Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist

The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist (The Berenstain Bears)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  5,033 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Sister Bear watches Dr. Bearson fill Brother Bear's small cavity. Then it's her turn in the chair to have a dangling baby tooth removed. An entertaining story for preschoolers of a cheerful and informative visit to a dentist.
Published October 12th 1981 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist

The Croak 500 by Rhonda PattonGrayson the BULLY Frog with Ted and Raymond by Rhonda PattonDylan and the Croak Orleans Gang by Rhonda PattonTed and Raymond's Sea Adventure by Rhonda PattonSelfish Little Bob, Selfish No More! by Joyce  Mitchell
Cute Kid Books
15th out of 38 books — 11 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. SterlingHoles by Louis SacharThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Childrens
96th out of 108 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Jack
Jan 10, 2011 Jack added it
Alexandria
In this Berenstain Bears short story Sister Bear gets her first lose tooth. Mama Bear tells her that she will need to go see Dr.Bearson the local dentist. Before they go Brother Bear makes his sister scared telling her that the dentist will yank her teeth out. Mama Bear takes the two of them to the dentist and has Brother Bear go first, the dentist ends up finding a cavity in one of his teeth scaring him very badly. When it is Sister Bear’s turn to go see the dentist comes up she is very scared, ...more
Jenny Houle
I didn't get this one for my dentist visit, but I did get it when I lost my first teeth (I lost two at once the first time). Always a favorite!
Belise Michel
I just love the Berenstain Bears collections. I used this book before a dentist came to visit one of my programs that I over see. It helps a child that has never been to a dentist office to see that there is nothing to be afraid of. It also a great tool to use to build up on vocabulary.
Emily
This book was very entertaining. I enjoyed the content and the personalities of the bears. For example, the teasing between brother and sister reminded me of my own relationship with my siblings growing up. This story teaches a great lesson to children about how going to the dentist may seem scary but it really is not that bad. The plot was fairly simple which could be good for children because they can easily understand what is going on. The illustration could have been more detailed and I felt ...more
Alexandria Owens
Nice book that shows how young children feel when they go to the dentist. In the book brother bear was nervous when he saw all the tools laid out in the dentist's office and that is how I was when I first went to the dentist. I like how in the end of the book, sister and brother bear saw that they had nothing to fear when their dentist visit was over. This could be a good book to read to children before they go to the dentist.

Learning Experience: I would have a bag full of tools that could be f
Adrienne
This is just a fun little story about going to the the dentist and having a loose tooth. I think it's funny that Sister gets a dime for her tooth--a couple decades later, in BB and the Tooth Fairy, she's trying to get $1 instead of just 50 cents!
Shawna
Oct 30, 2014 Shawna added it
Shelves: edrd-314
I recently did this book for a read-aloud. I practiced using predicting and inferring techniques in reading, I think it went well, and the students were able to predict sister bears feelings, and what would happen next in the story.
VampireNovelFan
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

