Start by marking “The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)

The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga #11)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  295 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Richard the Second was losing his hold on the crown and ambitious eyes were turning toward it. Henry of Bolingbroke, son of John of Gaunt, had married the heiress Mary de Bohun and by her had six children, the eldest of whom was Harry of Monmouth.

Bolingbroke was exiled by the King but returned to England when Richard confiscated John of Gaunt's estates. Bolingbroke came to
Published December 1st 1982 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Star of Lancaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star of Lancaster

The Reluctant Bride by Beverley EikliMarksman by David        CookFirebolt by Adrienne WoodsThe Last Gift by Carla AchesonThe Gilded Fan by Christina Courtenay
best historical fiction in my opinion 3
156th out of 160 books — 76 voters
The Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Reckoning by Sharon Kay Penman
Kings of Fiction
150th out of 160 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

anna
I enjoyed reading Plaidy's account of the early life and childhood of the boy who would become King Henry V, especially the female POV of his mother, an all too often ignored figure, in the early chapters. I barely knew that Henry had 2 sisters as well as his 3 more famous brothers.

The first part covering the reign of Henry IV was definitely stronger than the second part on Henry V which seemed rushed, covering some 7 years in about 50 pages. This could have been a lot larger and far more detai
Kathy  Petersen
I am always skeptical of historical fiction. Too often it's a romance novel dressed up in period costume. I was thus pleased to discover that Plaidy has a sense of history, a respect for research, solid writing skills. The Plantagenets are old friends of mine, and I enjoy reading their stories in the 942 section of the library. I can safely add Plaidy's novels to that list.
Paola Emilia
Oct 04, 2015 Paola Emilia rated it really liked it
I love Jean Plaidy and really enjoyed her account of Henry V early years such a shame that his star was bright but brief sad destiny of warrior kings.
Zuzana
About Henry IV and his son Henry V. I hoped that there would be more about Azincourt and Henry's courtship of Katherine of Valois.
Lady Jane Grey
Dec 31, 2013 Lady Jane Grey rated it it was amazing
I read this in high school and I wasn't sure when I was reading through the Plantagenet Saga if I should reread this one. Actually, not really, I was reading the whole thing from start to finish and that was the point, so early on I decided to include this one. I had forgotten so much and it was interesting the little things that I remembered. Jean Plaidy's books are dangerously rereadable!
Barbara
This is the 11th part (I think) of this story and it is getting annoying that every books starts with the same events seen from the next king in line. Once you're pst that part it does get interesting though it feels as if Plaidy is getting bored with the story herself and is rushing through the major events.
Sara W
Jul 23, 2007 Sara W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry IV (son of John of Gaunt, grandson of Edward III) married Mary de Bohun (mother of his children, she died prior to him becoming king). Henry IV died and his son, Henry V, took the crown. Henry V married Catherine of Valois (sister of Isabella of Valois who married Richard II).
Angela Joyce
Jul 12, 2011 Angela Joyce rated it really liked it
This part of the Plantagenet Saga is particularly vivid and fascinating without being too lurid. These people had to play some serious mind games to get what they wanted... and things will only get crazier after this one! Henry V was one of the saner kings, it seems.
K.l.
May 04, 2016 K.l. rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, 1000-1500
Not a bad Jean Plaidy, Focus was on young Henry IV, Mary de Bohun and young Henry V.
Karen
Mar 09, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Book, but felt that the ending was rushed.
Foxglove
Aug 11, 2014 Foxglove rated it really liked it
An amazing book, very lush and pretty.
Roula Yasin
Dec 02, 2012 Roula Yasin rated it liked it
Henry IV and Henry V of England
Alison
11th in series
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Maggie Hart
Maggie Hart marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Anni
Anni marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Regina Jalaly-Porter
Regina Jalaly-Porter marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Isabel Bott
Isabel Bott marked it as to-read
Retha Weiss
Retha Weiss rated it it was amazing
K.M. Guerin
K.M. Guerin marked it as to-read
Julie Brueggemann
Julie Brueggemann rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Jennifer Barlow
Jennifer Barlow marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
D.rok
D.rok marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Jim D'Ambrosia
Jim D'Ambrosia rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 12, 2015 12:00PM
  • Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History
  • Eleanor the Queen
  • Queen's Confession: A Fictional Autobiography
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • Harlot Queen
  • The Rose of York: Fall from Grace (The Rose of York Trilogy, #3)
  • The White Boar (Lovell Duo, #1)
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • The Conquest
  • The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2)
  • The People's Queen
  • The King's Mistress
  • The Uncrowned Queen
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Plantagenet Saga (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Plantagenet Prelude (Plantagenet Saga, #1)
  • The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga, #2)
  • The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga, #3)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Plantagenet Saga, #4)
  • The Battle of the Queens (Plantagenet Saga, #5)
  • The Queen from Provence (Plantagenet Saga, #6)
  • Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga, #7)
  • The Follies of the King (Plantagenet Saga, #8)
  • The Vow on the Heron (Plantagenet Saga, #9)
  • Passage to Pontefract (Plantagenet Saga, #10)