Start by marking “The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Treasure Keeper (Drakon, #4)

The Treasure Keeper (Drakon #4)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,560 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Shana Abé's The Time Weaver.

She is a young drákon of untried powers. He is the powerful second son of the Alpha male from their clan of shapeshifting, supersensual beings. And what she is about to attempt will violate every taboo and break every law that bind the drákon together—and just may save them from destruction.

A mere sea
Published March 29th 2009 by Bantam (first published March 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure Keeper

Leah
After the disaster that was Queen of Dragons, I really wasn't expecting much from this book. In fact, I was prepared to write a scathing review about everything I hated about The Treasure Keeper. However, I didn't...hate it. I actually liked it. Well, I suppose saying I had a love/hate relationship with the book would be more accurate. There were parts I loved and adored, and there were parts that I hated and made me want to throw the book at the wall.

The plot of The Treasure Keeper wasn't as we
Kelsey
May 01, 2011 Kelsey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I must start off with is this book is not romantic. If you’re looking for a sexy romance this is not it. This book was a little hard to follow and I was pretty much bored throughout. The story and the characters never drew me in and I had to force myself to continue reading. I’ll be honest, some skipping did happen.

The book starts off with a very long reading of Zoe’s diary from childhood to adulthood, which I thought was odd at first, and actually became irritated when it just
Carmen
Jul 30, 2015 Carmen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
N.L. Riviezzo
Oh so bad. I did not like the narrator's tone for most of the book. The constant switching between a letter being written and the actual story was frustrating. The characters were one sided. The story was flat. Zoe's journal entries at the beginning didn't really add anything to the story. The males' personalities continue to be extremely aggressive and borderline abusive. It was a quick read but a painful one.
Naz
Aug 07, 2013 Naz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
Aug 28, 2011 Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of the previous books
Shelves: favorite-series
This is the fourth book of the Drakon series. I kind of rated them against each other and this one would be 4.5 stars compared to the first three, but had to round it off to 5. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but not quite as much as the previous three. I love Shana Abe's writing, love the world of the Drakon that she has created. One BIG thing I think people need to keep in mind when reading this series is that the Drakon are not humans who shape-shift into dragons. They are dragons who shape-s ...more
Brenda (b)
This is the 4th installment of the Drakon series. For me, it started out a bit slow, but once I hit chapter 6 things picked up. My feelings about Hayden were very confusing, probably because I never got to see into his thoughts and find out what he was really feeling. I had to give Zoe credit for her loyalty to Hayden, I'm not sure she even knew how he truly felt. Then there was Rhys, his situation was so tragic, I cried when the changes he suffered were described.

When I finished the 3rd book,
Ashleighloveland
This book was a lot of fun, but on some basic level a little bit dissatisfying. I thought the characters were pretty okay and likable and interesting, but they needed something more, really like the story, found the bad guys quite compelling, though a bit of a cop out ending, if you ask me. don't like that the second love interest in the triangle conveniently dies in the end, so she doesn't have to make any hard painful decisions, and didn't like how fast she got over it and (one day) and moved ...more
Rachel
Oct 06, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mmm... I enjoyed it, but it had a few continuity errors that bothered me. They really stood out for me because I've been reading these books back-to-back. Other reviewers have already pointed all of them out, so I won't rehash. Suffice to say that the editor really should have caught them!
I was also annoyed that the ending of the book is so abrupt; it was like running into a wall at full speed. Luckily I have the last book on my Kindle, otherwise I would have been more peeved. The ending made th
Tamera
Jun 03, 2009 Tamera rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The pace is slow, the characters mediocre. The like the strong female lead however she shows herself to be fickle. There are spirits in the mirror that only Zoe can see- but the spirits play no part of the story other than they are there.... I had no reason to really like or dislike the characters of the book.
Kendra
I don't know if its just the books lately or what, but I've been catching a lot of odd ones. This book doesn't really end, and the next book coming out, Time Weaver, wouldn't surprise me if it couldn't have been combined into one book. Much irritating.
Kati
The fourth book in this captivating series lives up to the rest, half way through it became unputdownable. In each of these book relationships get resolved but the overall story carries on. On to the fifth and final book!
Mbuhler
It was... alright. I enjoyed it and there were times when I was reading and I didn't want to put down and other times where I was "eh". I found the idea of the book interesting and have somehow missed out on the previous books but I think it was an ok read as a stand alone book without the prior background knowledge. It did take me a bit to figure out what was going on but once I did, it was a pretty straight-forward easy read. A little predictable. Zoe was also a little hard to relate to - she' ...more
Rhobin
Feb 28, 2009 Rhobin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Another great story to add to The Smoke Thief series.
Nicole N.
I'm tempted to say that besides "The Smoke Thief" (Drakon #1), this book is my favorite in the series. Granted, there is one more book in the series to read, but that won't happen for me for at least another couple weeks or so.

I just love Abe's writing style. It's subtle and smooth, descriptive, imaginative, and truly draws the reader in.

[POSSIBLE SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.]

Seamstress Zoe Lane doesn't have the ability to Turn from smoke to dragon but she does have two extraordinary gifts:
Chrystal
May 23, 2014 Chrystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Drakon series gets better and better in each book. This book is the fourth in the series and it is about Zoe Cyprienne Lane. A seamstress who sets out on her own to originally find her fiance whom was sent on a dangerous mission from the counsel to scout out the drakon hunters called the sanf inimicus. Her finance, a good and a mild mannered man, has abruptly stopped writing letters to her and becomes extraordinarily anxious for him. Fearing the worst, she decides to go to Paris because Pari ...more
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
This was better than its predecessor, Queen of Dragons, but not as good as the first two books. So I would rank them 2, 1, 4, 3. I still have to read book 5, that one has the lowest average rating though.

I really enjoyed Zoe as a heroine. I loved how she was such an icon of beauty and grace to all the men of Darkfrith, and she didnt even know. I wonder how Hayden found the courage to court her. And Zoe was incredible, how she ran away and searched for Hayden and Rhys on her own. She did so much
Wendy Hines
Jun 19, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE TREASURE KEEPER, the fourth installment in the drakon' series, picks up where the previous installment, Queen of Dragons, leaves off. The brother of the Alpha, Lord Rhys Langford, had been attacked and is now being held captive.

Zoe Cyprienne Lane is the daughter of the town seamstress. Growing up, she thought herself plain and fervently wished that she would be granted the gift of smoke and the Turn. It was very rare for the females of their clan to shapeshift into smoke or dragonform, and Z
Jaime Rush
Jul 18, 2011 Jaime Rush rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed the Drakon world Abe has created. As always, I love her gifted prose, the way she paints the scenes so vividly. I admire an author who can do something different with the romance, and she did so here. The heroine can't stand the hero, Rhys, for much of the book, and other than the many diary entries in the beginning, we don't "see" him much at all.

Zoe leaves the shire to find her fiance, presumed captured by the dragon killers, and encounters Rhys's ghost instead. For nearly 300
Bailey Bristol
May 31, 2011 Bailey Bristol rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dragon lovers, fantasy romance lovers, shape shifter enthusiasts
Shana Abe writes with the graceful gift of a storytelling mage. I will read anything she writes! I was particularly enchanted with the opening of this novel, with its especially lyrical voice. Here's a sample:

"Something Dark is coiled around your heart. It gives you grace when others are clumsy. You are secret smoke and claws, a cocked ear to the music of metal and stone, fangs and luminant eyes, wings for flight."

And this: "Because you're not like the slow and dense Others who trudge through t
Katy Rustemeyer
Nov 22, 2009 Katy Rustemeyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zoe and Rhys were extremely real. Zoe is a seamstress, and Rhys is a Lord. Zoe is betrothed to someone else however Rhys was her childhood sweetheart. She was the only one who didn't bend to his will. She is Gifted beyond her wildest dreams, and torn between a prim and proper man who will treat her nice and a sarcastic rebel dragon Lord. I know despite the book being about dragons it was real, and I read the books somewhat out of order however it didn't really seem to matter. I loved the images ...more
Sandy M
This is one of those series that I anxiously await for each book to hit the shelves. If you’re a shapeshifter fan, looking for something that’s different and written beautifully, these books are ones you don’t want to miss.

I suggest you start at the beginning with The Smoke Thief. You don’t have to, but this is a series that has a certain feel to it, that has a history to it, and to get the full effect, reading the books in order will only make your experience with it better.

