Start by marking “23 Hours (Laura Caxton, #4)” as Want to Read:
23 Hours (Laura Caxton, #4)

23 Hours (Laura Caxton #4)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,042 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews

After killing her former mentor-turned-vampire, U.S. Marshal Jameson Arkeley, Caxton was nearly left for dead. Taken to prison for assaulting a convict, she now faces her most harrowing hours yet. Locked up in a Pennsylvania correctional facility that holds the state’s death-row inmates, not to mention countless murderers and drug dealers whom Caxton herself has put away,

Audio CD, 8 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 23 Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 23 Hours

Sammy Loves Books
Wow, This was the final book in the 4 book series and it was nonstop action from start to finish. These vampires are so delightfully gruesome. I wasn't 100% happy with how the book ended..let's just say Wellington left the option to come back and write a 5th book. I would have liked for the story to have ended with a tidy neat bow. No such luck! There was no closure with the main character or the main Vamp. The story was very entertaining, but what was the point of it all if the head Vamp contin ...more
James
Jul 13, 2010 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenna Allen
This book had great potential. Vampires loose running around in a jail, i'd be scared. But It was way too drawn out, it seemed like there wasnt much he could do in a jail so he kept having to think up different obsticals that were just unbelievable. Why would anyone wait until the sun went down to come in to fight the vampires? I dont care how much they want to do it by the book they wouldnt do that. Also Laura randomly knew things that she shouldnt have known yet. I liked that this one had a ni ...more
Jeff Jellets
Mar 14, 2014 Jeff Jellets rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror, vampires

Vixens & Vampires Brawl Inside A Women’s Prison.

Author David Wellington has crafted one of my favorite horror serials and, as we hit book four in the series, the story of reluctant vampire hunter Laura Caxton shows little sign of losing momentum or the author any of the originality that has set this series apart from more standard vampire fare. Jailed for her actions at the end of the last book, Vampire Zero, 23 Hours opens with Caxton incarcerated within the walls of the Marcy State Correct
Randy Ray
This was a fun read. Wellington's a good writer. I didn't even realize I was in the middle of a series of books until I was halfway through the novel, and only then because I looked at Wellington's website. It's always great when a novel that's part of a series can stand alone like that.

The book is a cross between Orange Is the New Black and Nosferatu. The pacing was excellent and the characters well-drawn. I thought the ending was a little abrupt, though.

It's definitely worth a read, though, e
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
J’ai enfin lu le dernier tome parut en France des Vampire Story et je suis pas du tout déçu !! A la fin du précédent volume, on savait que Laura Caxton avait été arrêté pour torture et meurtre, et bien évidemment comme il fallait se l’attendre, l’action se passe dans la prison de cette dernière. Et c’est justement cet environnement qui est le gros point fort de ce livre. Ça rappelle un peu les romans de chambres closes d’Agatha Christie mais en plus gore et avec moins de mystères, enfin pas le m ...more
Amanda
Mar 09, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
I read 23 Hours--the fourth Laura Caxton novel--with zero exposure to previous novels in this series, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover the story measured up to expectations despite not having read the earlier books. This novel was recommended to me based on similar purchases, and the fact that I read Wellington's Frostbite: A Werewolf Tale, which I enjoyed.

The loose plot summary: cop-turned-con fights her way through vampire-infested prison, immediately perked my interest. Since I am
Michelle
Jul 14, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-i-read
It's been a while since I last read a book by David Wellington let alone one that made up the Laura Caxton series so maybe this has something to do with the reason I didn't love it. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story just not as much as I did the others.

When we last saw Caxton in Vampire Zero she had just hunted and killed Jameson Arkley, her mentor, who in a previous book accepted the vampire curse and was now offering the same thing to his family members. In order to catch the man turned v
C.V. Hunt
May 10, 2011 C.V. Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This review is not only for 23 hours, but for the whole Laura Caxton series.
This series had to be one of the best vampire series that I read in a long time. Lately, with the YA vampire craze, the ‘goody little two shoes’ vampires have been running ramped through the book market. There are really only two ways to write a vampire book. The first, make them cuddly, and little sense of humanity left, or the second, make them the monsters that they are, and the motive is to destroy them. David chose
Yashira Negron
I read this a long time ago, but this was actually my first ever vampire book, and actually got me interested in all things vampire, especially TV shows like Vampire Diaries even Twilight. Its pretty intriguing book. Although this is the fourth book of David Wellington's Vampire Series,this was the first book I read from his series. I thought it was a stand alone novel, but luckily was not confused reading this. Will be picking up all the prior books to pick up on things I may have missed.
Cheryl
23 Hours is the fourth book in the Laura Caxton series, about a State Trooper who becomes a vampire-hunter. This story takes place in a prison, where Laura is an inmate. The vampires are scary, and the action is good, but Laura is not a very sympathetic character - she's actually pretty socially retarded. She is a good kick-ass character, and the story moves quickly; if you are after a quick vampire action story this book is a good choice.
Allison
Apr 26, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wellington takes that strange feeling that the last two of his novels and throws it out thew window from the get go. This goes right back the "something bad is going to happen" feeling from Thirteen Bullets.

Wellington throws you right into the prison with Caxton at the start and lets the whole situation implode within a matter of 60 pages or so. But you don't really notice that is it moving so fast because the action keeps you locked right in.

For all those who have gone through the series, you'
aaron
Jul 10, 2009 aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the last novel in this series ended with vampire hunter laura caxton killing off her former mentor/friend detective arkley since he had become a vampire to save her in 99 coffins. now she is in prison for questioning a witness with extreme measures. in prison she is forced to lose some of her humanity as she goes through the daily routines of cell life. in there she meets a new friend, gerty, a fellow inmate who has a huge set of baggage. unfortunately while caxton took down arkley, she wasn't a ...more
John Onoda
Aug 09, 2012 John Onoda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you were going to give this book a Hollywood type description, you could say it was "Die Hard in a prison with vampires."

Almost all the book takes place in the Marcy State Correctional Institution in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, where former state trooper and federal officer Laura Caxton is now an inmate. Not only do the other prisoners want to kill her, but the facility comes under the control of Laura's nemesis, Justinia Malvern, and the slaughter begins.

The clock is ticking. Something awfu
Jeff
Mar 06, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy vampire stories a lot more when the vampires are not conflicted and emotional. Instead, Wellington continues to layer on depth and complexity on all his human characters, including supporting cast that could have easily been written as two-dimensional characters. Juggling this complexity with the violence and savagery of the evil undead, and keeping the reader glued to their seat in suspense while he does it, is a skill that sets Wellington apart from the majority of his peers.
Shelly
This is the fourth book in Wellington's vampire series and seems to be a very satisfying fourth book. I'm sure it could be read as a stand alone, but it would make much more sense if you read 13 Bullets, 99 Coffins and Vampire Zero first.

Lots and lots of action in this one, right from the beginning. I didn't find it as draggy as Vampire Zero, hence the extra star. It was nice to have some human bad gals for a change... mix it up a bit, keep things interesting. Is it the end of the series? Only W
Randy
Had to read this one so I could catch up and know what was happening in the last obey high I picked up first. Laura's in jail, and Clara gets captured by Malvern. She, of. Ourselves, has set things up to torture Laura. It's not until the end when we learn thus isn't the end at all.

Now playing hot the next one.
Paul-Baptiste
An enjoyable read. Not quite as cohesive as the previous three in the series and less vampiresque, but still an exciting story with lots of action and great characters. Looking forward to no. 5 as this was a definite build up to that.
Natalie Ward
Oct 05, 2014 Natalie Ward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it...just wish I'd known it was book 4 in the series... Still, it can be read as a stand alone.
Donna
Aug 11, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I read this book because it looked like an interesting addition to the paranormal/vampire thing that's so popular at the moment. May I add, it's completely different to any vampire book around in the moment, because the vampires are truly evil, and ugly :-) Thanks to twilight, the vamps are always good looking, but in23 Hours, they are truly frightening. This is the first vampire book to actually scare me since I was a teenager reading Salem's Lot :-) Having said that, after starting, I realised ...more
Jean-Luc
Jul 23, 2009 Jean-Luc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read 13 Bullets, 99 Coffins or Vampire Zero, it's ok. Wellington weaves his vampire mythos and character backgrounds seamlessly with the action.

