Start by marking “Off the Record” as Want to Read:
Off the Record

Off the Record

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  333 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Judge Laurel Kincade has it all---brains, beauty, and an aristocratic Old South family to back her up. A political rising star, she's ready to announce her candidacy for chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court.
Journalist Cole McGaughan has ambitions too. Working as a religion writer for the New York Daily Journal, he longs to become a political reporter. Then his old fr
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Off the Record, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Record

Kristen
Mar 09, 2010 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, kindle
Reading this one one Kindle, another freebie. I started to get irritated with this one pretty quickly, because it's clear that the two main characters have a "history" but for the first 1/3 of the book, they never speak to one another. There's all of this angst about how broken up they are about each other from years ago, but as the reader, you're kept in the dark. Irritating. If the back history is so important to where they are right now in the story, then you need to clue us in, at least a li ...more
Rebecca
Judge Laurel Kincade is not only a "your honor" but a woman of outstanding honor, with an impeccable public record of fairness from the bench. However, when she announces her candidacy for chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, the one corner of her past that she prefers to remain hidden threatens to announce itself from the street corners; in the person of New York journalist, Cole McGaughan.

Cole McGaughan has not seen the beautiful Judge Kincade in eight years, so when he attends a press
Stephanie
Aug 08, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
This is a quick read with likable characters and a pretty good plot, though predicable (which for me is not necessarily a bad thing). I am giving it a 3 star only because I can't give it a 3.5. This is the first I have read by this author, but I have had my eye on her books for awhile. I really enjoyed it and liked her writing style.

There were a couple things I didn't care for in this book. The first was she used several references (i.e. a reference to the Princess Bride). In the example I cited
Ashley Barrett
Aug 09, 2015 Ashley Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning of the book, I was curious about this past that is being hinted at. Towards the middle, I'd just fallen in love with Cole. And towards the end I was frustrated with Laurel! So many things to love about this book!
Jas
I get it, she's a conservative judge ffrom Alabama, but oh my lord did she have to 'speak with the man' for every teeny tiny little thing? It got to the point where I considered making the references to god into a drinking game.
Alicia
A little slow in the beginning, this story picks up toward the end and I couldn't put it down. The intrigue of a secret and a campaign scandal with a (Christian) love story thrown in. The Christian overtones in the novel were subtle, but still resonating a difficult feat in Christian fiction where it is easy to come off as preachy and overbearing. Elizabeth White manged to stay firmly on the other side of the line with a very enjoyable read and love story. I loved the setting; Mobile, Alabama, M ...more
Rebecca
Mar 26, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute story, nice pace
Sara
I really enjoyed this book! Some of the reviews say that it's a predictable story...well, yea...it's Christian Romance/Fiction, what do you expect? :) I've also read "Fair Game," by this author and I liked that one too. I'm planning on reading more of her books.

I love the characters, the storyline and was very pleased with the ending! This is a great, easy read and I found myself constantly wanting to finish to get to the resolution/happy ending.
L
May 27, 2013 L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had read "Fireworks" by this author, and enjoyed this second one as well. This one is about a woman running as the first Supreme Court Justice in Alabama, and a relationship from the past that suddenly surfaces to haunt her daily life and threaten her chances of success at being elected. It has several surprises along the way, and paints a good picture of why honesty and not keeping secrets is the better way. A good read.
Libby
Aug 27, 2015 Libby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scribd
If you like Hallmark movies you'll like this book and I'm a sucker for them! Romance but more to it than most. Well written.

This book is from Scribd- For a free 60 day free trial use the following referral link-
Ocean
Mar 09, 2010 Ocean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this book. It was a simple, predictable story of two people falling I love. That would have been just fine if it hadn't been for all the religion. Everything they decided to do was because of God. God even talked to them and told them what to do, it was just too much religion for me!
Caron
Jun 11, 2009 Caron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like those Mormon romances, except for baptists. There's a lot of parts where she talks about how she's praying about this guy in her life, and wants to follow the spirit and do the right thing.
It's a cute story, but a little predictable.
Jacquelyn
This is a light mystery with a christian romace thrown in. Light fast read, but interesting enough that it made me keep reading to find out what happens
Mary
Dec 12, 2011 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book. It was predictable and the "big scandal" was lame. It was a free download and sometimes you get what you pay for.
Maegan
Aug 14, 2012 Maegan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting plot line for this type of novel. I read it just because it was on my shelf at the time, but I don't regret it.
Crystal
Sep 23, 2014 Crystal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing special. It was just ok

Like what you read? Visit me at my blog
Amber Moore
Dec 22, 2011 Amber Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good read. Laural and Cole will make you want t o laugh with them and cry with them. Very cute book.
Lillie
Dec 13, 2010 Lillie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story of two people trying to live their lives according to God's will while keeping their past a secret.
Noelle Marchand
Wow! The hero is this was fantastic! The plot kept me guessing. This is definitely one I'll read again and again.
Lauren
May 30, 2010 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it was a cheesy love story and very predictable, but I like cheesy love stories!
Kindleclub
Jul 28, 2010 Kindleclub rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet...I enjoyed the story. It had some religious overtones, but not to overdone.
Christie
Feb 21, 2015 Christie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story and I love that it takes place in good ol' Mobile, AL!
Dramamama
Sooooo good! One of the best books I have read in a long time!
Kathleen
Oct 24, 2010 Kathleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A halfway decent story but full of religious patter.
Michelle
God works in mysterious ways
Debbie's Spurts (D.A.)
Jul 04, 2015 Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-read
Well, the politics weren't really that interesting nor the scandalous secret but main character sympathetic and well enough written. MIght have rated another star if scandal wasn't so lame and I wasn't still cringing from a scene where book's male lead (after nearly half the book of not doing much of anything, much less talking to her or to God in prayer) gets in the shower, suddenly gets religion and starts talking to God and being convinced God told him exactly what to do--just completely out ...more
Rachel Zimmerman
Rachel Zimmerman marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2016
Mary McMillan
Mary McMillan rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
  • Daring Chloe (Getaway Girls, #1)
  • Daisy Chain (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #1)
  • Deadlock
  • My Name Is Russell Fink
  • The Real Enemy (Sophie Trace Trilogy #1)
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • Single Sashimi (Sushi, #3)
  • Operation Sheba (Super Agent, #1)
  • The Weight of Shadows
  • The Someday List (Jubilant Soul #1)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Mule Hollow, #4)
  • The Homeplace
  • Oklahoma Weddings
  • It Had to Be You
  • Vermont Weddings: Dear Granny/The Long Trail to Love/Sweet Sugared Love (Heartsong Novella Collection)
  • Newlywed Games
  • Booth's Sister
  • Taming Rafe (Noble Legacy, #2)

Also publishes under the name Beth White
More about Elizabeth White...