Start by marking “Death Times Three” as Want to Read:
Death Times Three

Death Times Three (Nero Wolfe #47)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  624 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Archie Goodwin has his hands full when three baffling murders make him the recipient of a poisonous lunch, the fall guy for a beautiful woman, and the target of the U.S. Federal Government.
Published May 5th 2010 by Bantam (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Death Times Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Times Three

Arah-Lynda
Recently I was doing a forage of my physical shelves in search of a Bachman book when I came across three of the typically slender Rex Stout novels and knew immediately that I would revisit that brownstone on 35th street, occupied by none other than Nero Wolfe and household.

I’ve been here before and as usual I gain entry to the brownstone through the always dapper Mr. Goodwin, Nero’s right hand man. Archie is not without influence in this household and I have it on good authority that he is qui...more
Lisa Kucharski
It's the heavy heart read, the last of the books, the new story Bitter Ends is a fun one to read after Family Affair. We see Wolfe and Archie at their finest and with funny moments as well. A great story which was adapted from the T. Fox story that Stout wrote.

The other two are variations of stories that have been released before. The one Frame Up For Murder changes one character by making her 20 years younger. This involves Archie more in the story and shows how much changing one character chan...more
Jessi
Bitter End
When Fritz falls ill, it's up to Nero Wolfe to fend food for himself. And, wouldn't you know it, the can of liver pate that he eats is poisoned. It's not directed at Wolfe though. No, several cans have problems and Wolfe decides that he will take the case gratis, he's just that pissed off.
Frame-Up for Murder
This is one of the stories that pops up regularly on podcasts. Well, the radio version. Anyway, Archie is approached by the sister of a famous designer. She wants his help to figur...more
Alexis Neal
Another Nero Wolfe threesome--that is to say, a collection of three novellas featuring our favorite fattie and his back-talking sidekick, Archie Goodwin.

In 'Bitter End', Wolfe partakes of a jar of pate that has been laced with quinine. He is, of course, outraged at the insult to his palate, and vows to catch the guilty party. So off Archie goes to Tingley's Tidbits to snoop around. But when Arthur Tingley himself winds up with his throat cut, things get complicated--not least because Wolfe's cli...more
Nan Silvernail
Three Nero Wolfe Mysteries

1) Bitter End - Disaster! Chef Fritz Brenner is forced to stay in bed with La Grippe. Archie Goodwin is making do with canned beans and pickles. Nero Wolfe tries a jar of Tingley's Tidbits, best Liver Pate No. 3 and explodes with fury and revulsion! Some dastard has put quinine in it! Wolfe's palate is outraged and Archie is splattered with spit out pate. Someone is going to pay! But when the man who makes the stuff is found dead, it is not by Wolfe's hand. Someone in t...more
Rusty
My penchant for vintage mysteries recently prompted me to pick up this one. All three mysteries were most entertaining. And, I love the interaction between Nero Wolf and Archie Goodwin which adds so much to the reads. This novel included a most interesting introduction by John McAleer, Stout's official biographer, whose insights into the author's character and work were fascinating.

The first tale was "Bitter End" wherein Archie finds himself involved with a lovely young woman - again! Archie an...more
Ed
#47 entry, and final book, in the Nero Wolfe series. The collection, published 10 years posthumously, contains two novellas to add to the 38 known in the Wolfe canon at the time of Stout's death. In addition, Frame-Up for Murder was published in the Saturday Evening Post as a 79 page expansion of the 48 page Murder Is No Joke published in book form in 1958. A pleasure to finish the Wolfe series with a trio of little seen stories.

Nero Wolfe series - Death Times Three is a collection of Nero Wolfe...more
Stven
This is an unexpected treat! Here we have three Nero Wolfe novellas anthologized for the first time in 1985, a decade subsequent to Rex Stout's death in 1975. My first reading of the Nero Wolfe canon, regarded as 33 novels and 38 novellas until Death Times Three, began around 1973; thus for the last 30 years I had assumed I'd read everything there was to read. Here are three tales, each for a different reason a rewrite for Stout, which have the master's touch and bear reading on their own.

