Start by marking “Bump in the Night (includes In Death, #22.5)” as Want to Read:
Bump in the Night (includes In Death, #22.5)

Bump in the Night (In Death #22.5)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  4,090 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Follow four of today's most provocative authors to a place where love can transform reality--and anything can happen. Here they present stories of ethereal circumstances, magical romance, and otherworldly suspense. Beginning with an all-new tale from #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts writing as J. D. Robb--and featuring lieutenant-of-the-future Eve Dallas-- ...more
Published March 28th 2006 by Jove Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bump in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bump in the Night

Kimz Zahour
So far I've read "Haunted in Death" by JD Robb included in this anthology (I've been looking for that!) but plan to go back and read the other stories by different authors later... I figured I was on vacation and can read only my favorite parts if I wanted to! ;) So far so good...
Finally made time to finish this one.
"Poppy's Coin" was very predictable. I found it boring just waiting for it to unfold, as I was pretty sure it would without giving much thought to the characters.
"The Passenger" was
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
This collection of stories are all about ghosts, imaginary friends, and magic coin. I truly enjoyed all the stories. My review of Haunted in Death will be in the actual book. Here is my review of Poppy's Coin: Poppy is a young girl of nine who wished for father and got it in Major David Lindsey. Poppy's gift to Lindsey is the coin that makes wishes come true. Major David Lindsey saves Lady Grace Anderson from having her clothes ruined. There's an instant attraction but Major Lindsey is attemptin ...more
Kristin Lundgren
This is a short story collection, four of them. I haven't read a romantic collection in years, so it was a flashback for me. The first was part of the Eve Dallas future cop series by JD Robb - hard to get much back story on the characters, and have a mystery, but it was a good read, about an old murder and a new one. A little ghost activity for fun. 2nd one by Mary Blayney was set in Regency England - a basic romantic story with the addition of a "magic" coin that granted wishes. Sweet, charming ...more
The Passenger by Ruth Ryan Langan was my favorite story in this book. This book was about a guy that was a dare devil and the lady was a reporter. The main idea of the story was to get the two to find love.The mother could not cross over until she let her daughter know she was loved and wanted. The Passenger was a great supernatural book. I like how you could relate to Josh and Grace in this story and how they feel to all the supernatural they experience together. A mothers love is that strong.I ...more
Kathy Martin
Haunted in Death by J. D. Robb - I listened to the audio of this one and reviewed it here. It was an entertaining story that had ultra-rational Eve confronting a ghost. I liked the by-play between Eve and Roarke in this one. The story was well-told and well-read.

Poppy's Coin by Mary Blayney -- This is a historical romance centered around a magic coin. A gentleman, short of coin and the guardian to two young children, takes a job as a companion for a rich widow and then has to deal with falling i
Stephanie Tuell
this book contains 4 short stories from mary blayney, j.d. robb, ruth ryan langan, mary kay mccomas.

eve is called to scene of a murder. while searching for answers, she discovers the remains of a missing woman from 85 year before. while searching for her killer, eve is faced with some stuff that she never considered before, and she finds herself question what she sees.

poppy never had a father, but the man that took her in after her mother died was more than she could
The theme for this series is paranormal with some romance. I say some because really Eve Dallas, while romantic, is more futuristic detective than true romance.

Haunted in Death is an Eve Dallas story. There's a murder, there's a skeleton found and theres a story to unravel. There's also strange goings on in the building and Eve remains skeptical while all around her ask if ghosts are real.

Poppy's Coin by Mary Blayney could have lost the framing story of an American abroad and not missed much, ex
Somer Schaffer
I have a dilemma. This book is four stories in one. I disliked two and liked the other two. This was my first time reading Nora Roberts as J.D. Robb and I had my hopes up high, only to be let down. By the time I finished the third story, I thought hers was the worst.

Then I came across the final one; Mellow Lemon Yellow. The girl is stuck with her imaginary friend and having sexual fantasies all while having this 'friend' be her... It's confusing. It's not very good.

Anyway, the first story was ok
Anthology of odd and supernatural romances.
JD Robb's "Haunted in Death" was another chance to read about Eve Dallas and Roarke, but wasn't my favorite Dallas mystery. Eve is faced with a murder that looks to be connected to a 50 year old disappearance and a ghost.
"Poppy's Coin" written by Mary Blayney is a story within a story. The storyteller gives the history of an odd coin seen in a museum.
Ruth Ryan Langan's "The Passenger" is about a couple with no time to deal with the complications of thei
Kathy Davie
Mary Blayney's Poppy's Coin is the first in the Poppy's Coin (my title for this series) series. Very enjoyable.

Ruth Ryan Langan's Passenger was GOOD. Josh crashes with an unexpected passenger prior to the start of a wilderness trek intended to jumpstart a series. Turns out the pass. Was Grace’s mother’s ghost truing to do right by her long-lost daughter.

Mary Kay McComas's Mellow Lemon Yellow was excellent! Talks of the reality of childhood friends and how they are really our own subconscious

J. D
Anna Mcfadden
4 semi - short paranormal stories if you never read books by J. D. Robb, Mary Blayney, Ruth Ryan Langan, and Mary Kay McCombs then this is a great book to start with.
The JD Robb book did not fit with the others in the compilation. As much as I like the In Death series, they are dark. The others could be labeled "cute". In quality they were also dissimilar. "Mellow Lemon Yellow" was worth the read and maybe a second read several years from now when I am rereading my books and have forgotten it. "Poppy's Coin" was ok the first time. "The Passenger" will be marked in the book to not read again.

It's hard to rate a compilation when the qualtiy is so extreme. I al
Michelle Wardhaugh
Jan 05, 2012 Michelle Wardhaugh added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by:
Shelves: have-in-audio
For the most part, this collection was very enjoyable. The first story's only fault in my eyes was that it was too short. I love the characters in this series and love spending time with them. The second story was obviously modern, but it had the details of the Regency Period down well enough that I felt echoes of Jane Austen. The third story was fun if a bit too implausible. The fourth story was much, much too sentimental for my tastes. I know the romance genre has to be optimistic by default, ...more
All four stories were well worth reading.
Molly Ross
First two good, last two lame.
I'm not usually very fond of short stories, but I thought this might be different since it includes a story by J.D. Robbb. However, my original opinion was reconfirmed. It's not the stories that bothered me, but rather the lack of depth that obviously comes with a short story. Also, the third story (The Passenger) was probably my least favorite. Rather than good paranormal, I felt it was just plain weird.
Gina Mora
Haunted in Death has it's own review. I did not reread it.

Poppy's Coin...Loved this story! The kid was adorable. The lady was cute and very naive. I want a windvane with a unicorn on it!! The Major was proud and interesting. And, the side story. I felt that. I wish that I could have stayed in Ireland. Maybe I need a magic coin. I'm waiting, Universe, just send that to me!
J. D. Robb (a.k.a., Nora Roberts) write this FREAKIN' AWESOME (phrase borrowed from my 17-year-old granddaughter) series! There are OVER 30 BOOKS in the series including several short stories in anthologies. My local library owns most of them (more than 1/2 of which I donated so that others could enjoy this series). Looking for a summer challenge? Read this series. You won't regret it.
I got this one because it was next in the In Death series. Robb's story was typical Eve, though abbreviated. There was nothing much special about this one. It was fine, but not outstanding. I went on to attempt the next story, Poppy's Coin. It was BORING. Since I only wanted to read Robb's story anyway, I'm stopping instead of wasting my time with the rest.
DK Hoffman
This was a fun anthology featuring 4 writers - J.D. Robb, Mary Blayney, Ruth Ryan Langan, Mary Kay McComas. The stories are all lightly paranormal, so even someone who didn't care for paranormal would probably enjoy it. I especially loved "Poppy's Coin" by Mary Blayney - it was an incredibly sweet, feel good story that I know I'll read again.
I really liked all of the books in this anthology, but none of them were scary; just paranormal. I chose this book because I've been reading the entire J.D. Robb series in order, and this was the next book in the list. However, I will now be looking up books by the other three authors! I love when that happens. I love anthologies! :)
Sherri Hunter
Only interested in reading Haunted In Death by J.D. Robb. A little different twist on the usual cases we see Dallas and Peabody investigating. This one involves a murder from nearly 100 years ago and a lot of paranormal activity. In spite of the story being short, it managed to draw me in completely and fully hold my interest.
Eve Dallas investigates the killing of a man who was renovating a dance hall of his 20th century ancestor. Also discovered at the scene is the skeleton of his ancestor's girlfriend who went missing. Eve sees the ghost of the woman who helps solve the crime. Short story in a collection of hauntings
Mostly cute stories, but the JD Robb story was as good as her novels. Nora Roberts is just good.
Nice short little ghost story. Interesting and fun. Suspenseful
a pleasant collection of mystical romances. from haunted murders, magical wish coins to adventurous loners being brought together by their dead parents or a dead parent releasing a woman to have the life she wanted even if her childhood imaginary friend has to egg her along
Patricia Solla
This was an interesting collection of stories. Of course from J D Robb Eve Dallas is involved with another of her interesting murders. The others stories were quite interesting too. Thought this was a very good collections of stories by these authors.
  • Moon Shadows
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Only Survivors Tell Tales
  • Seduction Becomes Her (Becomes Her, #2)
  • Hades
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
  • Moon Fever (Includes: Primes, #6.5)
  • Tempting the Wolf (Men Of The Mist #2)
J.D. Robb writes police procedurals set in the near future.

Naked in Death is the first book in what was initially meant to be trilogy about Eve Dallas, a NY police lieutenant with a dark past. In that first book she meets the mysterious Roarke, who is a suspect in the case. By the time the third book in that initial trilogy was in stores readers clamored for more.

Twenty years later, Devoted in Dea
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)