Start by marking “Fields of Corn (Amish of Lancaster #1)” as Want to Read:
Fields of Corn (Amish of Lancaster #1)

Fields of Corn (Amish of Lancaster #1)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Shana Slater doesn't realize that her life is about to change when she pulls into the Lapp farm in Leola, Pennsylvania, to inquire about renting a small apartment over a mule shed. Yet, the price is right and the rolling fields of corn present a peaceful place for her to retreat when she is not working in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Her curiosity about the Amish way of life is
Published (first published January 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fields of Corn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fields of Corn

Sue Laitinen
I really, really enjoyed this book. I loved the interaction of the 2 main characters in the book, and how the author shows the differences between their worlds, and both learning to accept the differences in each other while trying to fit in each others world. The love story is great, but so is the story of acceptance, and forgiveness. I highly recommend it.
Whoopie
Loved this book! The story didn't end with "I Do". It continued on and gave you a very good perspective of life afterwards. I experienced many emotions while reading this book from Shana's perspective... Can't wait to continue the Lapp story with the next book!
Janie  R.
Love in this relationship between an Englischer and an Amish,proved true,amid the many differences in their cultures, and religion.Learning to forgive, is not an easy thing to do, neither is letting go and moving on. A beautiful story-loved it!
Debbie
I finished reading the book "Fields Of Corn" by Sarah Price and all I can say is I am amazed. This is a wonderful book. It has all the basics of life covered. I hope the rest of the series is as good as this one and if it is I will have a new favorite author . Oh did I say I really liked this book.
DJ
I was really surprised by this Amish themed book by Zimmerman, a new author. It sets the story from beginning (meeting) to end (marriage) and shows the adjustments & lessons learned by combining two different worlds. Zimmerman did an excellent job with this. I sure hope she writes more soon!
Karen Vogel
Such a fabulous book! Sarah Price is up ther with Beverly Lewis when it comes to rich interior dialogue, character driven plots and making you feel transported into Lancaster County. Highly recommended.
Sandi
Loved this book. It's a story about becoming Amish and the trials of letting go of the English world.
Nancee
Jun 11, 2012 Nancee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Amish fiction
Recommended to Nancee by: FB Amish fiction friends
Excellent book! Brought me to tears occasionally.
Elizabeth
Lovely, soothing romances set in Lancaster PA
Hal
Don't laugh. I know it's a romance novel. I grabbed it thinking it was a novel about the Amish way of life.

And it is, so I'm not disappointed I read it. There is a romance theme to the book, but it's not a steamy, sexy romp that characterizes most so-called romance books today. It's the story of a gentle developing love between two very selfless young adults who learn to deal with their differences before becoming one.

But more than this, it is a description about the Amish faith and way of life.
Stacey Gallagher
Love this series! Great reads, beautiful stories and wonderful details.
Stanley Nice
Great book. A must Amish read.
Janet
I enjoyed this book about Shana Slater. She moves into a house on Amish property while managing a
Restaurant near by. While there she and Emanuel Lapp start a friendship that blossoms into love.

This is their story.... Does Shana turn Amish or does Emanuel turn English? How do they meld the two worlds?

I had a little of a hard time following all the people in the book but that could be just me, my only real issue wasShanas parents and the part they played in is book.
LadyCalico
Great story about an Englischer woman who falls in love with an Amish man. He has not been baptized, so he chooses to leave the Ordnung to marry her, but retains essentially the same attitudes and lifestyle, so she finds herself in a marriage where compromise is usually AWOL and she must do all the changing and accommodating, in other words, a realistic plot! I used to read a lot of bonnet romances because they were generally clean until I realized that most involved stock characters in a generi ...more
Denise
I was told about Amish Fiction by my Aunt/Godmother #2. I have always been fascinated by the Amish having spent summers in an area in North Central Minnesota with an Amish community surrounding it, and my grandfather only purchasing his harnesses from the local Amish.

I loved this book. I not only enjoyed the book, but learned a lot about the Amish community. I was fascinated by the interactions between the Amish and the Englishe(sp).
Kaye
Enjoyable Amish story. I just wish the author would've used the better grammar. If an author is not sure of how to pluralize a word, look it up. Daughter-in-laws is not correct. It should be daughters-in-law. Other grammatical mistakes with subjective and objective misuses annoyed me. May sound picky but these are details I would expect such a seasoned and prolific author to know the correct usage.
Rita
Fields of Corn is not your typical Amish book. While I did enjoy parts of the story, I didn't care for it as much as other Amish books I've read in the past. I had a hard time connecting with any of the characters. The romance between the main characters seemed to progress far too quickly and quite a few things just didn't seem that realistic to me. A one-time read.
Janice Aitkens
I read this on the Kindle

I really enjoyed this book it the first book i have read by this author & her writing makes it easy to follow as she writes very nice

The storyline was a good one & you enjoy learning about the family & their ups & downs of life
Gail
This has got to be one of the best stories I've read by Sarah Price about the Amish culture and how it interacts with the Englishe Community or should I say how it doesn't interact! I had a hard time putting this down, kept wanting to know what would happen next!

