Start by marking “Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)” as Want to Read:
Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)

Squire (Protector of the Small #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  32,505 ratings  ·  456 reviews
When Kel is chosen by the legendary Lord Raoul to be his squire, the conservatives of the realm hardly think she’s up to the job. Kel earns respect and admiration among the men, as well as the affection of a fellow squire.
“This feminist fantasy is a delightful read.”—KLIATT

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Squire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Squire

Anila
This was supposed to be the one where I let myself reminisce, and I had all sorts of ideas for things I wanted to say, but now they all sort of sound like oversharing and I don't feel like making you uncomfortable, so I'm not going to do that.

Instead...

It has come to my attention that certain people don't think this is a particularly 'moral' book. Not to name any names, but there are only two one-star reviews for it so I think you'll be able to find the one I mean pretty easily. I don't believe
Rachel E. Carter
Buddy Reread 1/29/15-1/30/15 w/Monica (the other Tamora Pierce lover who thinks Alanna is still more legendary, hmmph!)

Read this series. If you love fantasy and action and light but worthwhile romance with a strong protagonist and amazing worlds and believable characters and awesome friendships and epic pets and straight-out-of-a-movie battle sequences then read this series.

description

5 STARS AND THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT.
Kaye
This review was from my snarky early teen years. I only kept it up to keep a trail for myself of how I've grown, figuratively and mentally.

Since people see fit to stumble on it once in a while and leave long comments telling me how wrong/ignorant/prudish I am, I'm removing it.

And I'm removing those comments as well. Because I don't have time for that.
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Kelladry has passed all four years of being a page, and is now a squire. The only problem is that no knight has picked her for their squire. She is finally picked by Raoul Goldenlake, Commander of the Kings Own. As she accompanies Raoul on his adventures, she is accompanied by her old friends Jump, the dog, and Crown and her flock of sparrows. She also gains a Griffin rescued from a centaur raid.

Kelladry has matured
Hannah
This is my favourie in the series. I love this book!! Kel is now a squire to Lord Raoul, at first she is nervous but the two soon become very close. Kel gets better and better at fighting and leading people. Kel even starts a budding romance. I love the relationship her and Raoul have, I love reading about the realationships between a young person and their mentor! Plus I just love Raoul in general , he is such an awesome character! One of my favourite Tamora Pierce books yet and a favourite in ...more
Hannah
It's feminist, it's fantasy, and its alternately funny or full of feelings. What's not to love?

I also find it a lot easier to relate to the characters when their older- while I enjoyed the first two books of Kel's series, and indeed Alanna's as well, having them grow up and encounter adult situations and choices is a lot more interesting that their exploits as a child.

Reasons why this book rocks:

1. Periods are something that almost all teenage girls have to deal with. And when you're an ass-kick
PB
Overall, great book. Love the way Kel takes agency, love that her Knight Master treats her well, love that sexist idiots get just punishments.

One thing.

Kel blames herself (and Lalasa partly) for not reporting Vinson. Kel reasons that had Vinson been reported, he would not assault and rape other girls. I think that's a really harmful portrayal of abusers, and if there are girls reading it who chose not to report their abusers, there is a chance they'd be retriggered in their self-blame spiral.

T
Marilag
Okay, I meant to do a review of the entire series, but Squire made my heart soar that I couldn't just step away and say: "Will review the series at the end."

Squire Keladry is a diamond. She's a girl undergoing her knighthood training some century after lady knights have grown out of fashion in Tortall. Save Alanna, of course; but to Tortallans, the Lioness is an entity in herself. So it's up to Kel to turn the conservatives' heads the other way by making her own statement: that girls can be knig
Aaron
I stopped about halfway through. What was once a charming little story about a girl who just wants to be a knight has now become a propaganda piece about how sex has no consequences and how sexual experimentation and promiscuity is to be embraced as it is the only way to be free from oppressors who would dare to suggest any virtue in chastity. Tamora, this is a children's book. The main character is only 14 (she was only 10 or 11 when the series began). It is bad enough that underaged sex is so ...more
Tricia
Bridget Mckinney

Squire is basically everything I could ever want in a Tamora Pierce book, and if this series ended here, I would be okay with that. Kel really is a wonderful heroine, and I loved getting to see her finally achieve her dream in this novel.

