Start by marking “The Invasion” as Want to Read:
The Invasion

The Invasion

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  27 reviews
It started during a storm on the North Eastern Seaboard which brought with it a strange green rain. Where it fell, everything died and was consumed. The residents of remote outposts in Maritime Canada escaped the worst of the early damage, but that was a blessing in disguise, for they were left to watch as first North America, then the world, was subsumed in the creeping g...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Invasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invasion

Gef
When you live in Canada, you tend to go squee when a movie, show, or book acknowledges your existence. It's kind of a thing. When you live in Atlantic Canada, it's ten-fold. We are a picturesque region, though not often looked upon as the backdrop of an action-thriller. William Meikle has remedied that with The Invasion.

At its heart, The Invasion is pure popcorn fare. A B-grade sci-fi flick in book form, in my case audiobook form through Audible. You might even expect an adaptation to appear on...more
Patrick Gibson
Since buying a Kindle I've wondered what the quality was like on self published ebooks. Well, now I know. I do not want to sound mean spirited, but the author really needs to sharpen his skills a bit.

The Invasion was not as horrible as I had feared, the formatting, and proofreading were not as bad as I had read in other reviews of this type of book. Not sure if this was due to the author's new, "extended version" version or not.

However the writing and plotting were not what one would expect fr...more
Leanne Bell
In summary, The Invasion starts with a strange green rain/snow that has the PH of strong acid, destroying wildlife and people alike. This however is only the beginning, and things soon progress even further and as the death rate rises steadily, the survivors are forced to band together. Set at various points across the world, the invasion unravels at a steady pace, yet with frightening affect throughout.

Frankly, i am going to be honest and say that this book gave me nightmares, which hasn't happ...more
Ian Woodhead
I'm halfway through this intense and original invasion story and loving every messy second!
Chris
Having heard lots of good things about Meikle's work from plenty of GR members, I looked forward to my first time reading a novel of his...and to be completely honest, was a little underwhelmed. Not a bad book, but not one that knocked my socks off either. I'd read that this was his first novel, and perhaps his freshman effort should be viewed as such. Few formatting issues and typos made for some distractions, but the story did move along swiftly for most of the read. Set in current times, the...more
Jeannie Sloan
What a fun book! I thought that there was not any new ways to treat the invasion of the world or the end of the world and I have been proven wrong.
This was a very entertaining book.
I had not heard of this author before but I just got a Kindle so found that he has about 10 novels out there a long with a couple of short story collections including one about Carnacki-who you will know if you have read any older horror stories.
I also liked the ending of this book.Very creative.
It's not a long book...more
Deborah
A creepy science fiction adventure written with that B-movie style. It was a great quick read.It starts in the winter when an alien form of life comes dripping down destroying everything it touches. As the story evoles so does the alien. Changing and evolving to make Earth is own planet. A very entertaining story. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Jemica Dabney
Strong Beginning...
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
Brief Creature-double feature story about an alien invasion of the earth that starts with green snow falling from the sky.

Really, that's about it. Green snow heralds an alien invasion, and only a survivalist, a young woman with an unusual gift, and an old scientist can stop it. An interesting idea, interesting solution, and the book is done. It would have made a nice 1970s midnight movie, and I wonder what William could do with a full length book and some serious horror. It's written well, if a...more
Jan Strnad
The Invasion is exactly what the author claims it to be: a B-movie story about an alien invasion of the planet Earth. True to its B-movie aspirations, The Invasion follows a small cast of sketchily developed characters, with an emphasis on plot and quick pacing.

I quite enjoyed reading the novella and would have given it four stars, based on its modest aspirations, but for a couple of persistent formating problems that got in the way on nearly every page.

The first problem is a failure to italici...more
Daniel Keohane
A great apocalyptic disaster story. One of those novels which wastes no time jumping into the fray and getting you hooked immediately. An invasion story which begins as a bizarre tale of Nature Gone Awry only to soon reveal that the source of the flesh-melting green snow covering the world is not from this Earth. The story alternates from the perspectives of two characters as the sense of hopelessness for the human race builds throughout the novel. The characters themselves are good though could...more
Joni
An enjoyable story, and the idea was very original, and creepy as heck. I wish there had been time to flesh out the characters a bit more, they were a bit stereotypical in their characterization, but with a novella, there's only so much you can do. I enjoyed Alice very much, I found Hiscock to be a bit confusing, he seemed to go from weirdo survivalist to hero without any stops inbetween. Interestingly enough, I had a harder time with the dog being left outside to die than any of the people deat...more
Riju Ganguly
A fast-paced adventure that would have been an ideal summer read, but nothing more. As an action-oriented story it was good (reminiscent of the 80-s 'B' movies), but nothing more.
Milan
One day reading- don't put down style of thriller with interesting plot, although it had some holes.
Genesis Blue
Alice is one of the only survivors left after an acid green snow covers her island. The world is covered in green slime that destroys everything, but that's just the beginning . . . before long the slime is evolving and it rapidly becomes evident that this is not of Earthly origins and the aliens have a much bigger plan in mind.

I enjoyed this book but it was rather short. The characters are not terribly well fleshed out, but that's to be expected for the length. It was very interesting and kept...more
Amanda
I loved the way this book made through the various stages of invasion, and there was no holds barred in killing off characters! Alien invasions rock and this book is an excellent addition! To have been a 5 star read it could have done with more detail and a more in depth story, otherwise fantastic fun. William Meikle is a brilliant author and I am continuing to work my way through his catalogue.
Chase Boehner
This book was a refreshing take on the Alien invasion story. The main charcater Alice is flawed and likeable and you are always rooting for her. The story was fast paced and written believably for the genre and had real feeling of surviving at all costs. It would be hard to leaborate without posting spoilers so just let me say that this was a great read and also just plain FUN!!!!
K.C. May
This was a fast-paced sci-fi/horror story filled with danger and conflict. The alien invasion was among the most unique I've read, and truly frightening in its pervasiveness and speed. The only criticism I have is that the ending seemed a bit rushed. I'd definitely recommend this book.
Danny
I rated this one a 3 star but maybe a 3 1/2 would be closer to the way this one read for me. I liked the characters who became a great mix to go with a clichéd plot but with a little twist that makes it a very bearable read. A good one if your looking for a quick read.
Michael
I loved this book and once I began reading it, I could not put it down until I finished it. It would be considered pulp fiction but it is a pager turner for anyone who likes invasion stories.
Riley Ray
A good old fashioned invasion story. Felt like a very by the numbers but still enjoyable film on the SYFY network.
Roger
Good plot idea for a Scifi. Unfortunately, the story didn't deliver believable characters or events.
Stuart Neild
A wonderful blast of pulp science fiction. My favourite William Meikle novel so far.
Chris
Started off strong but the ending felt a little rushed. Certainly a quick fun read.
Loren
A decent yarn, reminds me a little of some of those horror movies in the 50s
Glinda Harrison
Jan 16, 2011 Glinda Harrison marked it as to-read
This book sounds really scary!! Shivers in anticipation....
Dean Henderson
Quick, enjoyable read
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
I'm a Scottish writer, now living in Canada, with eighteen novels published in the genre press and over 300 short story credits in thirteen countries. My work has appeared in a number of professional anthologies and I have recent short story sales to NATURE Futures, Penumbra, Read Short Fiction and Buzzy Mag. When I'm not writing I play guitar, drink beer and dream of fortune and glory.

My ebooks a...more
More about William Meikle...
The Hole Clockwork Dolls Broken Sigil Crustaceans The Midnight Eye Files: The Amulet