An Englisher comes together with an Amish family and what happens is a tremendous story!

I would recommend this to anyone that loves reading about the Amish or just loves to read about different cultures!
Englisher, Shana, moves into an apartment on the Amish Lapp farm. A transfer in her job, at a restaurant, lands her near Landcaster, PA. Emmanual Lapp starts talking and taking an interest in her. Going to various events in the area, gets them closer together. How can it ever work between them? Love Sarah Price's books!
Jan Hall
Wow

I enjoyed reading this story. It is very different from other books I have read. I learned a bit about what is involved in marrying someone not yet baptized Amish and a lot about forgiveness. It definitely has made me think.
Sharon C Manning
Thoroughly Enjoyed!

Thoroughly Enjoyed!

The journey Shana takes in this story is truly amazing. Learning the true meaning of faith in God and resting on his promises through life's ups and downs.
Linda
This book taught me to except the things that God has given me and be thankful for those things. Life is a precious journey and our family and friends that we have surrounding us can help us with our strength in God.
Beverly Richardson
Fields of Corn

This is a new author to me. I love reading now authors and reading about the Amish. The book didn't disappoint. Beautifully written. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading this kind book.
Janet C.
This book was a good read. Shanna, an Englisher, falls in love and marries Emmanuel Lapp an Amish raised man. This book really goes into the details of what a transition between worlds really means. Emanuel can not join the church unless Shanna does. Shanna and her family and Emanuel's family
struggle with this couple's decision. Shanna over time transitions into the Amish world but her struggles are described with clarity. I found this a very thought provoking book. I hope the rest of this serie
Sharon Cordell earls
great book kept my interest
Helen
Loved this Amish story. Couldn't put it down
Kristie (fabk)
Maybe 2.5 stars.
This just wasn't my cup of tea. I hated Emanuel. Seriously. Asking so much from Shana and not willing to give in to anything for her?!!?! I just can't even.
This was my first and probably last book about the Amish. I love learning about new cultures but this was just too much for me to enjoy.
Pat
Shana, a restaurant manger is transfer to Lancaster,PA. She falls in love with Emmanuel and decides to marry him and then decides to become Amish. But she learns that saying she is Amish and truly being Amish is hard. When pain and grief come to her life which way will she choose?
Diane
Jun 09, 2013 Diane marked it as to-read
I enjoyed this book very much ' It was an easy read ,kept my interest and made me want to not stop reading it . Iwould give this book 5 stars because i felt like the characters were really my neighbors here in Lancaster Co.Love Sarah Price books , Great writer .Diane C.
  • Ella's Wish (Little Valley, #2)
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
  • Under The Mulberry Tree (Jacob's Daughter #3)
  • The Amish Nanny (The Women of Lancaster County, #2)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Hidden Life (Amish Quilt, #2)
  • A Marriage for Meghan (Wayne County, #2)
  • A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)
  • Miriam's Heart (Hannah's Daughters, #2)
  • His Love Endures Forever (Land of Canaan Series #3)
  • Autumn Winds (Seasons of the Heart #2)
  • Katie's Redemption (Brides of Amish Country, #1)
  • Leaving Lancaster (Legacy of Lancaster, #1)
ECPA Christian Fiction Bestseller (June 2014, July 2014)
Amazon Top 100 Author for Books & eBooks ( December 2012, January 2013, February 2013, April 2013, May 2013, August 2013, September 2013)
-------------------------

Sarah Price self-published her first book, Fields of Corn, in 2009, a book she wrote thirty years earlier while studying anthropology and writing at Drew University (Madison, NJ)
More about Sarah Price...

Amish of Lancaster (4 books)
  • Hills of Wheat (Amish of Lancaster #2)
  • Pastures of Faith (Amish of Lancaster #3)
  • Valley of Hope  (Amish of Lancaster #4)
An Amish Buggy Ride The Divine Secrets of the Whoopie Pie Sisters (Whoopie Pie Sisters #1) Plain Change (The Plain Fame Trilogy #2) An Empty Cup Hills of Wheat (Amish of Lancaster #2)

“Amish children are usually named after aunts or uncles or some other relation. Keeps the family names going.” 2 likes
“The society that embraced him continued to prosper by stressing the family unit and their close-knit community. Hers prospered by forcigng independence and self-sufficiency.” 2 likes