Things about Squire:
- I was very happy that the trial for Lalasa's attackers wasn't forgotten, and I really liked the way that played out.
- King Jonathan is a great character, and it's been really interesting to see how he has grown and changed over time throu

Minli
It's 2 am and I'm writing reviews.

I rarely revisit books I read in my childhood, partly because I'm deathly afraid they'll be visited by the suck fairy and partly because I rarely have time to re-read. Not so with these books. I began reading Tamora Pierce when I was eleven, and unlike so many others, I started reading her Circle of Magic books first. While I enjoyed them, I didn't understand why she inspired such fervent love in other fans--until I read her Tortall books.

And yes, I enjoyed the
Ashley
Funnily enough, Squire follows our heroine, Keladry of Mindelan, through her years as a squire. I know, right? Who'd have guessed.

I'm not sure why I'm being so snarky about this, the book was lovely. At this point in the series, I'm not sure if there's any more apt of a word to describe Kel than to say she's 'steadfast.' She not only survives her (3-4?) years as a squire -- and she squires for no less of a knight than Raoul of Goldenlake, the commander of the King's Own, protectors of the realm
Stephanie Jobe
This volume always feels like the time flies by even though it is longer to account for the four years as a squire. The book opens with Kel stressing over having not been chosen as a squire, but that is quickly remedied when she is chosen by Lord Raoul and so she continues her adventures with the King’s Own. It always baffles me looking back that the griffin is only in Kel’s life for less than a book because the creature is definitely a presence. (I don’t quite consider this a spoiler as it is d ...more
Emma Michaels
In this novel Kel has to go through four years as a squire before she can become a knight. For those of you who have read the first two books you will understand what I mean when I say: Yes! One step closer Kel just get through this and you will be a knight!!! Not to say that the adventure ends when she becomes a knight because in Lady Knight you realize the adventure is only just beginning but that is for my next review. In Squire Tamora Pierce as always hits the ball out of the park and makes ...more
Kathy Davie
Third in the Protector of the Small series within the overall Tortall series. It revolves around Keladry of Mindelan, the second girl in the kingdom who wants to become a knight.

My Take
Parents, you really do want your girls to read this whole series. It promotes equality for girls and boys and shows the pluses and minuses of one's reception when pursuing a dream. There are good and bad people in this series, just as there is in real life and Pierce provides plenty of examples of some good ways t
Rhiannon Ryder
Although completing her Big Test to become a Squire was an enormous challenge due to her enemies at court, Kel is quickly discovering that being a girl squire is making it almost as difficult to get a Knight Master to train with for the next four years. Worse still, Neal ends up with her dream canidate. But as fortune would have it, this leaves Keladry of Midelan free to become squire to one of the most influential knights of the Realm. Lord Raoul of Goldenlake, Commander of the Kings Own.

Of the
Ryan
Squire is my favorite book in the series. It is very much the "coming of age" book for its main protagonist, Kel. She has graduated from page training and become a squire, ready to be trained in the field by a knight...if only one would pick her. Most of her friends have been snapped up already, and most of the knights who intend to take squires for training have already made their choices. It leaves her feeling morose, believing that nobody would want "the girl" to train.

Luckily, she is proven
lisa
04/13: it doesn't matter how often i read these books, i inevitably spend half the time clutching the book to my chest and declaring my love for all of the characters and crying about how much i love everyone.

-----

09/10: oh my god raoul, there aren't enough heart-hands IN THE WORLD. he is so good and smart and funny and amazing! he has such faith in kel and in the system, and i mean, seriously, people with stupid amounts of honor are such a turn-on for me, and hfurevhreu RAOUL.

neal telling kel w
Sean Llewellyn Williams
Delightful and full of excellent nuances, but compared to the first two books in the series this felt a little transitional, wrapping up plots from the first two books and setting us up for the big finale. Still, onward! I'll be sad when Kel's story comes to an end.
Emily
Is it sacrilegious to say I think I like these better than the Alanna books? Certainly better than the Daine books. Kel might just be my favorite Pierce heroine yet, and that is really saying something. I love these!
Kristin
The plot was not well defined, but it was still an enjoyable adventure as I have found all of this author's books to be. I liked this one better than the first two in this quartet.
Andy P
How to talk about this book? I like it, I do. It's not badly written and the characters have their own distinct personalities. However there are two things that made this book a complete slog for me.

