Start by marking “When the Labels Don't Fit: A New Approach to Raising a Challenging Child” as Want to Read:
When the Labels Don't Fit: A New Approach to Raising a Challenging Child

When the Labels Don't Fit: A New Approach to Raising a Challenging Child

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  9 reviews
“One of the finest and most helpful books we have ever read . . . should be the first stop for any parent trying to help a struggling child.”
—Brock Eide and Fernette Eide, authors of The Mislabeled Child

Finally, a positive approach designed around your child’s traits and needs

Many children do things that seem odd, troubling, or excessive at some point in their development
Published August 26th 2008 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about When the Labels Don't Fit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Labels Don't Fit

Aspasia
I checked this book out at the library after my son's rough year in kindergarten. He was constantly bringing home red frownie faces on his behavior charts and his behavior caused us to have attend multiple meetings at the school. I finally had the school test him "for everything." Although the school claimed they "do not diagnose" they told us he exhibited signs of autism and to show his test results to his doctor. He was seen by a pediatrician, a psychiatrist, and a behavioral specialist. No on ...more
Sheila
I really appreciate the fact that the author of this book looks past "labeling" a child, and prefers to look at the specific traits a child has, and approach the issues individual by figuring out what the child may need to feel more in control of his traits. Society does seem so quick these days to look at any child that is different and want to attach labels to them, give them therapies, or medicate them to make the fit in to their expectations of "normal". It is refreshing to see an author (wh ...more
Kathee
Interesting and creative approach to figuring out and advocating for your child. Sort of a "love and logic" for the twice-exceptional child (although maybe that last part is labeling). I liked the emphasis on considering the child as an individual and looking for ways of positively supporting the child. A straight-forward book -- no jargon, no teacher-speak or medical-speak here. Some of it is just good parenting put into the context of dealing with particularly challenging children, helping to ...more
Kerry
Mar 10, 2009 Kerry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and teachers
I'm always looking for books which will be helpful to parents, educators, and home-schoolers--this one is a winner. Learn how to better understand your child's temperament, as well as your own, and how to tailor your parenting/teaching strategies to the unique individual. This is a wonderfully strength-based approach to working with unique and quirky children--and in my opinion, that's all children!
Linda
Oct 16, 2011 Linda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A local author, that I have not met, but is highly spoken of. I have my little wonder, now 11. She is classified by one of the four letter labels, non medicated. I just ordered this book on my Kindle, to hopefully make life better for her and myself as well. Middle School, puberty are the big bumps, and I'm hoping this book might answer some questions.
Desiree
This was a terrific look at the problem of over-diagnosis brought about by our current healthcare system and helicopter parents wanting super-children.
I wish I'd been able to employ some of these techniques and ideas before my own child became an adolescent but I'd recommend this highly for parents of any child of any age who is a little bit "different."
Lori Werhane
thought provoking. getting past labels and talking about temperament and environment was very helpful in understanding day to day frustrations... certainly frustrations in specific settings like school or even a specific classroom. loved that it encouraged appreciation for quirky.. and positive parenting.
Jon
A refreshing view of thinking outside the "diagnosis" box for raising children with special needs. Although the quiz that is supposed to help you determine how to help your child is fairly useless, the rest of the book is a good starting point in thinking about how to address your child's specific needs.
Thorn MotherIssues
Really liked this one for the quiz on different mental styles -- good for kids and parents alike. I think I'll want to come back to that once we're parenting.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Ma. Nancy
Ma. Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Talal Alabdeli
Talal Alabdeli marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Tiffanny Bernsee
Tiffanny Bernsee is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Brenda
Brenda is currently reading it
May 07, 2013
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Barbara Probst is a licensed clinical social worker specializing in “difficult” or “different” children and their families. She also teaches at Fordham University's Graduate School of Social Service, where she is obtaining her doctorate, and gives frequent presentations to parent and professional groups throughout the country. Her book When the Labels Don't Fit (Crown/Three Rivers Press, 2008) off ...more
More about Barbara Probst...
Lacanian Ink 36   The Gaze Barbara Probst