved it. It was nice and wonderful and awesome. Really good book just like the rest.
Sonia
So far this whole series has been interesting, but slightly dragging. :) To be blunt and confusing...boring and interesting at the same time. if that means anything at all to you.;)
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • My Father's World (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #1)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • The Rescue (The English Garden, #2)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)
  • The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles #4)
  • Pearl (Dakotah Treasures, #2)
  • Jerusalem's Heart (The Zion Legacy, #3)
  • Kansas Brides: Stranger's Bride/Never a Bride/Bittersweet Bride/His Brother's Bride
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Song of Acadia (5 books)
  • The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)
  • The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia, #2)
  • The Distant Beacon (Song of Acadia, #4)
  • The Beloved Land (Song of Acadia, #5)