Start by marking “Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing and Business” as Want to Read:
Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing and Business

Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing and Business

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  962 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Mutual-fund superstar Peter Lynch and author John Rothchild explain the basic principles of the stock market and business in an investing guide that will enlighten and entertain anyone who is high-school age or older.

Many investors, including some with substantial portfolios, have only the sketchiest idea of how the stock market works. The reason, say Lynch and Rothchild,
Published January 25th 1996 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Learn to Earn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learn to Earn

Richard Stephenson
May 05, 2011 Richard Stephenson rated it liked it
I would recommend this one - especially to High School young adults. Note: it's a bit behind-the-times, but the philosophies presented are timeless.

I was almost turned away once I found out it was written for a bit younger crowd, but I gave it a chance and was pleased with the results. There is a ton of history, good examples, and conversational-style lessons taught in a pleasing manner. Since I had *0* experience with investing stuffs, this beginners approach was useful for me.

...and BIG kudos
Yoga Prakasa
Jul 23, 2008 Yoga Prakasa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Investing beginners
Shelves: finance
This book holds sentimental value to me, for it introduced me to the world of investment. A world which, later, not only becomes a personal interest but also a professional one. I started my first investment in stocks and mutual funds shortly after I finished the book. Fast forward, I started my career five years later in an Indonesian state-owned investment bank in the equity research department.

In this book, Peter Lynch starts with a brief history of what would become Corporate America and lat
Shunnosuke Yelich Kanematsu
Jun 07, 2015 Shunnosuke Yelich Kanematsu rated it it was amazing
This book is a great for kids to read and understand the concept of investing. In this book, the author is Peter Lynch, who is an investing mastermind. Lynch graduated from Boston College in 1965 with a degree in finance. He served two years in the military before attending and graduating from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania with a Master of Business Administration in 1968. As you can probably guess, yes, he is one of the richest people in this planet. Everything the book me ...more
Shubham Kansal
Mar 14, 2016 Shubham Kansal rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It introduced me to the world of investing. It was the first book that I read on investing. Since, the book was written in the early 90s, the examples taken by Mr. Lynch would sound somewhat old to you but they will still give you a fair idea of what he is trying to teach
you. The principles taught by him in the book are still valid today. he has explained everything in such an easy way that you would be able to relate to everything easily although the book is written from
Dio Aufa Handoyo
Apr 14, 2015 Dio Aufa Handoyo rated it really liked it
Great intro book for beginners. Written in layman's terms with some practical items included. Presents a compelling case for capitalism. It would be interesting to see an analysis on how the arguments for going long on stocks holds up after the 1999 and 2008 crises, due to the great volatility history has shown.
Carrie Little-bey
Dec 31, 2015 Carrie Little-bey rated it really liked it
Great book. This one I have to read a few times. Definitely a great book for new investors.
Kelly Rincon
Aug 10, 2015 Kelly Rincon rated it really liked it
While this book was not perfect, I'm giving it 4 stars because I think everyone should read it, or at least a book like it. It does a great job as a primer on capitalism, businesses, and the basics of investing.

The two authors are both unabashed capitalists, wholly in favor of the system. This makes sense, as Peter Lynch made countless millions in the stock market, and John Rothschild wrote about the financial system for years. Some of their pro-capitalism passages were a little tough for me to
Eugene Tan
Aug 25, 2015 Eugene Tan rated it really liked it
Shelves: financial
A real classic book, written more than 20 years ago, in 1995!

As the book title suggests, "A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing and Business", this book was written, assuming that the reader has absolutely no prior knowledge of Investing and Business. It is mainly targeted at teenagers to young working adults, who are beginning to explore the financial world.