These...more
Vicki Cline
This appears to be the last Rex Stout book published, although the three novellas contained in it aren't new ones, but new versions of already published works. The first one, Bitter End, originally had another detective, Tecumseh Fox, as the main character, who had to soldier on without his own Archie Goodwin. The second one, Frame-Up for Murder, was originally Murder Is No Joke, which appeared in And Four to Go. The last one, Assault on a Brownstone, was originally Counterfeit for Murder, and a...more
Bill  Kerwin
"Death Times Three" is the final volume of Nero Wolfe novellas. Published after his death, it is not a collection of posthumous works but rather three works which--for various reasons--never achieved book publication in precisely this form during his lifetime. Two of the tales had already been published with slightly different characters and conclusions: "Frame Up for Murder" as "Murder is No Joke" in "And Four to Go: (1958) and "Assault on a Brownstone" as "Conterfeit for Murder" in "Homicide T...more
D-day
Death Times Three is not a complete novel, but rather a collection of 3 short stories, 'Bitter End', 'Frame-up For Murder' and 'Assault on a Brownstone'.
The best is 'Bitter End' where Nero Wolfe is determined to find the culprit who has been tampering with his favorite brand of pate. If he solves a murder in the meantime that's just a bonus.
Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe stories are an interesting mix of American and British mystery writing. Nero Wolf is an eccentric loner in the British tradition of Sh...more
JulieLaLa
3.75 stars! I liked these three short-ish stories by Rex Stout. The dialogue and the sentences were crisp and concise. The characters and mysteries were developed quickly with lots of interest and directness and surprising conclusions. I enjoy how the language conveys the reader to the time period when these were written. Pfui! I think this is my last Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin! What flummery!
Hobart
If this book were being released today, I could easily see it being titled "Wolfe's B-sides and Remixes." And then Stout would burst into flames.

We've got a story that was originally a novel for one of Stout's other characters, boiled down and tweaked to be a Wolfe mystery. Which felt pretty fresh, I've gotta say, pretty satisfying work.

Another was a different version of a story I read for the first time this year, and while I liked this version, the one that Stout went with originally is far be...more
Ruth
Three nice novellas -- "Bitter End," "Frame Up for Murder," and "Assault on a Brownstone." "Frame Up" had been in another anthology, but it was still fun. I was intrigued by "Assault" and its animus for the Secret Service/Treasury Dept. I wonder if there's a backgroundt there for Stout, or just a Wolfe-ism. He seems to hate them even for than the FBI.

By Wolfe standards, There weren't sterling witticisms, but there were a couple not so bad ones. My fav was possibly "You can't base your actions o...more
Molly Hansen
It was interesting to explore these stories after reading the history provided in the introduction. Like many others, I continue to re-read Nero Wolfe stories for the wonderful prose -- even though I often remember from the first few pages what twists will come down the line. Here, even though I had literally just read the well-known version of one of the stories the day before reading the "alternate" version included in this collection, I still enjoyed seeing how the dynamics changed between th...more
Lori Bigby
I've been reading a lot of detective short stories and these are good...I wouldn't say great, but good. I enjoyed them. They are part of the genre where there are lots of thugs and private eyes and nice looking broads, well that is the language anyway. But Nero Wolfe is a great character with his big appetite, peculiar habits and outrageous demands. You got to like him. I've seen many of the made for tv shows so I can't read one of these novels without picturing the wonderful actors who played t...more
William Ritch
One new story which was good and from the 1940s I think. And a couple of alternate versions of already read stories. This was published several years after Stout's death. All are well-written.

I am sorry to be at the end. I have now read all of the Nero Wolfe books. That is, all of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books. There are some more written by others. I shall read those sometime.
Katie
This book contains one original story & two stories that were rewritten by Stout. I'd recommend reading the new one & you can skip the other two. He changed the characters a bit & how the plot was revealed, but it wasn't such a drastic change that you'll miss anything by skipping them.
Arthur Gibson
The mysteries were good. The writing was good. But the three stories were so similar that if it wasn't for the names of the characters changing you would be hard pressed to know which story you were reading. It would have been much more enjoyable if they had been different.
Three short stories combine to make triple the fun.
Jeffrey Marks
I really think that Stout's forte was in the novella. These 3 are no exception with some of the characterization (including Hattie Annis) is the best there is.
Tori
So happy to stumble across (used for only $1) a Nero Wolfe I didn't have and hadn't read. Typical Stout, on par with all the others.
Sandra
Murder strikes thrice in these three baffling mysteries of crime and detection.
Andrea
Three alternate versions of other Stout stories.
Dave Peticolas

Well, geez, I read them all!

Amy
Nero Wolfe mysteries -- short stories
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
  • Murder in E Minor
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • The Instant Enemy
  • Cat Of Many Tails
  • The Case of the Half-Wakened Wife (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • Maigret and the Man on the Bench
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • The Big Knockover: Selected Stories and Short Novels
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated...more
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)

“a man owes it to his eyes to let them rest on attractive objects when there are any around.” 0 likes
“Invade a man’s privacy and then put the burden on him.” 0 likes