Zoe is the seamstres
Karyn
Mar 30, 2015 Karyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2010-13
This was my second favourite book of the series after The Dream Thief which featured Zane.
The Treasure Keeper is about Zoe Lane, the first love of Rhys' life. Zoe knows her gifts mean she will be confined to Darkfrith and made to marry the next Alpha in line, Rhys Langford, regardless of her wishes in this regard, so she keeps her gifts a secret.
But now, Rhys had been kidnapped by their greatest enemy and with Zoe's intended missing while on a mission to the Carpathians, Zoe sets out to play re
Marina
Mar 19, 2013 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this 4.5 stars. This is my first book by this author. I had book 1 and 2 in this series but lost them in hurricane Sandy before they could be read.So finding this book at my library made me want to read it.The back cover summary was very interesting. Good story! Loved the main characters. Totally an all your senses read. I am fascinated. Can't wait to read book 1.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoilers
Note to self: Eng
Jenn
Oct 03, 2010 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keep-in-library
First, let me Say that the Way the Book starts is painfully Annoying! Why were so many Words capitalized in the Diary, with no Mention as to Why? See how Irritating it Is? If you were to Throw in a few ~, *, and <3, I'd swear I was reading a Teenager's chat Log.
That said, Shana Abé is fantastic when it comes to painting a picture. As I read The Treasure Keeper, I could easily visualize the streets in Paris, the garden of the maison, even the details in the floor of the dance hall. I could pra
Jules Wan
The drakon quintet continues with this 4th book. The story turns to Zoe Cypriene Lane who had been hiding her talents from her people. The disappearance of her once affianced, Hayden James propels her to search for him. However, she didn't bargain to have a psychic tie to her childhood love, Rhys Langford, who had been imprisoned by the sanf inimicus with the Draumr... Fun read, slight twist to the romantic storyline, better than Queen of Dragons, but The Smoke Thief was more engaging...
~Leslie~
Dec 06, 2014 ~Leslie~ rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-kindle
Number four in this beautiful series starts out very slow. But as the story of Zoe unfolds, we learn so much of what life in the shire is like. She is not terribly likeable at first, but about midway through I became totally engrossed in the story. Rhys Langford is the star even though through most of the book he is a shadow in her life. The prose, is as always beautiful, and though many questions are left unanswered and even hanging, it was still a beautiful book to read. My biggest complaint w ...more
Brenda
Apr 14, 2016 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the books in the series this one came the closest to being a really good book. It was good until the end when Rhys turns into a cowardly, selfish jerk who wants to trap Zoe into marrying him despite his condition. Then the author leaves you hanging in the end, wondering if Rhys heals or not. As I said, it came close, but no dice.
Diana
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are historical and slow-moving and very descriptive, all things I ordinarily hate, and I love them. The formality of the period suits the drakon, the slow beginning is like the winding of a spring that explodes later, and the environmental details aren't just thrown in to take up space, bringing the story to a screeching halt in the process--the description is immersive and adds to the tone and pace of the book, rich rather than purple, and not something to be skipped over like I typ ...more
  • Breath of Fire
  • Rion (Pendragon Legacy #2)
  • Night's Rose (Night's Rose #1)
  • Hidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2)
  • Kiss of Fate  (Dragonfire, #3)
  • Beneath the Thirteen Moons
  • Firedrake (Dragon Knights, #5)
  • Vampire Dragon (Works Like Magick, #3)
  • A Rose at Midnight
  • Dragon Lovers (Includes: Guardians #2.5)
  • QQ Sweeper 2 (QQ Sweeper, #2)
  • Dragon's Rise (Shadow of the Dragon, #3)
  • Serpent Moon (A Tale of the Sazi, #8)
  • The Dragon Master (Dragon, #3)
Shana Abé was born in Texas. She spent much of her childhood living in Colorado, with a brief stint in Mexico as a foreign exchange student, and, at age seventeen, lived in Japan as a model. Throughout her childhood, Abé wrote, completing what she calls "The Silliest Romance Novel Ever" during her free time during modeling shoots. Her writing focused on romance, as those were the types of books th ...more
More about Shana Abe...

Drakon (5 books)
  • The Smoke Thief (Drakon #1)
  • The Dream Thief (Drakon #2)
  • Queen of Dragons (Drakon, #3)
  • The Time Weaver (Drakon, #5)

“I would give up all the summers of eternity for you. I love you. Forever and my summer days, I'll love you.” 3 likes
“I love you. At your best and your worst, I love you. Paris or Darkfrith. Here, there, and everywhere, I love you.” 3 likes