Despite it being an extremely novice book, I had chosen to give it 4/5 stars for the sheer simplicity that the book has in conveyi
Dhruv Goel
Dec 25, 2014 Dhruv Goel rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
It's starting chapter "A Brief History of Capitalism" was amazing. Well, it starts and end with the history of US, but if we look from the point of view of businesses, it tells the story of several failed and many prosperous enterprises. By only reading this chapter you come to know how demand changed and so the companies around, how people tried to bend the law and how that was rectified, what important legislation was created to implement a liberal economy with minimal harm to public, like lif ...more
Srinivas
Jun 08, 2010 Srinivas is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book was practically thrust on me during my last trip off the grid. I was so reluctant to read it that I started randomly at some page. That page had interesting anecdotes from history, and I was hooked. Well, I'm always game for a good story :)
It talked about a lot of historical events; how the pilgrims got their financing to reach the 'New World', how they practically established the American way of life; How Thomas Jefferson's views on banking were completely wrong, and how an on-the-run
Anna
Dec 09, 2007 Anna rated it liked it
I got a job working for the Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund and felt that I should read something by the guy who started it all, for good measure. It was a quick read. Likeable, but simple.

The first part is a history of Capitalism in the U.S. It's okay, but far inferior to John Steele Gordon's "An Empire of Wealth: The Epic History of American Economic Power." If you're interested in this subject, don't even bother reading Lynch's version.

The rest, about investing in good companies, what makes a
Rolling Ideas
Apr 12, 2016 Rolling Ideas rated it it was amazing
It's a fantastic read - even a family read for Lynch's daughters.The book's on the overall mechanism of the stock market. The method of value investing entails the positive trajectory of healthy and undervalued firms even through turmoils. The economic culture is unpredictable, just like weather. Rather than betting on the market, it's better to "research the firm, interact and act upon it." For young readers, this book entails histories of stock market, a few exemplary stocks through recessions ...more
Nick
Jan 23, 2015 Nick rated it it was amazing
I read this book twice, at the age of 9 and 13 (as it was recommended to me by my father, of course). English is not my mother tongue and despite the lack of fluency at that age I was still able to understand absolutely everything in that book and take away the most important message. It is, in my humble opinion, one of the best books out there for people with no particular knowledge of finance/investing to understand the fundamental basics of investing with equities. In addition to that, the bo ...more
Josh Kelly
May 17, 2011 Josh Kelly rated it liked it
Written in an annoyingly elementary in style but the content was actually pretty interesting. Lynch and rothchild are right, perhaps because my Econ teacher in high school was terrible, that I didn't have a basic history of capitalism or an understanding of the life of a successful company. Also their section in appendix 2 on how to read a balance sheet was really useful. I recommend this book for anyone who doesn't have a basic understanding of capitalism, te stock market, corporations, or econ ...more
Hemant Manwani
Jun 04, 2013 Hemant Manwani rated it liked it
nice book for beginners, it will not teach you any technical analysis and general human response to market behaviour in depth. But it is definitely good introduction to financial markets. One should go through it, as this book is contains good description of US success stories.

one chapter of this book is completely dedicated to economic history of US, which is a nice information one should go through.

Over all i really liked this book.
Zaltwater Taffy:)
Sep 28, 2007 Zaltwater Taffy:) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love their fancy cars
Learn to Earn was more of a story/lecture on how to delay instant gratification. It teaches you about pateince, and as my Dad likes to quote, to "try and have enough discipline to wait for the second marshmallow." (you have to read the book to understand this). It gives good examples of how so many people spend their money to impress people with things they want, but don't really need. It teaches you the wisdom of "living beneath your means."
Juan Guerrero Martinez
Great

