Presentation Zen Design

Presentation Zen Design

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  595 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In his internationally acclaimed, best-selling book Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery, presentation master Garr Reynolds gave readers the framework for planning, putting together, and delivering successful presentations. Now, he takes us further into the design realm and shows how we can apply time-honored design principles to presentation...more
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Presentation Zen Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Presentation Zen Design

Gretchen
This is the book I wanted Presentation Zen to be. It covers much of the same ground as the original, emphasizing the need to delivery presentations that are grounded, engaging and compelling rather than Death by Powerpoint. But as the name implies, this book is more focused on the design of the slides rather than the Zen story telling.

As someone who spends a lot of time creating and delivering presentations, I appreciated the abundance of tips and tricks - from websites for creating color schem...more
Efi
For me this is more of a reference book. I read the entire book on presentation zen and did a big picture scanning through this one.
Margaux
Never underestimate the power of a terrible PowerPoint in ruining a good presentation. Before one of my professors retired this year, she gave away some of the books she didn't need anymore, and I got this one. (Yay for free stuff!) Meanwhile in another class, I was docked pints on a group project because of a bad PowerPoint. Apparently you couldn't read it from the back of the classroom.

So when it came time for finals, I finally cracked open this bad boy and spent hours on a presentation. The...more
Joshua Smith
Good compliment to Reynolds's other book. I wish it was a tighter and to the point.

My favorite line in the book was a quote from Paul Desmond; the idea that there are things that can be learned but not taught. I had never considered that possibility before reading that quote.

The second best thing about the book was the section on color theory. I had no understanding of it before.
Bianca Woods
A good read, but a bit repetitive of themes from the first book. There is quite a bit of new material in this book which makes it worth picking up even if you already have Presentation Zen, but don't be surprised to find some major overlap of content as well. This was likely necessary to allow this book to exist on it's own, but it did on occasion make it a bit repetitive to someone who had read the first book.

So, I've given it a four out of five since I'm quite familiar with Presentation Zen, b...more
Steve Dineen
Along with the other Zen Presentation design book i read - A really good and quick guide to improving the stickiness of your presentations - whether this is at an exhibition or online ones. I created my first virtual school video whilst reading this, Steve Jobs presentation book (great for getting the message succinct) and online videos on using Camtasi. My first outputs was the virtual school video on our youtube channel - www.youtube.com/Fusionuniversal.

I would say all my presentations are imp...more
Agus Iskandar
Another great book by Garr. Just like the first book, in this second book, Garr tried to give us more clear approach on how to implement zen principles on presentation design. If the first book talks more about concept, the second one is more technical but still there are some concepts here and there. I recommend this book to anyone who would like to learn more about presentation and improve their presentation skill.
Rob
Excellent work, lots of information to think about when one does presentatations.
Kate Irwin-smiler
This is a great companion to Presentation Zen. This provided some detail on design theories & principles alluded to in the earlier book. (I wouldn't have minded both volumes combined into a single book.) I thought the comparison to traditional Japanese art forms most effective when more detail is provided rather than a simple statement that there are lots of rules & structures to learn.
Robert Chapman
I have read this book off and on for a while now, seemingly whenever I have to make a slide deck, and finally finished it off today. The book offers a lot of good advice on how to build presentations which will effectively convey the desired message to the audience. Certainly a good reference for anyone who routinely has to create slide decks and deliver presentations.
Todd Webb
Every business person should have at least a basic understanding of the concepts in this book. If you are a design enthusiast like me, Presentation Zen Design doesn't break new ground; however, it does have a lot of great examples showing how to apply concepts of good design to your presentations. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is "design challenged".
Jason Nomura
Excellent book reviewing the design principles for presentations. Sort of like a design book for non-designers. I know there is a book that is similarly titled and covers that, but it is not written with presentations in mind nor with Garr's well created prose, experience in presentations, or his wonderful examples.
Katherine
I think that anyone who is creating decks and training presentations should read this book. It gave me such helpful advice, from how to make my slides look good to really thinking about who the participants were there for - the PowerPoint or my expertise? I loved it and have used it often as I do my work!
Tony
Readable hints on how to make better use of presentation software. He cites Tufte, but remains very positive. Sees Steve Jobs as the master presenter. Believes in using online stock photo sources. This and his previous books make for good, quick reads and can then be reduced to a paqge of notes.
Penny
This book is worth a quick cover-to-cover read, but then keep it next to your computer so it's handy the next time you have to prepare a presentation. The text is helpful, but the abundance of "do this, not that" slide examples is what makes this a valuable reference book.
Juho Makkonen
An excellent sequel to the Presentation Zen. Goes more deeply to the design of a good slide deck. Especially essential for those of us who are not professional designers but still would like to create professional-looking presentation designs.
David
If you have to use a slide show to deliver a presentation, might as well make it as compelling as possible, i.e., lose the digital teleprompter and engage your audience using the slides to accentuate and reinforce the message.
Brian Regan
Read this book!! Seriously, it will change the way you approach presentations and even enhance your awareness of how things are presented to us on a daily basis, through advertising, publications and television. GREAT book.
Scott
This is a great book for those looking to improve their presentations according to good, solid design standards. I learned some great techniques that I plan to use to impact my presentations.
Leon M
In his book "Presentation Zen Design", Garr Reynolds deals with how to design slides that fully involve your audience.

His tips:
- big images
- simple slides
- noise-to-signal ratio
John Stepper
While not as innovative as the original Presentation Zen, more of the same is a good thing in this case. New examples further drill home the point that there is a better way.
Sebastiano Mereu
As the name of the book suggests, it's a guide to 'Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations', and that exactly what it did for me.
Rissa
Great reminders about what's really important to communicate effectively to your audience.
William Tang
A good read to make your presentations stick. Lots of presentation design ideas.
Rob Greca
Everyone that delivers some type of presentation must read this.
Ian Griffin
Awesome clarity of design from the Japan-dwelling hipster.
tamarack
great book. companion to presentation zen.
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Unfolding the Napkin: The Hands-On Method for Solving Complex Problems with Simple Pictures
  • Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis
  • The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint: Pitching Out Corrupts Within
  • The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • The Art of Explanation - Making Your Ideas, Products and Services Easier to Understand
  • Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
  • Infographics: The Power of Visual Storytelling
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Curation Nation: How to Win in a World Where Consumers are Creators
  • The Non-Designer's Design Book
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Data Flow: Visualising Information in Graphic Design
Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides Presentation Zen Storytelling: The Art of Using the Power of Story to Create & Deliver Engaging Presentations Presentation Zen Sketchbook ZEN oder die Kunst der Präsentation. Mit einfachen Ideen gestalten und präsentieren (DPI Grafik) (German Edition)