Start by marking “The House of a Thousand Lanterns” as Want to Read:
The House of a Thousand Lanterns

The House of a Thousand Lanterns

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  2,235 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Jane Lindsay never dreamed she would be wealthy. Nor that she would fall in love with a man she could not trust. Against the background of 19th-century England and Hong Kong, the story of a young Englishwoman in a strange new world unfolds . . .
Published July 1st 1974 by Doubleday (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The House of a Thousand Lanterns, please sign up.

Peggy This was the first book I read from Victoria Holt. I was a teenager at the time and was turned on by mysteries. I recommend her books for everyone.

Tweety
Buddy Read With Dorcas. :D

I'm not sure how I feel about this, it had a dramatic ending, but by George it took awhile to get there!

I guess the biggest problem was I wasn't ever afraid, it took to long to get the the scary parts, and by then I knew she'd come out fine. I don't understand why it took so long for the suspense to kick in, the first 3/4s of the book went in circles, was Jane in danger? Where was the secret of The House of a Thousand Lanterns hidden? Could Jane trust Joliffe? Could
Dorcas
Buddy read with Tweety.

I almost gave this 2.5 stars but it probably deserves 3.

Probably

For three quarters of the book I was waiting for something to happen. Oh, things happen but not suspenseful things. The most interesting thing was the Chinese lantern festival. That's something I would love to see. But until the very end I wondered if I was even reading a Gothic. Where was the chilling suspense?

and the characters...I just better shut up. No sense in banging imaginary heads together.

This isn'
Nikki Waite
Love this book! I don't know what it is about Victoria Holt, but it's always a fun, delightful read for me. She's a romantic thriller novelist, and apparently, that's a favorite genre for me. There's the intrigue of trying to figure out the mystery, but there's all the gushy, awesome romance that I need too. Her books are books that I can read over and over again.... and I do!
Karen
I sought out this book because I found a picture of my mom reading it when she was holding me as a baby, so I felt a need to seek it out and make the connection between her during this time that I am experiencing now. I found it used on Amazon for one penny and couldn’t pass it up!

It started out like Downton Abby meets Rebecca, with the shadowy house, a new owner who is also a stranger, the downstairs help gossiping and longing for the old days. It then turned into more of a romance with a tinge
Julie
If I have ever read a Victoria Holt novel before, I don't recall it. Over the past year I have really become very interested in gothic romance, from Jane Eyre to the gothic romances of the 60's and 70's, which is the reason I bought a lot of these on ebay. This one was gothic in some respects but not like what I was expecting.But, I have to say I really enjoyed in very much. The story was set back in time and although the copyright on this one is 1974, it wasn't remoteley dated. I was into in ri ...more
Mara Shaw
Remember Victoria Holt, Bev? Her books came endlessly through the Book Fair when we were teens and in retrospect I read too many. Wonderful historical escapist romances. Ahh... happy memories.

It gets 4 stars not because I'm sure it was great fiction, but just for the happy memories of blissful, long St. Louis summers rummaging through the thousands of dusty boxes of books in the barn being sorted for the Greentree Fair. I won't admit how many other titles she wrote that I read...
Jesse
This book was so atmospheric and I really liked the protagonist (or maybe the way the reader read the characters). This felt so much fun and more lively than the India Fan. I just really, thoroughly enjoyed it, and got wrapped up in the mystery and the suspense and the descriptions. Although Holt's characters never seem to fall in love with the people I want them to. :P

If you like "gothic romance"-style tales full of hidden passageways and underhanded plots and dark mysteries and hidden treasure
Carie
Cut and pasted from my other Victoria Holt review (her books are quite similar, so this is completely applicable to House of a thousand Lanterns as well:)

Oh Victoria Holt. She has a formula and works it well. This book is very much like her others. You can always count on a young heroine, several suitors (but which one is best for her?), and a mystery/danger of some sort. You can also count on Holt taking a long, long time to get to the end.

This book started out fun (I adore vintage suspense no
Ghaida Alkhateeb
Well. I guess it could take a rating of 3, but Personally, I did not like it a lot. I felt while reading all the pages that the writer repeats herself a lot so I got bored easily and wanted sometimes to throw the book and quit reading it. There was no suspense, though the story was beautiful. I could easily knew what gonna happen next or what the writer would say.

I liked a lot the part about the Chinese Culture in every aspect. That made me eager to visit China, the feasts, the festivals, etc.

I
Karen
I used to like Victoria Holt, but this time through it was pretty bad.
Hafiza
One of my top 5 favorite Holt's.
Daniela Medina
For the first time in forever I read a book in just one night. And it feels good.

Insomnia is an issue that very rarely strikes me. I have always been a fast sleeper, the sort of person who falls profoundly asleep as soon as her head touches the pillow. But last night I was completely unable to access the Dreamland, thus I decided to do something productive with all the night hours I had to spare and picked this book - who had been waiting for me for maybe too long - from the shelf.

I bought the
Anna
This gothic is set in Victorian British Hong Kong. In addition to the mystery and adventure, you definitely get a feel of the city from the English point of view at the height of the Empire.
These stories will always be special to me because they were mainstays during high school and lead me to other authors.
Sandra Koehler
I enjoyed this book completely. A moving book. I went to a used book store and had them pull every book by this author out of storage so I could have them. It could be considered a quiet or slow book for some. I had no trouble being emearsed in this book.
Nicole
This book had the usual Victoria Holt twists but she repeated herself so many times. I kept thinking, "We know this already! Get on with it!" I would still recommend this book but I think it's my least favorite book of hers I've read so far.
Sara
Much more Jane Eyre than the bodice-ripper romance I was expecting (dreading?). I spent a number of pages scoffing at the fact that the mystery was so simple (although the story was good enough as it was that I kept reading), and then I was totally blindsided by the actual ending. One complaint was that the ending felt rushed, and I was a bit disappointed that Jane didn't do more to attempt to save herself and her son from the Dread Tomb. (That's not actually what it was called.)
If you like the
Bella Lucin
This was the first I've read from her collection of Books. I loved it and started searching for more of her books. Now since I discovered your site I can read them all!!But I still wont stop searching for the Books!!!
Alycia
Had a great start to it, but then it plodded along and never delved into anything remotely mysterious until the very end (even then it was rather weak). I saw another reviewer mention that she (the author) often repeats herself...I, too, noticed this. It really gets on your nerves after awhile. She must have wrote 4 or 5 different times within a couple pages about the heroine wondering if the house actually had a thousand lanterns in it. Stuff like that throughout the entire book! I've wanted to ...more
Teinevai
I gave it 4 stars because that's what I would of given it at the time I read it, don't remember a whole lot of it but I remember being a really big fan of Victoria Holt.
Alexandra
For my first book into Holt I am rather underwhelmed. The set up was interesting with the Chinese artifacts but I found Janey too whiny to be likable.
Wendy Hall-Duenez
It's been many years since I read Victoria Holt but this book stands out in my memory. I think it's time to revisit.
Marianne Gregory
Enjoyed it in my teens but remember nothing of it now... Therefore, forgetable?
Didi993
I looooove the unusualness for a romance novel
Bren
Novela romántica que te lleva a la época
Bea
One of my favorite Victoria Holt books. She also wrote under Phillipa Carr.
Hope Dee
This was a very pretty novel and I just loved it.. Literally.
Toni NB
I love Victoria Holt's novels...I thought this one particularly good. I think Holt did a good job with the character development (esp. the heroine). She gained insight about herself, and grew as the story went continued. Other gothic novels that I've read are very light, fluffy, and predictable after the first several pages. I like that Holt tries a little more with her stories.
Rena
This is Victoria Holt novel #3 for me. Even though it's my least favorite thus far, it was still a good read. It wasn't overly simplistic, but it was not a hard read either - just enough to keep me interested. I don't much care for the lead male in the story - he was kind of...soggy?...which let me down in comparison to her other novels.
Julie
Hard to write reviews on the Holt books. I went through a spell a long time ago when I read pretty much all of her books and enjoyed them. I probably wouldn't today, as my tastes in books has changed ,but at the time I enjoyed them.
Pretty much girl meets boy, they don't like each other, but by the end they do .
The House of a Thousand Lanterns 4 14 Jan 03, 2014 06:58AM
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Rainbow in the Mist

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...
Mistress of Mellyn On the Night of the Seventh Moon The Shivering Sands The India Fan The Pride of the Peacock