Start by marking “Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution, #1)” as Want to Read:
Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution, #1)

Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  8 reviews
First volume in the French Revolution series; the people wanted to see their Louis as king in his own right, bringing back glory to France and prosperity to their hearths, but Louis cared only for the thrills of hunting and gambling, the excitements of war, until even these paled before the sensual delights offered by a succession of mistresses from beautiful waiting women ...more
Published (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Louis the Well Beloved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louis the Well Beloved

Syrdarya
I listened to this as an audiobook and the reader's voices for children and women were very annoying, but not enough to make me quit listening. This is a book that I would have preferred to read at least in ebook format so that I could see the spellings for all the names and titles.

On the plus side, I am a huge Victoria Holt fan (one of Jean Plaidy's other aliases), and I always meant to read some of the historical fiction published under her Jean Plaidy pseudonym, so I was excited to get ahold
Phil Syphe
I read this because I'm interested in France's Bourbon kings and Madame de Pompadour. I 'm also a fan of the author.

I think that Jean Plaidy did a good job bringing the early to mid-eighteenth-century France to life. I like her portrayal of Louis XV, whom we get to see grow from a five-year-old up to about thirty. As a child he comes across as a spoiled brat with no interest in the French people who cheer and adore him. Yet as he becomes a man, little of his character alters.

I found myself likin
Victoria
This hasn't been my favourite Plaidy novel, I must say.

It details the life of the young Louis XV and his earlier mistresses and his wife. I found the story a little dull in places. I also couldn't help thinking Louis' daughters were slightly bratty.

I will read the other two books in the series, mainly because I already have them.
Lucy
This deliciously French historical on Louis XV, the Well- beloved (le bien aimé) just led me to further embrace my passion for reading Plaidy. Simply put: History at its best. Yes, I did say history, because no matter that Plaidy’s novels classify as HF, you just need to read one to immediately understand that this is an accurate version of the past retold in its best form.

Louis The Well Beloved, Jean Plaidy

The story begins with the Sun King, Louis XIV (Louis XV’s great grandfather) on his death
Lisa
It's OK. I can't help feeling how utterly sad we human beings are, our own worst enemies. He
Kavita
This book describes the life of Louis XV and his succession of mistresses, which angered the Parisians. The story is told through the eyes of the various mistresses and as usual, Plaidy tells a good story. I am hoping it will get more intricate in her subsequent books of her series as it does get a little boring to read about what the King's mistresses do to keep him interested, and how they fail (or succeed).

Catherine
What a quick and easy, smooth read. No wonder I was lured to this, just found out that Jean Plaidy is also Victoria Holt. I found myself looking up the characters on the internet (well, mostly his mistresses) to put a face to the characters and the events that happened was on track with the book. I can't wait to receive the 2nd book in this series!
Karen Galber
Tells the story of Louis xv and his mistresses. Louis had no interest in ruling but did so through his ministers. He only lived for pleasure. He partied while the rest of France starved. This was the beginnings of the road towards the French Revolution.
Stephen Purdy
Stephen Purdy marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Liz Wharton
Liz Wharton marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Leslie Smith
Leslie Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Karon Buxton
Karon Buxton marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Katherine Cook
Katherine Cook marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Mezza_B
Mezza_B marked it as to-read
Shilo Burt
Shilo Burt marked it as to-read
Vanessa Morrow
Vanessa Morrow marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Cheryl Shorter
Cheryl Shorter marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Carson
Carson marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Cindy Costerison
Cindy Costerison marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Jo Crawford
Jo Crawford is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2015
Victoria Holt, J...: Revolution Series 11 16 Feb 08, 2013 10:50AM
  • The French Mistress: A Novel of the Duchess of Portsmouth and King Charles II
  • Queen's Confession: A Fictional Autobiography
  • The Hostage Queen
  • Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow (Marie Antoinette, #2)
  • Farewell, My Queen
  • Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • Trianon: A Novel of Royal France
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • The Secret Life of Josephine: Napoleon's Bird of Paradise
  • The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette (Young Royals, #6)
  • Eleanor the Queen
  • For the King
  • The Last Great Dance on Earth (Josephine Bonaparte, #3)
  • The Lady of the Sea (Tristan and Isolde, #3)
  • Courtesan
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette
  • Palace of Justice (Aristide Ravel, #2)
  • The Gilded Lily
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

French Revolution (3 books)
  • The Road to Compiegne (French Revolution, #2)
  • Flaunting, Extravagant Queen (French Revolution, #3)
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown (Tudor Saga #1)