(view spoiler)
Gail
A girl in a man's world and she has more integrity that a lot of them. She gets through being a squire for Raoul and does it better than most. She is a girl with a level head, the ability to not complain, gets attached to the animals she rescues and keeps her humbleness. This book shows a great example of someone who relies on herself and does not make excuses for her mistakes or shortcomings. I appreciate the character and the strength that she shows-- especially in this world where the opposit ...more
Dee
Raoul really came to the fore in this book. He's pretty much the epitome of older brother, wise mentor in this. Kel learns about being in the field and leadership in Squire. People are still prejudiced, the Yamani arrive, some friends undertake the Ordeal of Knighthood, likewise some enemies. Kel, like many young girls, falls in and out of love, has crushes both requited and not, and really this is normal human behaviour. I was pretty non-typical as a teen but for certain my friends were often i ...more
Tonileg
This is the third book in the 'Protector of the small' quartet and we witness Kel grow up from 14 to 18 when she finally goes into the Knight ordeal.
We see the childhood bullies finally grow up and mature or get their just desserts so there are no surprises in that corner. The big surprises are in how Kel becomes a woman in many ways as well as her sexual side (nothing serious) but she does have her first boyfriend. I really didn't like that she took the guilt of staying quiet about Vinson's cri
Lea Bourg'
May 29, 2015 Lea Bourg' rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lea by: Asm63
Shelves: must-read
A third book really AMAZING !!
Kel has finally become squire and her Ordeal's approaching fast. While she became the squire of the famous Lord Raoul, she still has to prove her worth against all those who doubt her ...
The author's style is still awesome, the universe is sooo AMAZING (I love griffins although I would not want one for the world !!) and the plot and subplots are politically twisted but so awesome >< (Small maneuvers of the conservatives passionate me ><)
Kel has really gr
Monica
1/31/15 buddy re-read with Rachel

This was the BESTEST BESTEST BESTEST. Tamora Pierce, as always, tackles Really Important Issues, but in this book she does so in the most explicit and quotable way I've ever seen her do before. This book also both appeased and incited the fangirl in me, and I can't even describe it except to say that I love it to pieces.

The way time passed seems kind of fuzzy and inconsistent, but who the fuck cares? Not me.
Fantasy Literature
Keladry of Mindelin (or "Kel" as she's better known) has finally completed her page training, passed her exams and conquered the ongoing bullying that's plagued her since she first signed up to become a Lady Knight. Now that she is a squire, she's eager to begin her duties under a knight of the realm — and is shocked and awed when Raoul of Goldenlake offers to take her on. Anyone who has read the Song of the Lioness quartet knows how much of a legend he is in Tortall. Soon the two are a close kn ...more
Lee Ann
!!!!!!!!! Where do I start with this book?! I loved books one and two, but book three was definitely best so far. I laughed, I cried, I cheered, I cried some more -- or at least tried to contain all my reactions, considering I read most of this book in the library while I was at work and didn't want the patrons to think I was losing my mind.

I have no complaints. Pacing was good, characters were more lovable than ever. I've heard a lot of backlash about her "sexualization" of Kel, but, uhh... new
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • Page (Tamora Pierce Novel)
  • Arrow's Flight (Heralds of Valdemar, #2)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Half-Human
  • Year of the Griffin (Derkholm, #2)
  • The Crow (The Books of Pellinor, #3)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

Protector of the Small (4 books)
  • First Test (Protector of the Small, #1)
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)
  • Lady Knight (Protector of the Small, #4)
Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4) In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3) Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)

“When people say a knight's job is all glory, I laugh and laugh and laugh. Often I can stop laughing before they edge away and talk about soothing drinks.” 368 likes
“I'm sick of this. Call me what you like, say I'm without honor, I don't care. I'm not getting on any more horses to whack you people with a stick.” 192 likes