it was a great book, the first book I have read. I been studying the stock market for a year and a half since I have no money and knew many things about but this book made me open my mind a bit more. Good thing I read this book, I'm going to keep reading before I put money in the market . I recommend this book to anyone who is interested being a shareholder.
Abhinay
Jan 11, 2015 Abhinay rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
This book has a very easy going tone to it and though it dates back to 1995, I've found the historical parts very informative. That apart, Peter Lynch shares a lot of examples with regard to different paradigms in investing, with a final message advising us to think for the longer term. So there you go, no scalping :)
Gopinath Manchikanti
Oct 02, 2014 Gopinath Manchikanti rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book and the apt name would be ' History and Basics of Stocks'
Coz it goes way back in the history when capitalism was born and how it emerged into multi trillion dollar market.
This book gives basic understanding of a lot of things a beginner investor should know.
Definitely worth reading.
Mark Powell
Mar 26, 2008 Mark Powell rated it liked it
I agree with Peter, bonds are not where it's at. I would disagree with him on one thing though; you CAN time the market. That's how all those Wallstreeters get rich. There's really only one rule: "buy low, sell high!" The term "long term horizons" is meant simply one you use when your investing someone else's money...
Scott
Apr 06, 2013 Scott rated it liked it
A good primer for the history of capitalism in America, but is more of a 'rah-rah - go stock investing!' kind of book. Interesting though! The exuberance of the 90s is clear throughout, and the tone is for high schoolers - perfect if there are questions about how the stock market works.
Dhaval
Sep 08, 2013 Dhaval rated it really liked it
This is a basic premier to fundamentals of investing. Some of the sections are outdated, but most of the basic concepts are valuable. Its a must read for anyone looking to get started with studying the stock market, or someone who heads a head start to start investing.
Christopher
Apr 01, 2016 Christopher rated it liked it
Great book for a high schooler who has no idea how the markets work or their historical significance to our nation.

As a means of basic info, it works well. Unfortunately for me, it was a little too basic. Very light reading, but enjoyable anyways.
Gmarik
Apr 03, 2015 Gmarik rated it it was ok
Shelves: fin
Very gentle introduction into world of business. Didn't learn much, but it'd be a good introduction book to start with

The author dislikes communists and is a big fan of US government from business perspective.
Josip
Mar 30, 2015 Josip rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
A good book to learn the basics of capitalism and the stock market. If you are expecting some magic tips about stock picking you'll be disappointed. The number one suggestion is patience and buying when nobody else is.
Stephen Pike
Great information spread throughout the book. The back story of the stock market was very interesting although at times I felt I was getting more of a history lesson than learning about stocks.
Qingwei Zhang
Feb 29, 2016 Qingwei Zhang rated it it was amazing
I think this book worth reading, everyone who interested in investments should read it. I am kinda regret that it is a bit late for me to know this book. Anyway, I will recommend it to you.
Jeremy
Feb 24, 2008 Jeremy rated it liked it
Solid introduction into the world of the stock-market. A somewhat lengthy and seemingly unnecessary introduction into the history of the stock market, but interesting nonetheless.
Stacy Boyd
Honestly, I couldn't make it through this book. The Shock Doctrine was too much in my mind. I couldn't buy the whole "capitalism makes the world a better place" idea. Oh, well.
Jonathan Perez
Nov 21, 2014 Jonathan Perez rated it it was amazing
Solid reminder of the importance of thinking independently. I just love how Peter lynch's is down to earth about everything and explains the basics simply.
  • The Little Book of Value Investing
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Warren Buffett Speaks: Wit and Wisdom from the World's Greatest Investor
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • The Aggressive Conservative Investor
  • Buffettology: The Previously Unexplained Techniques That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most Famous Investor
  • Theory of Investment Value
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor
  • A Short History of Financial Euphoria
  • The Little Book That Still Beats the Market
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • Contrarian Investment Strategies: The Classic Edition
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • The Psychology of Trading: Tools and Techniques for Minding the Markets
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
Peter Lynch is an American businessman and stock investor. Lynch graduated from Boston College in 1965 and earned a Master of Business Administration from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1968.

Lynch worked at Fidelity Investments where named head of the then obscure Magellan Fund which had $18 million in assets. By the time Lynch resigned as a fund manager in 1990, the fund
More about Peter Lynch...

“A person who owns property and has a stake in the enterprise is likely to work harder and feel happier and do a better job than a person who doesn” 0 likes
“Debt is saving in reverse. The more it builds up, the worse off you are.” 0 likes