Start by marking “Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators” as Want to Read:
Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators

Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Motivating Students Who Don t Care is a comprehensive and practical guide for reconnecting with discouraged students and reawakening their excitement and enthusiasm for learning. With proven strategies from the classroom, this resource identifies five effective processes the reader can use to reawaken motivation in students who aren t prepared, don t care, and won t work. ...more
Published (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Motivating Students Who Don't Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motivating Students Who Don't Care

Cathy
This is an excellent little guide for teachers. It gives very simple but powerful techniques to help motivate students who do not care about school. I read this every August and it is truly effective and a gem.
David Stephens
Educator and school psychologist Allen Mendler attempts to give some quick tips—in a brief sixty-five pages—on how to motivate lethargic students lest they burn teachers out in his book Motivating Students Who Don’t Care. He reminds readers that everyone is born curious and motivated until he or she learns to be otherwise and lists three common causes of students’ lack of motivation: their desire to maintain independence, to cover perceived incompetence, and depression. These are definitely impo ...more
Wendy
A very good book for new teachers that emphasizes much of what I believe is important for motivating students. Creating relationships is absolutely essential. Just as adults don't like being a number in the DMV line, kids don't want to be a number at school. Unfortunately, this book really is targeted to high school when the problem of low motivation starts much younger. The author also seems to believe the mumbo jumbo that some students don't work because they are bored. It is easier to say you ...more
Patricia
Very short book(65 pgs) with five different approaches to get students to learn what you want to teach them. The approaches are:
* Emphasize Effort
* Creating Hope
* Respecting Power
* Building Relationships
* Expressing Enthusiasm
Within these approaches are some good tips such as working two minutes per day for 10 days to build a relationship with the student and telling the chronically late student that though you will probably keep bringing the issue up, you are happy to have him/her the 50 m
Ahmad Nazeri
Pretty good strategies with action steps at the end of each chapter. Quick read.
Marty
I'm not the proper audience. also while I agree with some of the ideals expressed, I think it lacks nitty gritty. I always hate it when a teaching book says and gee so you measure and there's your math content as if measuring is all there is.....
Allison
A very quick read with some good ideas. Most of it is pretty much "duh" but it did reinforce some things and gave reasons as to why. As with most of education theory, you can't really get to specific because each student and situation is different.
Julie Aquilina
Very short book. Hence, only skims the surface of engagement / behaviour management techniques. In fact, most were teacher mind-set modification suggestions. However, did pull a couple strategies for my toolbox.
Tama
Oct 31, 2010 Tama is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this one to help get ideas on how to motivate middle school students who really care. So far it is just a reminder of what the kids are looking for - interesting and applicable lessons.
Debbie
I was hoping for insight and suggestions to use with apathetic students (a growing problem). I was disappointed as I didn't feel this book really had much to offer.
Kellee
Many of this book was strategies I already use, but he also gave me many new great ideas. A wonderful resource for teachers teaching unmotivated students.
Dioscita
My principal gave us all a copy of this book (it's more like a booklet of approximately 70 pages) as a common complaint in my building is "student apathy."
Anne Sleeman
Could have applications to parenting too. This book gave me some ideas to use when creating library information sessions for our CCBC students.
Hastingsp
geat useful tools; i've tried some of his techniques with success....
Jessica Kauzlarich
Jessica Kauzlarich marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Jennifer Raymond
Jennifer Raymond marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Ryan Elliot
Ryan Elliot marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Alyce
Alyce marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Maureen Findlay
Maureen Findlay is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
When Teaching Gets Tough: Smart Ways to Reclaim Your Game Connecting with Students Power Struggles What Do I Do When...? How to Achieve Discipline with Dignity in the Classroom Discipline with Dignity for Challenging Youth