Start by marking “The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A distinguished anthropologist–who is also an initiated shaman–reveals the long-hidden female roots of the world’s oldest form of religion and medicine. Here is a fascinating expedition into this ancient tradition, from its prehistoric beginnings to the work of women shamans across the globe today.

Shamanism was not only humankind’s first spiritual and healing practice, it
Published September 2nd 2009 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman in the Shaman's Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman in the Shaman's Body

Nanu
Excellent defense and exposition of women as Spiritual Facilitators and leaders of their people in their own right and not only as support. Author provides several pieces of evidence and argues the logic in long held propositions regarding women's roles in the spiritual hierarchy and lives of their particular people throughout history.

A really enjoyable read.
Elfie
I was tempted to give this book only one star, but since I found some positive and well-meaning points in it, I rated it with two stars. However, on the whole I found it disappointing. Tedlock is undoubtedly one of those scholars who uses the construct 'shamanism' in its most encompassing form.

Whilst not negating the fact that women's roles in religion, medicine or for that matter other areas have not been adequately recognized, I do not think we are to gain anything by claiming that the first
Laurie
Dr. Tedlock, an anthropologist, granddaughter of an Ojibwe midwife and herbalist, and shaman initiated into the Mayan tradition, has written a book about two things: the role of female shamans, and her own training as a shaman.

Traditionally, anthropologists have assumed that only men were shamans. But discoveries have been made in Stone Age burials that seem to suggest that some shamans were women, as does some cave art. The majority of societies that still practice shamanism have both male and
Elizabeth
2006 from the library
TOC and Index

from the Acknowledgements:
"I thank my Grandmother, Nakomis, who quietly but firmly showed me the feminine shamanic path of Ojibwe healing"

Part ONE Reclaiming History
ch 1 Old Wisdom
ch 2 Healing and the Seekers of Knowledge
ch 3 Handprints on a cave wall
ch 4 Summoning whales, serpents and bears
ch 5 the dissappearing act: How Female Shamenism was Eclipsed
How about willfull misrepresentation of the record? For the rest, how about assumptions that turned the record
Lia
This book isn't being what I thought it would be. I picked it up after hearing a fascinating lecture on Shamanism and how it was originally a woman's journey, rather than a man's. In fact, ancient Shamanism may have grown out of the spiritual connection women have during their menstrual time. It is a time of great dreams and new understandings. But, at any rate, so far this book hasn't caught me. I've been reading it on and off since August 2008. We'll see if I finish it or if it suddenly starts ...more
Tamara
Aug 19, 2014 Tamara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Curious folks
A captivating look at how women and their roles as shamans in ancient cultures. The writing is accessible and inspiring, painting an encouraging picture for those women who are interested in exploring shamanism either in their own culture or as a novel engagement.
Kendra
Really enjoyable book discussing how much of shamanism was actually done by women. Or at least a stronger balance of women and men. Discussed how much of the early anthropological writings of women shamans were downplayed or degraded by men who could not and would not acknowledge the importance women played within shamanism. Also discussed the different types of shamanism, and the masculine and feminine versions of it. Brief overlay of how the author came to be a shaman as well.
Lily
This book had some really valuable information in it. I really did not like the way the author wrote from an academic perspective. It was easy to get her point: women have always been and continue to be equal partners in the shamanic world. It was not easy to deal with her being defensive about this point throughout the whole book. Still it is worth reading for the information, and the experiential writing she does do.
Pollyanna Darling
For a book written by an academic, The Woman in the Shaman's Body is surprisingly readable. I loved it because it lifted the veil on so much of the deep conditioning that I had never even noticed in my own consciousness. It rocked because the author dives into a world that is rarely questioned and reveals the feminine at its heart. Eye-opening ...
Only on page 36 I have already experienced a number of "wow" connections.
Biteythingy
This had some interesting ideas but did not live up to it's potential. I also don't like how she tries to use academic arguments while assuming facts not in evidence as the basis in the first place. If she is going to use archeological evidence, she should start the debate there.
Tina
This woman has done amazing research in this field and it is fascinating to me what she has found out about this topic. It is non-fiction so I read it a little at a time to digest everything she has to share. It has not been a quick read for me, but good info on a topic I love.
Mary
This book provides an overview of Shamanisim in various cultures and offers insight into the roles that women shamans play in ther communities. The author seems to gather most of her research from personal experience. I learned some useful herbal remadies from this book.
Abby Wynne
A very intelligent read, weaving aspects of the authors personal story of shamanism along with historical reference and narrative. Really enjoyed it, found it very educational and a pleasure to read.
An essential companion to Mercia Eliade's renowned work.
Patty
Mostly skimmed this one. It caught my eye on the Library shelf but did not live up to its potential. A reasonably interesting review of the history of women shamans and how that history has been suppressed over the ages.
Lia
Not completely happy with it, for the same(ish) reasons as with "Spiritwalker". But overall it was interesting enough to stir my thoughts and not just be an overview of stuff I already know.
Sandra
I didn't finish. Quite academic, but the information is tops. Would recommend it for anyone wanting more information on feminine spirituality, or women's studies.
Synthia
I skimmed through this book...some parts were more interesting to me than others, a matter of preference.
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Rhodabrew
Rhodabrew marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Apr 10, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Mo Tipton
Mo Tipton marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Salix
Salix marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Magicisillusion
Magicisillusion marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • Tea: The Drink that Changed the World
  • Urban Shaman
  • Shamans Through Time
  • Traveling Between the Worlds: Conversations with Contemporary Shamans
  • Show Me How: 500 Things You Should Know: Instructions for Life From the Everyday to the Exotic
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • Dalai Lama, My Son: A Mother's Autobiography
  • Shakti Woman: Feeling Our Fire, Healing Our World
  • Lost History: The Enduring Legacy of Muslim Scientists, Thinkers, and Artists
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
Time and the Highland Maya The Beautiful and the Dangerous: Encounters with the Zuni Indians Dreaming: Anthropological and Psychological Interpretations (School of American Research Advanced Seminar Series) Teachings from the American Earth: Indian Religion and Philosophy