Start by marking “The Cruel Stars of the Night” as Want to Read:
The Cruel Stars of the Night

The Cruel Stars of the Night (Ann Lindell Mystery #6)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  1,844 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
When The Princess of Burundi was published last year by Thomas Dunne Books, American critics hailed Kjell Eriksson as Sweden's Ed McBain, and they compared him to Henning Mankell. Now The Cruel Stars of the Night, the next in this internationally acclaimed crime series, unveils a spellbinding new tale again featuring police inspector Ann Lindell.

The Cruel Stars of the Nigh
Published May 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Cruel Stars of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cruel Stars of the Night

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonJar City by Arnaldur IndriðasonSilence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indriðason
Murder Most Cold
69th out of 144 books — 320 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonHunger by Knut Hamsun
Best Scandinavian and Nordic Literature
376th out of 976 books — 962 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 18, 2008 Arielle rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok
The last fifty pages or so are great. The rest, however, are a little boring. A bit too slow moving for my tastes. The structure is very similar to The Princess of Burundi, and it's really not my cup of tea. I prefer police procedurals that are entirely from the police's point of view. I like the sense of discovery; it's lost in novels like this where you get to know more than the protagonists.
Jun 29, 2009 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Maybe this is all a matter of translation difficulties, but I suspect not. It is not technically fair to say I've read this, since I gave up midway through the third chapter, but for me, there were just one too many odd non-sequitur references in the writing, so after I encountered one about a woman remembering two high school tormentors who she had seen on TV, when there was no previous reference to a TV appearance, I thought, why struggle through this?

Discard pile.
Nancy Oakes
In this, Eriksson’s second book to be translated into English, we once again meet up with Ann Lindell and her team from the Uppsala police department’s Violent Crimes division. This time, the team is called in to investigate the seemingly motiveless deaths of three elderly men, all very quiet, all living alone. The police, in the search for anything which might lead them to a killer, try to fathom why these men were killed and what tied their lives together. Lindell gets the idea that perhaps sh ...more
Paul Patterson
Apr 19, 2010 Paul Patterson rated it really liked it
I am a rather slow reader, rarely is a book a "page turner" for me. An exception to this was Kjell Eriksson's The Cruel Stars of the Night. I read the book at record speed in two days! Why?

First of all I think that the translation must be excellent since the words flow smoothly without the jarring transitions that sometimes characterize translated works. It was poetic mystery writing.

Another reason for my enthusiastic reading was that the book "hooked" me. Not so much because of the typical wh
Jan 02, 2011 Jaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a while for me to really get in to this crime novel, and I feel like I would have been pulled along more quickly if it hadn't been for the rambling, digressive narrative style. It was a Swedish translation, though, and I saw the same tendencies while reading Steig Larssen's books, so maybe it's a matter of perspective.

It's tough to review a book like this without spoilers, but I think I can say this as it is given away on the jacket copy: About half of the book was police procedural and
Feb 10, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: scandivavian, mystery
Kjell Ericksson writes a great mystery story and develops great characters that sets the stage for a dramatic conclusion. Inspector Ann Lindell and her colleagues are baffled by a series of murders until an obscure theory is presented that seems to fit but would lead to a dramatic final murder. In the meantime there is a missing professor and his daughter is purging all his possessions from the house, as well as basically forcing a work colleague into a sexual relationship (even though he is mar ...more
Aug 06, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those liking Scandinavian crime
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2011
I can't apparently resist thrillers, procedurals, or detectives that are located anywhere exotic, so of course I could not just walk past this book without reading it.

The writing style lets you know all the protagonists and how they think, and what makes them click. Ann Lindell, a single mum police officer is not my favorite investigator or detective out there, but I enjoyed following the story around her. There were tons of details where Sweden and swedishness was brought there: imagining the
The writing seemed alittle disorganized in the beginning. As I read though, I think is was an attempt by the writer to help us(the readers), feel how police investigations really are. The police while hunting the criminals must deal with problems in their own lives, as well as try to get in the head of someone who is not necessarily playing with a full deck.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Another good mystery novel by Eriksson. He does an amazing job of describing the internal thoughts of his characters - especially his characters that are slightly deranged :)
In the beginning of this story one elderly gentleman is reported missing by his daughter Laura. The members of the Uppsala Violent Crime Division, however, are less concerned about this case and feel the elderly a gentleman - a professor - will eventually turn up. Inspector Ann Lindell and her colleagues can find no motive f
Richard Katz
Jan 12, 2012 Richard Katz rated it liked it
I actually read this Ericksson's second book before reading his more acclaimed (and disappointing) Princess of Burundi. This was a much more satisfying read. An empathetic protagonist, a believable antagonist, affairs that make sense, and a charismatic second tier of characters. And more, clues that actually begin to add up from the beginning! Still not a spectacular bit of crime fiction, both gives us hope for Eriksson.
Feb 20, 2012 Mysterytribune rated it it was amazing
Kjell Eriksson is a Swedish crime-writer and the author of the novels such as The Princess of Burundi and The Cruel Stars of the Night, the former of which was awarded the Swedish Crime Writers’ Academy Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2002.

The Cruel Stars of the Night, the second book in the internationally acclaimed crime series which started with The Princess of Burundi, unveils a spellbinding new tale again featuring police inspector Ann Lindell.The book opens one snowy day when thirty-five
Jun 17, 2012 Glennie rated it did not like it
Shelves: scandinavian
I simply could not get into the book. I didn't have any interest in the characters. Maybe something gets lost in translation, but I find the writing style to be very choppy and it was not holding my interest. I've marked it as "read", just to leave a review, but I didn't finish it.
Chris Morris
Dec 12, 2012 Chris Morris rated it liked it
Kjell Eriksson was billed to me as a contemporary of Henning Mankell, so I started reading this book with high expectations. What I found was an OK crime novel and one captivating character (Laura).

