Start by marking “When the Labels Don't Fit: A New Approach to Raising a Challenging Child” as Want to Read:
When the Labels Don't Fit: A New Approach to Raising a Challenging Child

When the Labels Don't Fit: A New Approach to Raising a Challenging Child

“One of the finest and most helpful books we have ever read . . . should be the first stop for any parent trying to help a struggling child.”
—Brock Eide and Fernette Eide, authors of The Mislabeled Child

Finally, a positive approach designed around your child’s traits and needs

Many children do things that seem odd, troubling, or excessive at some point in their development
Published August 26th 2008 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about When the Labels Don't Fit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Labels Don't Fit

Aspasia
Aug 10, 2014 Aspasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I checked this book out at the library after my son's rough year in kindergarten. He was constantly bringing home red frownie faces on his behavior charts and his behavior caused us to have attend multiple meetings at the school. I finally had the school test him "for everything." Although the school claimed they "do not diagnose" they told us he exhibited signs of autism and to show his test results to his doctor. He was seen by a pediatrician, a psychiatrist, and a behavioral specialist. No on ...more
Sheila
I really appreciate the fact that the author of this book looks past "labeling" a child, and prefers to look at the specific traits a child has, and approach the issues individual by figuring out what the child may need to feel more in control of his traits. Society does seem so quick these days to look at any child that is different and want to attach labels to them, give them therapies, or medicate them to make the fit in to their expectations of "normal". It is refreshing to see an author (wh ...more
Kathee
Jul 02, 2010 Kathee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and creative approach to figuring out and advocating for your child. Sort of a "love and logic" for the twice-exceptional child (although maybe that last part is labeling). I liked the emphasis on considering the child as an individual and looking for ways of positively supporting the child. A straight-forward book -- no jargon, no teacher-speak or medical-speak here. Some of it is just good parenting put into the context of dealing with particularly challenging children, helping to ...more
Kerry
Mar 10, 2009 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and teachers
I'm always looking for books which will be helpful to parents, educators, and home-schoolers--this one is a winner. Learn how to better understand your child's temperament, as well as your own, and how to tailor your parenting/teaching strategies to the unique individual. This is a wonderfully strength-based approach to working with unique and quirky children--and in my opinion, that's all children!
Lori Werhane
thought provoking. getting past labels and talking about temperament and environment was very helpful in understanding day to day frustrations... certainly frustrations in specific settings like school or even a specific classroom. loved that it encouraged appreciation for quirky.. and positive parenting.
Linda
Oct 16, 2011 Linda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A local author, that I have not met, but is highly spoken of. I have my little wonder, now 11. She is classified by one of the four letter labels, non medicated. I just ordered this book on my Kindle, to hopefully make life better for her and myself as well. Middle School, puberty are the big bumps, and I'm hoping this book might answer some questions.
Jon
Jan 02, 2009 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing view of thinking outside the "diagnosis" box for raising children with special needs. Although the quiz that is supposed to help you determine how to help your child is fairly useless, the rest of the book is a good starting point in thinking about how to address your child's specific needs.
Desiree
Nov 23, 2010 Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a terrific look at the problem of over-diagnosis brought about by our current healthcare system and helicopter parents wanting super-children.
I wish I'd been able to employ some of these techniques and ideas before my own child became an adolescent but I'd recommend this highly for parents of any child of any age who is a little bit "different."
Thorn MotherIssues
Feb 11, 2009 Thorn MotherIssues rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008
Really liked this one for the quiz on different mental styles -- good for kids and parents alike. I think I'll want to come back to that once we're parenting.
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Shaun
Shaun rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Darby
Darby rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2009
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2010
Mindy Long
Mindy Long rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Amy Skalicky
Amy Skalicky rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Alissa
Alissa rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2009
D
D rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Lyndah Kolkmann
Lyndah Kolkmann rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Audra
Audra rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Candice
Candice rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Cathy Frank
Cathy Frank rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2009
Huda
Huda rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Sarah Furan
Sarah Furan rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Danni
Danni rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2010
Juli Manke
Juli Manke rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2017
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 24, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Barbara Probst is a licensed clinical social worker specializing in “difficult” or “different” children and their families. She also teaches at Fordham University's Graduate School of Social Service, where she is obtaining her doctorate, and gives frequent presentations to parent and professional groups throughout the country. Her book When the Labels Don't Fit (Crown/Three Rivers Press, 2008) off ...more
More about Barbara Probst...