Start by marking “Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution, #1)” as Want to Read:
Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution, #1)

Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  6 reviews
First volume in the French Revolution series; the people wanted to see their Louis as king in his own right, bringing back glory to France and prosperity to their hearths, but Louis cared only for the thrills of hunting and gambling, the excitements of war, until even these paled before the sensual delights offered by a succession of mistresses from beautiful waiting women...more
Published (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Louis the Well Beloved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louis the Well Beloved

Syrdarya
I listened to this as an audiobook and the reader's voices for children and women were very annoying, but not enough to make me quit listening. This is a book that I would have preferred to read at least in ebook format so that I could see the spellings for all the names and titles.

On the plus side, I am a huge Victoria Holt fan (one of Jean Plaidy's other aliases), and I always meant to read some of the historical fiction published under her Jean Plaidy pseudonym, so I was excited to get ahold...more
Victoria
This hasn't been my favourite Plaidy novel, I must say.

It details the life of the young Louis XV and his earlier mistresses and his wife. I found the story a little dull in places. I also couldn't help thinking Louis' daughters were slightly bratty.

I will read the other two books in the series, mainly because I already have them.
Lucy
This deliciously French historical on Louis XV, the Well- beloved (le bien aimé) just led me to further embrace my passion for reading Plaidy. Simply put: History at its best. Yes, I did say history, because no matter that Plaidy’s novels classify as HF, you just need to read one to immediately understand that this is an accurate version of the past retold in its best form.

Louis The Well Beloved, Jean Plaidy

The story begins with the Sun King, Louis XIV (Louis XV’s great grandfather) on his death...more
Lisa
It's OK. I can't help feeling how utterly sad we human beings are, our own worst enemies. He
Kavita
This book describes the life of Louis XV and his succession of mistresses, which angered the Parisians. The story is told through the eyes of the various mistresses and as usual, Plaidy tells a good story. I am hoping it will get more intricate in her subsequent books of her series as it does get a little boring to read about what the King's mistresses do to keep him interested, and how they fail (or succeed).

Catherine
What a quick and easy, smooth read. No wonder I was lured to this, just found out that Jean Plaidy is also Victoria Holt. I found myself looking up the characters on the internet (well, mostly his mistresses) to put a face to the characters and the events that happened was on track with the book. I can't wait to receive the 2nd book in this series!
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Gemma Robinson
Gemma Robinson marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Mandi Smith
Mandi Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Anna Helene
Anna Helene marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Eugine
Eugine marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Sigrid
Sigrid marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Elspeth G. Perkin
Elspeth G. Perkin marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Lanna
Lanna marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Sanz
Sanz marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kenedy M
Kenedy M marked it as to-read
Cathy Beckett
Cathy Beckett marked it as to-read
Lynnda
Lynnda marked it as to-read
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Alexandra Devidal
Alexandra Devidal marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Victoria Holt, J...: Revolution Series 11 16 Feb 08, 2013 10:50AM
  • Queen's Confession: A Fictional Autobiography
  • The French Mistress: A Novel of the Duchess of Portsmouth and King Charles II
  • Annette Vallon: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow (Marie Antoinette, #2)
  • Eleanor the Queen
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • Courtesan
  • To Dance with Kings
  • Farewell, My Queen
  • The Last Great Dance on Earth (Josephine Bonaparte, #3)
  • Before Versailles: A Novel of Louis XIV
  • Mistress of the Revolution
  • The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette (Young Royals, #6)
  • The Gilded Lily
  • Perdita: The Literary, Theatrical, Scandalous Life of Mary Robinson
  • Marie-Thérèse, Child of Terror: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter
  • Lucia: A Venetian Life in the Age of Napoleon
  • The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million)....more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Queens of England Series, #11)