The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4)

The Treasure Keeper (Drakon #4)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,234 ratings  ·  122 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Shana Abé's The Time Weaver.

She is a young drákon of untried powers. He is the powerful second son of the Alpha male from their clan of shapeshifting, supersensual beings. And what she is about to attempt will violate every taboo and break every law that bind the drákon together—and just may save them from destruction.

A mere sea...more
Published March 29th 2009 by Bantam (first published March 19th 2009)

Kaleigha
I have a love/hat thing going on with Shana Abe. Or, more precisely, a love/dislike/like/mostly like thing. I thought the first book in the series was great, found the second to be boring with unengaging characters. I put off reading the third because of my dissatisfaction with the second, but liked it. Now, on to number four. There were quite a few things I did enjoy about The Treasure Keeper, and a couple I didn't.

Zoe Lane is a simple seamstresses daughter, engaged to a mild mannered man, plan...more
Leah
After the disaster that was Queen of Dragons, I really wasn't expecting much from this book. In fact, I was prepared to write a scathing review about everything I hated about The Treasure Keeper. However, I didn't...hate it. I actually liked it. Well, I suppose saying I had a love/hate relationship with the book would be more accurate. There were parts I loved and adored, and there were parts that I hated and made me want to throw the book at the wall.

The plot of The Treasure Keeper wasn't as we...more
Kelsey
The first thing I must start off with is this book is not romantic. If you’re looking for a sexy romance this is not it. This book was a little hard to follow and I was pretty much bored throughout. The story and the characters never drew me in and I had to force myself to continue reading. I’ll be honest, some skipping did happen.

The book starts off with a very long reading of Zoe’s diary from childhood to adulthood, which I thought was odd at first, and actually became irritated when it just...more
Carmen
Feb 17, 2014 Carmen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Naz
Brenda (b)
This is the 4th installment of the Drakon series. For me, it started out a bit slow, but once I hit chapter 6 things picked up. My feelings about Hayden were very confusing, probably because I never got to see into his thoughts and find out what he was really feeling. I had to give Zoe credit for her loyalty to Hayden, I'm not sure she even knew how he truly felt. Then there was Rhys, his situation was so tragic, I cried when the changes he suffered were described.

When I finished the 3rd book, ...more
N.L. Riviezzo
Oh so bad. I did not like the narrator's tone for most of the book. The constant switching between a letter being written and the actual story was frustrating. The characters were one sided. The story was flat. Zoe's journal entries at the beginning didn't really add anything to the story. The males' personalities continue to be extremely aggressive and borderline abusive. It was a quick read but a painful one.
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
Aug 28, 2011 Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers of the previous books
Shelves: favorite-series
This is the fourth book of the Drakon series. I kind of rated them against each other and this one would be 4.5 stars compared to the first three, but had to round it off to 5. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but not quite as much as the previous three. I love Shana Abe's writing, love the world of the Drakon that she has created. One BIG thing I think people need to keep in mind when reading this series is that the Drakon are not humans who shape-shift into dragons. They are dragons who shape-s...more
Ashleighloveland
This book was a lot of fun, but on some basic level a little bit dissatisfying. I thought the characters were pretty okay and likable and interesting, but they needed something more, really like the story, found the bad guys quite compelling, though a bit of a cop out ending, if you ask me. don't like that the second love interest in the triangle conveniently dies in the end, so she doesn't have to make any hard painful decisions, and didn't like how fast she got over it and (one day) and moved...more
Tamera
The pace is slow, the characters mediocre. The like the strong female lead however she shows herself to be fickle. There are spirits in the mirror that only Zoe can see- but the spirits play no part of the story other than they are there.... I had no reason to really like or dislike the characters of the book.
Kendra
I don't know if its just the books lately or what, but I've been catching a lot of odd ones. This book doesn't really end, and the next book coming out, Time Weaver, wouldn't surprise me if it couldn't have been combined into one book. Much irritating.
Kati
The fourth book in this captivating series lives up to the rest, half way through it became unputdownable. In each of these book relationships get resolved but the overall story carries on. On to the fifth and final book!
Mbuhler
It was... alright. I enjoyed it and there were times when I was reading and I didn't want to put down and other times where I was "eh". I found the idea of the book interesting and have somehow missed out on the previous books but I think it was an ok read as a stand alone book without the prior background knowledge. It did take me a bit to figure out what was going on but once I did, it was a pretty straight-forward easy read. A little predictable. Zoe was also a little hard to relate to - she'...more
Rhobin
Another great story to add to The Smoke Thief series.
Chrystal
The Drakon series gets better and better in each book. This book is the fourth in the series and it is about Zoe Cyprienne Lane. A seamstress who sets out on her own to originally find her fiance whom was sent on a dangerous mission from the counsel to scout out the drakon hunters called the sanf inimicus. Her finance, a good and a mild mannered man, has abruptly stopped writing letters to her and becomes extraordinarily anxious for him. Fearing the worst, she decides to go to Paris because Pari...more
Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥
This was better than its predecessor, Queen of Dragons, but not as good as the first two books. So I would rank them 2, 1, 4, 3. I still have to read book 5, that one has the lowest average rating though.