And there's so much action. A few times I had to stop and move back a few paragraphs because the situation changed so damn fast.

The plot is completely unchanged from Vampire Zero. Start w/ vampire hunter Laura Caxton. Put her in the worst situation possible. People die horribly. Somehow, the situation gets even worse. Repeat.

If that namby-
Joe Robles
Apr 17, 2010 Joe Robles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if Wellington will return to this series, but he does leave it open at the end for more. Have to say I loved this series. I've said it before: David Wellington made Vampires scary again. No supernatural love affairs, no vamps with long flowing hair. The relationship between Caxton and her lover Hsu is realistic in it's complexity and never devolves into cheap lesbian fantasy. And I loved the ending which shows that being a vampire hunter is not a job, but a calling, a duty.

If his zombie
Erik
Jul 20, 2012 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest install of the Laura Claxton vampire books started great. The setting was fantastic, the action zipped along wonderfully, and the concept was great. I really thought that this was the best of the series up until the ending. I absolutely hated the ending. Brought it down from 5 star review to 3 stars. Don't want to say more for fear of being a spoiler, but the ending felt like this is going to go on and on and on. It is a good (not great) series, time to end it and move on to another.
Amy
Oct 03, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I can't say too much about 23 Hours without giving away the twist involved at the end of Vampire Zero. All I can say is that the setting was something I didn't expect and it gives Laura Caxton an entire new set of challenges to face. I am eagerly awaiting the release of the next volume in the Caxton series, which will be title either 32 Fangs or 32 Teeth, depending on the source you get your information from.

Happy Summer reading everyone!
Amanda Kay
Nov 20, 2010 Amanda Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give it a 5 star rating but since i haven't read the ones before this (i didnt know it was part of a series when i checked it out from the library lol)....it was still a good read....although....if you dont like cussing in your books i wouldn't suggest reading this....if i could give this book a rating...it would be an R or NC17

all in all i enjoyed this book.
Erika
Jan 21, 2014 Erika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didnt enjoy it
Wellington

I only picked up this book because of the author's last name. :) It was an enjoyable book. Didn't know this was #4 in a series but the book can stand-alone. Rather interesting additions like the half-dead, vampires actually getting weaker in age, and vampires liquifying in their concerts in the day only to solidify at night.
Jennie
Apr 22, 2012 Jennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Marcus
May 24, 2011 Marcus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Vampire romance here, a solid suspense/horror story about hideous and evil creatures that think of people as no more than food. I welcome departure from the current vampire offerings. The only book I have read in the series so while the characters were unique, their development was incomplete.
Shane Knysh
Jun 13, 2010 Shane Knysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire, horror, print
23 Hours is the fourth of David Wellington's vampire stories staring vampire hunter Laura Caxton. As usual Wellington does a great job weaving a story around the vampire hunter and the monsters she is obsessed with killing. I really enjoy Wellington's stories and this edition does not disappoint.
  • Every Last Drop (Joe Pitt, #4)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Roses of Blood on Barbwire Vines
  • Fat White Vampire Blues (Fat White Vampire, #1)
  • Werewolf Smackdown (Felix Gomez, #5)
  • Thief of Light  (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #2)
  • 30 Days of Night: Rumors of the Undead
  • Death Mask
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 7: Eben and Stella
  • Bleak History
  • Serpent Moon (A Tale of the Sazi, #8)
  • Pretty When She Dies (Pretty When She Dies, #1)
  • Vampire Trinity (Vampire Queen, #6)
  • The Gathering Dark (Shadow Saga #4)
  • Vampire$
  • The Path of Razors (Vampire Babylon, #5)
  • Live Girls
David Wellington is a contemporary American horror author, best known for his Zombie trilogy as well as his Vampire series and Werewolf series. His books have been translated into eleven langauges and are a global phenomenon.

His career began in 2004 when he started serializing his horror fiction online, posting short chapters of a novel three times a week on a friend’s blog. Response to the projec
More about David Wellington...

Laura Caxton (5 books)
  • 13 Bullets (Laura Caxton, #1)
  • 99 Coffins (Laura Caxton, #2)
  • Vampire Zero (Laura Caxton, #3)
  • 32 Fangs (Laura Caxton, #5)