Start by marking “Executive (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #4)” as Want to Read:
Executive (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #4)

Executive (Bio of a Space Tyrant #4)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,952 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Doomed to a madman’s hell

He was shaping his times as no one before him dared, mercilessly scourging an entire planet of crime and corruption wherever he found them—and destroying anyone who stood in his way. Absolute dictator of the United States of Jupiter, Hope Hubris was destined to become the most hated and feared man of an era, a tyrant charged with countless heinous
Mass Market, 330 pages
Published December 1st 1985 by Avon Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Executive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Executive

David Sarkies
Mar 11, 2015 David Sarkies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody Really
Recommended to David by: I just kept on seeing it in the shops
Shelves: sci-fi
Hope Hubris becomes El Presidentae
5 May 2012

One of the reviews of this book suggested that Hope Hubris is like a Bill Clinton with a cabinet full of Monica Lewinsky's, however while when I read this book it wouldn't have occurred to me (and the Bill Clinton reference wouldn't have either) and when I think back to it from this point in time I would have to disagree and suggest that the character seems to be based more on Charlie Wilson, US Senator and the subject of the film 'Charlie Wilson's Wa
Dave
Jan 09, 2015 Dave rated it really liked it
The fourth in the Bio of a Space Tyrant books and the hardest to like so far. Hope Hubris has become the Tyrant of Jupiter and seeks to reform the economy via a set of reforms that seem, from the perspective of the early 21st century, hopelessly naive. Also his affair with his fifteen year old ward goes way over the creepy line.

But it is what it is, and it's important to keep in mind that this series is more like a dark satire than a set of aspirations. If you've read the first three, and any pr
Al "Tank"
Apr 01, 2015 Al "Tank" rated it it was ok
Book four in the series falls flat. (This review is of the 1985 Avon mass market paperback edition)

After 3 good books (I've only read #2, but other reviewers seem to think the others are just as good), the final book in the Bio of A Space Tyrant series goes completely off the deep end.

Hope, now in his 50's, develops an even stranger appetite for kinky sex which degenerates into an unhealthy affair with a minor.

And he becomes a dictator to boot (all in the best interest of Jupiter, of course). J
Jay
Sep 08, 2015 Jay rated it it was ok
Shelves: social-sf
Some nostalgia value, but not very good overall. The protagonist becomes dictator and puts into place some interesting but not very well thought out social programs, interleaved with many sex scenes and occasional assassination attempts. The later part of the book kind of falls apart as the protagonist seems to get bored of being dictator, leading to an anticlimactic ending.
Stephen
Oct 03, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
Another fine chapter in the life of Hope Hubris. An education in what good could be achieved if the self serving lobbyists, corrupt political figures and greedy executives were taken out of the equation and the government really was for the people and able to do what was necessary for them. Unfortunately for Hubris, it is also the tale of how power can corrupt and how the people didn't always want to pay the price for what they wanted.

A lot of politics but done in a way that immediately relates
Jeremiah Johnson
This was a major step back in the series for me. Until now it has been about the strength of Hope's character that pulls him through seemingly impossible situations. There was a little of that on this book, but far too much time was devoted to Amber. She added no value to the story whatsoever.
The two "surprises" were both fairly obvious to me ahead of time and only made me roll my eyes that no one saw them coming.
Buggz79
Sep 24, 2014 Buggz79 rated it it was ok
This was going swimmingly until the chap set out to justify a sexual relationship with a 15 year old 'idiot savant' on the grounds that 'She loves me'.

Nope. Just nope.
Bryan457
May 28, 2010 Bryan457 rated it liked it
Hope, with the backing of the military, has become dictator/tyrant of Jupiter. With the unlimited power available to a dictator, he begins to set right all of America's, errm, I mean Jupiter's problems. He has sex with his entire cabinet (all women), except for his daughter, but not excluding his paraplegic secretary. After she is killed in an assassination attempt he descends into insanity.

I think this one is fascinating just to see what Piers Anthony thinks the solutions are to some of our nat
Leanna Aker
The best of the 6-book series so far. Hope Hubris has taken control, er, um, overturned the government of Jupiter and become a tyrant. As the book progresses, he makes some interesting choices that lead him down a road to being a bit crazy. I love the Utopian outlook on a society that can be formed by a tyrant who doesn't have the trappings of red tape bureaucracy.

Hope comes under more and more danger, and there are some *interesting* twists at the end. A find read in this series.
Greg
First the whine... Again the Kindle version of the book needs a formatting proof pass. Line breaks were there should not be, wrong smart quotes, missing quotes, etc. Not major counts of these, but enough to break the reading flow.

This book is not my favorite in the series. Not sure why, maybe because of the sexual content, maybe because there's less of the "success against all odds," maybe something else, I'm not really really sure, and while I liked the book, it just isn't my favorite...
Christopher Gilmour
Jan 24, 2014 Christopher Gilmour rated it it was amazing
It was all right
Christy
This book was a good continuation of the story line up until the last chapter or two. Then the story unraveled like the character supposedly did. Things seemed fragmented and jumped forward without a lot of explanation, I was sorely dissapointed in the ending as well. I can only hope the 5th installment will reedem itself.
Anne
Jul 11, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
This was my least favorite of these so far---- lots and lots about his sex life as he slowly becomes a bad tyrant instead of a good one. AND I thought I was reaching the end of this series, only to learn there are actually two more books! Will press on...
Scott
Jul 21, 2015 Scott rated it liked it
A decent series
Mykl
May 24, 2012 Mykl rated it it was ok
I really don't want to say much about this book. After a promising start for the series it is taking a serious effort to read these books.
Sherri
Oct 03, 2013 Sherri added it
Shelves: bookcrossing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kirin Long
May 23, 2011 Kirin Long rated it liked it
Wasn't as compelling as the others so far.
Carl Hitch
May 08, 2013 Carl Hitch rated it it was amazing
Best stuff he's ever written... period.
Frank Taranto
Oct 19, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Really beginning to go downhill.
Jenny
Aug 05, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
No rape, lots of politics.
Shawn
read 08.11.86
Debbie's Spurts (D.A.)
Jul 04, 2015 Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-read
This review is for whole series -- engrossing characters and unfortunately probable world building. Absolutely the plot and the protagonist sucks you right in and goes nonstop through all 6 books.

I am a fan of Piers Anthony; but, reader beware -- this ain't no Xanth. Much more intense situations. "Caligula of the stars" on one of the excerpts is a very apt description for some disturbing portions in series; definitely for adults with actions and memories graphic/explicit as to sex, violence, rap
Dave Warning
not bad
Tina Musso
Tina Musso marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
unknown
unknown marked it as to-read
Sydney
Sydney rated it liked it
Nick
Nick added it
Jun 26, 2016
  • Charon: A Dragon at the Gate (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #3)
  • Dirge (Founding of the Commonwealth, #2)
  • Trigger & Friends
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Stars at War II (Starfire, #1,4)
  • Robot Blues
  • The Rise of the Terran Empire (Technic Civilization 3)
  • A Phule and His Money (Phule's Company, #3)
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Bio of a Space Tyrant (6 books)
  • Refugee (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #1)
  • Mercenary (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #2)
  • Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #3)
  • Statesman (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #5)
  • The Iron Maiden (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #6)