I really enjoyed Zoe as a heroine. I loved how she was such an icon of beauty and grace to all the men of Darkfrith, and she didnt even know. I wonder how Hayden found the courage to court her. And Zoe was incredible, how she ran away and searched for Hayden and Rhys on her own. She did so much...more
Wendy Hines
THE TREASURE KEEPER, the fourth installment in the drakon' series, picks up where the previous installment, Queen of Dragons, leaves off. The brother of the Alpha, Lord Rhys Langford, had been attacked and is now being held captive.

Zoe Cyprienne Lane is the daughter of the town seamstress. Growing up, she thought herself plain and fervently wished that she would be granted the gift of smoke and the Turn. It was very rare for the females of their clan to shapeshift into smoke or dragonform, and Z...more
Jaime Rush
I have enjoyed the Drakon world Abe has created. As always, I love her gifted prose, the way she paints the scenes so vividly. I admire an author who can do something different with the romance, and she did so here. The heroine can't stand the hero, Rhys, for much of the book, and other than the many diary entries in the beginning, we don't "see" him much at all.

Zoe leaves the shire to find her fiance, presumed captured by the dragon killers, and encounters Rhys's ghost instead. For nearly 300...more
Bailey Bristol
May 31, 2011 Bailey Bristol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dragon lovers, fantasy romance lovers, shape shifter enthusiasts
Shana Abe writes with the graceful gift of a storytelling mage. I will read anything she writes! I was particularly enchanted with the opening of this novel, with its especially lyrical voice. Here's a sample:

"Something Dark is coiled around your heart. It gives you grace when others are clumsy. You are secret smoke and claws, a cocked ear to the music of metal and stone, fangs and luminant eyes, wings for flight."

And this: "Because you're not like the slow and dense Others who trudge through t...more
Katy Rustemeyer
Zoe and Rhys were extremely real. Zoe is a seamstress, and Rhys is a Lord. Zoe is betrothed to someone else however Rhys was her childhood sweetheart. She was the only one who didn't bend to his will. She is Gifted beyond her wildest dreams, and torn between a prim and proper man who will treat her nice and a sarcastic rebel dragon Lord. I know despite the book being about dragons it was real, and I read the books somewhat out of order however it didn't really seem to matter. I loved the images...more
Sandy M
This is one of those series that I anxiously await for each book to hit the shelves. If you’re a shapeshifter fan, looking for something that’s different and written beautifully, these books are ones you don’t want to miss.

I suggest you start at the beginning with The Smoke Thief. You don’t have to, but this is a series that has a certain feel to it, that has a history to it, and to get the full effect, reading the books in order will only make your experience with it better.

