Start by marking “Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators” as Want to Read:
Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators

Motivating Students Who Don't Care: Successful Techniques for Educators

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Motivating Students Who Don t Care is a comprehensive and practical guide for reconnecting with discouraged students and reawakening their excitement and enthusiasm for learning. With proven strategies from the classroom, this resource identifies five effective processes the reader can use to reawaken motivation in students who aren t prepared, don t care, and won t work. ...more
Published (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Motivating Students Who Don't Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motivating Students Who Don't Care

Cathy
Feb 12, 2014 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent little guide for teachers. It gives very simple but powerful techniques to help motivate students who do not care about school. I read this every August and it is truly effective and a gem.
David Stephens
Educator and school psychologist Allen Mendler attempts to give some quick tips—in a brief sixty-five pages—on how to motivate lethargic students lest they burn teachers out in his book Motivating Students Who Don’t Care. He reminds readers that everyone is born curious and motivated until he or she learns to be otherwise and lists three common causes of students’ lack of motivation: their desire to maintain independence, to cover perceived incompetence, and depression. These are definitely impo ...more
Wendy
A very good book for new teachers that emphasizes much of what I believe is important for motivating students. Creating relationships is absolutely essential. Just as adults don't like being a number in the DMV line, kids don't want to be a number at school. Unfortunately, this book really is targeted to high school when the problem of low motivation starts much younger. The author also seems to believe the mumbo jumbo that some students don't work because they are bored. It is easier to say you ...more
Patricia
Very short book(65 pgs) with five different approaches to get students to learn what you want to teach them. The approaches are:
* Emphasize Effort
* Creating Hope
* Respecting Power
* Building Relationships
* Expressing Enthusiasm
Within these approaches are some good tips such as working two minutes per day for 10 days to build a relationship with the student and telling the chronically late student that though you will probably keep bringing the issue up, you are happy to have him/her the 50 m
Jessica Lynn
Feb 23, 2015 Jessica Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent, quick read that I would recommend for any new teacher. I say new teacher because most of this seasoned teachers probably already know or do.
Jess
Jan 11, 2016 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some great yet simple techniques and excellent reminders of what is really important in the classroom.
Lacey
May 28, 2015 Lacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
A few good insights, but a lot of it was obviously true.
Ahmad Nazeri
Mar 09, 2014 Ahmad Nazeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good strategies with action steps at the end of each chapter. Quick read.
Ned
May 02, 2016 Ned rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب ممتع وفعال
Marty
Nov 24, 2010 Marty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not the proper audience. also while I agree with some of the ideals expressed, I think it lacks nitty gritty. I always hate it when a teaching book says and gee so you measure and there's your math content as if measuring is all there is.....
Allison
Oct 19, 2010 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: helpful
A very quick read with some good ideas. Most of it is pretty much "duh" but it did reinforce some things and gave reasons as to why. As with most of education theory, you can't really get to specific because each student and situation is different.
Julie Aquilina
Jan 01, 2014 Julie Aquilina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
Very short book. Hence, only skims the surface of engagement / behaviour management techniques. In fact, most were teacher mind-set modification suggestions. However, did pull a couple strategies for my toolbox.
Tama
Oct 31, 2010 Tama is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this one to help get ideas on how to motivate middle school students who really care. So far it is just a reminder of what the kids are looking for - interesting and applicable lessons.
Debbie
I was hoping for insight and suggestions to use with apathetic students (a growing problem). I was disappointed as I didn't feel this book really had much to offer.
Kellee
Apr 18, 2013 Kellee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Many of this book was strategies I already use, but he also gave me many new great ideas. A wonderful resource for teachers teaching unmotivated students.
Dioscita
My principal gave us all a copy of this book (it's more like a booklet of approximately 70 pages) as a common complaint in my building is "student apathy."
Anne
Mar 25, 2011 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Could have applications to parenting too. This book gave me some ideas to use when creating library information sessions for our CCBC students.
Hastingsp
Dec 06, 2009 Hastingsp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
geat useful tools; i've tried some of his techniques with success....
Tom Whedbee
Tom Whedbee rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Alyssa Jones
Alyssa Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
No Name
No Name marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Klatann Thomas
Klatann Thomas rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Abdulrahman
Abdulrahman marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Stacey Coburn
Stacey Coburn marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
catie
catie marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Christy Blow
Christy Blow rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2016
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook
  • Cooperative Learning
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Deeper Reading: Comprehending Challenging Texts, 4-12
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains
  • The First-Year Teacher's Survival Guide: Ready-To-Use Strategies, Tools & Activities for Meeting the Challenges of Each School Day
  • Everyday Editing: Inviting Students to Develop Skill and Craft in Writer's Workshop
  • A Handbook for Classroom Instruction That Works
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • The Code: The 5 Secrets of Teen Success
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • Differentiation: From Planning to Practice, Grades 6-12
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions