Start by marking “Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators” as Want to Read:
Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators

Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Motivating Students Who Don t Care is a comprehensive and practical guide for reconnecting with discouraged students and reawakening their excitement and enthusiasm for learning. With proven strategies from the classroom, this resource identifies five effective processes the reader can use to reawaken motivation in students who aren t prepared, don t care, and won t work. ...more
Published (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Motivating Students Who Don't Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motivating Students Who Don't Care

This is an excellent little guide for teachers. It gives very simple but powerful techniques to help motivate students who do not care about school. I read this every August and it is truly effective and a gem.
David Stephens
Educator and school psychologist Allen Mendler attempts to give some quick tips—in a brief sixty-five pages—on how to motivate lethargic students lest they burn teachers out in his book Motivating Students Who Don’t Care. He reminds readers that everyone is born curious and motivated until he or she learns to be otherwise and lists three common causes of students’ lack of motivation: their desire to maintain independence, to cover perceived incompetence, and depression. These are definitely impo ...more
A very good book for new teachers that emphasizes much of what I believe is important for motivating students. Creating relationships is absolutely essential. Just as adults don't like being a number in the DMV line, kids don't want to be a number at school. Unfortunately, this book really is targeted to high school when the problem of low motivation starts much younger. The author also seems to believe the mumbo jumbo that some students don't work because they are bored. It is easier to say you ...more
Very short book(65 pgs) with five different approaches to get students to learn what you want to teach them. The approaches are:
* Emphasize Effort
* Creating Hope
* Respecting Power
* Building Relationships
* Expressing Enthusiasm
Within these approaches are some good tips such as working two minutes per day for 10 days to build a relationship with the student and telling the chronically late student that though you will probably keep bringing the issue up, you are happy to have him/her the 50 m
Jessica Lynn
This was an excellent, quick read that I would recommend for any new teacher. I say new teacher because most of this seasoned teachers probably already know or do.
A few good insights, but a lot of it was obviously true.
Ahmad Nazeri
Pretty good strategies with action steps at the end of each chapter. Quick read.
I'm not the proper audience. also while I agree with some of the ideals expressed, I think it lacks nitty gritty. I always hate it when a teaching book says and gee so you measure and there's your math content as if measuring is all there is.....
A very quick read with some good ideas. Most of it is pretty much "duh" but it did reinforce some things and gave reasons as to why. As with most of education theory, you can't really get to specific because each student and situation is different.
Julie Aquilina
Very short book. Hence, only skims the surface of engagement / behaviour management techniques. In fact, most were teacher mind-set modification suggestions. However, did pull a couple strategies for my toolbox.
Oct 31, 2010 Tama is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this one to help get ideas on how to motivate middle school students who really care. So far it is just a reminder of what the kids are looking for - interesting and applicable lessons.
I was hoping for insight and suggestions to use with apathetic students (a growing problem). I was disappointed as I didn't feel this book really had much to offer.
Many of this book was strategies I already use, but he also gave me many new great ideas. A wonderful resource for teachers teaching unmotivated students.
My principal gave us all a copy of this book (it's more like a booklet of approximately 70 pages) as a common complaint in my building is "student apathy."
Anne Sleeman
Could have applications to parenting too. This book gave me some ideas to use when creating library information sessions for our CCBC students.
geat useful tools; i've tried some of his techniques with success....
Kelsey Jones
Kelsey Jones marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Jennh879 is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2015
Tiffany Smith
Tiffany Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
martha snider
martha snider marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Christopher Howard
Christopher Howard marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Gina Hiu
Gina Hiu marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Vicki Wong
Vicki Wong marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook
  • Cooperative Learning
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • The First-Year Teacher's Survival Guide: Ready-To-Use Strategies, Tools & Activities for Meeting the Challenges of Each School Day
  • Everyday Editing: Inviting Students to Develop Skill and Craft in Writer's Workshop
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • A Handbook for Classroom Instruction That Works
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • To Teach: The Journey of a Teacher
  • Setting Limits in the Classroom: How to Move Beyond the Dance of Discipline in Today's Classrooms