Zoe is the seamstres...more
Karyn
This was my second favourite book of the series after The Dream Thief which featured Zane.
The Treasure Keeper is about Zoe Lane, the first love of Rhys' life. Zoe knows her gifts mean she will be confined to Darkfrith and made to marry the next Alpha in line, Rhys Langford, regardless of her wishes in this regard, so she keeps her gifts a secret.
But now, Rhys had been kidnapped by their greatest enemy and with Zoe's intended missing while on a mission to the Carpathians, Zoe sets out to play re...more
Marina
I give this 4.5 stars. This is my first book by this author. I had book 1 and 2 in this series but lost them in hurricane Sandy before they could be read.So finding this book at my library made me want to read it.The back cover summary was very interesting. Good story! Loved the main characters. Totally an all your senses read. I am fascinated. Can't wait to read book 1.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoilers
Note to self: Eng...more
Jenn
First, let me Say that the Way the Book starts is painfully Annoying! Why were so many Words capitalized in the Diary, with no Mention as to Why? See how Irritating it Is? If you were to Throw in a few ~, *, and <3, I'd swear I was reading a Teenager's chat Log.
That said, Shana Abé is fantastic when it comes to painting a picture. As I read The Treasure Keeper, I could easily visualize the streets in Paris, the garden of the maison, even the details in the floor of the dance hall. I could pra...more
Jules Wan
The drakon quintet continues with this 4th book. The story turns to Zoe Cypriene Lane who had been hiding her talents from her people. The disappearance of her once affianced, Hayden James propels her to search for him. However, she didn't bargain to have a psychic tie to her childhood love, Rhys Langford, who had been imprisoned by the sanf inimicus with the Draumr... Fun read, slight twist to the romantic storyline, better than Queen of Dragons, but The Smoke Thief was more engaging...
Diana
Rebecca
These books are historical and slow-moving and very descriptive, all things I ordinarily hate, and I love them. The formality of the period suits the drakon, the slow beginning is like the winding of a spring that explodes later, and the environmental details aren't just thrown in to take up space, bringing the story to a screeching halt in the process--the description is immersive and adds to the tone and pace of the book, rich rather than purple, and not something to be skipped over like I typ...more
Michelle
Okay, for some reason a lot of people said that Rhys is their favorite hero in the series. But he still doesn't come close to Zane for me. (Who does? Clayton Westmoreland, that's about it off the top of my head.) I don't really get the appeal actually. All Rhys does for 3/4 of the book is follow Zoe around all brooding and wispy. I didn't get that connection, that spark that I got with Zane. Didn't really like Zoe either. Her obsession with Hayden is nonsensical and she wastes too much time focu...more
Hope
Goodness, I'm so happy! I have enjoyed every book in this series so far! I love the premise, the characters, the stories in general!
This book had delightful twists and turns, surprises around every corner. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

XXOO
~ Hope
Hope

XXOO
~ Hope
  • Breath of Fire
  • Rion (Pendragon Legacy #2)
  • Vampire Dragon (Works Like Magick, #3)
  • Night's Rose (Night's Rose #1)
  • Hidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2)
  • Kiss of Fate  (Dragonfire, #3)
  • Tears of the Dragon (Dragonshifters, #1)
  • Firedrake (Dragon Knights, #5)
  • A Rose at Midnight
  • Beneath the Thirteen Moons
  • The Dragon Master (Dragon, #3)
  • Dragon Lovers (Includes: Guardians #2.5)
  • The Storm (Sons of Destiny, #6)
  • Sophie's Dragon (Supernatural Bonds, #3)
  • Dragon Warrior (Midnight Bay, #2)
  • Child of Darkness (Lightworld/Darkworld, #2)
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Dragons (Light Dragons, #2)
Shana Abé was born in Texas. She spent much of her childhood living in Colorado, with a brief stint in Mexico as a foreign exchange student, and, at age seventeen, lived in Japan as a model. Throughout her childhood, Abé wrote, completing what she calls "The Silliest Romance Novel Ever" during her free time during modeling shoots. Her writing focused on romance, as those were the types of books th...more
More about Shana Abe...
The Smoke Thief (Drakon #1) The Dream Thief (Drakon #2) Queen of Dragons (Drakon, #3) The Sweetest Dark (The Sweetest Dark, #1) The Last Mermaid

“I love you. At your best and your worst, I love you. Paris or Darkfrith. Here, there, and everywhere, I love you.” 1 likes
“All this is simply your reaction to my Gifts. You never loved me before, not in all those years. Now that you who I--what I can do, you've convinced yourself it's more than it is. Its simple instinct."

"Perchance you're right. But the result is the same, isn't it? We were meant to be together in life. That's our law, because that is our instinct, the natural order of our kind. Strongest mates to strongest."

She took the steps necessary to stand before him. She held out a hand to him and he accepted it, lightly, his fingers cradled hers. "This is not life, Rhys."

"No." He studied their locked hands, the pulse in her wrist. "But it is still love. Just as I loved you when we were young--"

"Stop it," she whispered.

"My heart beast for you." He released her fingers and gave her that faint, sardonic smile.

"I am going to marry Hayden."

"I know. And I'm still going to love you." The smile deepened. "Sorry.”
0 likes