The plot didn't move along fluidly like some of the novels penned by the great Scandinavian crime writers (Nesbo, Larson, etc.). It felt herky-jerky, which led to me putting it down several times in favor of other books. When I finally resolved to finish it, I did like where Eriksson took the story.

Oct 10, 2012 Cliff rated it liked it
Not sure about this. I am a fan of Scandinavian noir, but found this fairly heavy going. Some slightly odd translations - I am not sure why it was necessary to change Medecins sans Frontieres to Doctors without Borders. It's always known by the French name. i am not going to rush to read others by this author.
Dec 22, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this as much as I did The Princess of Burundi, the previous book in this series with police detective Ann Lindell. This one is all about the mind and psyche of the criminal, and the Princess of Burundi emphasized police procedures and interviews with the victim's survivors, really giving a sense of the community. I liked that. I really am not that interested in the f***ed-up-ness of the criminal, who is some kind of foil to Ann Lindell, and the multiple-murder mystery was not tha ...more
Anita Morrison
Jan 16, 2013 Anita Morrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, a few too many characters in the police group when you are not familiar with the Swedish names. Very intricate details and nicely written with clues later in the story as to the connections of the victims and principal characters. They must translate more of this author soon, I am anxiously awaiting more titles.
Mar 27, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
This was easier to pick up (since it's the middle of the series) than book #4 - I really wish publisher's made entire series available as translations! This is a pretty good psychological look at a killer; the story is told partially in flashbacks which makes it interesting. One red herring was introduced that didn't make much sense to me. Also, the pacing was a bit uneven - it really picked up midway through until the end, but the beginning dragged on. Also, unlike the previous book, Anne reall ...more
Feb 13, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
Watch out: spoiler (sort of). Good Swedish detective/crime novel. The main detective character, Ann Lindell, is a single mother and very appealing. The other character we share our time with is odd and enigmatic. The reader has a very different experience from the detective. It reminded me of the narrative structure of Karin Fossum's Eva's Eye where the main question driving the reader is not so much whodunit but how and why.
Carole Tyrrell
May 21, 2014 Carole Tyrrell rated it liked it

This is the second Ann Lindell mystery that I’ve read and it was as enjoyable and fascinating as the first. A Machiavellian and twisting plot which I read in one go.
It makes a change to read about a successful female detective whose personal problems don’t dominate the story. Police Inspector Lindell of the Uppsala police is a single mother with a little boy, Erik, and an ex-lover Edward who isn’t his father. It’s woven into the story matter of factly with little touches such as Ann kicking Erik
Jul 26, 2014 TheRealMelbelle rated it really liked it
I love a good mystery but this one also excelled in character development and was so nicely written. The characters were flawed individuals who really breathed with life. For adult readers. The somber and poetic Swedes are beautiful. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to be able to read it in the original language but I think the translation work must be wonderful.
Here is a poem from near the end of the book,

"When evening drives away the shining day
And our deep night to others brings t
Mary Ahlgren
Oct 11, 2014 Mary Ahlgren rated it really liked it
Brilliant exploration of a disturbed mind.
Dec 26, 2014 Cornerofmadness rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I'm always hesitant to criticize the translation of a book from another language into English. After all, English is not an easy language, and I think it must be very difficult to convey the meaning of another language into English in a smooth, easy-flowing manner. That being the case, I still must say that I found this particular translation by Ebba Segerberg of Kjell Eriksson's The Cruel Stars of the the Night from Swedish into English to be particularly clunky and stilted. It is likely that i ...more
Debbie Millett
Jun 24, 2015 Debbie Millett rated it it was ok
It took me a long time to finish this one, but I went at it like a chore. The first half of the book was fairly interesting with some good psychological insights, although the translation from Swedish was choppy and awkward at times. After the first half it started to fall apart for me and when I got to the last page, I was almost a little angry and felt like I was left hanging. After all that. Certainly not on par, in my opinion, with Camilla Lackberg or Stieg Larsson.
Oct 03, 2015 Gretta rated it liked it
Kjell Eriksson's police procedural is set in Uppsala, Sweden, where Inspector Ann Lindell's team are investigating the brutal murder of two old men. Meanwhile the local police have been informed of the disappearance of a local history professor.

Lindell's investigation plods along for about half the book, developing twin plot lines about the dead farmers and how Laura, the professor's daughter, is coping with her father's disappearance. Ericksson then reveals a plot twist, but takes his time deve
Jan Jury
Sep 19, 2016 Jan Jury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I enjoyed this detective story set in Sweden. First exposure to Kjell Eriksson, and I found the story gripping, if a little too graphic.
Scandinavian Crim...: Cruel Stars of The Night by Kjell Eriksson 1 6 Feb 20, 2012 06:38PM
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • The Water's Edge (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #8)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • Furðustrandir (Inspector Erlendur #11)
  • The Fourth Man
Karl Stig Kjell Eriksson is a Swedish crime-writer, author of the novels The Princess of Burundi and The Cruel Stars of the Night, the former of which was awarded the Swedish Crime Writers' Academy Best Swedish Crime Novel Award in 2002. They have both recently been translated into English by Ebba Segerberg.

* Ann Lindell Mystery
More about Kjell Eriksson...

Ann Lindell Mystery (10 books)
  • Den upplysta stigen