I love the nostalgia reading this as an adult. Even grown-ups struggle with keeping up with their health. If doctors visits are sparse, you can bet dental v
Susan
This is probably akin to admitting I don't like puppies or something (I do! I do like puppies!) but I have never really gotten the appeal of the Berenstain Bears books. I have always found them too long and too wordy and a bit too lecture-y for my taste. I am willing to concede I am in the minority on this however since they go out like hotcakes at the library and have been favorites with many people for ages. I just purchased this latest one for my library with several other books on the topic ...more
Jessica Crockett
I will say that I hate going to the dentist or even thinking about it. That being said, my toddler is obsessed with this book. I probably read it to him 10 times a week. I appreciate that he will have some knowledge of the dentist when he goes thanks to this book.
Leyla
I liked it because I know Jennifer could relate. She and her dentist are very close. She knows her way around his clinic and asks tons of questions about his instruments.
Grace
You should always keep your teeth clean just like sister did in this book! So when you see the dentist they don't have to do fillings if you get a cavity!
Haley Heinkel
The Berenstain books are children favorites. This is also a collection of books that are all educational to children. This book focused on a visit to the dentist office. Every child is nervous about their first visit to the dentist this is a great book for children to read and understand how important going to the dentist is and how they should not be scared to go. I read this book when i was a child and then 10 years later it still is one of my favorite books. The pictures are amazing and easy ...more
Diane
I used this book to help my son prepare for a dentist visit. It does discuss "yanking" a loose tooth, which could frighten some children AND adults. Personally, loose teeth makes me queasy, so I have a hard time reading some of the story. But, it did seem to give my four year old an understanding and a reminder of what going to the dentist is like. It is a typical Berenstain Bears book, although I did not find the children quite as annoying as I usually do, and thankfully the bumbling father bea ...more
Francine
Christina
The Berenstain Bear books are always fun to read and have great lessons for kids.
♥ Sarah ♥
Age: ?
Lesson: Going to the dentist isn't a scary thing, but a good thing!
Purchased: 69 cents from eBay (1), 99 cents from eBay (2)
Taylor
Julia
I like that sis got to have her tooth pulled out at the dentist.
Alisha
I loved the Berenstein Bears book when I was growing up!!
Robin
Sep 22, 2008 Robin added it
I used this book to prep Clara for her first dentist's appointment (at age 3 1/2). We read it together a few times before our visit, talking about various aspects of the story and how Clara's dentist might be similar to or different from the one Brother and Sister Bear visited. I think it helped a lot. Clara cooperated during her x-rays and cleaning...I think I was more nervous than she was. :) Unlike Brother Bear, Clara had NO CAVITIES that needed filling, so many of the dental tools we talked ...more
Beth Felker
This book is apart of a series which focuses on the family of bears and their daily life. In this book sister bear has to go to the dentist and is very scared. Her whole family comes together to help her through her first dentist experience. The books are great because children can relate to them very easily, the illustrations are exciting and colorful. These books have valuable lessons that children can learn. I will definitely have some of these books in my classroom because of the lessons and ...more
Julia
Feb 14, 2014 Julia marked it as to-read
classroom library
-in my own personal library as a child
Adam Utehs
This book talks about how children are just yanking out their teeth and how they are scared of going to the dentist. But when they get their the dentist they are scared but after all of their procedures they come out alright and they aren't scared of the dentist anymore. Most children are scared of the dentist because they are scared of the pain that is associated with the dentist. This book should be read to kids because they need to get over their fears of the dentist.
Whitney Strickland
The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist, from my experience a great book to share with first graders. Children love talking about their teeth. How many they have lost and especially talking about their trips to the dentist. For these reasons this book is extremely relatable and can spark many conversations. Also this would be an excellent read if your child is having anxiety about going to the dentist for the first time.
Dolly
Mar 22, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a good book to introduce children to the dentist. It combines the storyline of losing your teeth as your adult teeth come in with the routine of going to the dentist for a checkup. It even covers getting a tooth filled due to a cavity. Our girls love the Berenstain Bears stories, so this is another one for them to enjoy (especially right before their dentist appointments!)
Rebekah
When I was little I was afraid of the Dentist, to be fair the first time I remember going to the dentist I has just watched the Rescuers for the first time and my Dentist looked a lot like Medusa. So my parents got me this book to show me how nice dentists are. I'm not sure how much it helped but I did grow out of my fear eventually.
  • The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs
  • The Magic School Bus Spins A Web: A Book About Spiders (Magic School Bus)
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Eaten: A Book About Food Chains: A Book About Food Chains
  • On The Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5)
  • The Giant Germ (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #6)
  • Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5)
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • Where's Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
  • Expedition Down Under (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #10)
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Ants In Its Pants: A Book About Ants (Magic School Bus TV Tie-Ins)
  • Just a Mess (Little Critter)
  • Clifford's Puppy Days
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Truth
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book) The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV